Please Don't Use Blizzcon as a Cop Out for Content

General Discussion
Cop Out - An excuse for not doing something; To avoid or neglect problems, responsibilities, or commitments.

TL:DR - Blizzard, please don't use Blizzcon as a cop out for Diablo 3 content. Please don't discuss Blizzcon 2016 content at Blizzcon 2017. Do not release the Necromancer a month before Blizzcon 2017, and act like this is a brand new feature, and that we will be happy if that is the only thing you discuss.

At Blizzcon 2016 (November 4-5, 2016), you excited many players with multiple announcements, including the Necromancer, Darkening of Tristram event, Armory, Challenge Modes, and crafting material storage. While this wasn't an expansion that many players wanted, it did bring a little excitement to the game.

On January 4, 2017, two months after Blizzcon, you released Patch 2.4.3, which brought us the Darkening of Tristram event. This was fun for a few days, but once we finished the event, got the pet, and did the few achievements, there wasn't much of an incentive to go back.

On March 21, 2017, five months after Blizzcon, you released Patch 2.5.0, which brought us the Armory and crafting material storage. I don't want to complain about these much needed features, but your player-base has suggested the crafting material UI for well over a year. The fact that it took this long is a little disconcerting. The Armory is a great feature, but it is a little messy. It would have been better for the Armory to actually hold the gear so it doesn't get lost in our already cluttered stash, and it would also free much needed space. But whatever, beggars can't be picky and I will gladly take a feature like this rather than having nothing.

What is left? Well, the big announcements from Blizzcon 2016, the Necromancer and Challenge Modes. You already told us that the Necromancer and Challenge Modes are coming in the second half of 2017, which in Blizzard terms is probably closer to the end of the year. My guess is that it will be released on or about Season 13, which should be in October sometime. This is conveniently scheduled a month before Blizzcon 2017.

Why am I concerned about this?

It gives Blizzard the opportunity to use Blizzcon 2017 to focus on the Necromancer and Challenge Modes, and ignore future plans for the game. They will come out and talk about their most current patch (Necromancer and Challenge Modes), and act like they have solved all of our concerns with the game. Assuming the patch is before Blizzcon 2017, then this will already be old content, and it was announced at the LAST Blizzcon. If the patch is not out by Blizzcon 2017, well, we have an entirely different problem! We want to hear future plans. It is fine if you plan to discuss future Necromancer things, but don't focus on it and assume that all of our concerns have been alleviated.

We want to hear new plans. We don't want to hear more "re-worked" content or additional damage multipliers on gear.

We want new content, or significant changes:

Paragon - This was a fantastic system when it was first implemented. Now it is just a meaningless system where people just dump points into their main stat. You need a system that requires some sort of thought process. Artifacts in WoW seem like they could be implemented as a new Paragon in D3, with some changes.

End Game - Flavor of the Month compositions, which usually consist of two or three classes, with the norm being one dps. You stated at Blizzcon 2016 that bringing a support should NOT equal more damage than bringing a dps. Yet, nothing has been done, and we continue to see the same boring support compositions. What is a "hack and slash" game with a hero that is attempting to stop the demonic invasion of Sanctuary using a floppy noodle as a weapon with no damage skills?

Casual v Competitive - D3 is the ONLY game that doesn't have a competitive scene at Blizzcon, and I understand that this genre makes it difficult to have a competitive atmosphere. However, can we at least get a banner or portrait for making a leaderboard? I don't care if it is only a temporary thing until the next season concludes. Maybe implement titles finally? Let us compete for something other than the number of Forgotten Souls that we can acquire in a season. Give us a reason to try.

Bosses - I think that people forget that D3 bosses have mechanics, because our gear just allows us to steamroll them. Maybe do something that allows bosses to become much more difficult so we can challenge ourselves. How about the equivalent of a GR100 Malthael with an enrage? (this might be considered too WoWish though).

Achievements - There is actually a leaderboard for achievements, however, it is pretty much "who plays the most in the first 2 days." No skill required, which kind of goes against the idea of achievements. You need a way to make it more difficult, without making it a time sink (i.e. Achievement leaderboards in Season 1 and 2...looking at you 10k bounties). The genre kind of limits this, but I have hope that Blizzard can think of something.

