What does "Level One Character mean?

General Discussion
From what I read, you need a new level 1 character to play The Darkening of Tristram event.

What does "Level One Character" mean? Does that mean Normal Difficulty or does it mean something else?

Sometimes when the answer seems too obvious, I doubt it. Does it just mean a new character? All new characters are level one.

Was the requirement written poorly to confuse my flu-infested brain?
You don't need a level 1 character to play it. It is recommended, but not required. They're adding the first bit of content in a while, so they recommend a new character so you don't blast through it in 20 minutes.

Edit: Also, there's an achievement that does require you to run through it as a new level 1 character, but if that is not something you're interested, then blast through it on an all-ancient level 70 in 15-20 minutes.
01/03/2017 08:41 AMPosted by DrSeRRoD
You don't need a level 1 character to play it. It is recommended, but not required.

Actually, you do need a level 1 character if you want the bonus prize.
You wont get the Butcher pet if you dont start it from a lvl 1 character and I believe it has to be completed in one sitting.
01/03/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Erekan
You wont get the Butcher pet if you dont start it from a lvl 1 character and I believe it has to be completed in one sitting.

If you do it in Non seasons you can use all your Paragon / Cube items / Lvl 70 items + Gem of Ease.... makes it take all of 15 min to finish it.

Correct, level one and in one sitting.

Hint: If you have a Gem of Ease up to level 25 or higher, throw it in a socketed level 70 weapon and it is very easy, I did it in about 2.5 hours and that was checking every nook and crany, killing every monster.
01/03/2017 10:21 AMPosted by Zendrak

If you do it in Non seasons you can use all your Paragon / Cube items / Lvl 70 items + Gem of Ease.... makes it take all of 15 min to finish it.

Humm, never even thought to use Cubed items too though I did max out my paragon points.
Your hero MUST be level one when you enter the portal to the new area in order to get the new pet.

Takes a lot longer than 15 minutes just to speed run the area. It's 16 levels.

It took me an hour because I took the time to level up to 70 before the final fight. I used a Witch Doctor and level reduced Carnevil LoN gear.

Here is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/_VzN5JuCN7A
01/03/2017 10:21 AMPosted by Zendrak

This is what I did. Have my full lvl "1" gear ready for the event.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Thphlstr-1596/hero/3753864

For whatever reason, the site displays it as lvl 70, but all 13 pieces are lvl 1.
01/03/2017 10:39 AMPosted by Thphlstr
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This is what I did. Have my full lvl "1" gear ready for the event.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Thphlstr-1596/hero/3753864

For whatever reason, the site displays it as lvl 70, but all 13 pieces are lvl 1.

I'm curious, how is this possible. I thought the gem of ease can only be put in a weapon? or, you had 13 gems of ease's and up to level 40 and 50 and swapped the augments on everything?

Edit: But no, Augments only give stats you use from the gems.
Really curious now
Also I'd like to add that you do NOT have to stay in the new area the entire time. You are allowed to return to town to repair or sell and you will still get the pet.
Dude you can use a level 25 Gem of Ease in the cube to make any armor piece level 1. If I remember correctly this will not work on Jewelry tho.
01/03/2017 10:47 AMPosted by Hamiltonz
Also I'd like to add that you do NOT have to stay in the new area the entire time. You are allowed to return to town to repair or sell and you will still get the pet.
Thanks for the info, I was going to stay in the zone all the time nad I was worried about repairs, so glad you tell me :)
01/03/2017 10:50 AMPosted by DustInDaWind
Dude you can use a level 25 Gem of Ease in the cube to make any armor piece level 1. If I remember correctly this will not work on Jewelry tho.

Humm, must test this when I get some more level 25 gems of ease.

Thank you
01/03/2017 10:44 AMPosted by Luciffer
I'm curious, how is this possible. I thought the gem of ease can only be put in a weapon? or, you had 13 gems of ease's and up to level 40 and 50 and swapped the augments on everything?

Really curious now

You might want to check the cube recipe "Work of Cathan". https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube
01/03/2017 10:51 AMPosted by Luciffer
01/03/2017 10:50 AMPosted by DustInDaWind

Humm, must test this when I get some more level 25 gems of ease.

Thank you

Does work on jewelry. Did the LoN rings last night!
you had 13 gems of ease's and up to level 40 and 50 and swapped the augments on everything?

just need 13 level 25 gem of ease, can also use on level 70 leorics ring, plus use hellfire ring and leorics crown in cube with ruby and you hit 70 before level 16 in dungeon.

edit: also, don't accidentally kill anything before entering portal, it may level you and you will not be considered a fresh level 1, watch for thorns on level 70 gear, it will kill on t6.
01/03/2017 10:52 AMPosted by SamZone

Really curious now

You might want to check the cube recipe "Work of Cathan". https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

Thank you sir, I read it on the Gem itself in game and never looked there. Haha
That's alot of gems you guys must have. No wonder you need the stash space. LOL
01/03/2017 10:54 AMPosted by Roq
you had 13 gems of ease's and up to level 40 and 50 and swapped the augments on everything?

just need 13 level 25 gem of ease, can also use on level 70 leorics ring, plus use hellfire ring and leorics crown in cube with ruby and you hit 70 before level 16 in dungeon.

edit: also, don't accidentally kill anything before entering portal, it may level you and you will not be considered a fresh level 1, watch for thorns on level 70 gear, it will kill on t6.

Thank you, now that I know that, a lot more rifts and GR's are needed. :p
If I remember correctly, I think I hit Level 45 by the end