HC Boss fights. . .

Hardcore
In this thread I would like to get the community opinions on which Bosses are the most challenging for us folks here in HC.

I'm not talking High GR Rift guardians. . .because all of them are tough if you are playing in a high enough level.

I mean Bosses (T13 level gameplay) like Belial, Maltheal, Adria, Diablo, etc.

Lately I have been getting surprised by all of them in some way or another.

To me. . .Urzael, Malthael, and Belial have been kinda making me think twice before I click 'Accept' for the fight.

I mean- I still go in guns blazing, but I always double-check my stuff before I jump in.

Who gets under your skin?
Maltheal is really the only boss I'm scared of. The others, while they can potentially one shot you, still give you breathing room if you're able to pick up your game. With Mal's second phase, I've been killed before, before I even had time to react to my death proc going off.

But far scarier than Mal is the Act 2 Keywarden. I've almost died several times when the guy was off my screen, and I couldn't see the reflect damage coming back at me. And, unless they changed it, unlike other reflect, where it's only a percentage, this does the amount of damage you do to it. I've proc'd several times before on lower difficulties where I could 2-3 shot him, because I attacked at the very wrong time.
04/16/2017 11:35 AMPosted by BehindTimes
Maltheal is really the only boss I'm scared of. The others, while they can potentially one shot you, still give you breathing room if you're able to pick up your game. With Mal's second phase, I've been killed before, before I even had time to react to my death proc going off.

But far scarier than Mal is the Act 2 Keywarden. I've almost died several times when the guy was off my screen, and I couldn't see the reflect damage coming back at me. And, unless they changed it, unlike other reflect, where it's only a percentage, this does the amount of damage you do to it. I've proc'd several times before on lower difficulties where I could 2-3 shot him, because I attacked at the very wrong time.

It is because it is reflecting your projectIle and not the dmg. Sand dwellers do the same thing (stonesinger)
I fear no boss hence my name is "Sir rip a lot" aka "can I get a plvl...again" aka "Yes woman! I am crying over a video game!"

Malthael is the one I can't stand.
The bosses are not challenging.
The GR bosses on the other hand... especially Perdition and Orlash can be quite troublesome. I've lost many DHs in the past to perdition.
However, perdition isn't that scary with the impale DH, whereas Orlash can still be a WhiteOwl. =(
04/16/2017 11:35 AMPosted by BehindTimes
Maltheal is really the only boss I'm scared of.

^ this. Maaaaybbeeeee Diablo if under geared. But even with good gear a couple quick hits from Mal could be GG. And has anyone noticed he attacks you right after cut scenes? Like.... last time I fought him I am hitting vault before cut scene ends and right after he has already tped to me but since I vault I take no damage. Pretty sure I have proc'd a time or two from that when playing WD. Which being proc'd during Mal fight is extremely uncomfortable and really gets the blood pumping. Honestly my favorite boss fight in the game but at same time least favorite when just trying to do bounties quickly.
Mal makes me a little nervous... I would describe him as my #2.

I dis-like Urz even more. I always have a teeny bit of lag in his second phase, and the falling boards + Urz's flamethrower are a bad time to lag.
Mal makes me a little nervous... I would describe him as my #2.

I dis-like Urz even more. I always have a teeny bit of lag in his second phase, and the falling boards + Urz's flamethrower are a bad time to lag.
04/17/2017 09:25 AMPosted by Dukus
has anyone noticed he attacks you right after cut scenes? Like.... last time I fought him I am hitting vault before cut scene ends and right after he has already tped to me but since I vault I take no damage. Pretty sure I have proc'd a time or two from that when playing WD.
Malthael hits like a girl. Like that girl in lord of the rings who killed the ringwraith.
Belial is probably the most annoying one. None of them feel particularly challenging...just drawn out and laborious.

Boss AI would be fun, something to counter our skills and tailor it against our builds. They are BOSSES after all.

I have no beef w Uzrael, he killed Bryan that one time ...

Truth is, none of the bosses scare me in the way an aggroed 5-pack of elites with complimentary affixes do. Frozen, vortex, big butt, smile, poison, arcane ella enchanted...that's where the real fight is
People are forgetting Adria. If you get popped by a few of her "time of the month" clots, there's nowhere to run, they are everywhere! The worst thing you can do is pop Stead Charge and run through the field pad grenades! Of course that's plevel 300 and under.
That uber siegebreaker always scares me when he grabs me in the air. He always holds long enough to make all defensive buffs go away, but never 1-shots for some reason
The boss AI in this game is not particularly challenging.

The only point at which they become challenging is when the GR level gets sufficiently high, high enough that your defenses mean relatively little, if anything at all. D3 has catered to the casual audience for some time now and it shows in the game mechanics, or lack of them. It's a good part of the reason why this game has such poor player retention. It's not fun for more than a week for a lot of players, if that. What makes a game fun is the challenge it presents, at least to some players. This game in its current form doesn't really offer that, sadly.

Until they understand that they need to change their perspective and go back to what made D2 great and what makes a game like Path of Exile (PoE) great is the challenge they give to their players, then they will continue to have this problem. They also need to once again understand that not every challenge in a game needs to be done by 100% of its player base. PoE has pretty good player retention throughout most of its leagues in spite of that fact that most of the players have never done most of the real end game content, and many of them never will. But, it is enough that it's there, and because it is so challenging and because only a small fraction of the player base can do those things, it adds another layer of intrigue and brings viewers to the table when those difficult challenges are attempted.

My evidence for the above is most perfectly supported by the video that brought enormous attention to the game: Kripparrian and Krippi's HC D3 pre-nerf Inferno clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDA7GxAtXM

They were the only 2 (or perhaps 3, I think there was someone else who might have done it before the nerf) who did it, but it was exciting to watch even though most couldn't accomplish it. Because it was difficult. They need to bring this back.

...sorry, that was more than I intended to write, but turned into a small stream of consciousness.
Mal - I don't even bother with act 5 if I see him on my bounty list. The risk/reward is way skewed.
Greed hits like a girl. A very, very, very big girl. Specially, when you get too greedy...
Maltheal can be a danger and uber diablo. If not careful rakanoth too. T13 or higher
Urz and Malth are the only ones my Saders don't like to trifle with under P800. After that they are fine.

I have a very young DH now (Anette Olzon), which I've only made to get the GR55 with 6 different sets conquest. (UE 55 is done). Hope to get the remaining Shadow pieces soon. Impale looks like a fun build.