So again, please announce something at Blizzcon 2017 other than "oh, we just released the Necromancer and we have solved all of the problems our players have....we now have the greatest game of all time."

Please use Blizzcon as the forum which it is meant to be - a way to reach all of your fans simultaneously and bring us NEW information and plans about upcoming content to our favorite games, not information that was discussed over a year ago. Please don't be a Donald Trump and say "well, we have plans...you'll see...and it will be HUGE." We want to hear something new and exciting at Blizzcon. That is why us nerds get so excited for Blizzcon - the thrill of THAT announcement.

Respectfully,

A huge Diablo fan
Blizzcon has historically treated the Diablo franchise like a 2nd class citizen. Nothing we can do. As the world turns....
What you are asking them not to do is probably exactly how it is going to play out. The necro is more than likely going to be released a month or two before this year's con, which I think is an absolute fail.

Then I have to remind myself of all the free content and continuous (although slow) support they still give this game to calm myself down.
03/22/2017 03:00 PMPosted by Province
What you are asking them not to do is probably exactly how it is going to play out. The necro is more than likely going to be released a month or two before this year's con, which I think is an absolute fail.

Then I have to remind myself of all the free content and continuous (although slow) support they still give this game to calm myself down.

Exactly, and that is why I made my post. I really want to see a panel of "Diablo - What's Next," not a panel of "Diablo - Class Discussion" or "Diablo Q & A - Necromancer Patch." If they don't intend to ever make an expansion (or D4), or add actual content, just break our little gamer hearts now. Don't let us sit in anticipation until Blizzcon, and then break our little gamer hearts.

I do appreciate their free content too. I have played since Season 1, and have finished every Season Journey, so I am definitely not going to complain about getting my moneys worth. We might only get "short bursts" of playable content, consisting of a week or two or enjoyment, but it is enjoyment nonetheless. However, as a longtime Diablo fan, I want to see this game to get better, not maintain a broken status quo.

It will be really crappy if they release the Necromancer a month or two before Blizzcon, and then don't discuss "What's Next," or have some incredible announcement. By the time Blizzcon comes around, we will know everything about the Necromancer and Challenge Modes. I mean, Reaper of Souls was released on March 25, 2014, and that story definitely did not end...
I wouldn't be shocked if they debuted the Necromancer at Blizzcon, and let attendees be the first to play it.

Guess once it hits PTR we will have a better idea.
I don't mind them talking about the necromancer a bit. After all, it's possibly still going to be the brand new shiny thing in the game. However, given the fact they've historically given Diablo a rather insignificant spotlight over at Blizzcon with a small fraction of what their other franchises get, I'd rather have them focus on actually new stuff instead of discussing what everyone already knows.

Frankly, at Blizzcon 2016 the thing that got me the most excited was the 64bit client announcement, because it's no small task to translate a 32bit app into 64bit format, which leads me to believe they're committed to implement more changes than we might expect in the future. I was actually surprised they barely talked about that, given the amount of work such a change entails.
They need to announce something big for the Diablo franchise to make amends with their fans. Here are some ideas Blizz, np thank me later....

- D4 release date
- HD D1 & D2 release date
- return of Blizzard North team
- return of Matt Uelmen, genius behind the epic soundtracks of the original series, back to create an entirely new soundtrack overlay to D3, and by the way this is a long sentence but worth every bit of it alrightythen...
- D3 new Acts 6 - 10 (not just 1 silly act, that's been done already - old news)

The sky is the limit Blizzard! Make us proud....now GO!
+1 @ OP
So, if they don't have anything new to show then...would you have them not talk about Diablo at all? Some people will still complain and declare the franchise dead. Like they've been doing.
03/22/2017 01:35 PMPosted by Grendela
Cop Out - An excuse for not doing something; To avoid or neglect problems, responsibilities, or commitments.

TL:DR - Blizzard, please don't use Blizzcon as a cop out for Diablo 3 content. Please don't discuss Blizzcon 2016 content at Blizzcon 2017. Do not release the Necromancer a month before Blizzcon 2017, and act like this is a brand new feature, and that we will be happy if that is the only thing you discuss.

At Blizzcon 2016 (November 4-5, 2016), you excited many players with multiple announcements, including the Necromancer, Darkening of Tristram event, Armory, Challenge Modes, and crafting material storage. While this wasn't an expansion that many players wanted, it did bring a little excitement to the game.

