How close is UE to shadow?

Demon Hunter
I built a decent shadow set to quickly clear my gr70, but just don't enjoy shadow for farming t13/gr60.

I didnt play last season so Ive never done grenades.

How does UE yangs compare to shadow?

UE grenades?

Nats grenades?
Actually Shadow is better for T13 farming if your UE MS is not 1 shooting everything. So meaning if you dont have 2.5M dps I would still use shadow, but if you got too much damage you may have to nerf your damage.
As to how close they are so far none have pushed that far yet. But on PTR UE still have a few edge on it. I know shadow is capable of 98, but as to push more that remains to be seen. Thou if may not be the best solo build, I'm pretty certain it is the best group set. N6 nades not as good it can go high 80' maybe low 90's lot more work thou.
UE6 is far superior for farming due to its huge AoE. Even with marginal gear you can do 60s in around 3 minutes.

Shadow is great for quick farming of 75+

UE slows down at those levels with equivalent paragon.
04/08/2017 12:55 PMPosted by CyLaNt
UE6 is far superior for farming due to its huge AoE. Even with marginal gear you can do 60s in around 3 minutes.

Shadow is great for quick farming of 75+

UE slows down at those levels with equivalent paragon.

So I should focus on continuing to upgrade my shadow set for when I decide to push GRs, but going UE for T13 wont slow me down. Good to know, thanks.
I guess this would be a nice place to ask if anyone could point me to a good UE build. I've gather pretty much all the required pieces. I've tried it last night but I was struggling on T11 and it was not even remotely fast.

And just to be clear, UE is the multishot build with Yang's / Dead man legacy right ? Genuine question here because since I've started S10, my aim was the S6 impale build which is starting to look good so I did not really cared of other things until now. I want something that just AoE the map so I can stack on those damn breaths :P

Big thanks!
04/09/2017 10:58 AMPosted by Vilebrequin
UE is the multishot build with Yang's / Dead man legacy right ?
Not necessarily. UE just refers to the "Unhallowed Essence" set.
For example since last season, there is a nice UE grenade build http://www.diablofans.com/builds/84886-2-4-3-explosive-generator-ue-grenades-94 which is pretty fun and easy to play.
But for the purpose of this thread, yeah, you want ms ue dh to farm torments with. T11 is much more efficient to farm on, until you can 1-3 shot the mobs on t13.

Yang, dml
Get +multishot and ad wherever you can
Get enough cdr for perma vengeance.
Wear fnr, cube avarice band
Dawn in weapon cube
Cindy in armor cube
Zeis, trapped, and boon
Goldwrap

I run t11 in 3 mins with no deaths to farm keys and mats. This is way faster and more efficient than shadow.
Thanks quotenfrau
You can run shadow fine for quick torment/low GR farming (sub 3 minutes, regardless of rift - damage is still on point for speed group t11's, 12/13 is barely slower solo). You just need to use avarice/hoarder, change a passive to movespeed after vault, use warzechain wrists (cube nems) and swap runes on companion to ferret. It is absurdly fast... like actually difficult to control fast.
04/08/2017 12:54 PMPosted by Niqueka
but if you got too much damage you may have to nerf your damage.

A little maybe - just switch skills to hatred boosts - dark heart -> seeth, bats, shadow->prep and add bloodlust passive instead of a dps passive if required.

I only play shadow - (P920 or so and around 2.7M sheet dps) with a few tweaks to hatred management its very fast for T13 rifts and bounties. No problems even when speed boosting people on T6 - just switch skills over to hatred regen skills as required (prep, seeth, bat) and use bloodlust passive hatred is never a problem even if you on shot everything.

Also keeping different variations (farm, group, solo, etc) is easy now with the armory.
My personal experience:

Sub GR40: LoN Strafe is fastest since everything dies in 1 hit and you can move quickly while killing everything. Useful for quickly leveling up gems at the start and not spending too much gold on empowering.

GR40-65: UE Multishot absolutely trashes everything in this range (at least my setup does with P1300+).

GR66-75: Shadow Impale - Ricochet variant with Focus/Restraint and Seethe (most things die too fast to impale more than once, so hatred management can be a problem).

GR75+: Shadow Impale - Overpenetration variant (the "meta" build with Aquila, Compass/Pledge, etc). This is my go-to set for all high GR applications. I was blessed with a godly primal Traveler's Pledge (cold%, chc, chd, socket) and now just need a good ancient/primal cold HPS to complete it.

UE Grenades fits in around GR75-85 for me but I think Shadow Impale is a bit faster. Also, M6 Cluster Bombs is around GR75-80 for me as well in terms of competitive efficiency. Lastly, I don't like LoN FoK (or S2/M2 FoK) style of play.

DISCLAIMER: the GR recommendations I provided were MY own experience with those builds using my gear and paragon points (results may vary) and also as a comparison as to which build is the most efficient in each range of difficulty as measured by an estimated average clear time. For reference, the Shadow Impale (cold) build that I mentioned cleared GR80 in 5:45.
04/09/2017 01:42 PMPosted by dejuvenate
But for the purpose of this thread, yeah, you want ms ue dh to farm torments with. T11 is much more efficient to farm on, until you can 1-3 shot the mobs on t13.

Yang, dml
Get +multishot and ad wherever you can
Get enough cdr for perma vengeance.
Wear fnr, cube avarice band
Dawn in weapon cube
Cindy in armor cube
Zeis, trapped, and boon
Goldwrap

I run t11 in 3 mins with no deaths to farm keys and mats. This is way faster and more efficient than shadow.

