10 days to GR 70 unlock

General Discussion
After seeing all the whining in the forums about the "impossible" GR 70 solo primal ancient unlock I thought I'd share my story

I bought diablo 3 on release, it was an horrible grind to get gear for inferno and ended up getting my account banned so I promised myself that I was done with the game. Someone gifted me the base game a while ago but I didn't play much as I didn't want to buy ROS.

Exactly ten days ago I decided to buy a ROS key and started from zero, I was pretty mad that I actually had to play through the story mode once more to unlock adventure mode but I pushed through, leveled a bard to 70 but ended up switching regions to fix latency issues. As I had once more to start from zero on the new region I decided to switch to DH and went through the leveling to 70.

Ten days later I'm paragon level 583 and finished my first GR 70 solo with a nice DH multishot build, all this from a casual player that had no idea how the new stuff in the game was working (kanai cube, legendary gems, rifts..)

I still remember the old days when it took ages to get paragon levels, blizzard really fixed the game and made it actually fun to play without having to do some stupid trading crap.

It's easy enough to level and to get the gear to get started with a decent build. I guess I could have done it in a few days less but I lost time leveling useless gems, filling up the Kanai cube and farming for mats that did not help my build.

Thank you Blizzard for giving us a fun game to play solo or in a public group.
yes, people do this every season. It takes about 3 to 5 days to reach grift 70 if you know what you are doing. but, the problem is that there's a lot of people playing this game that don't know how to progress through the game efficiently.
Exactly, im glad you figured out how to manage the game. Im sure google was used as well, more people should figure out how to google honestly.

But congrats on coming back. P583 is not a bad benchmark for Gr70 on a new character, just rushing to get to it.

When season 10 starts, you'll be doing just fine.
03/27/2017 01:29 PMPosted by Wyrmheart
yes, people do this every season. It takes about 3 to 5 days to reach grift 70 if you know what you are doing. but, the problem is that there's a lot of people playing this game that don't know how to progress through the game efficiently.

So I haven't done a season since Season 3 but plan on doing this upcoming one - What's the most efficient way? I was planning on just plowing through FoM and HoA for massacre bonuses at Master or T1 in adventure mode.

Edit: I mean just for getting to level 70 the quickest, not GR70.

Knowing 'what to do' does not make the stuff you need drop, nor at the quality level to make them worth using either. I spent most the season beating my head against a wall with the T13 5m rift run because none of the set pieces were ancient, none of the relevant weapons were ancient, no gifts dropped regardless, etc, etc.

There's more to it than 'skill' or 'knowledge.' The biggest factor is just dumb luck.

Takes about a day or two...

Some guys in HC unlocked lion hearted back in S8 on Oct 22nd and 23rd...it started Oct 21st. SC had more unlocks on the 22nd by far.

I remember lvling my DH when the rank 1 popped up on the server, I just laughed and pushed on :)
WAIT. WAIT. WAIT.

Isn't the whole point of the "support" argument in favor of Greater Rift (GR) 70 that the game is too easy and that everything gets handed to players? So, from what I gather, GR 70 is so easy that even a novice could do one blindfolded, is that right? But, if it is such a cake walk for even an inexperienced player, then what becomes of the above argument about not wanting to be "handed" things?

If you ask me, players' need to brag contradicts their argument in support of the GR 70 requirement to unlock Primal items. Meanwhile, other players just seem to have this unhealthy and unnatural level of contempt for so-called "casual" players.
03/27/2017 02:00 PMPosted by HelloKitty
WAIT. WAIT. WAIT.

Isn't the whole point of the "support" argument in favor of Greater Rift (GR) 70 that the game is too easy and that everything gets handed to players? So, from what I gather, GR 70 is so easy that even a novice could do one blindfolded, is that right? But, if it is such a cake walk for even an inexperienced player, then what becomes of the above argument about not wanting to be "handed" things?

If you ask me, players' need to brag contradicts their argument in support of the GR 70 requirement to unlock Primal items. Meanwhile, other players just seem to have this unhealthy and unnatural level of contempt for so-called "casual" players.

No one here has said anything about supporting the 70 cap. In fact, Primals are more useful to help you REACH 70 faster not so much to push past it.

We are just saying, 70 is not as impossible as many people make it out to be, especially all those that say "I don't do 70 cuz' I have a life"

The a actual reason why there is a cap is this:

03/27/2017 01:42 PMPosted by LostSoul
Knowing 'what to do' does not make the stuff you need drop, nor at the quality level to make them worth using either.

If luck becomes a greater factor than it already is (for example, random DH rolls a primal Yang's recurve very early in the season and now he's on his way to top 100 because just due to luck)... then a lot of people would feel cheated.

So, I don't know if the cap should be 70, since a lot of casual players are affected by it; but there should certainly be a cap so seasons are more about time investment and skill and not as much about dumb luck. Dumb luck will always play a factor due to the RNG nature of the game, but it should never be the MAIN factor holding your progression.
03/27/2017 01:41 PMPosted by obie1970

So I haven't done a season since Season 3 but plan on doing this upcoming one - What's the most efficient way? I was planning on just plowing through FoM and HoA for massacre bonuses at Master or T1 in adventure mode.

No, just do rifts and bounties because you will need the materials when you get to 70 anyways.

I prefer to do at least 3 rounds of bounties while lvling and then go straight for Kanai's cube as soon as I get a couple of worthy legendaries to extract. The cube gives a considerable powerboost and you should have it ASAP.

maybe you'll take a little longer to lvl because you are getting less exp through bounties, but you are saving the time it will take you to do bounty runs after you reach 70... because you need the mats either way.

