Darkening of Tristam event

General Discussion
3rd time trying to play the Darkening of Tristam event. Last night I had to et to sleep so I figured i could continue where i left off. Today its snowing and i lost my internet twice. Made it to level 12 with a level 1 character . Now do I need to start with a new level 1 character again in order to get the Butcher Pet? That takes another slot in my character slots.

I understand why Diablo thought it would be a better experience to play in 1 setting but things happen (internet disconnects, moody wifes, game disconnects etc) and there should be a way to continue. I dont want to use the same character and will fill another empty character slot just to make sure I can earn the Butcher Pet.
OR am I alone and the only one who has gotten halfway through and something has happened?
I did Butchers pet with non season level 1 WD, took about an hour in normal, and yes I used my Paragon points. Seemed like the easiest way with pets, spiders, dogs, and Garg, haunt. May have gone faster in expert or master.

I'm holding off playing again until new season and go back after anything I missed.
01/06/2017 01:30 AMPosted by Keydric
I did Butchers pet with non season level 1 WD, took about an hour in normal, and yes I used my Paragon points. Seemed like the easiest way with pets, spiders, dogs, and Garg, haunt. May have gone faster in expert or master.

I'm holding off playing again until new season and go back after anything I missed.

How do you access the event with a lvl 1 character ? Figured I could just log on the game and figure it out but not enough info just in the game.

Do you just run adventure mode and go to the mark on the map ?
01/06/2017 06:31 AMPosted by Naras
01/06/2017 01:30 AMPosted by Keydric

How do you access the event with a lvl 1 character ? Figured I could just log on the game and figure it out but not enough info just in the game.

Yes, it's in adventure mode.

Go to old Tristram and there's a portal southwest of the WP that leads to it.

On the map there is a red pentagram next to the wp you need to go to.
01/06/2017 06:36 AMPosted by GodofMagic
01/06/2017 06:31 AMPosted by Naras

Yes, it's in adventure mode.

Go to old Tristram and there's a portal southwest of the WP that leads to it.

On the map there is a red pentagram next to the wp you need to go to.

K thanks. Started watching a video and the players were lvl 3 before they entered that portal (since they killed some stuff first) but someone in game said you have to be lvl 1 when you enter the portal or you didn't get the achievement.
Its adventure mode, Act 1, the WP just above tristrim. From my experience, Go to the left, DO NOT TOUCH OR KILL ANYTHING STARTING L1 out side of the event.
Any experience gained outside of the portal by the fountain will DQ you from the achievement. You can go back to town, and even end the game and leave, come back and complete when time permits. Just do not gain ANY exp outside that event.
01/06/2017 06:46 AMPosted by kwittstruck
Its adventure mode, Act 1, the WP just above tristrim. From my experience, Go to the left, DO NOT TOUCH OR KILL ANYTHING STARTING L1 out side of the event.
Any experience gained outside of the portal by the fountain will DQ you from the achievement. You can go back to town, and even end the game and leave, come back and complete when time permits. Just do not gain ANY exp outside that event.

I had a toon and teleported right to that area but there were mobs right around the portal and I ended up killing them and hitting lvl 2 (since I used a toon I had as a mule) so I guess that toon can't do it now :(

I don't know how you end the game and come back - I lost my game doing that. I agree with the OP this is way too long to do without a save setting and D2 as least will save your game when you stop playing - have we made 'progress' ?
01/06/2017 08:13 AMPosted by Naras
I don't know how you end the game and come back - I lost my game doing that.
There are no "save" points. You would have to start back at the first floor.
Keep in mind though, if you going to go for the achievement to kill all the elite minions, you will have to play through a few times anyway. Not all will spawn in a single game. That part does not require a L1 character to start. Just have to kill them all.
OMG again I start a fresh lvl 1 character and D3 disconnects me after leveling to a lvl6
it's not a problem if it disconnects you. That happened to me. Got to Floor 4 and was disconencted. Logged out at that point. I went back later in the evening with the character that got disconnected and started going through it again. Got the Butcher Pet upon completion. I think it only matters that it was a fresh level 1 toon that started the event is the important part and that they complete it at some point.

So from my experience, don't worry about disconnects, they're just a minor setback as you have to run those floors again. Not a big deal.

I started with a new toon, did exactly as you said. My problem is that I had to log while I was on level 6, ported back to town, quit the game, came back tonight, no portal !! So apparently I am unable to start up where I left off last night, but have to start the whole dungeon over again from scratch. That does not line up with what you said above, and it surely sucks for me. Even for the person who said he did it in an hour (my my, how easy to make crazy claims on the internet), you could still get DC'd, have a power failure or suffer wife aggro.

What am I missing here ?
Get a Gem of Ease, level it to 25, stick on any Lv70 Ancient Weapon, then steam mow through the dungeon. You'll finish in under an hour. If you can't play the game for an hour without getting DC'd, you should quit life.

On another note, whoever thought of this Dark Tristram event at Blizzard HQ should be hanged. It's pure torture, it's stupid, it's ugly, and it's not even a
"remake of Diablo 1" like they were promising.

It's just Diablo 3 with an ugly filter and gimped movement. Everything is Diablo 3, from the assets to the graphics to the enemies. I mean, really Blizzard.
01/07/2017 03:24 AMPosted by Mochan
Get a Gem of Ease, level it to 25, stick on any Lv70 Ancient Weapon, then steam mow through the dungeon. You'll finish in under an hour. If you can't play the game for an hour without getting DC'd, you should quit life.

On another note, whoever thought of this Dark Tristram event at Blizzard HQ should be hanged. It's pure torture, it's stupid, it's ugly, and it's not even a
"remake of Diablo 1" like they were promising.

It's just Diablo 3 with an ugly filter and gimped movement. Everything is Diablo 3, from the assets to the graphics to the enemies. I mean, really Blizzard.

To get the achievement and pet you need to play the dungeon and kill diablo with a level 1 character. So no sticking a gem of ease on a level 70 weapon because your toon wouldnt be able to use it.

I have to say I did complete the dungeon with my 3rd toon and it is a lot more fun playing with a level 1 character than when I used my level 70 character. IT ws pretty boring using a level 70 toon, but with a level 1 it made it more challenging.
01/07/2017 02:13 AMPosted by JaggedOne

I started with a new toon, did exactly as you said. My problem is that I had to log while I was on level 6, ported back to town, quit the game, came back tonight, no portal !! So apparently I am unable to start up where I left off last night, but have to start the whole dungeon over again from scratch. That does not line up with what you said above, and it surely sucks for me. Even for the person who said he did it in an hour (my my, how easy to make crazy claims on the internet), you could still get DC'd, have a power failure or suffer wife aggro.

What am I missing here ?

Your not missing anything. If you leave or DC you have to start all over. No saves, no continuing from last logon. I dont think it is playable in an hour. You have to spend the time killing the skeletons etc on each level in order to lvl your toon enough to kill the skeleton king and than diablo. Sure you can run though the dungeon in less than an hour but thats with no combat and your character is not going to be leveled enough to kill the Diablo on lvl 16
My case. I created a new hardcore seasonal toon and did all the act 1 bounties before deciding to do the event. I was midway when I decided to look up the number of levels and the rest and thought I wasn't going to get the achievement because I started in level 13, but I got it anyway. The way I understand, you have to start the game with a fresh toon, nothing more.
How many levels of the labyrinth are there?