Philosophy and ancient primals

General Discussion
Hi there,

I know it can be easy to panic when a developer offers free content so I'd like to remind people of a few things before they lose their mind on the forums.

1. Every online game will eventually shut down and your progress will disappear - That includes blizzard games, your entire steam library and any game that uses any from of online DRM. You do not own these things, you are merely licensed to play them.

2. Developers have absolutely no obligation to continue to develop a game after release or give any content out for free.

3. Many games have some kind of win-state. This is not true of D3. D3 keeps going forever and ever. Sure you can finish the story, you can finish your set, you can finish your build but the game doesn't end, you don't "win". The core gameplay loop is all we have.

So when told that the devs are adding a new tier of loot try to remember that the game is a journey and not a destination. They are giving you more to do, and, in this case, they are doing so for free. Thanks devs.

Also always remember it's a video game and doesn't truly matter. It's to be PLAYED for enjoyment and it won't last forever. In fact, negativity on such a large scale is likely to kill it quicker. Then all of your items won't mean a darned thing.

I'm not saying don't voice complaints. I'm saying voice constructive complains and try to be objective about the game as a whole, because that's all it is, a game.
1. Calling primal ancients “free content” is misleading. There's no content, it's forcing you to relive the same content except this time 10x longer.

2. Calling anything “free” is misleading because we paid for this game. Diablo's business model was “pay once, get updates”, and that's the business model it should stick to. “It's a free update!” is not an excuse for providing poor quality updates that actively decrease enjoyment of the game; especially considering Diablo was one of the best-selling PC games of all time.

3. Diablo III has a win state for me. My goal is to complete my gear (that is: every item with the right rolls). Sure, you'll never get the absolute maximum stats, but at least getting optimal rolls is within reach. I stop playing every season once I've accomplished this. That goal is no longer possible in the future, so I might as well not even begin trying anymore.

4. Many people care about leaderboards and competition. Primal Ancients destroy competition; because due to the fact that it's now impossible to get optimal gear by the end of the season, the #1 leaderboard spot will basically be defined by whoever got the GG primal weapon.
02/01/2017 03:24 AMPosted by Slamfire
They are giving you more to do, and, in this case, they are doing so for free. Thanks devs.

Yes thanks for the free stuff. BUT!
No one ever asked for more power creep that is to become the primal ancient items. This is not more for the players to do. This is just letting us to the exact same old thing again. Now only with higher numbers.

I want to be able to play with my friends. Not go seperate ways the second one of us finds a primal weapon because now he can do 20 grifts higher and we're standing in the way.

Give us more the possibility to do different kinds of activities. Not different kinds of numbers.

02/01/2017 03:56 AMPosted by nand
the #1 leaderboard spot will basically be defined by whoever got the GG primal weapon.

Yup

4. Many people care about leaderboards and competition. Primal Ancients destroy competition; because due to the fact that it's now impossible to get optimal gear by the end of the season, the #1 leaderboard spot will basically be defined by whoever got the GG primal weapon.

Indeed. #1 leaderboard spot is who got lucky.
1. Calling primal ancients “free content” is misleading. There's no content, it's forcing you to relive the same content except this time 10x longer.

2. Calling anything “free” is misleading because we paid for this game. Diablo's business model was “pay once, get updates”, and that's the business model it should stick to. “It's a free update!” is not an excuse for providing poor quality updates that actively decrease enjoyment of the game; especially considering Diablo was one of the best-selling PC games of all time.

3. Diablo III has a win state for me. My goal is to complete my gear (that is: every item with the right rolls). Sure, you'll never get the absolute maximum stats, but at least getting optimal rolls is within reach. I stop playing every season once I've accomplished this. That goal is no longer possible in the future, so I might as well not even begin trying anymore.

I agree except your #2, you paid for the GAME, not the updates.

There must be some content or people would not be so upset. A game cannot force you to do anything, that is part of what makes it a game.

The updates were never explicitly part of the contract of purchase and weren't guaranteed anywhere (please cite me otherwise if incorrect), they are expected of Blizzard by fans but that's it. Your opinion that the update will actively decrease your enjoyment of the game is subjective but valid, which is why I'm all for constructive criticism that can compromise with both the devs and people who like the new content. Remember the game is not made for you, but for the entire playerbase.

