Making the game better by improving Rifts

General Discussion
  • Allow us to fill the progression bar multiple times to spawn multiple Rift Guardians (Regular Rift only).
  • ->XP/Gold reward is given instantly when you kill a RG. No need to close the rift even if you have to leave the game.
    ->Upon killing the RG, it instantly check if you completed any seasonal journey requirement (completing a Rift under X minutes, etc)
    ->The Obelisk is replaced by a Portal, which leads you to a new Rift. Your progression is saved and the previous Rift will close in 1 minute.
    ->You still have the ability to close the Rift in-town, but that is only available if the majority is in town.

While you are still doing Rifts as usual, this change should make satisfy many more players. Players who wish to farm Keystone are still able to do it without any real change (if anything, it's much quicker since you don't have to wait for the timer). Players who wish to "clear" the Rift will be able to do it without having the Rift being closed on them.

It also gives us the impression of a true endless dungeon. It has no real end and you don't need to wait every time you kill the RG to start a new one. You can just keep on killing until you're tired of it (or full of items to salvage).

• Introduce additional randomization to Rifts
  • ->Cow Rift is nice. Goblin packs are neat. We should have more of those! We could have a treasure lair (lots of resplendent chests or demonic chests), a random encounter with a Boss (Ghom, Adria, etc), a portal that leads you to Malthael/Belial/Diablo (etc), an unexpected horde of elites (like 5-6 of them), a duo of Rift Guardian... anything goes.

Rifts are now endless. Going through those endless floors will provide a unique experience. You fill the progression bar, kill a RG and keep on killing until the next one spawns. Eventually, you will reach the final floor --- at that point, you simply enter that new portal and are instantly transported to a new Rift with your current progression intact. Along your adventure, you will be encountering lots of unexpected things. It could be multiple Rift Guardians at once, suddenly facing Belial when you thought you were going to the next level (killing the boss will open a portal to the next level), major random events, cursed events, goblin packs, treasure vault, and much more.
    02/09/2017 08:45 PMPosted by DoomBringer
    Allow us to fill the progression bar multiple times to spawn multiple Rift Guardians (Regular Rift only).

I have always thought this would be great. Rifts can be up to 10 floors correct? So... make all of them 10 floors, and multiple RG's can be spawned. On the 10th floor, at the ending pylon that takes you back to town, have a RG there as well, maybe with an elite and a champion pack flanking the RG. Also, rather than just porting back to town at the pylon, have some resplendent chests there. Maybe like 3 to 5 of them? Or keep the rifts at a random amount of floors and do a resplendent chest per floor or every other floor. Or a resplendent or two, and 5 to 10 regular chests? We should get a "loot explosion" for completing a rift fully.

Another idea is something like 10% magic find per floor you go down (or up). This actually ties in with another idea I have had. A topless tower/endless dungeon, that increases difficulty each floor you go up/down. And also increases MF/GF per level. You always enter it at same difficulty, i.e. torment 1. And it slowly increases each floor you go. At the end of each floor, you can choose to open loot (resplendent) chests (1 per floor, or every other floor), and get XP/gold bonus, OR keep going. This is for HC players who don't want to die or people who have reached their limit. No time limit, players can only die maybe 3 times per floor, or 3 times total or something.

I like your ideas as well.
    02/09/2017 08:45 PMPosted by DoomBringer
    ->The Obelisk is replaced by a Portal, which leads you to a new Rift. Your progression is saved and the previous Rift will close in 1 minute.

White/blue/yellow items automatically salvage if you use this portal as well . Please make it so haha.
    This is a terrible idea. Closing rifts has a purpose. Salvage, repairs, bio breaks etc.

It's good to have a brief but definitive pause in the action. It synchronizes players and punctuates the action.

In this system, you would be constantly having to leave players behind or wait for them to dink around in town. That also means you'll be spending a lot of time running through empty dungeons to get a leg that dropped when you had to go to town in the middle of a rift.

"Endless" doesn't add *anything* and has serious drawbacks.
    Call them "progressive rifts". The difficulty starts out in whichever mode you create the rift. Then every time you fill the bar and kill the RG, it bumps up the next difficulty level. You enter into a regular rift at t13, and maybe make it the equivalent of GR95 before you're forced to stop from an inability to kill the RG.

Whole groups could go in at t13 and farm the life out of rift up to GR105, collecting fat loot multipliers and hordes of GR keys for all that wonderful GR fishing.
    02/10/2017 12:03 PMPosted by Mercury
    Closing rifts has a purpose. Salvage, repairs

A wandering merchant who can identify items, salvage and repair would fix your issue. As for "bio break", nothing stops you from just going after killing a RG.

It's good to have a brief but definitive pause in the action. It synchronizes players and punctuates the action.

You really don't need to hold people's hand. Is there a "rule" that tells people to stop and return to town when killing a Gela goblin? People understand that it's time for a mini break and they will do it on their own. I don't even need to take a break after killing this goblin since I only pick up legendary items and Death breath. Since I'm waiting after other people, I "might as well" just pick those useless blue and yellow to salvage them in-town.

The same would somewhat apply to an endless Rift. Upon reaching the final floor, it is a natural stop. You quickly identify, salvage and hit repair (not that you really need to do that often). It's not really that different from what we have right now. If you take too long to do your stuff, other people might already have begun doing a new rift... If your "bio break" took too long, do you really think people will patiently wait for you in-town? Unless it's GR, they are already starting another one.

