[request] enable pet pickup mats

General Discussion
Now that mats belong in the mats tab, please make this happen!

Let pet pickup not just gold, but all mats, deathbreaths, etc.
Won't happen.

Thanks for playing though.

/thread
Dev's have already said they did not want this. That it would make the players feel like they were more disconnected.

Many years ago a company made a product that you could pour into a pan and make a pancake, without adding anything, it was quick, easy, and tasted great. It flopped terribly. Then a few years later they released the exact same product, but required the consumer to add an egg.

This product is still on the shelves today.

People need to feel connected to their product in some way, shape, or form. Allowing a player to run around and auto pick up everything except gear would cause some additional % of the player base to lose interest in the game. Maybe not you, but some people would leave, even if they did not make the correlation as to why.
And yet, those same devs made greater rifts, where the only things you can pickup (orbs) are auto-pickup.
Those same devs released the game with gold auto-pickup (which is one of the few things almost universally considered an improvement upon D2) and later added gold pet pickup on top of it.
Those same devs gave us vacuum pickup for mats and gems.
Those same devs gave us the armory so that we waste less time switching build.
Those same devs chose to depart from the tetris inventory management (by making all items either 1x1 or 1x2 squares) so that we waste less time organizing it.
Those same devs gave us bulk gem crafting, so that dozens of the same gem can be crafted at once with a single progress bar.
Those same devs gave us buttons to salvage all normal/magical/rare items at once.

Diablo 3 is a game about killing demons as fast as possible and crafting/finding the gear your need, not picking up materials.

Picking up death breath is a task that requires nothing but time. There is no decision to do, no skill nor luck involved, no player engagment at all. The only scenario where I'd consider not picking up death breaths is when trying to beat a neph rift under x minutes for seasonal achievements.
03/29/2017 08:00 AMPosted by Thorgor

Diablo 3 is a game about killing demons as fast as possible and crafting/finding the gear your need, not picking up materials.

Who died and gave you creative control over what Diablo 3 is or isn't supposed to be?
If you want a dumbed down version of the game then go play something else.

May I suggest just a button that says "WIN" or do you want the button to press itself too?
03/29/2017 08:43 AMPosted by Spaceghost
Who died and gave you creative control over what Diablo 3 is or isn't supposed to be?

I don't need to have creative control to state the obvious. Maybe you missed it, but I listed a lot of QoL changes that support my statement.

If you want a dumbed down version of the game then go play something else.

Yeah, because having to click on mats add so much depth to the game. The game lost so much depth when the implemented the vacuum pickup for mats and gems, and would be so much better without gold auto-pickup.

May I suggest just a button that says "WIN" or do you want the button to press itself too?

Ok, sure. Asking for a QoL feature so that I can play the game more instead of wasting time picking up mats is exactly the same as asking for a feature that let me not play the game.
May I suggest you try to actually debate instead of building a straw man?
I would like to see a Pet Handler in town.
Then get "pet trick" recipe drops that train your pet to pick up different mats (health, whites, blues, yellows, DBs, Rift Orbs, etc)
Take recipe to Handler for "training".
All pets can still pick up gold, but through the Handler, (and if you have found and turned in recipe) you can "teach" your pet to pick up 1 additional drop item.
Once a "trick" was turned in to the Handler it is there for good.
Pets can be retrained for different tricks the Handler knows.

Just a thought.
03/29/2017 02:30 AMPosted by Seek
Now that mats belong in the mats tab, please make this happen!

Let pet pickup not just gold, but all mats, deathbreaths, etc.

When they were part of your inventory, this didn't make sense but now that they are stored like gold, it does. I don't think it should be the pets picking them up, but we should be able to just run over the mat to collect it. Extra clicks are not necessary for this collection now.
I don't need to have creative control to state the obvious. Maybe you missed it, but I listed a lot of QoL changes that support my statement.

See that's where you're wrong. In your perspective it's obvious. But in other peoples perspective (most importantly the devs) its not. So you can say voice OPINION but don't try to feed it to people as if it were a fact by making such statements.

Yeah, because having to click on mats add so much depth to the game. The game lost so much depth when the implemented the vacuum pickup for mats and gems, and would be so much better without gold auto-pickup.

There is a difference between QoL change and a full on handicap mode. I think the vacuum pickup was a good balanced change between having to click 8,000 different mats after killing 1 pack of monsters to just 1 click per mat type.

03/29/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Thorgor
Ok, sure. Asking for a QoL feature so that I can play the game more instead of wasting time picking up mats is exactly the same as asking for a feature that let me not play the game.May I suggest you try to actually debate instead of building a straw man?

Yes, exactly! Ask for a QoL of life changes that are reasonable and don't take away from the game experience.

Looting is a game experience that is integral to countless games and will never go away.
Picking up mats is totally useless...100% agree with op.
03/29/2017 10:17 AMPosted by Charming
Then get "pet trick" recipe drops that train your pet to pick up different mats (health, whites, blues, yellows, DBs, Rift Orbs, etc)
All pets can still pick up gold, but through the Handler, (and if you have found and turned in recipe) you can "teach" your pet to pick up 1 additional drop item.

Just a thought.

Like this thought however perhaps each pet has its own specific ability to locate items or predefined goals. As in 1 or 2 can pickup gold, another for Orbs (as in rifts), another for Death Breaths, another for 'suggesting' a quicker route to the stairs(for speed runs and\or timed seasonal conquests), another that 'senses' closeness of elites, pylons and\or shrines or high density mob packs (etc etc).

Each can fulfill a situational need\niche.
Dont be so lazy dude, lol I like picking up Death breaths when they drop like 3 and i can click them to pick it up its like "aaaaah yeah 3 more DB´s" , please the game is already stereotypical, do you really only want to click the nephalem stone and then just smash monsters without even a need to click things to pick them up
? nah
03/29/2017 07:14 AMPosted by Kindread
People need to feel connected to their product in some way, shape, or form. Allowing a player to run around and auto pick up everything except gear would cause some additional % of the player base to lose interest in the game. Maybe not you, but some people would leave, even if they did not make the correlation as to why.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me at all.

I do not need to feel connected to my character by picking up mats. It's very tedious and annoying. The only things I want to pick up are gear, yet I constantly have to stop and pick up mats because I am constantly low on death's breath and veiled crystals.

I would feel more connected to my character if I could spend less time worrying about this tedious measure. I would LOVE if my pets would snag all of my mats. It would be so extremely appreciated and an excellent quality of life addition to the game.

03/29/2017 11:18 AMPosted by Fury
do you really only want to click the nephalem stone and then just smash monsters without even a need to click things to pick them up

Gear should never be picked up by pets, but it would be extremely convenient if pets could grab my mats. Stopping to constantly click these things is not adding anything to the game. It's tedious and annoying, because I really need these materials, but I hate constantly hiccuping through and circling around a death's breath trying to pick them up. How is that fun?
03/29/2017 11:14 AMPosted by CyberDoc
03/29/2017 10:17 AMPosted by Charming

Just a thought.

Like this thought however perhaps each pet has its own specific ability to locate items or predefined goals. As in 1 or 2 can pickup gold, another for Orbs (as in rifts), another for Death Breaths, another for 'suggesting' a quicker route to the stairs(for speed runs and\or timed seasonal conquests), another that 'senses' closeness of elites, pylons and\or shrines or high density mob packs (etc etc).

Each can fulfill a situational need\niche.

Nice.
I went with the learnable skill because there are pets that I prefer to use cosmetically, I dont want to be forced to use a specific pet, but be able to use a pet I want but switch out the skill as I need.