If your goal is a destination based around RNG maybe you should just make a program that rolls dice until you get 2000 6's. Perhaps changing your perception to where it's the act of getting to that endgame place that makes you enjoy the game might be beneficial. Ultimately you must remember that all your gear is virtual and very, very temporary so having a "completed" character is essentially meaningless. It's just a ride.

For sure subjective but again a very valid point. Perhaps the solution to this is have a separate competitive League without ancients, but good luck getting everyone to agree what content is competitive and what is not.

Also I would add the #1 leaderboard spot will almost always go to the player with the best gear, regardless of what gear you cut from the game. It's a loot-driven game. Perhaps find a game like Unreal Tournament that is near-completely skill driven if you don't want random drops to be a factor in success.

EDIT: Changed "completely skill driven" to "near-completely skill driven" because I guess to an extent bullet spray and some physics in UT are based on limited RNG.
Yes thanks for the free stuff. BUT!
No one ever asked for more power creep that is to become the primal ancient items. This is not more for the players to do. This is just letting us to the exact same old thing again. Now only with higher numbers.

Its a loot-driven game so the numbers have to get higher. It is objectively more for the players to do. By your logic we should all have level 1 characters with all abilities unlocked and there should only be basic, white weapons in the game.

As a side note that might actually be an interesting take on the ARPG. Have players defined by interesting perk choices (like those in Fallout 3 or New Vegas) rather than purely by gear stat numbers.

I want to be able to play with my friends. Not go seperate ways the second one of us finds a primal weapon because now he can do 20 grifts higher and we're standing in the way.

I couldn't agree more but this is a problem every loot-driven game has. The fix here would be to scale players down to zones or their friends (Guild Wars 2 opts for zone scaling). The problem with doing that is that hard scaling makes stat and loot progression pointless, and once again were at a point where you may as well only have 1 level of player and gear.

Give us more the possibility to do different kinds of activities. Not different kinds of numbers.

Again I completely agree but that kind of content is way more expensive, both financially and time-wise, to produce than this content, which I'll remind you is part of a free update.

My other suggestion is instead of simply saying "give me more activities" you be constructive and try to come up with some ideas. Likely you'll find it's not as easy as you think and most of the ideas you'll come up with will just boil down to "kill mobs, get loot", which is what we already have.

EDIT: Fixed broken quotes
EDIT 2: No the won't work, quotes all belong to KuraiDedman
There must be some content or people would not be so upset. A game cannot force you to do anything, that is part of what makes it a game.

People are upset because it's essentially equivalent to Blizzard going into the game and deleting all of our characters and legendaries so we get to re-farm everything. Entire stash tabs worth of GG rolled ancient legendaries in non-season all just automatically salvaged, a la “What's that, you worked months to get all this gear? Oops, I deleted it - here, go do it again!”.

A few weeks ago, for example, I found a Heart of Crashing Wave that was so ludicrously perfect that I was left speechless - thinking to myself “I'll never need to replace this item for the rest of Diablo III's lifetime”. I was overjoyed, knowing that I'd always have the ideal R6 chest available for whatever build I want to try out. Seems I was wrong, now it's just another drop in the forgotten soul stack.

It's not content, it's anti-content. It's deleting our progress, making us salvage every item we thought we had.

The updates were never explicitly part of the contract of purchase and weren't guaranteed anywhere (please cite me otherwise if incorrect), they are expected of Blizzard by fans but that's it.

I don't speak legal, I speak human. The developers have pretty much stated as much in interviews, and even actively defended not adding, say, a cash shop by claiming that Diablo was sold under a “buy once for a flat price, get updates” model and that's the model they're committed to sticking to. They justified it by saying that the goal was to generate player trust in Blizzard (as a company), for the purpose of selling future Blizzard games better. (It's their “long-term, not short-term” mindset)

No, you aren't going to be able to sue Blizzard; but that's not what this is about - it's about Blizzard being in the process of actively dismantling that player trust. I don't want to see Blizzard run another franchise I enjoy into the ground by failing to understand their player base.

Perhaps changing your perception to where it's the act of getting to that endgame place that makes you enjoy the game might be beneficial.

