PTR people stopped playing already.

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
04/17/2017 01:24 AMPosted by Hebalon
04/16/2017 02:11 PMPosted by Darth
anyone tried them yet? I've been looking forward to them for a while now, actually had an idea similar- also have a couple ideas for them but depending on how they actually go down it could just end up being ~set dungeons.. which most people tend to find more tedious than 'fun'

Yes, I tried them. My first impression was not exactly overwhelming.

At its current state, it is a new game mode (campaign, adventure, challenge), where you enter a small room. Items, skills and paragon points are fixed. You can "train" a bit in the two corners of the room, where some dummy monsters spawn, so you can check your multi and single target skills on them.

http://dh-deluxe.de/files/images/ptr2.6/ChallengeRifts-Intro.jpg

The current challenge is an incomplete UE-generator build in a GR34 from a player with paragon 199, legendary gems below 25 and some useless cube items (probably it was a run early in the season).

http://dh-deluxe.de/files/images/ptr2.6/ChallengeRift-Build.jpg

You have to beat the original time of 6-7 minutes, which is quite easy in this case. If you beat the original time, you can go back to Adventure mode and get your reward in the form of a bounty chest with 8 legendary mats of each act and some other crafting mats.

http://dh-deluxe.de/files/images/ptr2.6/ChallengeRift-Belohnung.jpg

You can play the challenge again to improve your personal record and get a higher ranking, but you get the reward only once. You can't tune the original build (like swapping passive skills or paragon points), and you can't increase the difficulty of the original gRift. Thus, the only thing you can do is race against the timer. Not very satisfying for me.

The challenge is planned to change somewhat like once a week. There will be no "top" builds where someone was pushing high on the ranking, but more builds like from "play your way".

I'm looking forward to see the next challenges, as the current one is not really a good example for "play your way", but more like "play a standard build with errors".

Edit: they seem to be working on it right now. Challenged Rifts are not available right now in the beta. There is an error on the game mode selection page and after that the Challenged Rifts are greyed out.

Thank you for the informative post I appreciate it.. Well seems like it sounds better than set dungeons but not nearly as good as it could be.

Skelos - I totally agree.. This is where the disconnect from the players and the developers lies generally. If the point of the challenge rifts was to have a level playing field and test the skill and creativity of the player

You would do it like this...

Rotates what the current equipment/class/howmuchparagon/gems which is the same for everyone, this keeps it a level playing field. Blizzard needs to remember that a huge part of this game and a huge part of appeal of Diablo 3 originally was the multitude of ways to play each class. I remember a big selling point was like 'over one trillion build combinations.' Therefore skills should be completely left to the player. Honestly I don't even see how there is a counter argument to this but I will explain why this is almost the same thing they are doing now but actually more towards the original philosophy behind it.

*Equipment already more or less dictates most of the skill slots you will use, e.g. If you have a Fleshrake (Monk) equipped with a Crystal Fist, and 4 pieces of Raiment, we already know you're going to be using Dashing Strike to deal the damage but by allowing the player to set up how he generates spirit or which rune of dashing strike to use this (perhaps even allow them to decide what they want in the cube-- should I go Cindercoat/Prides Fall [subquestion do I have a 25 gizzard] for RCR or should I use laws of Seph because they gave me an obisidian ring and maybe I dont wanna use fire-- This would allow for build creativity, I mean sure there will be some instances where a meta is figured out pretty quickly and the more experience a player has with that class, that is where your advantage will lie, but that would be the case CR's are currently anyway.

- CRs were supposed to be made as a way to give a level playing field for people who don't have the time to get enormous amounts of paragon or mostly ancient/primal gear which is necessary to compete (at least in top 10) on the Greater Rift Tier leaderboards, while still allowing a different, new, entertaining way to provide a break for those who play the game religiously and sometimes just don't feel like the meta grind (this would be what I was looking for)

But it certainly DOES NOT mean that we want to forfeit what we learned about the game so far just for a test to see who is better at an arcade style game with locked skills and growth. I feel like if people liked that, they probably wouldn't have minded Trials so much.

