Zdps meta?

Monk
Good afternoon all, i was curious to know what the zdps meta is? Or better yet what you think it will be?

I have seen different builds....some are 4pc Inna w/2 pc Ulianna and RoRG in cube. Others I have seen just 4pc Inna, with a Leroic's Crown, and a band of Rue Chambers in the cube.

Bracers, i see a mix of Spirit Guards, Strongarm's, and Nemesis.

I've also seen a flying dragon, or Avharion(sp) Spear....

I plan to duo with a WD this coming season if that means anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kid
The zDPS meta is pretty stable, they didn't make any change to bring a new support (/build) into the meta.

For the skill, mandatory are : Inner sanctuary (temple of protection and Safe heaven are the go to runes, for 2p you should use temple of protection) ; Crippling wave (tsunami) ; Mantra of salvation (agility, you can also run mantra of healing but do it only if asked) ; Cyclone strike (Implosion for pull, Soothing breeze for heal) ; Epiphany (soothing mist).

As of right now there are 2 main support monks :
- Inna + Uliana, which uses Exploding Palm for more damage but is very short on CDR, sometimes you don't get good zodiac proc and can have a hard time keeping Inner sanct down / epiphany up. The build uses 3p Inna & 2p Uliana with rorg cubed (or equiped).
- Inna pure, which uses leoric's crown for more CDR and is thus very easy to maintain 100% uptime on everything. If you play with a WD I'd advise not using gogok of swiftness and instead taking pain enhancer for better healing and very easy spirit management. Even with 15-20% crit chance you can have very good uptime on PE bleed. This build is way more oriented at giving the other players more toughness, while the EP above is for damage.

Both those builds use flying dragon as their weapon of choice. There is a last, less common build which is a variation of Inna + Uliana, that's focusing solely on buffing your teammates. It uses Lycandre spear thingy cubed instead of flying dragon, crippling wave - breaking wave, atk speed mantra and things like that. It's typically used for speed 90-100 with 1 DPS wizard and 3 supports.
As far as 4p meta setups, there's another variant which I found on high leaderboards and kind of liked. I'm using it on my NS zmonk at the moment:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/StoleOwnCar-1814/hero/55083823

Basically it's the U2 I4 setup as mentioned above except you just cube the damage reduction shoulders and don't run RoRG. You lose some damage reduction because of bracers but honestly in a 4p setup I'm not sure if it's even necessary. In fact during many of my 2p runs with my wizard the zmonk could afford to drop them entirely and that's without extra DR from both barb and WD. I managed to heal easily during 96 speeds with this setup, and that was while accidentally running implosion at the time... soooo... it works. Partially because you get to keep running Rue in cube. The really nice thing about this variant is that if you happen to find a hell of a lot of good U6 shoulders to use (like me), as they tend to be common, then you can have a really nice setup going pretty easily. There is a lot of RNG in the Lef shoulders. The DR roll, a CDR roll (ideally), and a glob roll.

TBH when I've run with a 3zdps party on my wiz, most of the time they stuck with FD in the cube and just changed a few runes around (got rid of iceblink because there's no reason for iceblink when the zwiz is proccing it and your CW rune isn't Tsunami anymore anyway). But yeah in a 3 zdps party the wiz tends to be very safe so the monk doesn't need to heal much. That's part of why 3zdps+wiz parties are popular for speed runs. It's a very safe setup, and up to a point wizard can very easily take on both rift clearing and RG killing duties.
12/27/2016 06:44 PMPosted by StoleOwnCar
As far as 4p meta setups, there's another variant which I found on high leaderboards and kind of liked. I'm using it on my NS zmonk at the moment:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/StoleOwnCar-1814/hero/55083823

Edit: Is there a minimum paragon level when you can get away with dropping Spirit Guards? I'm guessing using Esoteric with this setup is a good idea? Is still this a decent choice for generic 4 person meta using zmonk/barb, FBwd and dps wiz/genmonk?
To be frank, I don't know if there is a minimum paragon level. If there is, there's always a way around it. Although it kind of hurts in the time department, you can simply enchant your gear with vitality. I tried running the other build and it just didn't feel as smooth to me because I wasn't generating nearly as much spirit with each attack. Between always activating mantra and spamming cyclone strike, it just depleted very quickly and didn't regen very quickly.