The act of getting closer to the goal is enjoyable because it gets me closer to the goal, making it incrementally more within reach. Right now, I'm playing more than I ever did during the beginning of the season, precisely because I'm so close to my goal for this season (only a few item slots are still terrible).

When that goal is so far away you can't even begin to bother, it sucks the enjoyment out of trying to chase it.

Ultimately you must remember that all your gear is virtual and very, very temporary so having a "completed" character is essentially meaningless. It's just a ride.

Yep, but the feeling of knowing I achieved optimality is what sticks, and that's what matters to me. I want to achieve perfection - attain the maximum possible. I want to exhaust the limits of what's possible. This is also why I spend so much time theorycrafting. It's all a tool to get me closer to defining the ultimate limits, figuring out whether I could get even 1 GR higher by optimizing differently, etc.

In the future, that will no longer be possible, and therefore my main source of enjoyment / satisfaction will be gone.

02/01/2017 04:20 AMPosted by Slamfire
Also I would add the #1 leaderboard spot will almost always go to the player with the best gear, regardless of what gear you cut from the game. It's a loot-driven game. Perhaps find a game like Unreal Tournament that is near-completely skill driven if you don't want random drops to be a factor in success.

Funny, I spent something like 7-10 years playing Unreal Tournament 2004. It really is one of the best games ever made, in my opinion. Diablo could learn a lot from it.

Personally, I would enjoy Diablo a lot more if I could just go into d3planner, make my dream items/rolls, and take them into an actual greater rift - rather than first having to spend 500+ hours actually farming all of that gear before it's possible to test it out. But oh well, it is what it is; and if Blizzard wants me to b- I mean grind, then grind I will.
02/01/2017 04:46 AMPosted by nand
People are upset because it's essentially equivalent to Blizzard going into the game and deleting all of our characters and legendaries so we get to re-farm everything. Entire stash tabs worth of GG rolled ancient legendaries in non-season all just automatically salvaged, a la “What's that, you worked months to get all this gear? Oops, I deleted it - here, go do it again!”.

A few weeks ago, for example, I found a Heart of Crashing Wave that was so ludicrously perfect that I was left speechless - thinking to myself “I'll never need to replace this item for the rest of Diablo III's lifetime”. I was overjoyed, knowing that I'd always have the ideal R6 chest available for whatever build I want to try out. Seems I was wrong, now it's just another drop in the forgotten soul stack.

It's not content, it's anti-content. It's deleting our progress, making us salvage every item we thought we had.

I understand your point but again I truly think it's a matter of perception at a little bit of an over-reaction. Blizzard haven't deleted anything or nerfed your current gear, nor has it made you destroy your current gear. You haven't become any less powerful than you once were. There are now just better things out there.

This is true of pretty much all things, even physical. You built an awesome PC? 6 months from now it'll no longer be as relatively good. It doesn't make your PC any less powerful but if you want to play the latest games at the highest framerates you are going to have to upgrade.

I don't speak legal, I speak human. The developers have pretty much stated as much in interviews, and even actively defended not adding, say, a cash shop by claiming that Diablo was sold under a “buy once for a flat price, get updates” model and that's the model they're committed to sticking to. They justified it by saying that the goal was to generate player trust in Blizzard (as a company), for the purpose of selling future Blizzard games better. (It's their “long-term, not short-term” mindset)

As I remember there was initially a D3 auction house with real money transactions. I approve of this being shut down but it means that this game has been left unmonetized for years. They have given out loads of updates that have made the game significantly more content-rich and fixed a lot of peoples complaints with the initial release. They are really under no obligation to continue to do so at this point and i cannot imagine the game makes them much money these days. I also imagine the upcoming Necromancer pack will be their indicator of whether the game is still profitable or not to continue to update, or whether they should just stop now and move straight onto D4 or other projects.

Yep, but the feeling of knowing I achieved optimality is what sticks, and that's what matters to me. I want to achieve perfection - attain the maximum possible. I want to exhaust the limits of what's possible. This is also why I spend so much time theorycrafting. It's all a tool to get me closer to defining the ultimate limits, figuring out whether I could get even 1 GR higher by optimizing differently, etc.

In the future, that will no longer be possible, and therefore my main source of enjoyment / satisfaction will be gone.

