Greater Rift 118 Hydra Wiz Clear (No Conduit)

Wizard
Was tinkering around with Hydra in 4P last night, got some footage of a 118 clear. So people can get a better understanding of how to play wizard at higher tiers.

Take notice that I'm not dropping Hydras during the actual clear at any point, as I don't want to be interfering with any of my WD's Area Damage to kill the elites, nor causing any unwanted lag. This is pretty important. Not only that, but once you reach a certain point, the wizard will be doing very little damage and they're better off playing the support role and helping barb with globes, generating density and crowd controlling.

I made a mistake or two on the RG, but other then that it went pretty smooth.
Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8VxT9ZjnfdRpPjDnaSZEIw
Nice. Why do you jump back to the rg to melee while still in archon?
Yes I totally agree with no hydras till maybe a yellow or blue can be killed in one more Hydra cycle. If there's no more trash and it's worth killing. I just cast bubble on WD.

Any thoughts on running cold or arcane Element bracers?
03/31/2017 09:34 AMPosted by Thanos
Nice. Why do you jump back to the rg to melee while still in archon?

Stricken stacking with left click on mouse. Usually after the overlapping of Archon is done or when Hydras disappear.
Ahh thanks man. I'm going to try this out. Been working on my wiz. Never played one before but this looks like fun.
Thanos, Tee is correct. it has been proved by Tinne that the Stricke attacks faster, so it builds more Stricken stacks.
I think stricke coeff 0.5, Wave coeff 0.25.
If the RG allows for hugs, we should use Stricken on dead time.

Original post:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20749858601#post-2
Yep, both are correct. I usually wait until my Tal's stacks wear off and my first overlap. By then you're doing very little damage if any to the RG and building stricken for the next rotation is much more valuable.

I try to remember to refresh a bubble on the RG before I get out of Archon so I have one when I'm building stricken. More attack speed, faster stricken building. Sometimes, this is hard to remember with so much going on.

Something important to note, while you're in Slow time with Archon bubble up, you will get 2x the amount of attack speed from Slow time.
Man...soo much to remember lol.
03/31/2017 10:42 AMPosted by Thanos
Man...soo much to remember lol.
Yeah, when your heart is pounding and you're down to the wire on kill time and get a bad RG, you're going to make a TON of mistakes. BE PREPARED.
03/31/2017 10:06 AMPosted by Dragonfire
it has been proved by Tinne that the Stricke attacks faster, so it builds more Stricken stacks.

I didn't prove that, sorry to disappoint. I showed that Vyr6 stacks faster with the punch than the beam. It stands to reason that Stricken is the same, but I've never seen anyone demonstrate that directly.
03/31/2017 10:06 AMPosted by Dragonfire
I think stricke coeff 0.5, Wave coeff 0.25.
If the RG allows for hugs, we should use Stricken on dead time.

Stricken applies 100% to the first enemy hit as long as the spell attempted has a proc coefficient of > 0%:

"Procs that occur on on hit of an ability and ignore proc coefficients, unless they are 0%, and are limited to one proc per cast (e.g. Bane of the Stricken)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3o8stk/update_an_indepth_guide_to_snapshotting/
Hydras shouldn't be cast at max range, no?
@Tinne: I thought these findings were connected with Stricken stacking.

Cratic here says that DW stacks stricken slower:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20749858601#post-4

Isn't this right?
03/31/2017 04:50 PMPosted by grippgoat
Hydras shouldn't be cast at max range, no?

I think the actual hydra damage (from it's attack, not Manald proc) for Zei's is based on the distance between the hydra and the target. BUT the Manald proc isn't direct damage from the hydra. It seems like for the Manald procs from hydra, it is based on the distance between your character and the target, regardless of where the hydra is.

And since the damage from the hydra attack is negligible and all we really care about is the damage from the Manald procs, you can just drop them wherever makes sense and then just position yourself at max range.
03/31/2017 10:17 PMPosted by Dragonfire
@Tinne: I thought these findings were connected with Stricken stacking.

Yeah. I think Cratic actually directly tested it with Stricken, but I never did. But I just tested it with Vyr6 stacks (since those are much easier to work with than Stricken stacks, since Vyr6 has an actual counter) and then made the assumption that the same thing happened with Stricken.