Action Against Bots

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
I understand a lot of players do not care about bots and blizzard remains silent on such issues, but I hope they still read and understand the severity and how much of an epidemic botting has become over the past 4-5 seasons. I feel it is their responsibility to police this game and not allow blatant violations of their ToS, at least to the best of their ability.

This is a plea to blizzard to please do something, anything, about botters in this game. Please hear me out.

A lot of people will say "how does it effect you if others bot?" Well, short answer, and for casuals, it doesn't. However, the only true "end game" for most players beyond casuals is to push to see how high we can get on LB. Sure, its possible to still compete with these botters, and few are able to still get in game front page clears who are completely legit, it is just frustrating when the only difference between ranking higher than what we worked for are all the botters with inflated paragon.

Others will argue that botting doesn't get you high paragon. That is completely false. Botting not only provides players with an unlimited number of keys/mats so they do not have to spend hrs on end collecting them, but when you have a geared char able to solo GR 72-78 within 2-4min that is an INSANE amount of exp if you do this overnight or while you are at work 5-7 days a week. Then they are able to do GRs with a group whenever they actually are online to gain even more exp. But imagine waking up each morning or coming back from work and being 30-50 levels higher every single day from doing nothing. That is how players are already 2600+ on season. And these players probably play the least amount of anyone.

I know all of this because I myself botted once upon a time many seasons ago since no action was ever taken, and within 3 weeks i was 1800...after 4 weeks 2000+ and i hardly ever played except a handful of hrs on weekends due to working 40hrs a week and going out often. I can admit it, and it was unethical.

While paragon is a problem all in itself, blizzard has made it clear they will not change how paragon works. So if that is the world we are forced to live in, please at the very least perform multiple ban waves throughout each season to keep some sort of integrity on the LB - since that is basically the only end game we have to work with.

With the addition of primals and as rare as they seem they will be, that only will widen the gap even more since botters have a near unlimited supply of materials to constantly craft and reforge drastically more than one who does not bot.

Again, I urge blizzard to please take action against the use of bots since it completely destroys the end game you have left us with. I know not everyone can be caught but it is fairly obvious who is botting when 90% of the play time on an acct is in GR73 running LTK.

Competition in itself is what entertains us. And competing against bots is anything but fun.

I realize botting does not impact everyone...but it does impact LB for those that wish to compete on them, which for some of us is all that's left to do after a certain point other than grinding +mainstat.

Thanks for reading
Sorry for bad english
My stance on botters is that they're fine if they stay off the leaderboards. I know many botters do this.

Botting and then taking the #1 spot with your botted items becomes a problem, and those players deserve to be banned. (If you see such players on the leaderboards, report them. Players like <Never> Offline who get reported constantly will end up banned)

I also think that rather than banning botters, Blizzard should flag their accounts to prevent them and their groups from appearing on the leaderboards. Of course, we all know this won't happen because banning botters is a better source of income.
they don't care. Sc member bots flood the leader boards like SoS did back in season 5. blizz is either waiting to do a massive ban wave like they did then, or they will just let them finish the season and say fvck you to it's players who play legit.

i don't care either way. if people want or need to bot to have fun, who cares. you can still get top 10 rank in your class with no botting, you just have to play hard. you want rank 1 you have to bot or play 16+ hour days.

it's the game you signed up for. ball is in blizzard's court now and all we can do is just wait and see what happens come the last weeks of the season.

just remember, even if they do ban them, they will just be back next season lol.
if you have to allow botters, and as you're really banning only a very very small percentage of top top leaderboard, just ban ALL botters from any leaderboard both in season and non season or shame them in the community like having to wear a forced Chiken Hat for 1 month...
02/22/2017 07:36 AMPosted by Sickened
A lot of people will say "how does it effect you if others bot?" Well, short answer, and for casuals, it doesn't.
Wrong. Botting affects everyone. No matter if you bot or not, no matter if you are casual or competitive player, no matter if you play 1h per day or 16h per day, no matter if you know that botting exists or not. Botting affects everyone since a large percent of the playerbase are disgusted about botting and are not playing/recommending the game. This means lower income and less content for everyone, including the casual players.

Nand pointed out that banning botters and allowing them to rebuy the game license is a form of income, but this income would have been x10 times bigger if D3 is a clean game where botting does not offer any significant advantage. Botting is simply destroying the game on every single level. It has been the most damaging thing to the Diablo series all these years. The devs have to wake up and kill botting by design!
02/22/2017 08:32 AMPosted by Skelos
It has been the most damaging thing to the Diablo series all these years. The devs have to wake up and kill botting by design!

