Succubus damage?

General Discussion
Just a quick question something I maybe should know but I am curious what kind of damage does the succubus do? It looks like a fireball but it isn't, at least I don't think it is.

Just messing around doing some gem upgrading with my DH, I changed from HF/F+R to the Endless Walk + COE with the fire ammy in the cube. I was so sick of being bombarded with fire every single grift I decided to try this. So far it works fine for 70+, but when I get hit by the succubus 'fireball' it drops my HP by 50% which surprised me the first time I got smoked by a room full of them.

Is it physical...or a combination of more than one?
I always thought it was arcane
Their fireball is a spell called Blood Star. It inflicts a debuff which, if I remember correctly, will do damage to you based on how much mana you spend while the debuff is active. I'm not sure if it says what kind of damage it does, but if you bring up the menu while you're under its affect and go to the screen that shows the details of your buffs and debuffs, it may list it there.
Google says physical... but I don't know if that's correct. Wouldn't Unity or Elusive ring serve you better for an allround damage reduction?
It's physical damage. Equip a poison/arcane/fire/cold immunity amulet, and you'll see that you still take damage.
I don't know what kind of damage they do. But, I believe the animation/graphics is trying to represent the Blood Star Spell the Succubi did from Diablo 1. (This is just an assumption on my part, as I've never researched it).
03/01/2017 06:35 AMPosted by L00
Their fireball is a spell called Blood Star. It inflicts a debuff which, if I remember correctly, will do damage to you based on how much mana you spend while the debuff is active. I'm not sure if it says what kind of damage it does, but if you bring up the menu while you're under its affect and go to the screen that shows the details of your buffs and debuffs, it may list it there.

Blizz removed the debuff from their attack a while ago. Further, I think it was just a straight armor reduction.

Now, the blood curse from D2 did as described, but that's not present here.
03/01/2017 06:42 AMPosted by Jazz
Google says physical... but I don't know if that's correct. Wouldn't Unity or Elusive ring serve you better for an allround damage reduction?

I could try that but I'm happy with the damage the EW/COE gives me and having the fire ammy in the cube...well the hordes of fire casting uglies + all the reflect damage when you do solo runs with a DH makes it a lot more enjoyable.

I hope they come to their senses next patch and Fix Grifts, we are all sick of the endless trash that give no progression not to mention the huge increase in Shielded elites now. We did an 88 a couple days ago and every elite except one had shields. I'd put that down on my 'undesirable gameplay' list.
true
03/01/2017 09:41 AMPosted by Saidosha
Blizz removed the debuff from their attack a while ago. Further, I think it was just a straight armor reduction.

In vanilla it was like that. I remember playing the "stop using spenders or die" game way back then.
uhh...ok....

using google, type in "Diablo 3 succubus" and you get the Diablo wiki first thing....

Succubus pops up and in the very first paragraph of information it says "attacking with blasts of dark energy known as Blood Stars"

click on blood stars and it says:

Blood Star can only be found in the Hell levels: Level 13 to Level 16. It is also used by Succubi, being their iconic attack, and does not cost them anything to cast.

Each Blood Star hit does a third of the caster's Magic statistic in damage to the enemy. The spell costs both Life and Mana to cast (with Mana Shield, damage is automatically transferred to Mana, though).

Succubus Blood Star
Succubus using Blood Star
Blood Star deals Magic damage, but does much less damage than equivalent Fire and Lightning spells, so mostly it is used to deal with monsters who are immune to those. In Diablo I, there are no monsters who are immune to Fire and Lightning but not Magic, however there are a few such enemies in Hellfire.

Life cost does not decrease with Spell Level. It is applied even if cast from charges.

Each Blood Star moves relatively slowly and in a straight line. There is no splash damage. One can block it if needed.

Damage Calculation:

3 x Spell Level + [MagicAttribute/2] - [MagicAttribue/8]
Speed: 16

Using that information you should be able to figure out the total damage. I have to go kill demons, so I'm outta here.

ENOUGH!
03/02/2017 03:11 PMPosted by dogma420
click on blood stars and it says:

Blood Star can only be found in the Hell levels: Level 13 to Level 16. It is also used by Succubi, being their iconic attack, and does not cost them anything to cast.
This information and the rest of your post refers to D1, not D3.

Here is the link for that "Blood Stars" page: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Star

The very first line says:
Blood Star is a spell in Diablo I.

03/02/2017 03:11 PMPosted by dogma420
using google, type in "Diablo 3 succubus" and you get the Diablo wiki first thing
Here is the link for that page: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Succubus

If you scroll down to the section "Diablo III" it discusses the D3 Succubi. But, it never says what kind of damage they do.