Philosophy and ancient primals

General Discussion
This doesn't make journey more fun, just moves the goal post with nothing new.
02/01/2017 01:18 PMPosted by Midnight
This doesn't make journey more fun, just moves the goal post with nothing new.

That is ultimately true but if you don't enjoy the core gameplay loop you should really look for other games. For those that do enjoy the loop this is an extension of content.
02/04/2017 07:47 AMPosted by Slamfire
That is ultimately true but if you don't enjoy the core gameplay loop you should really look for other games. For those that do enjoy the loop this is an extension of content.

What, to you, is the core gameplay of Diablo? Running rifts over and over again for 10+ hours/day using the same cookiecutter build and disenchanting 5,000 legendaries before you get an upgrade? (Except now it's 50,000 instead of 5,000)

To me, the core gameplay of Diablo is having fun with new and different builds; trying out variations of setups, playing new classes, trying out different sets, swapping around gems, etc.

The excitement for me comes from trying to find optimal setups and trying to break the meta. The main hindrance to this is the fact that we currently need to invest 500 hours into a single build of a single class until we can actually start to become competitive with it. So much for challenging the meta when you need 2 months (soon: 2 years) before you can start playing the darn spec.

If you enjoy mindless repetition while hoping to be blessed by RNG, maybe you would enjoy slot machines or lottery participation more than Diablo III?
This is why online exclusive gameplay fails because I have several of the old systems like playstation,xbox original and continue to enjoy the games way past the design intent.
02/04/2017 07:55 AMPosted by nand
What, to you, is the core gameplay of Diablo? Running rifts over and over again for 10+ hours/day using the same cookiecutter build and disenchanting 5,000 legendaries before you get an upgrade? (Except now it's 50,000 instead of 5,000)

To me, the core gameplay of Diablo is having fun with new and different builds; trying out variations of setups, playing new classes, trying out different sets, swapping around gems, etc.

For me the core gameplay is all of this. Repetitive running of rifts with drops every time leading to improvement of my character. One of the reasons I like D3 so much is that players are free to swap out skills and runes so freely, and can play around with new builds. Getting crappy loot drops is an unfortunate and unavoidable side effect of procedurally generated loot.

The core gameplay loop of this game is and always will be Fight Enemies>Get Loot and XP>Upgrade Character>Repeat. The choices players make to get on top of that add depth but are not part of the core gameplay loop per say.

The excitement for me comes from trying to find optimal setups and trying to break the meta. The main hindrance to this is the fact that we currently need to invest 500 hours into a single build of a single class until we can actually start to become competitive with it. So much for challenging the meta when you need 2 months (soon: 2 years) before you can start playing the darn spec.

500 hours for a top-level ARPG character is not a huge amount of time, and D3 is already lenient in how it allows players to constantly respec with no penalty.

The problem with trying to find new metas in a game as number driven as this is that all the best builds are mathematically calculable, and so for optimum play people will always tend towards the same "cookiecutter" builds.

If you enjoy mindless repetition while hoping to be blessed by RNG, maybe you would enjoy slot machines or lottery participation more than Diablo III?

I like the feeling of advancing a character which is why I see these new ancients as an improvement. They extend my journey.

Also the comparison to slot machine and the lottery is not unfair at an abstracted level, except D3 has much better win percentages, a sense of overall progression and can be played with friends.
02/04/2017 12:13 PMPosted by FusRoDah
This is why online exclusive gameplay fails because I have several of the old systems like playstation,xbox original and continue to enjoy the games way past the design intent.

I hear you brother, the always online nature of D3 is one of the things that annoys me most. If they had let it work offline people could feel free to mod or add and remove features at their will and everyone would be happy.
02/01/2017 04:06 AMPosted by KuraiDedman
02/01/2017 03:24 AMPosted by Slamfire
They are giving you more to do, and, in this case, they are doing so for free. Thanks devs.

Yes thanks for the free stuff. BUT!
No one ever asked for more power creep that is to become the primal ancient items. This is not more for the players to do. This is just letting us to the exact same old thing again. Now only with higher numbers.

I want to be able to play with my friends. Not go seperate ways the second one of us finds a primal weapon because now he can do 20 grifts higher and we're standing in the way.

Give us more the possibility to do different kinds of activities. Not different kinds of numbers.

02/01/2017 03:56 AMPosted by nand
the #1 leaderboard spot will basically be defined by whoever got the GG primal weapon.

Yup

1. This patch wasn't advertised as a patch with "more to do" it's a patch that's adding some extra stuff here and there. Higher tier of gear, some QoL improvements, hopefully some bug fixes. It isn't like Blizzard said to us, "Dudes, you have GOT to see patch 2.5, we're adding some really kick !@# stuff we hope you'll be excited for."

2. You need better friends. If one of them can't stand to play with you just because you don't have X item that's rather sad. Besides even a fully primal'd out toon isn't immediately going from regular 95 clears to regular 115 clears. If you and your friends can't do 90's as a group then why bother grouping.

3. Different kinds of activities come mostly from DLC's, and expasions. Expecting some exciting new activity out of a hack and slash game every six months would be extremely taxing on the developers and knowing blizzard would probably require a monthly fee. Some guy tried to say we paid for the game and updates. Well, updates come in many forms. As long as the game works there isn't much else we can truly expect of them.
02/01/2017 03:24 AMPosted by Slamfire
2. Developers have absolutely no obligation to continue to develop a game after release or give any content out for free.

I guess they could or should have done that after certain patches... Expansions and other pay contents could be introduced, but so many of the mechanics that made D3 Vanilla so good had gone with RoS.
(No more life steal? WTF???)
The problem is the devs have no clue what to put in and what not to.

#MakeD3GreatAgain