Diablo I and Diablo II HD Remasters

Games & Technology
03/28/2017 10:54 AMPosted by Groot
03/28/2017 10:37 AMPosted by Christian777

Honestly, I find this whole remastering thing to be sort of lame in that there are so many games better than sc, diablo, diablo 2 now.

1) "better" depends on personal taste.. many new games are worse and in my opinion even D3 and Sc2* are worse than their previous games...
2) You dont have to buy it

*Talking only about Stacraft SP...i don't care about MP, but even that part is worse*

Thanks Mister Obvious
03/28/2017 11:25 AMPosted by PowerCosmic
Every week for the past 5 years, someone begs Blizz for a D1&2 HD. The only sure thing you get is continued disappointment. Won't happen. Move along.....

People said the same thing in Sc2 forums over and over and over again, and what do they get now ? Right...

@Christian

Np...... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sometimes it's best to enshrine things eternally in your memory. There will be a large majority of the gaming community that didn't exist when these games did, and will not appreciate their strokes of genius. Your friends, that never played these games, may want to play them now. But when they do play them, they'll be comparing them to the most recent incarnation, or peers such as Grim Dawn and PoE.

I don't have stupid friends, they know what they will get, it's retrogaming in the end, you can't expect or pretend too much from it. I did the same in the past with Final Fantasy games, i played X first, on the PS2, and the VII-IX after, that were for the Ps1, and i still enjoyed them even if they were older in every way.
Would love to see a D1 remaster but I ain't holding my breath.
03/28/2017 11:14 AMPosted by Groot
Well if you consider that d3 is not so much popular anymore after a few years compared to d2, it could change blizzard plans .

I think they had bigger long term plans for d3, but after the end of the AH....Well, let's say at least i expect d4 much sooner now.

Consider that D2 didn't have much competition also. Diablo 3 is still the most played arpg probably, the fandom, even if full of whiners is still big, the forums are full, the game is full of players, there are even enough youtubers with regular weekly feeds about the game, and lately there was a nice burst of news, events, announcements and good patches for D3, so i don't really see why, Blizzard have to worry about this game so much as you want to point out. Tell me how many games, or especially arpgs you know that are still very popular and played by everyone after 5 years from the release?
D3 is doing well, it's just a different time, a time in which each and every kid has internet and likes to complain about everything. It's not perfect (as D2 till now isn't) there are still things that could be done to get it better, but it's not a bad, or boring or broken game.
Maybe only the people who played it too much, constantly, since the release are the bored ones.
03/28/2017 11:51 AMPosted by KyubiVal
Sometimes it's best to enshrine things eternally in your memory. There will be a large majority of the gaming community that didn't exist when these games did, and will not appreciate their strokes of genius. Your friends, that never played these games, may want to play them now. But when they do play them, they'll be comparing them to the most recent incarnation, or peers such as Grim Dawn and PoE.

I don't have stupid friends, they know what they will get, it's retrogaming in the end, you can't expect or pretend too much from it. I did the same in the past with Final Fantasy games, i played X first, on the PS2, and the VII-IX after, that were for the Ps1, and i still enjoyed them even if they were older in every way.

Never said your friends were stupid by any means. I'm just stating something that I've seen time and time again is all. I've tried to introduce friends that loved the newest Zelda games back to the one that started it all, or those that loved Fallout 4 to the original Fallout. It rarely ended well as they weren't comparing the new games to the originals to see how they hold up to the ideals and gameplay of the original, they were comparing the originals to the newest, seeing how they hold up to ideals and gameplay compared to the newest incarnations.

If your friends can look past that newest versions and see the treasure troves in these classics, all the power to them! I truly hope they can see the games for what they are and not for what they are compared to where we are now.

But if you want to see a lot of perturbed children that are very familiar with the nintendo crew, introduce them to Super Mario Bros, Metroid, and other classics and trust me, they want to get as far away as possible. I've seen adults that grew up with the N64 and PS1/PS2 do the same thing compared to the true classics, no one wants to do much with them unless they grew up with it, for nostalgia.
Never said your friends were stupid by any means. I'm just stating something that I've seen time and time again is all. I've tried to introduce friends that loved the newest Zelda games back to the one that started it all, or those that loved Fallout 4 to the original Fallout. It rarely ended well as they weren't comparing the new games to the originals to see how they hold up to the ideals and gameplay of the original, they were comparing the originals to the newest, seeing how they hold up to ideals and gameplay compared to the newest incarnations.

If your friends can look past that newest versions and see the treasure troves in these classics, all the power to them! I truly hope they can see the games for what they are and not for what they are compared to where we are now.

But if you want to see a lot of perturbed children that are very familiar with the nintendo crew, introduce them to Super Mario Bros, Metroid, and other classics and trust me, they want to get as far away as possible. I've seen adults that grew up with the N64 and PS1/PS2 do the same thing compared to the true classics, no one wants to do much with them unless they grew up with it, for nostalgia.