Diablo is a game that lives by loot grinding. Removing bots from Diablo by design would require a completely different game.
They just banned a bunch of them in the past 2 weeks.

There's a lot of "buddy" users whining about it.
blizzard remains silent on such issues,

No they don't. There are a lot of people recently banned, Blizzard won a court case in Dec against one of the major bot makers, they took action in Korea so that only OW accounts properly registered with the govt can play the game, etc. I mention other games because it shows Blizz is working on the issue overall, not just in one game.

They don't brag about it, but they do keep taking action and will continue to do so.
02/22/2017 10:15 AMPosted by nand
Diablo is a game that lives by loot grinding. Removing bots from Diablo by design would require a completely different game.
Not really. There are a few options, which are absolutely consistent with having loot grinding and NOT having botting, which gives advantage in finding loot.
02/22/2017 10:27 AMPosted by Skelos
Not really. There are a few options, which are absolutely consistent with having loot grinding and NOT having botting, which gives advantage in finding loot.

In any loot grinding game that gives an advantage to people who play longer, there will be an incentive to bot 24/7 to become stronger.

One thing you could do in principle is add time gating like in WoW (e.g. weekly loot/XP caps), this makes it so that you can remain competitive with only X hours per week of time investment. This will remove the majority of botters, because botting will no longer provide an advantage over manual play.

Another thing you could do is cap the grind at such a low level that you can reach it without having to bot; for example you could make paragon 1000 the cap, remove ancient items and remove augments. This also effectively removes bots from the game completely.

The question in both of these cases is whether or not the goal of “remove bots” is worth the significant changes to the game it would require.
Smart captcha on the rift obelisk upon opening every 5 rifts. No more bots.
I understand a lot of players do not care about bots and blizzard remains silent on such issues, but I hope they still read and understand the severity and how much of an epidemic botting has become

c'mon! you hide behind a secondary account for only one reason, you bot yourself and are just angry at the guy doing better than you who also bots.

ENOUGH!
02/22/2017 10:24 AMPosted by MissCheetah

No they don't. There are a lot of people recently banned, Blizzard won a court case in Dec against one of the major bot makers, they took action in Korea so that only OW accounts properly registered with the govt can play the game, etc. I mention other games because it shows Blizz is working on the issue overall, not just in one game.

They don't brag about it, but they do keep taking action and will continue to do so.

edit: never mind, he/she is not worth getting forum banned.

He/she always white knights blizzard with quotes and useles information about other games, when in fact nothing is being done in d3
02/22/2017 10:32 AMPosted by nand
The question in both of these cases is whether or not the goal of “remove bots” is worth the significant changes to the game it would require.
There would always be a trade-off once you decide to kill botting by design. A smart trade-off would be to offer your players the choice whether they want to play without any caps, restrictions etc, but to be part of a player pool that receives advantage from botting, OR they want to have caps, but the botting to be not worth it. A great opportunity in Diablo 3 for this is already in place - we have season and non-season. The player pool is already separated. The devs could use this further to implement some restrictions for seasons and kill botting only there. The players would then have the choice.
Bot population can't be stopped by banning them one by one as they appear. There are multiboxers, different DNS of newly appearing bot softwares to be detected; all must be cleared at once because bots actually don't pose any threat to normal players at all unless they play for leaderboards.
In the end, those are a part of active playerbase and a source of income for Blizzard when you bash their head to the sand once again. If Blizzard were to go ahead and eliminate them one by one, it'd require more effort than banning a pre-made list of players. Some 3rd party sites may evolve to counter measure for bot preventing security checks, and banning them one by one would be like convicting someone before crime (which is; playing for leaderboards and cluttering space without any fairplay) is committed.

Latest tweaks they did to PA system shown that they still care about botting to a degree. They certainly don't want some botter to take top places so easily yet still introduced a small loot hunt for players who cared to grind.
02/22/2017 10:24 AMPosted by MissCheetah

Bravo. Now how can we go about getting Skelos banned?
j/k Skelly.
02/22/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Intenzity

Ha! Click all the pictures that are not demons.

Pretty sure botters would just continue botting during the day, even if they can no longer bot at night as well. Your suggestion just changes it from 24/7 to 16/7.

Also, it would totally kill off legitimate play, because I don't know anybody who would continue playing when being bothered by constant CAPTCHAs.
02/22/2017 11:26 AMPosted by BeGentle

Ha! Click all the pictures that are not demons.

The way Tal said his buddies bot is the bot farms bounties while they run GR's and then they join the bots game to collect mats after their rifts.
Doing this they can re-roll set items over and over until they get the GG end gear and push into higher GR for more XP. He did not say the players he was talking about were clan members (Carolina Reapers) but if they were it would make perfect sense.