4th Cube Slot: Generic Slot

Items and Crafting
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
Hi there. This has been on my mind for a while now.

While i really dont like the power creep in this game - especially massive damage modifiers- i do like variety and customization like everybody else. And i guess it is only normal to accept that extra power options are one of the things that makes us come back to game in patches.

So if we are gonna be stronger, instead of randomly increasing our damage modifier by 1000%, i suggest a 4th slot for Cube which is a generic/super slot, meaning you can put any item; weapon/armor/jewelry.
We can't suddenly become 4x stronger with an extra legendary power anyway right :)

Reasons for this;

-An extra generic slot opens up crazy amounts of options, for end game builds and fun builds. Just think of all the options for your favorite builds.
-Much more fun than buffing already astronomic numbers.
-This doesnt buff our damage ridiculously. We already have our huge damage multipliers cubbed anyway. (The most i can think of is Depth Diggers (100% damage) for Inna Generator builds and things like that)
-This is a non RNG based power, which means its totally controlled by players and easy to implement.
-Feel free to post any possible "broken/unacceptable" combinations that could be caused by this idea, as i personally found none.

I guarantee you, 4th slot does NOT mean we get everything we want; meaning this won' t eliminate the meaning of choice. We still have lots of good legendary affixes to chose, and we will always be giving up some important one for another.

What do you think?

Some examples here;

*Depth Diggers or defensive fist weapons(forgot name) or CoE or Band of Rue Chambers for Inna6Raim2 Generator Monks
*Defensive items (lots of options) or some above for Raiment6 Monks
*Elusive Ring or Obsidian or Cindercoat for Unhallowed Essense DH
*FoK dagger for full-vengeance Natalya DH (with Anathema grenade rune) or possibly rings above (which are GREAT choises)
*Blood Brother or Sanguine Vambracers or Iron Heart (depending on what you use) for Invoker6 Crusaders (lots of options here) or Hack cubed if you are using pig sticker or phsysical damage sword
*A defensive weapon possibly for Uliana6 Monk (lots of options here too)
*Unity or CoE (whichever you dont use) for Hammerdins
*Girdle of Giants cubed (while possibly wearing Avalanche belt) for Leapquake Barbs.
*Basically huge amount of choices for Shield Bash Crusaders (also hoping they ACTUALLY fix Rolands and Shield Bash Flail)
*Insane amount of things for Wizards that im too lazy to type
*Insane amount of options for LoN fun builds plus defensive options (possibly) for Charge and WW Barbs
*All the immunity amulets for rest
Definitely want that in the next expansion or with release of additional content.
Both are power creep but at least, with the cube, it's slightly better. Let's not kid ourselves though... the final slot is probably going to be pretty easy...

Furnace
CoE
RoRG
Etc.

It won't really open up many new possibilities.
You could lessen the powercreep by not allowing those clear-cut dps gear on the fourth slot like Furnace, Calamity, etc.
01/19/2017 10:09 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Both are power creep but at least, with the cube, it's slightly better. Let's not kid ourselves though... the final slot is probably going to be pretty easy...

Furnace
CoE
RoRG
Etc.

For almost all builds, you are already cubing a CoE or Rorg into your ring slot, so this actually does provide new possibilities.

But then again, that is rather the point right? The 4th slot should provide some new possibilities, not create something that is overwhelmingly redundant, like a weapon socket to put an emerald in.
01/19/2017 10:09 PMPosted by DoomBringer

Furnace
CoE
RoRG
Etc.

I was actually thinking stuff like;

*Depth Diggers or defensive fist weapons(forgot name) or CoE or Band of Rue Chambers for Inna6Raim2 Generator Monks
*Defensive items (lots of options) or some above for Raiment6 Monks
*Elusive Ring or Obsidian or Cindercoat for Unhallowed Essense DH
*FoK dagger for full-vengeance Natalya DH (with Anathema grenade rune) or possibly rings above (which are GREAT choises)
*Blood Brother or Sanguine Vambracers or Iron Heart (depending on what you use) for Invoker6 Crusaders (lots of options here) or Hack cubed if you are using pig sticker or phsysical damage sword
*A defensive weapon possibly for Uliana6 Monk (lots of options here too)
*Unity or CoE (whichever you dont use) for Hammerdins
*Girdle of Giants cubed (while possibly wearing Avalanche belt) for Leapquake Barbs.
*Basically huge amount of choices for Shield Bash Crusaders (also hoping they ACTUALLY fix Rolands and Shield Bash Flail)
*Insane amount of things for Wizards that im too lazy to type
*Insane amount of options for LoN fun builds plus defensive options (possibly) for Charge and WW Barbs
*All the immunity amulets for rest
I have always wanted a 4th slot for 2 set item bonuses, Like Bull-Kathos or F/R, or even the 2 set bonus from all sets as an equip-able power
being able to cube two weapons or a weapon and an offhand would create an incredible imbalance. It might be a lot of fun but you'd probably start seeing gr 150's pretty fast.
01/20/2017 12:27 AMPosted by ChaosLeech
being able to cube two weapons or a weapon and an offhand would create an incredible imbalance. It might be a lot of fun but you'd probably start seeing gr 150's pretty fast.

The most "damage wise" buff you can get if im not missing something, is 100% with depth diggers on generator builds. Unless there is some absurd combination i cant think at the moment, you can barely get a few grifts higher with this suggestion no?

And Grift 150 is mathematically impossible with the monster scaling, even if you get 5x damage multiplayer or something.
As much as I usually hate power creep, I think this is a very good idea.
Easy to implement, easy to test, and could open some new possibilities.