Another point with that is if you set a player up all the way, they aren't really necessarily going to learn anything about the class in general. If you're only having one build per week for challenge rift why not make it an opportunity for a player to experience as many ways to play that individual skill as possible, the disadvantages and advantages to each rune, and if say you really wanted one week of everyone using Essence Burn just simply grey out the other runes, but at least let us choose how to buff that damage, via passives etc.

I really, really want challenge rifts to be good, and I have so many more ideas on how you could make them not only fun but even marketable to bring back older players long gone. I assume I am not the devs favorite player, I am often times quite critical of their work, and don't give them enough credit when its due (the urgency to post tends to work when negative things are happening) but if there was one post in my nearly 3k posts that I hope they could take into consideration it would be this. And remember Devs, I obviously like this game, I play it evvvveery day.

Just think about how many people complained when massive Skill Damage was added on items, we like to play it our way, based off what you give us to work with, not just your way.

Oh and MissCheetah, lil help here.. you have any idea why all of a sudden my middle mouse button isn't working to scroll up and down a webpage ; P ? Just sorta happened right now.

-Darth#1885 11643 Hours on America alone. None of them automated.
04/18/2017 01:04 PMPosted by Darth
Oh and MissCheetah, lil help here.. you have any idea why all of a sudden my middle mouse button isn't working to scroll up and down a webpage ; P ? Just sorta happened right now.

Nope and it randomly happened to me the other day too. I did not think much of it. Interesting you had it happen too. I think I restarted my browser and it fixed it. Are you also using Firefox?
You would do it like this...
Yep, I had this conversation with some other people regarding CRs scenarios before and this is the more logical approach, which requires more skill in the form of theorycrafting knowledge from the player.

But still in their current form the CRs present a unique possibility for a competitive mode in D3. And this will fail if their current implementation stays as it is.

I have no access to the beta forums, but the users who are testing 2.6 atm should turn the attention of the devs in that direction - you can NOT build a long lasting competition around a mode, which requires low skill.

Playing on even field does not guarantee an interesting competition. If we can type only "A" and "B" in order to write words with these letters it is an even field and we can build a competition around it. But if we can use the whole alphabet thus our whole 10 fingers to type words it is a higher skill even playing field, which creates more interesting competition.

What the devs are introducing with the current implementation of CRs is a low skill competitive mode, because of abundant ehp players have at low GRs and the high damage output relative to enemies health. There is not much skill in doing 3-4 minutes rifts, in which you can not die. You can build a competition around it, but it will be a low skill one. The same effect would have to build a competition around who will complete some bounty first.

If the reason for such CRs implementation is more people to try them out, I think they should scrap the whole mode and put something else instead. Put some special weekly bounties and don't bother making LBs. If however the devs want a real challenge mode then the CRs should be aimed to create a competition around the top players. And right now, their current implementation is bad enough in order this to fail.
04/18/2017 01:10 PMPosted by MissCheetah

Nope and it randomly happened to me the other day too. I did not think much of it. Interesting you had it happen too. I think I restarted my browser and it fixed it. Are you also using Firefox?

Weird that I randomly come across this comment in a random D3 thread but...

This also happened to me just the other day, but only in one tab and on Chrome not firefox. It only happened in one tab (a twitter tab), mouse wheel wouldn't scroll no matter what I did (in that tab only, only way to scroll was to left click and drag on the scroll bar). Google failed to explain it. Closing the tab and re-opening the exact same page fixed it. /shrug
04/18/2017 02:50 PMPosted by Borg

This also happened to me just the other day, but only in one tab and on Chrome not firefox. It only happened in one tab (a twitter tab), mouse wheel wouldn't scroll no matter what I did (in that tab only, only way to scroll was to left click and drag on the scroll bar). Google failed to explain it. Closing the tab and re-opening the exact same page fixed it. /shrug

Exactly what happened here but I don't remember if it was Twitter or something else. Other tabs worked fine. Two browsers doing it...so do we blame Microsoft updates recently? Easy to fix with a restart...just odd.
I just got in beta but the necro is not up atm. I have plenty of work to do once he is. Not a streamer, I just hope the other people in Beta will actually test it out.
I am not a streamer, and I got access day 1. I've played almost every day for several hours and have found zero bugs, and only a few minor grammatical errors in tool tips. I will continue playing until the beta is over.
I think they chose people by the different systems there running, plus of course there fav streamers or u tubers. And maybe people who use the forum a lot. Its certainly not by how much you play because i play everyday at least 6 hours min
04/18/2017 02:50 PMPosted by Borg

Holy crap guys. This is creepy lol. I have had the same thing only in the last week or so. Very weird. I'm on chrome. I thought my mouse was going bad.
Well, I guess the mouse issue is not specific to us. Wonder if Microsoft did something.
04/18/2017 05:41 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Well, I guess the mouse issue is not specific to us. Wonder if Microsoft did something.

