Starting A DH

Demon Hunter
So I just got this game a few days ago. I've been trying each class in the campaign to see which I like better.

I like the idea of the DH. I've read that DH is mostly a ranged glass cannon, which is fine, I like those kind of classes. But so far I haven't' seen the cannon part of the class. It just feels like it's mostly made out of glass while not providing a whole lot of damage. Granted I have not gotten far into the campaign yet. Only up to the skeleton king.

So the question is, is it only like that early on, is there some level threshold that I need to get past where DH gets some awesome powers that make it do a lot of damage.

I've played the wizard and the witch doctor already past the first town. And both of those classes can dish out some serious damage, and have way better suvivability then the DH. So I'm hoping the DH gets a lot more damagy later on, cause I really really want to like this class gameplaywise as much as I like it themewise
Welcome to D3.
May you have many happy hours enjoying the game. Although you may see many complaints on this forum, most people are well over 1000 hours in.

Gameplay changes significantly as you level due to unlocked skills and legendary equipment, particularly sets.

You can view "final" builds on youtube, diablofans.com and icy-veins.com.

A lot of the builds for a class play differently depending on the equipment used.

A UE Multi-shot build, one of my particular favorites, is one of the speedier rift runners and one I would class as a glass-cannon.

As for the transition point, the game really starts at level 70, where you start building up your equipment. Remember to keep your low-level legendaries with orange "effects" to store in Kanai's cube.
Your still too early on the game and you have not even reach 70 and equip sets. Sure wiz is OP on solo compared to all class, but I find DH more fun to play vs wiz. Earlier in the game DH are glass cannon, but as we progressed to different patch you will know were not that glassy anymore. So when you get to 70 finish campaign mode move up to adventure mode and play in seasons. This is where everyone is and when you join a community, have questions about build and class someone will be able to help you.
I don't mean to highjack the thread but I have a question for Derplord:

How is that Grenade build performing ? I was going through your toons and started looking at the gear and it got me interested. I have all this gear lying around in my stash and was about to just salvage it. I'm a big fan of Impale but I wanted to try either UE multishot or UE grenades.

I gave UE multishot a go this weekend and felt waaaay too squishy. I'm so used to going balls out in the fray with my Impale build that I forgot how to "properly" play a DH like it was back in the days.

Thanks!
04/18/2017 06:00 AMPosted by Vilebrequin

How is that Grenade build performing ? I was going through your toons and started looking at the gear and it got me interested. I have all this gear lying around in my stash and was about to just salvage it. I'm a big fan of Impale but I wanted to try either UE multishot or UE grenades.

I gave UE multishot a go this weekend and felt waaaay too squishy. I'm so used to going balls out in the fray with my Impale build that I forgot how to "properly" play a DH like it was back in the days.

Thanks!

UE Ms is more of a speed build than pushing, however it can push thru the low 90's with lots of gr fishing. I myself still keep a ms build mainly because impale is just to OP for lower gr and rifts below t13. OP as in I kill anything too fast to get a hatred return, so that is the reason why i use UE MS. But if you have more than 2.3million dps on UE ms that would be idea for speed farm, since your 1 or 2 shot everything dead. Also the game play on MS so totally different than impale. Impale is a melee build, MS is a range build, if you want a similar gamepaly to impale go with UE grenade generator build. So on UE MS you play using stutter steps and vault to avoid damage, on impale you press shadow power to trigger elusive so you dont move to max out damage. With that said it can be disorienting to switch from impale to MS, since your so spoiled and you want everything to move that fast on your gameplay.

[/quote]

UE Grenades is pretty tanky since you generally are standing in the middle of enemies.

My balefire caster should really be a Fortress ballista and I can feel the extra pain from this lack.

Because you are using a primary skill continually, the Wraps of clarity is 100% active.

Numbing traps is also 100% active from bane of the trapped and grenades.

I have 100% uptime for vengeance so dark heart is also up and Boar Companion helps.

I used this build to clear GR70, switching out the Bane of the Powerful for a level 60 Esoteric.

Too go higher, I would have to start augmenting gear. Impale is much easier to take higher.

You can only try it to see if you like the gameplay.

btw, UE Multi-shot is a blast to play.

Thanks!

04/18/2017 02:45 PMPosted by Derplord

UE Grenades is pretty tanky since you generally are standing in the middle of enemies.

My balefire caster should really be a Fortress ballista and I can feel the extra pain from this lack.

Because you are using a primary skill continually, the Wraps of clarity is 100% active.

Numbing traps is also 100% active from bane of the trapped and grenades.

I have 100% uptime for vengeance so dark heart is also up and Boar Companion helps.

I used this build to clear GR70, switching out the Bane of the Powerful for a level 60 Esoteric.

Too go higher, I would have to start augmenting gear. Impale is much easier to take higher.

You can only try it to see if you like the gameplay.

btw, UE Multi-shot is a blast to play.

My 2 cents:

Lose fan of knives for sentry/polar you are already tanky and polar sentry slows which feeds into Cull the Weak. Drop Awareness for Steady Aim, you shouldn't be dying with a self buff of over ~300mil toughness. Lose companion for Marked for Death/contagion. (It is nice to see one mouse click turn into a screen full of 20% increased damage on mobs.)

There is 40% increase for you via debuffing enemies and an additional 20% increase if nothing is within 10 yards of you. Now all you need (besides the ballista) is a kick !@# HPS (me too).

Bonus: I suggest ditch the naglering and go with wyrdward on follower.

EDIT: I see you use BoTT and BoTP....you might consider Gogok and BoTS.