Crafting Mat Storage Improvement For Gems

General Discussion
While the new change to store crafting mats will be very helpful, I really wish it supported gems.

What they should do is the following:

1. Add gems of marquise or better to the Crafting Mats UI automatically in a new "Gems" section, which shows each type of gem.

2. If you need to remove gems from the UI, then click on the type you need and a 5 slot grid will appear at the bottom of the UI showing each quality from marquise and above. You would then need to use the split stack functionality to remove gems from the UI for socketing/cube purposes. Upgrading gems would pull directly from the UI, like it does from storage now.

3. If you have gems you need to add back to the UI, then either drop them on the ground and pick them back up, or drag them back into the 5 slot grid.

If someone has photoshop skills, maybe they could mockup something. :)

Also, while it would also be nice to put legendary gems in the UI like this, I don't think they can due to the level differences you may have for the same gems.
I support this idea immensely. It seems like they almost did this too, since when you pick up gems, it gives a little notification above your character, just like mats do.
Yeah, they always seem to go about 90% on an improvement and leave us hanging.
+1 in a big way. It clutters up inventory right now
Yep. I have a mule just for gems and crafting mats. It would be nice to free up that character slot.
I have another idea for gems, here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20753285577?page=1

Check it out. I like the idea of gems not being in the stash.
I'm all for alternate uses for gems, but at some point you'll still need storage depending on the cost to combine the gems under the change you proposed, especially in the early part of a season when a player might be low on funds and or DBs.

Maybe they need to implement both our ideas? :)
It would be nice to add gems to the flyout list as a crafting material, but it would get kind of clunky I think.

I am looking at it now, and the addition of 5 levels of 5 gem types (if only marquise and higher were there) would require quite a bit of real estate, and it would get pretty messy imho.

For Kanai's cube stuff it wouldn't be as bad since the Fill button would easily incorporate them. However, gemming sockets on your hero or stuff in the stash it would not be so pretty.

I suspect they would have tried something, and it didn't work out so well.

Maybe they could implement a right click on the socket and select a gem type from a drop down? Whatever they might consider has to be easily used so folks don't socket a gem they didn't want to, and then have to pay to remove it.
+1 this this this this this a thousand times this. I have lots of gams just sitting there and as outlined above, I see no good reason why gems couldn't be added to the crafting mats etc storage, unless for some reason Blizzard wanted to make us carry them. Same for legendary gems except those might be harder because of upgrades but there could be a way, certainly for not upgraded gems.

Please Blizz - it would free up a great deal of stash space, which is super important for packrats like me, and now to store more armory builds. :)
It would be nice to add gems to the flyout list as a crafting material, but it would get kind of clunky I think.

I am looking at it now, and the addition of 5 levels of 5 gem types (if only marquise and higher were there) would require quite a bit of real estate, and it would get pretty messy imho.

For Kanai's cube stuff it wouldn't be as bad since the Fill button would easily incorporate them. However, gemming sockets on your hero or stuff in the stash it would not be so pretty.

I suspect they would have tried something, and it didn't work out so well.

Maybe they could implement a right click on the socket and select a gem type from a drop down? Whatever they might consider has to be easily used so folks don't socket a gem they didn't want to, and then have to pay to remove it.
They are gonna remove the cost of pulling gems out of sockets. So that's fixed.

You say 5 levels of gems, but so far, only 2 levels drop. We're using the current highest one for gear and augments. The new levels aren't likely to sit in the stash because players would want to put the highest tier gems as possible in their gear. How many high tier gems were in the stash back in Vanilla and when RoS came? None - all (almost) were on the chars.
I'm all for alternate uses for gems, but at some point you'll still need storage depending on the cost to combine the gems under the change you proposed, especially in the early part of a season when a player might be low on funds and or DBs.

Maybe they need to implement both our ideas? :)
We're talking 5-10 of the small slots. And people in the beginning don't have that much gear, do they? Plus, with crafting mats gone, that opens up some space.

Yes, both the ideas would be welcome.
02/01/2017 01:36 PMPosted by Ba1aB
You say 5 levels of gems, but so far, only 2 levels drop. We're using the current highest one for gear and augments. The new levels aren't likely to sit in the stash because players would want to put the highest tier gems as possible in their gear. How many high tier gems were in the stash back in Vanilla and when RoS came? None - all (almost) were on the chars.

