Chars Vs Toons.

General Discussion
"Toon" was used in Everquest so it didn't originate with WoW. That was for-it's-time semi-realistic, so calling your characters "toons" was ironic.
Ah.. and the lil fascists of the world come out to police your speech, when referencing a fictional construction, in a fantasy setting.

Just... wow.
03/26/2017 10:15 PMPosted by Arawn
Ah.. and the lil fascists of the world come out to police your speech, when referencing a fictional construction, in a fantasy setting.

Just... wow.

Not really. It's just a sub-culture trying to hold on to and reinforce it's identity. Terms, like char, are important identifiers that establish bonds between people. Many people played D2 for years and years and formed a game culture with it's own rules and lingo.

When D3 came along, the D2 culture saw an influx of people from different game cultures with different terms and rules. The D2 crowd just wanted their old culture to remain the way it always has because culture is a big part who we are even if it is just a game.

Change is inevitable though, and a new D3 culture has emerged with new rules and terms, and only a few faint echos remain of the old culture that reminds us of, and connects us to, those who shared in the glory days D2. Char is one of those echos, which is why it's brought up every now and then.
I love and always say "my Char/s"
03/26/2017 10:44 PMPosted by RedCell
03/26/2017 10:15 PMPosted by Arawn

Just... wow.

Not really. It's just a sub-culture trying to hold on to and reinforce it's identity. Terms, like char, are important identifiers that establish bonds between people. Many people played D2 for years and years and formed a game culture with it's own rules and lingo.

When D3 came along, the D2 culture saw an influx of people from different game cultures with different terms and rules. The D2 crowd just wanted their old culture to remain the way it always has because culture is a big part who we are even if it is just a game.

Change is inevitable though, and a new D3 culture has emerged with new rules and terms, and only a few faint echos remain of the old culture that reminds us of, and connects us to, those who shared in the glory days D2. Char is one of those echos, which is why it's brought up every now and then.

So you admit this is merely a !@#$%fest/rantfest over the 'good ol' days' when men were men, and women were too...

It's just.... ffs ppl. I've been around since PONG. PONG!!!!

Ye molehill is no mountain
If your Char/hero in D3 had a sandwich what would he call it?

Hero sandwich?
Submarine sandwich (even though submarines don't exist in D3)
A Hoagie?
A po'boy?
A Grinder? (Yes people in the New England area call them grinders)
Or just....Sandwich.

How do they spell grey/gray in D3?

Is it further or farther?
I prefer the term "Girl Friends" over both of those terms ;)
I don't mind how people refer to their characters in games. The only thing that seem to bother me when reading comments or in chat is when they say "would of..." instead of "would have" or "would've".

People who say "would of..." should run fast at a wall and close their eyes and hope the wall stops them suddenly.

Ps. That WAS a rant.
^ Wish I didn't come back to see the new post, now I have something else to annoy me :D
03/27/2017 02:56 PMPosted by Vojmaster
I don't mind how people refer to their characters in games. The only thing that seem to bother me when reading comments or in chat is when they say "would of..." instead of "would have" or "would've".

People who say "would of..." should run fast at a wall and close their eyes and hope the wall stops them suddenly.

Ps. That WAS a rant.

Add people who incorrectly use "your" in place of "you're" to that list.
Here's another annoyance........ NOONE!
When someone says noone knows or cares, I ask who's noone? Is he on the Asian server?

No one.
Toon reminds me of toontown from Yu Gi Oh, which is dumb because it describes Diablo 3's graphics just fine. Character is way better but probably best reserved for less cartoony games like Diablo 2 and PoE
03/26/2017 09:55 PMPosted by t0lkien
"Toon" was used in Everquest so it didn't originate with WoW. That was for-it's-time semi-realistic, so calling your characters "toons" was ironic.

Indeed. I recall around 2000-2001 my guild leader in EQ calling his character a toon. Woot, IIRC, was also becoming popular around this time.

Toon, Avatar, char, it doesn't matter what you call your player character. If you somehow take offense to it you must be a bitter person.
This big ender lil ender war is brewing up quite nicely methinks
03/26/2017 08:00 AMPosted by Spaceghost
How many ppl hate the word toon specifically when referring to your D3 account. I get it in WOW cuzz they look like toons but ppl use the term in D3 and I personally hate it.

This is not a rant I'm just curious how many ppl feel the same way so feel free to express yourself below by voting.
I could give a flying f--- one way or the other I have better things to think about/worry about
03/27/2017 06:01 PMPosted by MarioDragon
Toon reminds me of toontown from Yu Gi Oh, which is dumb because it describes Diablo 3's graphics just fine. Character is way better but probably best reserved for less cartoony games like Diablo 2 and PoE

This !
03/27/2017 05:41 PMPosted by LifePincher
When someone says noone knows or cares, I ask who's noone? Is he on the Asian server?

No one.
U.S. I know him :-)
03/27/2017 10:51 PMPosted by takeoflives
03/27/2017 05:41 PMPosted by LifePincher

No one.
U.S. I know him :-)

Spoiler alert:
NOONE is the bad guy in the Clint Eastwood film Blood Work
03/26/2017 09:28 AMPosted by DrunkTank
I've always called them chars.

Reason? D1.

http://prnt.sc/eoot83

Char is obviously short for character. Where these kids came up with "toon" is beyond me.

Same.
I grew up playing the pencil and paper fantasy/adventure games. Our stats where recorded on character sheets. They will forever be characters to me.

Initially (here) I adapted to using the word toon, for a very short period of time, just because it seemed to be what everyone else was using. When I got schooled on how bad it was, and how people that used toon hated people that used char I switched to hero to maintain complete neutrality.

No one seems to be offended by the use of hero to describe the characters that we play.