Darkening of Tristram

Hardcore
I just played Darkening of Tristram with a hardcore level 1 crusader on expert. No twinking and using Ironman rules. It was really fun and felt nigh impossible. Everything moves slowly but OK until the Butcher. Then I felt the terror I felt 20 years ago when I realized I had no chance to beat him. I had found 4 pieces of gear by that point. I was level 9 with 8 dps. Run like mad as always...now with less potion spamming! His attack hit me for 3/4 of my life. Couldn't blind him. Eventually he hit me twice and game over. Fun as hell. The nostalgia was strong.
playing a new WD on expert mode. i accidentally killed the Butcher before i had the opportunity to appreciate him. But i was cheating a little -- i got my guy a HellRing and Amulet. so far i like it but was confused whent he game told me I couldn't "open this yet" when attempting to searach bodies in the Old Ruins -- what does that mean?
The bodies are part of an event you can't complete until you find something in the dungeon :)
01/04/2017 07:36 PMPosted by birdcaje
game told me I couldn't "open this yet" when attempting to searach bodies in the Old Ruins -- what does that mean?

Major spoiler alert
On level 9 of the labrynth there are mushrooms (location random). Take a mushroom to the cauldron near the dead, clickable cows (don't click the cows yet). Take the witches brew to Tristram and go to the southern most corpse (the one that says you need a strong drink to wake this spirit when you click it). Take what he drops to the barkeep's corpse, then to the healers corpse, then to Griswold's corpse, he did now drop the wirt's leg plans.
Teach the plans to the blacksmith
Craft a wirts leg, get achievement and transmorg.
Salvage the leg, get map
Go back to the clickable cows next to cauldron. Click middle, left, and right cow. Go into abandoned farmstead entrance.
Only thing of interest here is a resplendant chest that drops the Royal Calf pet (small cow).

Also you have to socket the red gem in a helm and equip it to get the transmorg.

That should give you all but 2 achievements. The angel portrait you get from farming cultist pages from regular act 1 areas (not in event areas - Google it). The demon portrait you need to kill enough purples in the event dungeon.
I thought that Tristram was easy, I blew through it all on T11 with no problem.

But I felt something that I haven't felt in a long time, the steady *thump thump* of my heart as I made my way through a dungeon, it felt like the original Diablo.

It hit me in the feels so hard, I think that Blizzard should bring this style of gaming back.

01/04/2017 05:53 PMPosted by Fantomex
I just played Darkening of Tristram with a hardcore level 1 crusader on expert. No twinking and using Ironman rules. It was really fun and felt nigh impossible. Everything moves slowly but OK until the Butcher. Then I felt the terror I felt 20 years ago when I realized I had no chance to beat him. I had found 4 pieces of gear by that point. I was level 9 with 8 dps. Run like mad as always...now with less potion spamming! His attack hit me for 3/4 of my life. Couldn't blind him. Eventually he hit me twice and game over. Fun as hell. The nostalgia was strong.
I ran through with level 1 wizard without gears and paragon on expert too, it's easier with range dps and wizard has few defend and offensive skill early on, It's 45 minutes fun I don't see often.
I went through it - seems ok- love the old D2 fx. does the "level 1 challenge" work if you aren't still level one killing the dark lord? I had my gem of ease in a Furnace and leveled to 32 after the first dungeon level
01/05/2017 03:43 PMPosted by marmoset
does the "level 1 challenge" work if you aren't still level one killing the dark lord?

I know it's a bit late, but the event will come back next year (supposedly annual now) so I thought I would answer... from my personal experience, you have to be level 1 when you enter the old-style D1 portal. I killed every creature I could, and still got the challenge. I even did the town-portal thing to drop off/sell/scrap stuff and still got it. You do not need to somehow get to the final boss and still be level 1, you just have to start a new character before beginning the event.
Butcher killed my HC wiz I was trying to run through starting at master.
01/05/2017 03:52 AMPosted by EmmetOtter
01/04/2017 07:36 PMPosted by birdcaje
game told me I couldn't "open this yet" when attempting to searach bodies in the Old Ruins -- what does that mean?

Major spoiler alert
On level 9 of the labrynth there are mushrooms (location random). Take a mushroom to the cauldron near the dead, clickable cows (don't click the cows yet). Take the witches brew to Tristram and go to the southern most corpse (the one that says you need a strong drink to wake this spirit when you click it). Take what he drops to the barkeep's corpse, then to the healers corpse, then to Griswold's corpse, he did now drop the wirt's leg plans.
Teach the plans to the blacksmith
Craft a wirts leg, get achievement and transmorg.
Salvage the leg, get map
Go back to the clickable cows next to cauldron. Click middle, left, and right cow. Go into abandoned farmstead entrance.
Only thing of interest here is a resplendant chest that drops the Royal Calf pet (small cow).

Also you have to socket the red gem in a helm and equip it to get the transmorg.

That should give you all but 2 achievements. The angel portrait you get from farming cultist pages from regular act 1 areas (not in event areas - Google it). The demon portrait you need to kill enough purples in the event dungeon.
When I salvaged Wirt's Leg, I didn't get the map??