I actually completely agree and this is the reason I love D3 over rival games such as PoE. I love that you can suddenly change all of your skills and gear and try something else. I don't think primal ancients break that at all, although I will concede they might make the price of entry a little higher.

Funny, I spent something like 7-10 years playing Unreal Tournament 2004. It really is one of the best games ever made, in my opinion. Diablo could learn a lot from it.

Me too, check out the new one it's free and great (although still early access)

Personally, I would enjoy Diablo a lot more if I could just go into d3planner, make my dream items/rolls, and take them into an actual greater rift - rather than first having to spend 500+ hours actually farming all of that gear before it's possible to test it out. But oh well, it is what it is; and if Blizzard wants me to b- I mean grind, then grind I will.

I love planning characters too but unfortunately I think it's the grind that is the actual gameplay and gives the "completed" build any value. You could play Torchlight or Dark Souls or any offline game, plan an optimum build and cheat yourself all of the items but you'll find it makes the game really boring, very short-lived and very unsatisfying.
1. Every online game will eventually shut down and your progress will disappear - That includes blizzard games, your entire steam library and any game that uses any from of online DRM. You do not own these things, you are merely licensed to play them.

If they ever dare to close a multi million dollar business they're bunch of suckers.
Are you awaiting a zombie apocalypse or WW3? I hope you have a bunker at that basement. I paid for the game, and you can't re-sell it to us as; being-self-entitled.

2. Developers have absolutely no obligation to continue to develop a game after release or give any content out for free.

No excuse for poor "content". If you can "buy" into that.

3. Many games have some kind of win-state. This is not true of D3. D3 keeps going forever and ever. Sure you can finish the story, you can finish your set, you can finish your build but the game doesn't end, you don't "win". The core gameplay loop is all we have.

They said it themselves. Damage inflation burdened their servers. Now can you tell me what they're trying to achieve by increasing the damage output, mr.fanboy? 6 posts and 4 of them is here with a doublepost...
02/01/2017 08:13 AMPosted by Slamfire
Online games always shut down eventually

Not gonna happen until the next 20 years. Buckle up instead of listening to The Smiths. Focus on now, fanboy. What are you up to? Are you trying to convince people that they'll die tomorrow? We all knew that. I didn't know playing Diablo 3 or reading forums can make someone into an emo...

It's not necessarily objectively poor content.

It is poor content on both ends. Blizzard been complaining about the server burden and nerfed the WotWastest set. Now they're aiming for 10-30% more damage output with full Primal Ancients. That only tells me two things;
1. They had money to get better servers and begged community for pity and sympathy. They can allow us to have 11 legendary gems for all to care for their next step and I wouldn't be surprised.
2. They have no idea about what they're doing. They have no ideals, they have no clue to fix the loop of loothunt. They just don't give a heck about breaking a vicious cycle or anything. They just saw playerbase is losing interest and they chose to trash everything in a whim by invalidating what we have WITHOUT an expansion aka a real content pack.

It's normal for your gear to get trashed when an expansion or large content pack hits, but we're like 6 months away from the closest content patch which is a paid DLC. And from the looks our gear and builds will be trashed way before that.

I'm not a fanboy I just don't have the same emotional reaction to the idea that there will be more loot that a lot of people are having.

In my opinion you're just emo who keeps thinking bleak thoughts about how will it end someday.

who already have everything something else to strive for.

They stepped on way many people's back to do that. That still doesn't give any excuse. And those are the people who supposedly will buy Necro pack when it hits. I started to believe their target audience are the botters now.
Not gonna happen until the next 20 years. Buckle up instead of listening to The Smiths. Focus on now, fanboy. What are you up to? Are you trying to convince people that they'll die tomorrow? We all knew that. I didn't know playing Diablo 3 or reading forums can make someone into an emo...

It might happen it might not. Even if it doesn't will anybody still be playing if D4 is released? Will D3 be anything like it is now? We have no way of knowing. My point is not that you shouldn't enjoy the game now but that the idea of some kind of top-level item permanence is a fundamentally flawed one, especially in a game about advancing through tiers of loot.

Also there's really no need for name-calling if your points are valid.