Well, that means your friends did the wrong/stupid comparisons. We can't limit ourselves because someone can't understand what a remaster and retrogaming is. You can't compare them with new games, that's lacking common sense and logic. You can only see where the new games got their inspiration, ideas, how they evolved from those old games. Who doesn't get this, is not worthy of consideration. And i hope Blizzard don't consider this kind of people when doing a remaster.
You'd be surprised how many people do what I described without really meaning to. It's human nature, to compare what we know with what are freshly experiencing. It doesn't always work out proper, but it is what it is.

The thing is, Blizzard is a business. They'll consider just what will sell and make them profit. If the Starcraft Remaster does well, we might just see a remaster of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

But that will most likely rely on the reception Starcraft gets from players other than those that played it when it first came out, which will probably be a relatively minor portion of the playerbase that will purchase it.

Starcraft is an amazing game, but just how well it'll sell in today's market will be difficult to tell with certainty.
A D2 remaster only needs a handful of changes:

- shared stash
- expanded stash
- repec option
- separate charm inventory
- town portal button
- remove the stamina bar

That's about it. Gameplay wise, it's great.
03/28/2017 12:52 PMPosted by Tohki
A D2 remaster only needs a handful of changes:

- shared stash
- expanded stash
- repec option
- separate charm inventory
- town portal button
- remove the stamina bar

That's about it. Gameplay wise, it's great.

you have 1 respec in d2. should be enough i think.
There's all those subjective changes I was on about the other day..
Rather just leave D2 as is and not touch anything.
There is really no need to bastardize a classic just for the hell of it.
Blizzard would really have to rewrite the D2 core as there are working dupe scripts even now that the d2 item shops use.

This is most likely the one reason Blizzard has not begun this project yet.
Seriously, it is not just about HD Graphics here.

The packet's (w/ ability to watch and send on your own ) and wait/busy state's are the problem.

It needs to be completely rewritten from core up!

Every year since D2 went live, $100,000+ per month is made to this very day by people using bots and item shops.
I would like D3 graphics so a D2/D1 as D3 content.

But the skill system ... it needs some major improvements in every Diablo game.
The D2 physics particle engine needs rework. Massive advancements in science and quantum computing theory have been established since 2001.
Things I hated about D2.

P2W

Duping

All the SPAM!!!!! All the bot spammers and the inability to turn off/ignore PMs made trying to play almost impossible at times. I just remember my screen filled with green text from all directions.

Also people would friend me without my consent and I would have to deal with all the friend chat. I remember having to get downright rude with people to convince them to remove me from there friend list.

PVP. I loved pvp. But the things wrong with pvp were.
-NK gold thieves.
-People who used MH to see your gear and say BRB gonna get my pvp char who happens to be the best class/build to kill you.
-People 30 lvls higher then you going hostile.
-Desyncing.
-The Auradin trade stack bug.
-Sorbing.
-Gate Sitting
-Towning
-Excesive poting.
-Wells.

The things right with pvp were.
It was pretty balanced as far as not being able to 1 shot/be 1 shotted.
LLD
Being able to pvp on most maps with mobs.

Not being able to trade annis and torches. WTH!!! I heard so many horror stories about drop trade scams that almost never even attempted to trade torches because of that.

No shared stash.

/rant
03/28/2017 01:07 PMPosted by Noz
you have 1 respec in d2. should be enough i think

The last time I played, there were no respecs.
03/28/2017 03:20 PMPosted by Zemini
I would like D3 graphics so a D2/D1 as D3 content.

But the skill system ... it needs some major improvements in every Diablo game.

Well, that would be a matter to discuss in designing Diablo 4, not for the remaster

New ability slots is not D2, and far from a QoL change. You're changing the game too much and the same with new merc items.

Maybe you are right, but in D2 we had so many abilities, and could only use 1 or max 2, if we sacrificed our main weapon attack. So i would like to have just more options to do damage, instead of only one key, where you scroll down or up with you mouse reel through abilities, it's slow and frustrating. At least this is what i rememeber.

you've gotta be kidding me. you were a complete idiot then. you could almost map any key to any skill.
but it would be nice if they where making a Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 Hd remake.
03/28/2017 11:25 AMPosted by PowerCosmic
Every week for the past 5 years, someone begs Blizz for a D1&2 HD. The only sure thing you get is continued disappointment. Won't happen. Move along.....

Blitz want to make money.
And by remaster D1&D2 will make money.
Simple as it sounds.There are many of old gamers out there who want to buy those games andthey will do it a.s.a.p.
If you dont like to see those games HD this not means that all ppl are thinking your way.
The only problem is D3 online community if D1-D2 will be remastered.D3 Community will be ...smaller...