In no way is UE faster than a perma vault S6 DH that one shots everything. TXIII, and I just speed through the map. Also don't need to wear goldwrap/avarice/etc.
I personally don't think that UE in any variant is close to S6 in any way. Granted I have a few more paragons then most people, but here are where each set it sitting doing GRs:
UE Multishot: GR 89 - Solo
UE Gen Nades: GR 88 - Solo
UE Gen Nades: GR 100 - Group* Not many willing to accept this build on a team
S6 Impale Solo: GR96+ (GR95 with Cold, GR96 with Lightning, GR 94 with Fire)
S6 Impale Group: GR110 - Cold* Haven't pushed too frequently, but can go way higher
Nats Nades: Don't even try it, will piss you off and wish for the old days of Nats

I personally think S6 is way more powerful for solo and definitely groups. This is evident by all the bandwagon peeps throwing together builds all of a sudden.

@OP,
With your current gear you are probably looking at low 80s as a cap. Once you get all ancient and augment your gear, you will obviously get stronger and tougher. UE is still great for speed farming (bounties and sub GR65) and cheevo chasing on seasons, it is fast and powerful, but not worth investing in if you plan on pushing GRs. Now once you have a nice S6 set, it can also be used for farming, simply use Seethe instead of Dark Heart for Vengeance and you can spam Impale all day long and speed farm. I have actually switched my bounty setup to S6, works great on T13 and never have issues with bosses as the bounty. The only drawback to using S6 for farming is when it comes to the "kill XXX in 60 seconds" kinda bounties, it does fall short there a bit, where UE will excel. Now doing the GR60 with S6 will suck, it does not do well when the enemies die so quick. Results may vary, but for me S6 does not work well in sub 70s, but that is where MS starts to drop off for speed farming, again enemies die to quick.
To do a follow up, I've wasted several hours optimizing my UE set, trying all kinds of combinations of gear, cube, gems, skills and whatnots and the result is not as good as expected.

I know that my UE set is not as great (relatively speaking here) as my S6 set but I need to downgrade to T9-T10 and I'm waaaaaay squisher. I'm not even sure it's faster to be honest. I mean it could be me because I'm less experienced with a MS build but I don't see the short terms benefits of focusing on UE anymore. With my current setup, I run through TXIII like a breeze. I thought that UE would be faster given the massive AoE but I'm struggling too much.

In the end, I get more profit (gear/breaths/exp) on TXIII with S6 than on T9-10 with UE.

Maybe I'll give it another try when my S6 will be better and/or if I get bored of it. Like Dracarys said, it's hard to beat the perma-vault and close-to invincibility of S6. Pretty versatile too just by swapping Dark Heart rune with Seethe. Also, never been a fan of this whole gold gathering build with avarice/goldwrap/hoarder and stuff.
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Ive been out of town and unable to play for a few days, but from what I've read here and other threads I dont think it's worth my time targetting an ancient yangs just for the sake of "easier" T13 farming. I suppose if I got an ancient yangs to drop I would consider running it just because I find it to have better QoL.

Stupid question...if I'm running GRs to level my gems(before they're 60+) is there any reason to run my GRs above 55-60. Ive found that range to be my sweet spot in terms of speed vs survivability, but I also had a wasted 6th skill last time I played. Didnt even know FoK/armor rune/passive existed, so that may allow me to more easily clear higher GRs without feeling so squishy. Ive also been debating switching to cold rune to cube frostburns once I find a decent cold dmg holy pt shot. I have a near perfect cold dmg travelers pledge banked and waiting :)
Just level them at the highest most efficient level you can.....if you can kill 75s quick then do empowered 75s from lvl 1 to 65. You get more drops and more EXP at the cost of a little gold.
04/10/2017 08:56 AMPosted by Jolts
Ive also been debating switching to cold rune to cube frostburns once I find a decent cold dmg holy pt shot.

I did a quick check on your gear and it's very similar to mine. I was wondering how well do you survive with under 400k life and no resist gems? Also, I don't know what you plan to do by going the frost route but are you not worried what will happen to your tankiness if you remove the cuirass from the cube? I mean, yeah Frostburn are freezing mobs but what about the ranged one and the elites immune to freeze and such ?

With my current setup, I cleared GR 70 without too much trouble but I doubt that I'll be able to push way further without upgrades/more paragons.
I do feel squishy at times for sure. I figured adding in fok with the passive would make up for losing aquila, while adding dmg and the freeze. Not to mention, I think the pierce would help kill more white mobs.
04/10/2017 10:45 AMPosted by Jolts
I do feel squishy at times for sure. I figured adding in fok with the passive would make up for losing aquila, while adding dmg and the freeze. Not to mention, I think the pierce would help kill more white mobs.

Interesting! If you ever try it, would you mind posting your results here please? It got me curious for sure ;)
I would farm keys at T11 over T13 in seasons with UE. You should be able to clear in 2 to 3 minutes solo with the AoE. You want to one shot trash or AoE them dead while you are killing Elites with a two shot. Once you get to about Paragon 900, you can do T13 efficiently. T11 will get you keys fast with a good chance of getting 3 of them. If you take 5 minutes to clear T13, you are missing out on keys and bloodshard farming efficiency. Other than getting Seasonal Journey acheivements, I don't at all recommend either T10 or T12. You lose out on keys with T10 and T12 doesn't offer enough benefit in shards or keys over T11.

I hate Shadows. It's just not fun. I would rather go M6.