It is poor content on both ends. Blizzard been complaining about the server burden and nerfed the WotWastest set. Now they're aiming for 10-30% more damage output with full Primal Ancients. That only tells me two things;
1. They had money to get better servers and begged community for pity and sympathy. They can allow us to have 11 legendary gems for all to care for their next step and I wouldn't be surprised.
2. They have no idea about what they're doing. They have no ideals, they have no clue to fix the loop of loothunt. They just don't give a heck about breaking a vicious cycle or anything. They just saw playerbase is losing interest and they chose to trash everything in a whim by invalidating what we have WITHOUT an expansion aka a real content pack.

1. Yes Blizzard Activision are one of the worlds largest game companies so ofc they have money for servers. I don't see what gems have to do with that at all.
2. Maybe they don't want to fix the loop because the loothunt is the only real gameplay. I welcome the idea of having new loot to acquire. I don't know what vicious cycle you're talking about but I can tell you it's a game and nobody can make you play it.

I would LOVE a proper new expansion pack with more characters and a new zone or two but until they're sure there's enough income to make it financially viable it's not gonna happen. Regular, free content updates like this is what they do to try and maintain playerbase until sellable content is ready.

Also I think "trash everything on a whim" might be a tad melodramatic.

It's normal for your gear to get trashed when an expansion or large content pack hits, but we're like 6 months away from the closest content patch which is a paid DLC. And from the looks our gear and builds will be trashed way before that.

The builds will be the same you'll just need to farm out the higher quality items if you really care about being the absolute maximum power possible. I don't see how these new items have anything to do with the Necromancer as the Necromancer items don't exist yet.

In my opinion you're just emo who keeps thinking bleak thoughts about how will it end someday.

Again no need for name calling. I do not see them as bleak thoughts, but i do see them as rational ones. It's just a game, it doesn't matter. Most people should be playing because they enjoy playing, as very very few of them will ever make a career out of top-level play.
02/01/2017 09:44 AMPosted by Slamfire
I don't see how these new items have anything to do with the Necromancer as the Necromancer items don't exist yet.

I don't get what are you struggling to follow-up. Back in 2000's MMOs or RPG games only meant to trash previous era gear when a large content pack hits. I don't see such thing as of now, and I see no standing ground from here. We got a promise of DLC 5 months later, and like we got something big all our current gear becoming invalidated. It's not melodramatic to say everything is trashed when group-meta will be shifted for 30% more dps than what you have.

but i do see them as rational ones.

Too rational. If game is gonna die "someday in the future" why are you wasting time here again? Don't post on the forums, don't play the game. Let people do whatever they love instead of making them feel self-entitled.

but until they're sure there's enough income to make it financially viable it's not gonna happen

They can invest in better servers clearly. Why not?
If this move made for people to buy Necro and "start fresh" it can pretty much backfire as well. This uproar from forums you read is only a natural part of it.
Surprised that no MvP called us a minority yet...

It's just a game, it doesn't matter. Most people should be playing because they enjoy playing, as very very few of them will ever make a career out of top-level play.

Some people DO love the game indeed. More than Blizzard itself I can say.
No one expects Blizzard to create a competitive scene but simple PvP, btw. If they had money it could be better spent on creating real content instead of inflating numbers they love so much.
I started to doubt if they had any ideals when team took control of this game.
cant believe some ppl are whining about primal ancient:
the biggest problem aside paragon is that you get your gear too fast and primal ancients are a step in the right direction to fix that (even the paragon factor is less important with that)
the primary aspect of d3 is killing monster to farm gear - getting done fast with gearing is a bad thing not a good....
I don't get what are you struggling to follow-up. Back in 2000's MMOs or RPG games only meant to trash previous era gear when a large content pack hits. I don't see such thing as of now, and I see no standing ground from here. We got a promise of DLC 5 months later, and like we got something big all our current gear becoming invalidated. It's not melodramatic to say everything is trashed when group-meta will be shifted for 30% more dps than what you have.
No one expects Blizzard to create a competitive scene but simple PvP, btw. If they had money it could be better spent on creating real content instead of inflating numbers they love so much.

I think one of the key differences is that back in the 2000s regular, small content updates were much harder to distribute so companies had to wait and put them all in larger expansion packs.