On January 4, 2017, two months after Blizzcon, you released Patch 2.4.3, which brought us the Darkening of Tristram event. This was fun for a few days, but once we finished the event, got the pet, and did the few achievements, there wasn't much of an incentive to go back.

On March 21, 2017, five months after Blizzcon, you released Patch 2.5.0, which brought us the Armory and crafting material storage. I don't want to complain about these much needed features, but your player-base has suggested the crafting material UI for well over a year. The fact that it took this long is a little disconcerting. The Armory is a great feature, but it is a little messy. It would have been better for the Armory to actually hold the gear so it doesn't get lost in our already cluttered stash, and it would also free much needed space. But whatever, beggars can't be picky and I will gladly take a feature like this rather than having nothing.

What is left? Well, the big announcements from Blizzcon 2016, the Necromancer and Challenge Modes. You already told us that the Necromancer and Challenge Modes are coming in the second half of 2017, which in Blizzard terms is probably closer to the end of the year. My guess is that it will be released on or about Season 13, which should be in October sometime. This is conveniently scheduled a month before Blizzcon 2017.

Why am I concerned about this?

It gives Blizzard the opportunity to use Blizzcon 2017 to focus on the Necromancer and Challenge Modes, and ignore future plans for the game. They will come out and talk about their most current patch (Necromancer and Challenge Modes), and act like they have solved all of our concerns with the game. Assuming the patch is before Blizzcon 2017, then this will already be old content, and it was announced at the LAST Blizzcon. If the patch is not out by Blizzcon 2017, well, we have an entirely different problem! We want to hear future plans. It is fine if you plan to discuss future Necromancer things, but don't focus on it and assume that all of our concerns have been alleviated.

We want to hear new plans. We don't want to hear more "re-worked" content or additional damage multipliers on gear.

We want new content, or significant changes:

Paragon - This was a fantastic system when it was first implemented. Now it is just a meaningless system where people just dump points into their main stat. You need a system that requires some sort of thought process. Artifacts in WoW seem like they could be implemented as a new Paragon in D3, with some changes.

End Game - Flavor of the Month compositions, which usually consist of two or three classes, with the norm being one dps. You stated at Blizzcon 2016 that bringing a support should NOT equal more damage than bringing a dps. Yet, nothing has been done, and we continue to see the same boring support compositions. What is a "hack and slash" game with a hero that is attempting to stop the demonic invasion of Sanctuary using a floppy noodle as a weapon with no damage skills?

Casual v Competitive - D3 is the ONLY game that doesn't have a competitive scene at Blizzcon, and I understand that this genre makes it difficult to have a competitive atmosphere. However, can we at least get a banner or portrait for making a leaderboard? I don't care if it is only a temporary thing until the next season concludes. Maybe implement titles finally? Let us compete for something other than the number of Forgotten Souls that we can acquire in a season. Give us a reason to try.

Bosses - I think that people forget that D3 bosses have mechanics, because our gear just allows us to steamroll them. Maybe do something that allows bosses to become much more difficult so we can challenge ourselves. How about the equivalent of a GR100 Malthael with an enrage? (this might be considered too WoWish though).

Achievements - There is actually a leaderboard for achievements, however, it is pretty much "who plays the most in the first 2 days." No skill required, which kind of goes against the idea of achievements. You need a way to make it more difficult, without making it a time sink (i.e. Achievement leaderboards in Season 1 and 2...looking at you 10k bounties). The genre kind of limits this, but I have hope that Blizzard can think of something.

So again, please announce something at Blizzcon 2017 other than "oh, we just released the Necromancer and we have solved all of the problems our players have....we now have the greatest game of all time."

Please use Blizzcon as the forum which it is meant to be - a way to reach all of your fans simultaneously and bring us NEW information and plans about upcoming content to our favorite games, not information that was discussed over a year ago. Please don't be a Donald Trump and say "well, we have plans...you'll see...and it will be HUGE." We want to hear something new and exciting at Blizzcon. That is why us nerds get so excited for Blizzcon - the thrill of THAT announcement.

Respectfully,

A huge Diablo fan

YES YES 1000000x YES. You are my hero.
Dont remind me on the last blizzcon...
i will never forget that "event"...

