Can we get a close timer on cow level?

General Discussion
After collecting both experience pools, or after finishing cow event, or killing the cow queen so players don't have to keep remaking game after game in-between greater rifts. It would greatly improve quality of life in game.

We have it for the vault, there should be a way to work a close timer into this event.

p.s.
yes, i'm fully aware there is no cow level....
There is nothing really to start the timer off of. The only thing would be the Event but even that isnt at the 'end' of the level. Nothing they could start it from would guarantee that people wouldnt loose part of the level.

But what does need a close timer is the UBER Portals...
01/19/2017 07:15 AMPosted by Zendrak

^^Yup

01/19/2017 06:35 AMPosted by XxTaZzLoCCxX
We have it for the vault, there should be a way to work a close timer into this event.

I know a lot of folks do this run for the avarice conquest (50mil gold streak), this could make that much more difficult. Perhaps if there was an obelisk or something once touched could trigger the 30sec (or what ever) countdown.
I think there's an easy solution for this!

When you cube a new cow weapon, the current one will close in 30-60 seconds.
Here's how Blizz could do both.

Cow portal opens and the Cow King Ghost stands next to it. Anytime after the main killer cow boss is killed someone can talk to the Cow King Ghost and one of his talk options would be "close portal" to trigger the close timer, just like talking to Orek after a rift but with an extra failsafe of clicking on one more thing so you don't accidentally close when you wanted to go back in the portal or use the cube and misclicked.

Moo.

Same deal with Uber portals. After completing any portal, talk to the Hermit/Healer that stands next to the door and one of his "talk options" would be close portals. Again not an immediate close but a timer.

Moo. Moo.
Easy fix

Put new Cow Weapon in, instead of "transmute failed" we should get a standard "portal has been open" memo, and it should simply replace the realm.

On the side thought, I don't think that Blizz ever thought that this is how that feature (not the cow level) will ever be used. They made it for fun, to give something to casuals, and they have end game teams doing it just for efficiency. FFS I crafted 100+ cow sticks just in that purpose in S7 and S8.

I also smell nerf incoming, and we just might get those pools removed. Ya'll know, just because they can do it.
Easy fix
On the side thought, I don't think that Blizz ever thought that this is how that feature (not the cow level) will ever be used.

Yeah, right. Blizz had no way of telling how a COW LEVEL would be used in a diablo game. It wasn't like the most played run for around a DECADE of the Diablo 2 lifetime (not counting the time after the D3 release).

Sidenote: Why is this legitimate request being downvoted? Where is the downside in being able to open multiple cowlevels per game? Don't downvote constructive posts, thanks.
I think there's an easy solution for this!

When you cube a new cow weapon and no party member is in the the area, the current one will close in 30-60 seconds.

This ^ is the best solution; added a condition.
I dont like the solutions where you have to put a second bardiche into the cube and then trigger the closing of the cow portal. This is unintuitive and there should not be two different outcomes from the same action. i expect that a bardiche in the cube opens the cow portal. Nothing else.

Setting conditional checks (e.g. nobody inside the portal) will also not cover all cases and might not be transparent to all players.

Therefore i prefer an npc-triggered solution.

My npc solution is: make the cow-king-ghost appear after the cow event (similar to urshi in greater rifts). Players can then decide to interact with him to trigger the 60 seconds countdown.
There is nothing really to start the timer off of. The only thing would be the Event but even that isnt at the 'end' of the level. Nothing they could start it from would guarantee that people wouldnt loose part of the level.

Actually, If blizzard wanted to be reminiscent of the Cow King and original Cow Portal from D2...doing the event while the rest of the map is still unexplored would be exactly how it should work.

Nothing like having your run ended quickly because someone jumped the gun and killed the cow king.

Aside from that, I agree with the uber portals as well. There is 0 point to them sticking around after the bosses die.
After collecting both experience pools, or after finishing cow event, or killing the cow queen so players don't have to keep remaking game after game in-between greater rifts. It would greatly improve quality of life in game.

p.s.

The right would be after all chest, shrines, pools, and queen are dead the portal close in x seconds. Otherwise not. So to close you have to do these steps.

p.s.

I see where you're coming from here.