Win10?
04/18/2017 05:05 PMPosted by D3excess
I think they chose people by the different systems there running, plus of course there fav streamers or u tubers. And maybe people who use the forum a lot. Its certainly not by how much you play because i play everyday at least 6 hours min

A couple friends of mine who haven't played the game since the first week of season start got the beta invite. And another friend who hasn't played the game in 2 years got the invite, so I can vouche for that time played prerequisite being BS.
I got an invite from day 1, maybe this will help.

I am not a streamer

I have played every season (have all stash tabs)

play mostly solo with paragon at 1070

play on an entry level gaming laptop

live in hawaii 8)

The gameplay is pretty polished and have reported only one issue. The forum is fairly active too.
04/16/2017 08:52 PMPosted by TheFapHand
just curious becuase i have played since vanilla launch unto the present. I play more than most not as much as some and was hoping for an invitation.
You are not qualified. They know you're going to by the game. They have no need to sway you.
04/18/2017 06:31 PMPosted by memc2
live in hawaii 8)

Great; finally we all have a reason to move to hawaii. :)
04/18/2017 05:41 PMPosted by MissCheetah

(Chrome) Yeah, it just went away.. I didnt even check if it was particular to a certain site but, apparently it fixed itself (for now). I had left my browser up for a few hours, got distracted actually playing.

04/18/2017 02:36 PMPosted by Skelos
you can NOT build a long lasting competition around a mode, which requires low skill.

Truth but lets remember theres a huge gap between regulars and the majority of the playerbase - some of the reason it gets hostile in the forums-- so I agree, but I would just reform that to ..

~you can NOT build a long lasting competition around a mode, in which knowledge and perfection of skills gives no favorability

lol I hope thats not coming off too pompous I'm simply trying to say its gotta be fun for the new guy as well as fun for us.

(on the op note)

I chuckled the other day reading an article I believe it was from DFANS i dunno i got it on my phone.. and it was just like talking about the insane damage that the Necro does--

check out Quin69 with his Blah blah blah screenshot

check out bludshedd

check out Leviathans 2 quadrillion hit!

but Desolacer *one of my fav players btw* got a 48 quadrillion hit here..

oh yeah its the first article on dfans right now.. okay granted the last two definitely still play and I dunno much about bludshedd but Quin, granted hes had a huge impact on the community, has been playing wow... It just seemed like they were name dropping, and all the people I wouldve expected to get an invite did, even if they arent really relevant in the game today.
i played the necro for a few days with LON setup. it was fun for a bit, but when the game is centered on class-specific loot and there's no class-specific loot, there isn't much point to playing
04/18/2017 09:14 PMPosted by Darth
its gotta be fun for the new guy as well as fun for us.
It won't be much fun if you can play the class you want once per 2 months. Right now at beta solo CRs offer 1 class/build per week.
04/19/2017 12:21 AMPosted by Skelos
04/18/2017 09:14 PMPosted by Darth
its gotta be fun for the new guy as well as fun for us.
It won't be much fun if you can play the class you want once per 2 months. Right now at beta solo CRs offer 1 class/build per week.

I actually imagined it that way or one for each class tbh.. I am curious though, I main Hardcore, is there even a hardcore mode for this -- if so how does it work if you die, cause its not like its your gear etc.
i want 2 gobble up acti-blizzie$ goodies XD no h8 to blizi! i buy all there game + microsale! biger fanboi den u! throw $ at actiblizz or u r not kewl . best gam ever is d3 raeper of zholes. wyatt or j plz invite fer nekro. i do anyting. i trad my goodies 4 urs cx pliss blis$. i wil evin tel on my daddy. (sorry 4 the england not 2 good.)