Seriously it was a shame watching that guy looking every 3 sec to the teleprompter so he knows what he had to say...

but to be honest, i think they thought it was awesome and nothing speaks against it to do the same...at least i'm expecting something like this again.

03/22/2017 01:53 PMPosted by PowerCosmic
Blizzcon has historically treated the Diablo franchise like a 2nd class citizen.

Yep. sometimes i think they are ashamed of it.
its as if the OP found their timeline for blizcon hehe
03/23/2017 03:35 AMPosted by Merdrah
So, if they don't have anything new to show then...would you have them not talk about Diablo at all? Some people will still complain and declare the franchise dead. Like they've been doing.

Yes, then sadly they should not talk about Diablo. If they do not have anything new to share then there is no point in getting our hopes up, especially for those people at Blizzcon who really want to hear the "announcement" live. Also, I assume that the developers have to spend a tremendous amount of time preparing for those panels. As the old adage says, "there is no reason to throw good money after bad." The time and money spent on those panels could be spent elsewhere if there is nothing new to share. Give that money to charity.

People have been complaining that the game has been dead for a long time now. However, if the game is truly dead, and we won't be getting an expansion, D4, or some new content (re-worked sets do not count) then Blizzard just needs to come out and tell us. I will cry, but my heart will go on.
09/27/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Nevalistis
Hey everyone,

BlizzCon draws near, and we wanted to give you an update about Diablo’s presence at the show. Last year at BlizzCon, we kicked off Diablo’s 20th anniversary by announcing the old-school cathedral dungeon (if you missed that the first time around, it’s coming back in January) and unveiling Rise of the Necromancer. This year, we want to give you a heads-up that while Diablo will be on the show floor, we won’t be making any new Diablo announcements. There will be a time for that at some point in the future, but that time is not now.

However, in addition to the special BlizzCon Diablo III in-game reward, we’ll also have Diablo panels for attendees and Virtual Ticket holders, and, as always, we look forward to a weekend filled with fun and revelry with the heroes who call Sanctuary home.

Patch 2.6.1 is on the horizon. Looking beyond that, we’re hard at work on the future of Diablo and exploring what’s next for the franchise. Please be patient. Our passion for Sanctuary burns as bright as the High Heavens and as hot as the Burning Hells—and we’re excited to hunker down and get working!

Until next time,
The Diablo Development Team

Haha, call me Mystic Mac.

Oh wait, we did get a panel! "Diablo 3: Visual Effects of the Necromancer."

gg wp. You might as well not have a panel. At this point, it is just taking up space.
Every game needs some down time. It is not about being treated as a 2nd class object. Why do people say this? Welcome to real life. You want your game done quickly? Go take some classes in Game Development and then join a AAA-rated company, who will tell you that good content doesn't grow on trees. It must be well-constructed, thought out and developed much like a movie or TV script. I will say this only once:

TRUST THE PROCESS!

Great games/franchises require time to progress in development. D3 may be nearing the end, but it is not done being developed. There may be a few more surprises in store... Just not this Blizzcon because what the devs are working on is not remotely ready for the community to know, as yet. Remember the postings on the Careers site? Those were for long term development positions that take more than a year to do the kind of work necessary to bring a polished product out.
10/04/2017 10:13 PMPosted by DiabloVern
Every game needs some down time. It is not about being treated as a 2nd class object. Why do people say this? Welcome to real life. You want your game done quickly? Go take some classes in Game Development and then join a AAA-rated company, who will tell you that good content doesn't grow on trees. It must be well-constructed, thought out and developed much like a movie or TV script. I will say this only once:

TRUST THE PROCESS!

Great games/franchises require time to progress in development. D3 may be nearing the end, but it is not done being developed. There may be a few more surprises in store... Just not this Blizzcon because what the devs are working on is not remotely ready for the community to know, as yet. Remember the postings on the Careers site? Those were for long term development positions that take more than a year to do the kind of work necessary to bring a polished product out.

LOL the only process we can trust as far as D3 devs go is that 9/10 changes they make will always suck.
Hi, folks! This thread has been locked; please be mindful of the date on a thread as to not resurrect/bump if it is fairly old. However, if you wish to provide feedback on Blizzcon 2017 + Diablo III, be sure to post it on this thread.

Thank you very much!