Yes please!
01/20/2017 01:10 AMPosted by Conlan
01/20/2017 12:27 AMPosted by ChaosLeech

The most "damage wise" buff you can get if im not missing something, is 100% with depth diggers on generator builds. Unless there is some absurd combination i cant think at the moment, you can barely get a few grifts higher with this suggestion no?
If you are only thinking straight damage buff you are missing a lot of potential insanity. But even then, you can run Furnace and Envious Blade on every build beside what you would normally do.

Being able to cube a weapon and and off hand while using another weapon and an off hand is pretty huge too. (or 2X two handed and an off hand, or 2X off hands and a two handed and many combinations there of) Especially for WD's and Wizards.

There are too many scenarios to list, but to think this wouldn't be totally game breaking is crazy. They would have to re balance everything and probably end up nerfing a lot of stuff.

I'd love to see it just to see how far it could go, but it would totally destroy the game and make certain classes far an above others by miles.

On the plus side WD's and Wizards would be gods.
01/20/2017 01:51 AMPosted by ChaosLeech
There are too many scenarios to list, but to think this wouldn't be totally game breaking is crazy.

The beauty of counter-examples is that you don't have to list them all to prove your point, just one is enough.
Could you please provide us with an example of some game-breaking combination that this modification would make possible?
01/20/2017 01:58 AMPosted by Thorgor
01/20/2017 01:51 AMPosted by ChaosLeech
There are too many scenarios to list, but to think this wouldn't be totally game breaking is crazy.

The beauty of counter-examples is that you don't have to list them all to prove your point, just one is enough.
Could you please provide us with an example of some game-breaking combination that this modification would make possible?
So the one I provided wasn't enough? I guess you want me to waste energy plotting out some obvious scenarios so you can pretend it wouldn't be very powerful, and we could go back and forth and waste time arguing this point? Like I said the real power isn't even in the direct damage. If you can't see how being able to run 2 off hand and two weapons (or 3 or 4 weapons) at the same time isn't game breaking then I'm not sure what to tell you.
01/20/2017 01:58 AMPosted by Thorgor
Something Wizard-ish
While I wouldn't be opposed to a fourth, "generic" slot, I feel that's kind of boring. More of the same.

Instead make the fourth slot a gem slot; either allowing you to add a leg gem or regular gems which are given some kind of special "cube" effect rather than simply doing what they do already in armor, helms, and weapons. You could even make that an incremental bonus that increases with more gems (for example: say 1 max level diamond in cube gives 1% increased effectiveness against cc-immune enemies and add +1% for every diamond you add in the cube to a max of 50). Again that's just an example I made up on the spot so the effect could be whatever.
01/20/2017 02:05 AMPosted by ChaosLeech
So the one I provided wasn't enough?

Adding Furnace or Envious Blade to any existing build that doesn't already use them won't let you do GR150. So, no.

I guess you want me to waste energy plotting out some obvious scenarios so you can pretend it wouldn't be very powerful, and we could go back and forth and waste time arguing this point? Like I said the real power isn't even in the direct damage. If you can't see how being able to run 2 off hand and two weapons (or 3 or 4 weapons) at the same time isn't game breaking then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Just give me a concrete example of a combination of 4 weapon/off-hand powers that would break the game and allow you to achieve GR150. It should be easy to you and not waste a lot of your precious time, since you claim such things are obvious.
Otherwise, you are just blowing hot air.
i think the other problem is that things are already becoming staples on most builds for each class. This would just further that idea. (same with leg gems) The cube was a fun idea, but if the items were properly balanced they never would have needed to implement it to begin with. It does allow for some creativity, but it also kind of forces standards because of how the end game is so focused on GR's and gear hunt isn't much a part of it anymore.
01/20/2017 02:21 AMPosted by Thorgor
So the one I provided wasn't enough?

Adding Furnace or Envious Blade to any existing build that doesn't already use them won't let you do GR150. So, no.

I guess you want me to waste energy plotting out some obvious scenarios so you can pretend it wouldn't be very powerful, and we could go back and forth and waste time arguing this point? Like I said the real power isn't even in the direct damage. If you can't see how being able to run 2 off hand and two weapons (or 3 or 4 weapons) at the same time isn't game breaking then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Just give me a concrete example of a combination of 4 weapon/off-hand powers that would break the game and allow you to achieve GR150. It should be easy to you and not waste a lot of your precious time, since you claim such things are obvious.
Otherwise, you are just blowing hot air.
Oh for the love of god, I mention gr 150 in passing now you are stuck on it. Figures. You are trying so hard to win an argument that you are missing the entire point of the discussion.
01/20/2017 02:24 AMPosted by ChaosLeech
Oh for the love of god, I mention gr 150 in passing now you are stuck on it. Figures. You are trying so hard to win an argument that you are missing the entire point of the discussion.

So, what exactly is your point then? That adding an extra legendary power to our arsenal will create power creep?
Ok, that is obvious and not even worth mentionning...

01/20/2017 02:23 AMPosted by ChaosLeech
i think the other problem is that things are already becoming staples on most builds for each class. This would just further that idea. (same with leg gems) The cube was a fun idea, but if the items were properly balanced they never would have needed to implement it to begin with. It does allow for some creativity, but it also kind of forces standards because of how the end game is so focused on GR's and gear hunt isn't much a part of it anymore.

This I can agree with.
However, the underlying problem that need fixing is that the items are not properly balanced. Since Blizzard proved over and over that they are not able/not willing to fix it, we may as wall have some fun.
My point is that things like Sacred harvester (which is already becoming OP) would be a standard cube item for every WD regardless of build, because it's now a free slot to abuse. 10 stacks of main sat bonus on top of whatever you are doing is a no brainier especially when it no longer interferes with what ever you are doing. Most builds have to choose between a few BIS items and you end up sacrificing a little something to make it work. Adding that slot would blow the doors off that restriction and break the game.