In this system, you would be constantly having to leave players behind or wait for them to dink around in town. That also means you'll be spending a lot of time running through empty dungeons to get a leg that dropped when you had to go to town in the middle of a rift.

Loot aren't generally global drops (aka dropping while you are in-town) unless it's from chests. Running back to pick them usually mean that you took forever to come back. Should others be waiting for you?

02/10/2017 11:25 AMPosted by MakDog
    White/blue/yellow items automatically salvage if you use this portal as well . Please make it so haha.

A merchant at the end would take care of this. Also, when starting anew, you don't necessarily want to salvage everything. Sometimes, you need to "cube" yellows too.

02/10/2017 12:09 PMPosted by Tohki
    Call them "progressive rifts". The difficulty starts out in whichever mode you create the rift. Then every time you fill the bar and kill the RG, it bumps up the next difficulty level. You enter into a regular rift at t13, and maybe make it the equivalent of GR95 before you're forced to stop from an inability to kill the RG.

Whole groups could go in at t13 and farm the life out of rift up to GR105, collecting fat loot multipliers and hordes of GR keys for all that wonderful GR fishing.

I like the idea, but at the same time, my goal isn't really to turn this into another GR-like dungeon. I want as many builds as possible to be viable in this. GR already locks out lots of builds, I don't want Rifts to become like that.

I wouldn't mind an increased chance of getting a Cow Rift, Goblin packs or whatever (and it resets once you get it) though.
    Progressive rifts are an even worse idea. Generally you would find that there are about 10-30 levels of completely trivial difficulty, 2-5 levels of moderate difficulty, and maybe one or two levels of max difficulty before it becomes pointlessly difficult.

Go ahead and try a GR a few levels above your best 14:59 clear. Ignore the timer and tell me how much fun you are having at 20 or 30 minutes.

Pub games would be a constant cycle of people leaving as the difficulty exceeds their abilities. Lots of other negative QoL issues too. What is it being added that you can't already accomplish much more efficiently by just selecting an appropriate GR level? A few extra GR keys?
    It's not really that different from what we have right now.

Exactly my point. Almost the exact same experience, but with significant drawbacks that are already solved by existing mechanisms.
    To make rifts better they just need to redo the difficulty settings. Just make the whole game like Grifts where it just keeps going as high as you can handle. Get rid of these static cap Torment levels that you just keep having to change. All rewards such as keys and bounty mats would just scale according to the difficulty.
    A merchant at the end would take care of this. Also, when starting anew, you don't necessarily want to salvage everything. Sometimes, you need to "cube" yellows too.

I like the merchant at end idea better. But as for yellows for cube, I just get them from Kadala. Every once in awhile I will save weapons or jewelry since it cost me. That said, the wandering merchant is best.
    I'd just like to see these challenge rifts.

I was on rift runs one day and each floor seemed to gave bigger and more dense demons.. It went from the 1st floor being leapers, skeletons and peons.. 2nd were lurkers and snakes. 3rd was hammer mashers and it seemed all the packs had avenger.

If they could make rifts more difficult with each floor, I'd be down. Just nothing endless.. Endless grinds until you simply have to QQ out of difficulty just isn't appealing.

I doubt they could change the difficulty per level. But it would be nice to see a different form of rift that you'll walk into the 4th floor of and stacks of packs just spawn on top; juggers, avengers, reflect, etc. Nothing too difficult damage or health scaling wise. Just harsher affixes you have to dodge or fight through

I miss the days where one could click on a portal and death was imminent if you didn't move.

I'd love to see level doors spawn in random locations on the other end. Right in the middle of a map/ambush of death. The doors are all too streamline as it is. There's no surprise or jump factor.
    This is a terrible idea. Closing rifts has a purpose. Salvage, repairs, bio breaks etc.

Don't really need to Salvage that much if you only pick up Gems, DB and legendary. Rare/white/magic items are for mats only. You can plenty of those from Kadala and bounties run. Unlimited spawn seem tiresome though. Maybe up to 5 or so RG spawn. Also, fix people scattering in normal rift. You need some type of unity goal to get people to stick together. The current rift objective suck at doing that.
    02/10/2017 11:54 PMPosted by Neogeo
    Don't really need to Salvage that much if you only pick up Gems, DB and legendary. Rare/white/magic items are for mats only. You can plenty of those from Kadala and bounties run. Unlimited spawn seem tiresome though. Maybe up to 5 or so RG spawn. Also, fix people scattering in normal rift. You need some type of unity goal to get people to stick together. The current rift objective suck at doing that.

When the game is too "easy", people will naturally split up because you just don't need to have other people help you. When you start with a new character/newly leveled to 70, people will stick together.

Blizzard has been focusing a lot of legendary powers that increase our power. Perhaps they should start adding "fun" legendary that encourage people to stick together. More Nemesis and Legacy Puzzle Ring come to mind.

Nemesis could be changed to something like "spawn 1 elite pack for each Hero or Follower within 30 yards of the Shrine or Pylon" (Nemesis doesn't stack with other Nemesis). While soloing, you should, in theory, get 2 Elites. Using Ashera may yield (or may not...) 4 elites while soloing.