My Poor Monk

Monk
I made a monk for the first time this season (10) and I came to the realization that she is really squishy. I have no problems with GR 50s but 65 and up she dies all the time. I'm using Esoteric too and the bracers that reduce damage taken seem to do nothing.
I mean when getting the succubus mob type I can't even bypass the floor without dying. I try to run around to stay alive but usually I die anyway but if I stop moving to put EP on mobs I die right away.
Anyway, I am of the mind that mob damage should be toned down and that's my opinion.
I don't play monk, but I've been in regular 4 person rifts and they seem pretty good to me, but that's only torment 13 which is only Greater Rift 60. Maybe it's just a matter of itemization and skill selection, and a full set of ancients with augments.
Doesn't look like you're using Epiphany - Desert Shroud?

Edit: Also, Passive - Harmony
04/11/2017 04:42 PMPosted by ten
Epiphany - Desert Shroud

Doesn't that have a longish cooldown? It would help for part of the rift, but I want to not be squishy the entire rift.
Yes, but with Beacon of Yar, diamond in Helm, Paragon, and CDR on a couple gear, you don't have too much downtime. I don't think there's ever been a time I ran a Monk build without Epiphany and Harmony.
u need to decide which set u gona use... u should try inna's i did solo90 with inna's. u must use harmony in ur passive skills, in active skills u must use epiphany-desert shroud, and u must use unity ring in cube and other on ur follower. monk with no unity blows. and ur offensive points keep putting in CD (cooldown) to 10%, dps monk is cooldown and dmg reduction
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nephalem-11376/hero/75383619
Look to build the Inna/Shen's monk. Solid, durable and a damage dealer....this one...http://www.diablofans.com/builds/69943-quin69-gr83-innas-gen-monk-solo
04/11/2017 04:56 PMPosted by brute
Look to build the Inna/Shen's monk. Solid, durable and a damage dealer....this one...http://www.diablofans.com/builds/69943-quin69-gr83-innas-gen-monk-solo

it is a nice build too... but palm is a huge area dmg skill ..and i say huge i minimize in a high Grift, i just see a lot of bodies flying over my monk.
I just tried your build brute and it's still not tanky enough. Still dying. Your attempts to help are in vain. Bwahahahaha...

The only solution is a nerf to mob's damage, in my opinion.
04/11/2017 06:25 PMPosted by Joltacks
I just tried your build brute and it's still not tanky enough. Still dying. Your attempts to help are in vain. Bwahahahaha...

The Monk has the best damage mitigation in the game. Learn to use it :)
I think most in the Top10 (80+) are running the GenMonk build. It can be a bit squishy but it does takes practice, skill and to get your timings down. I personally like the LTK and WoL builds.
Without unity ring ,enough cdr, fighting nightmare+firechain elite n knock back type elite + knock back affix. U will hate playing melee monk. That's is !@#$ing squishy.
04/11/2017 07:11 PMPosted by Lezard
Without unity ring ,enough cdr, fighting nightmare+firechain elite n knock back type elite + knock back affix. U will hate playing melee monk. That's is !@#$ing squishy.

+Frozen. It is extremely annoying. But I doubt there's a class without super annoying hard counters?

They have a lot of methods of adding survivability, you just need to look at ALL the skills/runes. i.e. Mantra of Salvation/Agility Rune = 35% Dodge, and don't overlook Blinding Flash, Inner Sanctuary and Serenity (very important abilities) and they get better and better with CDR (and in-geom).
I used to love monk . After I play safer at s8 Lon build. Oh sh1t....she is less annoying by those affix . Very easy at gr8 70 run for gears hunting n exp gaining. Btw am solo mostly . So dun compare to speed farm in groups at gr90 .hahahaha
An do really dun like monk playing styles Only can survive with unity ring when solo....So annoying.at least for me
04/11/2017 04:36 PMPosted by Joltacks
I made a monk for the first time this season (10) and I came to the realization that she is really squishy. I have no problems with GR 50s but 65 and up she dies all the time. I'm using Esoteric too and the bracers that reduce damage taken seem to do nothing.
I mean when getting the succubus mob type I can't even bypass the floor without dying. I try to run around to stay alive but usually I die anyway but if I stop moving to put EP on mobs I die right away.
Anyway, I am of the mind that mob damage should be toned down and that's my opinion.
I feel your pain My monk was really squishy too. I had real problems with the gr60's then I switch to a shenlong generator monk and it made a HUGE difference. Give it a shot I bet it helps tons, here is the build.(the seasonal Candy Crush Monk)
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ChaosLeech-1406/hero/84256405
04/11/2017 06:25 PMPosted by Joltacks

Sorry you are having issues Joltacks. With my setup, I can easily complete grift 75 without dying. CDR with Epiphany (Desert Shroud) is the best way to continually mitigate all of the affixes that would fry a monk without it. Cold, poison, fire, etc. when Epiphany is active, it's a tanky monk. I gotta' say, of all my character classes, this monk is my tankiest...makes my barb feel fragile.

Good luck on finding the right build! Check out Diablofans for more options...
I played monk this season (first time like you) and I did GR 77 in harcore. So here is my contribution:

1. Most important, Monks have good mobility, you can evade most of damage and don't need to tank it. Dash is one the most incredible skills in the game. In Epiphany you can jump from one place to another. Seven-Sided Strike can evade explosions like frozen and molten.

2. Serenity is awesome.

3. Stask 2 damage reductions. There are more itens, including set bonus, that give you DR.

4. Secondary stats with resist is strong in monk, that put 40% of them to all resist. In a ancient with 200 in a resist you have 80 to all resist. Use the passive.

5. Inna set give you a lot of sustain. 2 allies regenerating life + aura of regeneration.