man sets are so lame....

General Discussion
why should we be force to play a curtain build or play style ? i mean it doesn't make sense. I dont want to play your build developers I want to play how I want to play in an action RPG. sets should be an optional thing not the thing I have to use. not to mention most of the sets are boring and only empower curtain skills its stupid. sets wouldn't be a bad thing if they wear optional and not mandatory gear to wear.
you can use any gear, and make any build you want, you wont be number 1 on the leaderboards, but nothing but yourself is stopping you from making the build that you want to play!
Any build is viable in Torment I

Ben Brode
02/05/2017 02:36 PMPosted by creep
why should we be force to play a curtain build or play style ? i mean it doesn't make sense. I dont want to play your build developers I want to play how I want to play in an action RPG. sets should be an optional thing not the thing I have to use. not to mention most of the sets are boring and only empower curtain skills its stupid. sets wouldn't be a bad thing if they wear optional and not mandatory gear to wear.

The final curtain, I'm certain...

You have 1261 posts as of that right there. 90% of those are just rehashing this topic over and over. Stop. You have been posting the same garbage for months. Honestly your account should be banned from the forums for spam. In fact, I'll go ahead and report this right now. Please leave this game and go play Angry Birds or something. Get your teen angst out somewhere else.
I think this thread can be construed as spamming since OP has started at least 25 others just like it.

We get it Creep...you don't like sets.....
a curtain build

curtain skills

I'm not an interior decorator so I'm certain I wouldn't know...
OP may be at fault for spamming this kind of thread, but I do think they have a point. Sets are a good idea in theory, but in practice they do limit builds somewhat by forcing players to dedicate several item slots towards a single set just to get its bonuses. If sets were split into individual legendaries with their own powers, all of which ended up providing the same total bonuses in the end, then it would be possible to mix and match those effects with much more overall freedom, even if those items would still share a theme and look.
02/05/2017 03:08 PMPosted by CheezusCrust
you can use any gear, and make any build you want, you wont be number 1 on the leaderboards, but nothing but yourself is stopping you from making the build that you want to play!

This is the cop out of all cop outs. A build is named as such because of synergy leading to efficiency. You cannot slap any combination together and claim it is a build simply because you filled all the slots with something; that's a hodgepodge.

The truth is that sets make the endgame exceedingly myopic, a fact that's only compounded when you consider the power gap between the sets themselves. The idea of emergent gameplay does not exist in D3 because what's allowed to be effective has been made hyper specific by the sets.
02/05/2017 07:40 PMPosted by Tohki

This is the cop out of all cop outs. A build is named as such because of synergy leading to efficiency. You cannot slap any combination together and claim it is a build simply because you filled all the slots with something; that's a hodgepodge.

The truth is that sets make the endgame exceedingly myopic, a fact that's only compounded when you consider the power gap between the sets themselves. The idea of emergent gameplay does not exist in D3 because what's allowed to be effective has been made hyper specific by the sets.

This can't be stressed enough.

You are certainly free to use whatever skill set up you want, and wear the gear you want. Do not however "expect" to compete with the leader boards or expect to complete T13 runs or whatever as effectively.

It comes down to this, do you care about pushing GRs? Clearing the highest content? Wear sets. You can only use 6 skills at a time anyways and more than likely you're already using 3-4 of the best skills X set is buffing or using anyways.

Do you just want to kill stuff? Run whatever.

Without sets there would only be one build: LoN (except now with somewhat different rings)

I don't want to be shoehorned into playing an LTK monk and nothing else. Sets let me do other fun. things like Inna gen, or R6gen, or Bellwuko, or U6 EP, or whatever.
This is the cop out of all cop outs

The cop out is, you are in control of your character and can put on anything you like, no one but you is stopping you from putting on whatever you like.

Now if you were to say you have no choice but to wear a particular set and items to get near number 1 spot on the leaderboards then I would agree with you, but OP isn't saying that and until OP adds the leaderboard part your claim is outright false
02/06/2017 01:59 AMPosted by nand
Without sets there would only be one build: LoN (except now with somewhat different rings)

I don't want to be shoehorned into playing an LTK monk and nothing else. Sets let me do other fun. things like Inna gen, or R6gen, or Bellwuko, or U6 EP, or whatever.

The sets problem goes hand in hand with the core problem of all builds in D3: there are no skill trees. There is no way for a player to actually choose which skills to make more effective than the other skills available. Any hope of diversity went out the window with that initial decision.

02/06/2017 02:32 AMPosted by Steve
The cop out is, you are in control of your character and can put on anything you like, no one but you is stopping you from putting on whatever you like.

Now if you were to say you have no choice but to wear a particular set and items to get near number 1 spot on the leaderboards then I would agree with you, but OP isn't saying that and until OP adds the leaderboard part your claim is outright false

No one is stopping you outside progression into the endgame. That's your argument. It's completely ludicrous. It's utmost nitpicking, reaching, disingenuous argument for "you can use any build you'd like to use". Pull your head out of your !@#.
What about women sets? Ha ha.
02/06/2017 05:43 AMPosted by Tohki
No one is stopping you outside progression into the endgame. That's your argument. It's completely ludicrous. It's utmost nitpicking, reaching, disingenuous argument for "you can use any build you'd like to use". Pull your head out of your !@#.

Have a look at my characters and tell me I can't wear whatever I like
02/06/2017 06:37 AMPosted by Steve

All your characters who are wearing the blizzard approved solo GR builds? Are you arguing for my point or your point?
02/06/2017 06:42 AMPosted by Tohki
02/06/2017 06:37 AMPosted by Steve

All your characters who are wearing the blizzard approved solo GR builds? Are you arguing for my point or your point?

Alright try to comprehend this
We have no choice in what we wear according to you
Why then aren't all are characters decked out identically
Your crusader or wizard isn't the same as mine
Therefore we can wear whatever we like
Are you trying to argue that you are forced to use equipment that gives you the best bonuses for the skills you are using?
you can use any gear, and make any build you want, you wont be number 1 on the leaderboards

of course you can play every build on normal...