If you run LTK monk you can easily get your gems to 60 in a very short amount of time by spamming gr 60's. 300 points of vitality per item is about 3600 vitality total across 12 items. That's about... 720 paragon points worth of vitality? So yeah. And it won't take you nearly as long as farming 720 paragon. If you're not sure what build to use, just augment only pieces that you wouldn't swap out between either setup.
12/30/2016 08:08 AMPosted by StoleOwnCar
To be frank, I don't know if there is a minimum paragon level. If there is, there's always a way around it. Although it kind of hurts in the time department, you can simply enchant your gear with vitality. I tried running the other build and it just didn't feel as smooth to me because I wasn't generating nearly as much spirit with each attack. Between always activating mantra and spamming cyclone strike, it just depleted very quickly and didn't regen very quickly.

If you run LTK monk you can easily get your gems to 60 in a very short amount of time by spamming gr 60's. 300 points of vitality per item is about 3600 vitality total across 12 items. That's about... 720 paragon points worth of vitality? So yeah. And it won't take you nearly as long as farming 720 paragon. If you're not sure what build to use, just augment only pieces that you wouldn't swap out between either setup.

Good points.
FWIW, I ran that build without Spirit Guards last night at GR90 and no Esoteric.
((http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/mvhrad-1345/hero/79586945))
Zero issues, though I realize 90 is quite low.

And yea, it's much nicer using Rue ring than RoRG.

I think i'll stick with it for now and see how high it'll go.
Does Avharion really work well? I tried it a couple of times, and I'm not sure I've ever seen it proc....

Have to give rue a shot.
12/29/2016 07:57 AMPosted by mvhrad
Edit: Is there a minimum paragon level when you can get away with dropping Spirit Guards? I'm guessing using Esoteric with this setup is a good idea? Is still this a decent choice for generic 4 person meta using zmonk/barb, FBwd and dps wiz/genmonk?

The support monk I was running 2s with (me on FB Archon) was under 1000 paragon and was running with no Spirit Guards (Strongarms + Nems). We did a 95 without him having too much trouble staying alive. He did use a Star of Az instead of Hellfire though (Resolve + Sieze + Beacon + NDE for equipped passives), and so that probably helped. I think he was using Gogok + Esoteric + Iceblink for gems.

There's a lot of little variations like that you can get away with. If you are dying, take a little more damage reduction. If you literally never die, then think about dropping some DR for something with some more utility. It's the kind of thing you should just play around with.
01/01/2017 12:03 PMPosted by TinneOnnMuin
12/29/2016 07:57 AMPosted by mvhrad

The support monk I was running 2s with (me on FB Archon) was under 1000 paragon and was running with no Spirit Guards (Strongarms + Nems). We did a 95 without him having too much trouble staying alive. He did use a Star of Az instead of Hellfire though (Resolve + Sieze + Beacon + NDE for equipped passives), and so that probably helped. I think he was using Gogok + Esoteric + Iceblink for gems.

There's a lot of little variations like that you can get away with. If you are dying, take a little more damage reduction. If you literally never die, then think about dropping some DR for something with some more utility. It's the kind of thing you should just play around with.

The monk I did 2p with in S6 used a similar setup, and so do most of the monks I run with my wizard now. If you want to run competitively with a wizard, the wizard has to pretty much go glass cannon, and the monk has to drop spirit guards. However, in seasons they might not have as much paragon to compensate. I noticed that one thing that killed the monk I was with the most easily was Fire Chains. Fire chains are extremely powerful... from what I remember, that actually did physical damage though? Anyway, Star of Az is still a relatively wise choice. Some damage reduction amulet in general is a wise choice.
01/01/2017 12:03 PMPosted by TinneOnnMuin
If you literally never die, then think about dropping some DR for something with some more utility.

Sound advice here.

If you never ever ever die, chances are good that you are doing something 'wrong' (non-optimal).

Of course, for a zdps monk, the consequence of death is complete disaster for team, so better strike a balance that greatly favors safety. Situation far different for a DPS character in 2+2, or with a teammate that can revive (death are more tolerable).

Zmonk can benefit especially from additional sheet IAS for more heals, spirit gen, and FD uptime.