Also, killing Diablo at lvl 1... always fun :P
Am I misunderstanding the OPs post and assuming he is stating he cleared GR70 without knowing how the cube and legendary gems work?

I would love to see this DHs gear that you jumped right into a GR70 not knowing much about the game and cleared it. Unless you got fed good gear and had legendary gems power leveled straight from the get go at 70 by a friend, since you can’t join public games until you have done certain GRs which means you would have known how gems and cube works, let’s be real though, it isn't hard to grasp.

GR70 is not a cake walk for many, many people, Especially in HC. So unless you can actually link your freshly geared DH, I am saying most of your story is BS.

Knowing 'what to do' does not make the stuff you need drop, nor at the quality level to make them worth using either. I spent most the season beating my head against a wall with the T13 5m rift run because none of the set pieces were ancient, none of the relevant weapons were ancient, no gifts dropped regardless, etc, etc.

There's more to it than 'skill' or 'knowledge.' The biggest factor is just dumb luck.

This just isn't the case and your argument is pretty much proven moot because the same people prove time and time again they are able to do it each and every season. Every. Single. Season.
03/27/2017 03:02 PMPosted by Shiva

This just isn't the case and your argument is pretty much proven moot because the same people prove time and time again they are able to do it each and every season. Every. Single. Season.

Oh, I'm fully aware. But that doesn't counter my argument *at all*. Because you're completely glossing over *HOW* they do it. And that 'how' makes a world of difference...and is not universally applicable either.
03/27/2017 01:41 PMPosted by obie1970

Yeah 1-70 wd in 2 hours is something I'd much rather do than 3 1/2+ hours rifts. Also to Wyrmheart it takes 3-5 days for a casual, but as fast as possible would be perhaps for this season I wouldn't be surprised if I saw some doing 70 before midnight, but only for WD. WD is best for 1-70 massacre, and in 2 hours, then 2 1/2 hours in you have 6 set, next 4 1/2 hours should be enough for 70 solo if you're lucky, although I would probably be at least 55-65, my luck generally starts the day after I start my overnight spree at start of season :). I get 60s by Para 200 which is quite fast after you get 6 set, so 70 isn't too hard imo.
Great example, rock. It's refreshing to see someone taking the challenge as an opportunity to step up their game instead of whining for the standards to be lowered to their level. More importantly, your experience clearly demonstrate the outrage over that GR70 requirement to unlock primals is completely unwarranted. Hats off to you, sir.

03/27/2017 02:00 PMPosted by HelloKitty
WAIT. WAIT. WAIT.

It's all very relative. For the most competitive folks, GR70 is an irrelevant milestone, if one at all. For someone playing very casually, however, it can be quite an accomplishment. It's a fairly good spot for everyone to reach that unlock, especially considering primals aren't that big of an upgrade over an acceptably well rolled ancient. I like the OP's story because it demonstrates it's very accessible, without being served in a silver platter. More importantly, it exposes how entitled people complaining about that requirement truly are and how wrong they are on their assessment that you have to sacrifice your entire life to reach that point.
03/27/2017 02:57 PMPosted by Dist
Am I misunderstanding the OPs post and assuming he is stating he cleared GR70 without knowing how the cube and legendary gems work?

I would love to see this DHs gear that you jumped right into a GR70 not knowing much about the game and cleared it. Unless you got fed good gear and had legendary gems power leveled straight from the get go at 70 by a friend, since you can’t join public games until you have done certain GRs which means you would have known how gems and cube works, let’s be real though, it isn't hard to grasp.

GR70 is not a cake walk for many, many people, Especially in HC. So unless you can actually link your freshly geared DH, I am saying most of your story is BS.

Seconded
If you can't accomplish GR 70 you don't deserve primals.

I think it's good they made it a requirement. It will make people LEARN HOW TO PLAY and less sitting in town and menus.

They should unlock SUPER PRIMAL ancients for those who accomplish 90+ solo. Now that involves commitment of time and some luck. 70 is a joke
Armored him. He is confused with Barb with DH.

His Kanai's Cube is empty and no legendary gems.

He cleared GR70. That is unbelievable !

(This is NOT his banned account, because his banned account has no ROS, cannot be level 70).
I think it's good they made it a requirement. It will make people LEARN HOW TO COPY ONE OF THE OVERPOWERED BUILDS

fixed that.

03/27/2017 03:32 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
More importantly, your experience clearly demonstrate the outrage over that GR70 requirement to unlock primals is completely unwarranted.

I'm pretty certain the outrage is due to GR 70 still being rough to break for many "play your way"-builds.
It's easy on hardcore too. Really wish people would wake up and realize it's not a challenge on hardcore even more so for softcore.

The person claiming it takes a lot of the right loot to accomplish this feat is dead wrong. He was running T13 for his gear, this is not efficient. Which leads me to believe he is inefficient in other areas as well. Instead of not realizing this he blames it on bad luck......... You should be gearing in greater rifts and with shards. Running regular rifts is just for mats and stones to run more greater rifts. Most hardcore player run T10 for their mats because it's quicker to complete. The faster you can get keys the faster you can gear in greater rifts and more shards you will get.

Every season I'm very consistent with how well I do. Loot has never stopped me because I'm very efficient with how I gear. Yes I've had bad luck, but if you know the game you can easily over come it. Not getting that drop you desperately need? CRAFT CRAFT AND CRAFT SOME more. Don't waste shards on expensive things like weapons or amulets. If that's not working make a new character of the same class just have it power leveled. Why? Because his loot table will be different! Trust me! It will be! It's amazing how certain characters wont have an item drop for me but the second I play on a new char it drops over and over. Characters loot tables are rolled at creation, Blizzard will never tell you this, but I promise it's true.