Penalties for dying

General Discussion
There should be some penalties for dying (but no, not the ridiculous grift timer).

In non-grift, maybe each time the player dies, there should be a chance for the character's inventory to be looted. Monsters will prioritize more valuable loots and all monsters that took items will be upgraded to bosses and be spread out across the map.

The player should get special quests to track down and kill the monsters to recover the stolen items. Of course the ubers will drop additional loots and give XP. After a certain number of days without action, the monsters will disappear and the items will be lost. I think this is more fun than items losing durability or a timer.

For grift, you wouldn't want to lose gears, I'd say deduct some xp, maybe 10% of the xp that would be received upon grift completion for each death. This is only for the player that dies, everyone is unaffected at all.
The only place you get the grift timer is in the grift, doesn't exist anywhere else. If you want a real penalty for dying, play hardcore
01/17/2017 06:41 PMPosted by Steve
If you want a real penalty for dying, play hardcore
This.
you situation is a lot of work from a coding perspective. if you want a penalty for dying play hardcore lol.
I've met some D2 players who didn't like the penalty they had there. Having to keep a separate set of gear in case you died.
Imo the penalty we currently have is enough, you lose your pool of reflection bonus and if in GR you lose the free upgrade chance.
01/17/2017 08:55 PMPosted by Merdrah
I've met some D2 players who didn't like the penalty they had there. Having to keep a separate set of gear in case you died.

Not liking the penalty is the whole point.

Without the risk of loss there is no thrill or high from winning.
01/17/2017 06:33 PMPosted by mofocheeto
There should be some penalties for dying (but no, not the ridiculous grift timer). Maybe each time the player dies, there should be a chance for the character's inventory to be looted. Monsters will prioritize more valuable loots and all monsters that took items will be upgraded to bosses and be spread out across the map.

The player should get special quests to track down and kill the monsters to recover the stolen items. Of course the ubers will drop additional loots and give XP. After a certain number of days without action, the monsters will disappear and the items will be lost. I think this is more fun than items losing durability or a timer.

you want a penalty when you die ? play hardcore
are you to soft for hardcore badluck thats no reason to try !@#$up our fun on softcore

%^-* idea
I still don't get why the GRift timer can't just subtract time from the timer instead of making you actually wait x !@#$ing seconds doing nothing in a game as fast-paced as D3.

"Play hardcore" seems like a canned solution, but seriously, you don't get scared of your character saying "I am badly hurt" on softcore the way you do on hardcore. The difference is stark.
I still don't get why the GRift timer can't just subtract time from the timer instead of making you actually wait x !@#$ing seconds doing nothing in a game as fast-paced as D3.

because thats imposible in a group
you dont have to be einstein to understand that
It would be nice if Blizz undid the reduction on repair costs. Repairs used to bankrupt people on inferno, it wouldn't even make a dent now.
Will most likely not happen, as this will upset alot of people. Diablo 3 has been casualized to the point of no return. The +1 upgrade is both a bless and additionnal casualizing at the same time.

How to fix?
-Reintroduce elite enrages
-Reintroduce invincible Minions
-Reintroduce actual repair costs
-Make Character lose all gear upon death (can be picked up again later).
-Make people lose 1% of their Paragon Levels.

For the rest, just play hardcore (and even there, you don't lose Gold, Equip in chest, Parsgon Levels, e.t.c.)
There should be some penalties for dying (but no, not the ridiculous grift timer).

If the timer is so annoying then it actually is a severe penalty. Wouldn't it make sense to use the same timer everywhere in the game then?
01/18/2017 03:08 AMPosted by Rynn
It would be nice if Blizz undid the reduction on repair costs. Repairs used to bankrupt people on inferno, it wouldn't even make a dent now.

So what would be the point? Unless they put it at a couple of billion to repair red gear it wouldn't matter, and then it only would matter on season, for a while.
01/18/2017 03:44 AMPosted by Jazz

If the timer is so annoying then it actually is a severe penalty. Wouldn't it make sense to use the same timer everywhere in the game then?

No because it's not fun. My idea would be a penalty but also introduce additional game play elements and additional quests upon dying.

Grifit timer is stupid, even in multi. They should just reduce xp for each death from that player. So if a player dies enough times, he will receive less xp from completely the grift.
01/18/2017 04:34 AMPosted by mofocheeto
Grifit timer is stupid, even in multi.

There has to be a timer for GRifts otherwise the leaderboards become a war of attrition up to levels of absurdity. People will spend hours upon hours clearing the next highest GRift just to rank higher than the previous guy/group.
01/18/2017 04:34 AMPosted by mofocheeto
Grifit timer is stupid, even in multi. They should just reduce xp for each death from that player. So if a player dies enough times, he will receive less xp from completely the grift.

How about, for every death, you lose a gem upgrade chance. So if you die five times, no gem upgrades you basically fail the rift.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No because it's not fun. My idea would be a penalty but also introduce additional game play elements and additional quests upon dying.

By that logic your suggestions would be even less fun.

You could also ask for a reintroduction of the previous grift death mechanic.
What's wrong with the death timer. Majoirty of the time you need to wait for a long cool down to finish so you can go back to doing what you Were doing.

Like wd waiting for garg cool down. As example.
The only penalty needed would be if the entire party dies in a GR or rift, the rift closes and you failed.

You need to be revived by another player and if none are still alive it's done.