The change in general internet quality since then means the move towards more frequent but less sizable updates is going to become more commonplace. You should not think of the experience as a thing to be completed and then expanded upon, it is more of a constant evolution now.

Your current gear is not invalid, it will still do exactly what it did before in exactly the same time at exactly the same difficulty, except now there is something else to work towards. Yes the group meta will shift but if you have a good group of friends then that won't matter. Also everyone is experiencing it so everybody is in the same position, try to move with the meta.

I'm sure Blizzard Activision have plenty of money but D3 is not a high earning ip like WoW or Overwatch, so understandably progress will be put on a back burner. This is especially true when it comes to high-quality premium content because the cost of making it is so much higher, and the potential for failure is so much higher. Even though we all see it as a game to Blizzard it is, first and foremost, a business and will be run as such.
Wow naksiloth the only thing I took away from any of your posts was an incessant rant. Slamfire was very rational, very straight forward, and any game criticism was constructive. The diatribe you wrote was anything but... As Slamfire said, 1) This is just a game. 2) It will end eventually.. 3) People will definitely move on to the next best thing as soon as it's available. 4) (this one is all mine) I didn't perceive anything Slamfire said as being any kind of Fanboy. I actually enjoyed reading his comments. 5) I didn't enjoy or like anything you posted, it was a complete waste of time for anyone to have to read... Good gaming to you....

LorenSilvrcloak
Hi there,

I know it can be easy to panic when a developer offers free content so I'd like to remind people of a few things before they lose their mind on the forums.

[/quote]

I have been PC gaming since 1999. We are very closely creeping up on the 20 year mark of my PC gaming and not one OF MY GAMES I'VE PLAYED has been shut down. Every single one I've spent any amount of time on I can go and play online STILL to this day. This eventually you're referring to especially with Blizzard games is a long long long time away.

Ownership is a very touchy subject. Most politicians are not educated on the facts about how gaming companies are currently encouraging gambling to minors and how they're gouging people. There will come a day when this "ownership" is taken on by most political systems and I highly suspect gaming companies will be on the losing end.

As far as number 2 goes they will if they want to be successful. Just because you're foolish enough to believe they need money thrown at them to produce more doesn't mean everyone is. People throw money at Hearthstone like crazy and it's one of their games with the least amount of content. It could be x100 the game it is, but Blizzard doesn't need to make it that because people just throw money at them anyways.
02/01/2017 10:39 AMPosted by Silvrcloak
1) This is just a game. 2) It will end eventually..

True, true... But being Cpt.Oblivious wouldn't really help anything. If people gonna rant, people gonna rant. Blizzard keep clogging their ears and prefer to not respond in forums at all. Every once in a while someone rants and defends Blizzard just to spite people, but in rare occassions (like primal ancient rare if you catch my drift there, park my car ... etc.) some rationals like Slamfire appears.

What I read so far, that the game I love so much will die eventually in like 25-30+ years when Blizzard; a multimillion dollar company "finally" give up. But I tell you what, D2 been going for 17 years. How in the hell are you gonna foresee any event in the next 20 years? Aren't this abit TOO rational?
Would you really go ahead and slay the golden egg laying goose? "OH hey! It's been 20 years and I didn't eat goose liver for a long time. Let's slay the golden egg laying goose." said no one ever. They certainly invested in better servers instead of thinking ahead, this damage inflation can't tell anything else.

I already quit playing long ago, but I love the game that I've been already thinking that I could return to it at some point. I'm sad and angry at the same time that we didn't get real content but all of our current gear is invalidated.
This is shoehorning everyone into starting from the square one. And guess what, you'll do the same thing all over again to do the same thing better all over again. Nothing ever changed. How will anyone would bring buying Necro when every gear will be trashed by another RNG layer again. This is completely reverse what they said 2 years ago in a reddit review.

D2 been going for 17+ years, and we never had RNG layers as a threat to our looting scheme. If D3 been rewinding and invalidating everything it only shows how lost the D3 team are. Are we playing an ARPG or MMO? inb4 "D3 is not D2" argument, oh hey you certainly got me. D3 been lagging behind D2's scheme for years. Allocating stats, übers, whatever you may think of.
We got "Rekt", kiddos.