From lightning to cold S6

Demon Hunter
So I recently made the switch from lightning to cold and I like it better. I think these runes really come down to preference because clearly both these runes are viable for top end pushing.

I switched runes cuz I would get
Into situations where mobs would gather around the elite and I couldn't get a hit them. Once a switched it was no longer an issue.
04/13/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Kritt
So I recently made the switch from lightning to cold and I like it better. I think these runes really come down to preference because clearly both these runes are viable for top end pushing.

Into situations where mobs would gather around the elite and I couldn't get a hit them. Once a switched it was no longer an issue.

Out of curiosity how is it for hatred regen? Thought I heard lighting had advantage in hatred generation. I could be mistaken though.
It's easier w lit to maintain hatred and upkeep on aquila. W a bit of practice cold has no issues maintaining upkeep. Plus u can cube frostburns for high pushes, group runs. I use lit for farming and cold for grs
I managed to get a sidegrade karleis today that boosted me from 11 hatres return to 13 and decided to give cold another shot(with frostburn). It feels stronger and more consistent, especially when you get those big packs.

I'm just unsure which bracers to use once I start pushing. I used APDs with my original 70, but have been using nemesis since. Once I decide to go 80+ is nemesis still viable or will I need the dmg from strongarms.
I'd like to try cold, but my Lightning gear is ways beyond it, don't think it can't be too much of change to justify wrong affixes.

(Talking about losing Impale% on Quiver and Light% on Ammy)
Strongarms...deeps for the win. Nem for speeds
I also had to switch to cold. Took PE instead of BotP. Didn't compare solo, just some publics.
Probably weaker given the pure numbers - but feels better.
Can't say if it is better. What I really like is that your APS goes up a lot. I feels more fluid above 3 APS. Lightning felt so slow, if you are used to Yang or Hunters.
04/13/2017 09:25 AMPosted by Dukus
04/13/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Kritt

Out of curiosity how is it for hatred regen? Thought I heard lighting had advantage in hatred generation. I could be mistaken though.

You won't have problems in high Gr but if you're gem upgrading and doing stuff lower than t13 or gr60 than you'll see the hatred issues
04/13/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Jolts
I managed to get a sidegrade karleis today that boosted me from 11 hatres return to 13 and decided to give cold another shot(with frostburn). It feels stronger and more consistent, especially when you get those big packs.

I'm just unsure which bracers to use once I start pushing. I used APDs with my original 70, but have been using nemesis since. Once I decide to go 80+ is nemesis still viable or will I need the dmg from strongarms.

I was unsure about bracers too. So I tested, anything GR84 and above I switched to strongarms. I was playing with Nem for a lil but the dam. From strongarms is totally needed at those lvls
04/13/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Jolts

I used nems for 85 but switched to strongarm for 86 on seasons. Will likely Continue using strongarms going higher. Will be back to nems doing anything 80 or lower.

I did 90 with both cold and lightning on NS using nems. Would likely have been better of with strongarms for that, but didn't try since I only spent a few hours playing NS anyways. I did like cold slightly more than lightning from that few hours of playing S6 on NS.
Update: I completed Gr 87 with 30 secs left. With cold rune and strongarms. Took me about 42-3 token tries so not much fishing. I'm sticking with cold from now on.
I tried cold for a while but later ended up with much better lightning gear. In the end I did season GR90 earlier in the week using my lightning setup with a pain enhancer. (which I used only with the cold build before).

It feels to me that it was the PE that made the difference - not cold vs lightning.
How do people have problem hitting elites....You force walk right into them turn kill. Vault out.. Make them spread Vault in force walk Target win...

I used to think Cold was better, but Lighting by far is esp with hatred starved Points.
04/13/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Thanos
Strongarms...deeps for the win. Nem for speeds

The rank 1 impale DH used Nems. Strongarms is good but being able to consistently jump from elite to elite with pylons and total uptime on botp is also advantageous, especially in a good rift with a lot of pylons.

I think it's very situational as to which one is better.
hmmm reading all these comments are interesting. I am thinking of switching from lightning to cold in the near future. I just found a decent ancient 20% cold HPS + 20% strongarm brancers with max crit rolled. Sadly not ancient though.

The bigger change I am thinking of making is switching from BoP to Pain Enhancer. Anything special to know about using Pain Enhancer?
With PE you will focus more on progression from opportunistic killing trash - so you need density and an occulus ring circle. You will favor area damage / heavy hits over attack speed on gear. Due to the high APS gain in density from PE - you get much more healing from Life on Hit.
The downside - you need much more time on the final RG at higher levels (90+). Stray elite without trash will also take alot longer to kill - so drag them with you to next trash.

The exact play-style will vary a little depending if you are cold or lightning due to pierce vs bounce. Its basically round up trash, get it all bleeding, then use the massive DPS boost to kill the elites and trash. Always fight with some nearby trash (you will want this regardless to proc oculus ring on you follower from killing trash mobs).

If you come across a load of trash it is worth killing some of them. Get them all bleeding, get one dead (for power circle) then just thin them out for as long as you still get the huge dps boost from PE - dont waste time killing them all.

You often get a choice between standing in power circle and standing in the density for the APS boost - you eventually get used to which works best in any given fight.
Which gem is being replaced by the PE?
04/15/2017 04:52 PMPosted by Jolts
Which gem is being replaced by the PE?

BotP is replaced.

PE is actually really good in groups, because there's always a lot of grouped mobs. Tested this extensively yesterday. Didn't care too much when trying it solo.
Yes PE is great in groups. There also often other S6 dhs (which mostly use lightning) - so you have 2 CoE elements which helps a little bit for faster killing elites/bosses as it works asynchronously which is often a little bit faster.

What is also very good that you can cube frost burns in groups with monk/barb. The freeze helps also other players. For rifts/bounties - cold is bad IMO unless you want to manage it. I always run out of hatred there (but my Karlei has only 11). So I use lightning for speeds/farm/bounties.
I tried he same switched but felt like my Hatred regen was suffering so just reverted the change back to Ricochet. Cold is good for long corridors and spacious maps, not so good on tight caves and rooms IMHO.