I can only speak for myself....

http://imgur.com/iA630mO

A screen capture of my current gem count. Others I know have far more than I do.

If I ever do get serious about augmenting gear for more heroes, the count will dwindle rapidly.

I see that costs to remove gems on the PTR has been removed; what am I going to do with this now? I have a bit of gold but again, others I know have far more.

http://imgur.com/N8ZpUPW
02/01/2017 01:40 PMPosted by DudleyDR
02/01/2017 01:36 PMPosted by Ba1aB

I can only speak for myself....

http://imgur.com/iA630mO

A screen capture of my current gem count. Others I know have far more than I do.
Why do you have the 2nd and 3rd highest ones? We aren't using those.

When I reach around 1500 of the lowest ones, I convert so I only have 1000 of them. I then convert a set amount of the 2nd lowest (divisible by 9) so that every one of the middle ones can become a set amount of the highest ones (which we use). There's no need for the other ones - waste of space.
Any Flawless Imperial and Royal gems are there just simply because. Why does it matter?

Any UI / Mechanics changes must address all aspects of the game and if not all players, at least a significant percentage of them; not just what is important to a few players or a restricted set of play styles.

The other tiers of gems must be included in the UI whether they have uses or not for end game. They certainly have uses in a new season.
02/01/2017 02:02 PMPosted by DudleyDR
Any Flawless Imperial and Royal gems are there just simply because. Why does it matter?

Any UI / Mechanics changes must address all aspects of the game and if not all players, at least a significant percentage of them; not just what is important to a few players or a restricted set of play styles.

The other tiers of gems must be included in the UI whether they have uses or not for end game. They certainly have uses in a new season.
I never said the gems should disappear - I just said it seems odd to have 200+ of the highest ones while having the other gems as well. "Simply because" is just lazy work. You could get 10 spaces with little work (and those gems don't drop unless you craft more).

A P400 from my clan (in season) with around 50 hours gameplay already have the highest gems in all his/her gear. So I don't see the problem. Are you saying that people starting a season (with one char) are gonna fill the entire stash up with loot from that one char (and loot for other chars they might find). I strongly disagree that space would be an issue there.
Space is not an issue for me, so that does not drive my inventory usage. You did imply that the material flyout will not need to include the two levels of gems you don't think have value. That is not correct. They may be transitory in nature, but they need to be dealt with by the interface.

I made one Season Crusader and I have a ton of stuff tucked away. In my quest to earn achieves and complete set dungeons it takes a bit of room and a lot of gem movement. It will almost all likely be deleted before season end though. Well, once I settle on what build I want to carry forward with the Crusader anyway.

And the gems in Season are of all levels as well. I only have a few hundred mill gold there so I wont waste it crafting gems I don't need when I can blow it empowering GRs and enchanting gear.
02/01/2017 02:53 PMPosted by DudleyDR
Space is not an issue for me, so that does not drive my inventory usage. You did imply that the material flyout will not need to include the two levels of gems you don't think have value. That is not correct. They may be transitory in nature, but they need to be dealt with by the interface.

I made one Season Crusader and I have a ton of stuff tucked away. In my quest to earn achieves and complete set dungeons it takes a bit of room and a lot of gem movement. It will almost all likely be deleted before season end though. Well, once I settle on what build I want to carry forward with the Crusader anyway.

And the gems in Season are of all levels as well. I only have a few hundred mill gold there so I wont waste it crafting gems I don't need when I can blow it empowering GRs and enchanting gear.
First of all, we're talking about 2 gem levels now (and more later if I get my idea put through (not likely)). Every page has 70 spaces, so 420 spaces. I'm talking about 10 spaces being used (at first for the transition to Flawless Royals - later for the highest tier gems). That's 2% of the total space (with just 6 pages - people playing season have more). I don't really see the issue there.

Secondly, like I said, I don't see people filling their stash in the time it takes to get full flawless royals in gear with a couple of chars. So I don't see the problem there either. And I stand by that having gems you don't need (because you have 200+ of flawless royals) is just lazy and poor planning.