To give a bit of insight, the Vault is linear and has a clear ending when you kill Greed. Rifts also have a clear ending when you kill the Rift Guardian and talk to Orek. In both of these cases, it makes it much easier to determine at point at which everyone can reasonably agree to close and reopen the entry portal.

However, if there were a large, open area in the game which had murderous cows (an udderly ridiculous notion), then the "win" scenario is less clear. Is it when the main boss is dead? What about when all the enemies are dead? When all the treasure chests are opened?

Rather than divide players over whether to close the portal, it would make more sense in this particular case to let those who want to start a new one exit the game while others finish their cow-related errands, allowing the latter group to jump out before everyone re-enters.

P.S. - MoooOOOoo!

Totally fair feedback. I’m happy to pass this on, and I appreciate it. o/
Rather than divide players over whether to close the portal, it would make more sense in this particular case to let those who want to start a new one exit the game while others finish their cow-related errands, allowing the latter group to jump out before everyone re-enters.
There's zero player division when a second bardiche is placed in the cube and nobody is inside.

Use that to end the first level and create a new one.

It's like blues go out of their way to ignore any logic contained within a thread.
01/19/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Tyvalir

Yes please on the uber portals.
01/19/2017 04:50 PMPosted by Shivera
There's zero player division when a second bardiche is placed in the cube and nobody is inside.

Use that to end the first level and create a new one.

It's like blues go out of their way to ignore any logic contained within a thread.

This.

I love how Tyvalir keeps talking about "murderous cows" when the point of the thread is being able to open multiple cow levels without re-creating the game.

Cube new bardiche
All players in party confirm "Close current cow area so a new one can be opened"
New cow level opens

Easy. But no, we must get a diatribe about cow errands.

p.s.

To give a bit of insight, the Vault is linear and has a clear ending when you kill Greed. Rifts also have a clear ending when you kill the Rift Guardian and talk to Orek. In both of these cases, it makes it much easier to determine at point at which everyone can reasonably agree to close and reopen the entry portal.

However, if there were a large, open area in the game which had murderous cows (an udderly ridiculous notion), then the "win" scenario is less clear. Is it when the main boss is dead? What about when all the enemies are dead? When all the treasure chests are opened?

P.S. - MoooOOOoo!

I seriously think Ubers should have a count down timer though instead.

p.s.

P.S. - MoooOOOoo!

or you can add a simple sign post in the cow level that players can click to close the level. if you fear people will click the post by mistake. put a house inside the cow level. people go inside the house and speak to a ghost of wirt and he kicks them out for stealing his leg
01/19/2017 04:54 PMPosted by lightstorm
Easy.

Every thing is easy from an armchair and you actually don't have to do anything.

p.s.

P.S. - MoooOOOoo!

This sounds like an empty and contradicting thought.

You explain the differences between the vault and rifts, yet then go on to explain cow portals...which are exactly what a rift is; right down to the fact that players don't actually close a rift when a rift guardian is dead, and instead need to talk to an npc in town to do so. There is no clear ending to a Nephalem Rift, only Greater Rifts. Have you been absent from the years of players debating over whether its better to fully clear a rift or to close after a Rift Guardian?

Is the logic here being missed?

The solution, would be to simply provide an interactive npc / environment piece that allows players to choose to close the portal. That npc could easily be the cow queen, as a ghost, once defeated; or simply a glowing rock that spawns next to her ( like Urshi in GRs ) that provides something simple to close the cow portal.

I find your explanation extremely ironic, because players have been asking for years for a solution to closing Nephalem Rifts, or rather, prevention of players being able to just close a rift on their own whim without the consent of the rest of the group, and yet you seem to indicate this clear ending point of rifts that have never existed outside of Greater Rifts. And in that same breath, you claim that cow portals are indecisive because they don't end immediately because there is not clear ending.

Just like Nephalem Rifts.

And no, it does not make more sense to make players leave and join a new game if they want to experience more cow portals. They should be able to stay in their current group, in their current game, and continue on.

Just like Nephalem Rifts.

That being said, thank you for at least taking feedback, especially in regards to uber portals.

p.s.

P.S. - MoooOOOoo!

How about if a hypothetical ghost cow were standing on the Tristram side of the Portal that doesn't exist, to the place that is most definitely not full of murderous cows, so that when you are done, not exploring the fictitious area, one could simply tell the non existent ghost cow to close the portal. (like how Rifts work)