Penalties for dying

General Discussion
01/18/2017 06:04 AMPosted by Shanso
The only penalty needed would be if the entire party dies in a GR or rift, the rift closes and you failed.

You need to be revived by another player and if none are still alive it's done.

Good suggestion but how about solo player? You are definitely don't want solo player creating another thread "IT'S DISGUSTING HOW GROUPS ARE MANDATORY..." in the general forum.
01/17/2017 06:33 PMPosted by mofocheeto
Maybe each time the player dies, there should be a chance for the character's inventory to be looted. Monsters will prioritize more valuable loots and all monsters that took items will be upgraded to bosses and be spread out across the map.

The player should get special quests to track down and kill the monsters to recover the stolen items. Of course the ubers will drop additional loots and give XP. After a certain number of days without action, the monsters will disappear and the items will be lost. I think this is more fun than items losing durability or a timer.

NO.

I seriously cant say NO enough to this one...
01/17/2017 09:00 PMPosted by Hackusations
01/17/2017 08:55 PMPosted by Merdrah
I've met some D2 players who didn't like the penalty they had there. Having to keep a separate set of gear in case you died.

Not liking the penalty is the whole point.

Without the risk of loss there is no thrill or high from winning.

LOL "thrill or high from winning" and "D3" is the oxymoron of the month.
Well, we now have another one. In GR, you lose 1 additional chance to upgrade. Prior to this patch, additional chance would easily cost multiple millions of gold.

Dying also means that you are losing time --- not just in the current GR, but also in the long run. You might need to do multiple more GRs to compensate all your deaths.
01/18/2017 03:50 AMPosted by Kargon
01/18/2017 03:08 AMPosted by Rynn
It would be nice if Blizz undid the reduction on repair costs. Repairs used to bankrupt people on inferno, it wouldn't even make a dent now.

So what would be the point? Unless they put it at a couple of billion to repair red gear it wouldn't matter, and then it only would matter on season, for a while.

Perspective. At release, it costed like 60k to repair level 60 gear from broke to good, and the usual gained of gold was about 70K from a complete run of inferno act 1. That made death way too devestating, and everyone kiiinda hated it. So they nerfed it down to 20K, and glass cannons still hated it, despite this being pretty ideal penalty (being about a 20 minute setback on gold per death). So they nerfed it again and repairing gear was now something like 5K. It was no longer a penalty. If they brought the scale back up; so about 2 million gold to repair broken gear of level 70, it would bring repair costs back to it's initial balance; where it was only punishing for players who died 9-20 times a day.

My comment was noting repair costs didn't increase at all from 60 to 70. With repair costs as they are now, honestly repairing is a boring busywork chore, and should either be removed entirely or revamped to actually be a meaningful penalty again.
There's a mode called hardcore try that out. Your idea is moronic.
01/18/2017 10:28 AMPosted by Rynn
It was no longer a penalty. If they brought the scale back up; so about 2 million gold to repair broken gear of level 70, it would bring repair costs back to it's initial balance; where it was only punishing for players who died 9-20 times a day.

40 million in a day is still nothing. That's the price of one empowered rift. Like I already said, unless it start to cost in the billions the number are irrelevant as it wont be an issue, ever.
This subject reminds me of the "reality" shows on TV. They're obviously not reality, but the stigma provides some sense of an "edge" on the show (and gives producers the excuse to not worry about acting talent).

there's already a minor penalty for dying in Grifts. you lose time (increases per death), and you lose a bonus Jewel roll when you die. personally, thats enough for me in SC. I played HC allot in D2, because it was a real penalty. this game watered even that down. But it's still a harsh penalty, so if you want that, go play HC.
01/18/2017 03:04 PMPosted by Arkannon
if you want that, go play HC.

I suspect that OP's motives really are that other players should be punished because they dare take chances and do higher grifts getting more paragons and higher gem levels etc.