Primal myth

General Discussion
Since they came out and after about 2000+ drops I have yet to see one. Anyone else out there have the same luck I do?
05/05/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Twosaints
Since they came out and after about 2000+ drops I have yet to see one. Anyone else out there have the same luck I do?

Depends. Most people will question if you cleared a GR 70 solo or not in the game mode your playing (IE: non season softcore, non-season hardcore, season softcore, season hardcore) to enable them to drop, rather then assume your luck is simply that bad.

It's rather hard to imagine the dice falling that badly for you.
Like any other slot machine it is all about the independent pull of the handle. Personally I've seen one primal in non season since that is only mode I've cleared a GR70 so far. I know 2000 sounds like a lot but in reality when the probably is as low as it currently is for primal drops I'd say you need another 10x that many to really say anything about the drop rates.
Meh...I have seen quiet a few in my Seasonal DH. I only have one that is useful and that was a crafted rare, cubed upgrade into Primal Kareli.
05/05/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Twosaints
Since they came out and after about 2000+ drops I have yet to see one. Anyone else out there have the same luck I do?


Another possibility is that primal ancients have dropped for you. I have a friend I play with occasionally who claims to have never gotten a primal. Yet when he identified his items he clearly did get a primal. It was a garbage item that he probably didn't bother to even look at before dis-assembling. The problem with the drop rate is that it's so low it's very likely to get primals on items that are garbage.
05/05/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Twosaints
Since they came out and after about 2000+ drops I have yet to see one. Anyone else out there have the same luck I do?

Assuming your 2000 drops were all after you completed a GR70, yes, approximatively 2% of the playerbase should have the same bad luck or worse. That's probably thousands of players.

To put it into perspective, it's a little more lickely than losing a coin flip 6 times in a row. Rare, but it happens.
05/05/2017 02:17 PMPosted by Thorgor
05/05/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Twosaints
Since they came out and after about 2000+ drops I have yet to see one. Anyone else out there have the same luck I do?

Assuming your 2000 drops were all after you completed a GR70, yes, approximatively 2% of the playerbase should have the same bad luck or worse. That's probably thousands of players.

To put it into perspective, it's a little more lickely than losing a coin flip 6 times in a row. Rare, but it happens.

Which just goes to show how bad the Primal drop rate is.

Also as Reslin mentioned, it's easy to not notice one if it's an item you don't care about. The very first primal that dropped for me was a Skurge, so I broke it before I noticed it was a primal. No real loss, but because they lack a different color beam or some other indicator beyond the low key 'red' background on their item card... yeah.
İ ve half stash primal so far including karlei, soj. And others are not bad either like frostburn and magefist. So i can say keep grinding, gl.
Don't feel bad, I have 7 primals and not wearing a one. Can't bring myself to break them down. Got a friend that had one primal and it was something he uses. Luck of the draw. Will you be happy if you finally get a primal and it is a Blackthorne Duncraig Cross? My primals have been follower bait. Still grinding tho
I've gotten about a dozen since season 10 started. Only 2 are useable tho.
I did a level 70 solo about 2 months ago during Blizzard's rollback because of that error exploit. I play some every day. After about 2 weeks or so, I wrote in the forums asking if anyone thought I was screwed because of the rollback. I got both yes/no responses. So I did another level 70. I played for around 3 weeks and never saw a primal. Now today, I did a torment 12 rift and BANG, 2 primals at once! Not great, but at least they exist!! I seriously doubt the validity of Blizzards RNG.
05/05/2017 10:43 PMPosted by Sorain
05/05/2017 02:17 PMPosted by Thorgor
...
Assuming your 2000 drops were all after you completed a GR70, yes, approximatively 2% of the playerbase should have the same bad luck or worse. That's probably thousands of players.

To put it into perspective, it's a little more lickely than losing a coin flip 6 times in a row. Rare, but it happens.

Which just goes to show how bad the Primal drop rate is.


Sorry bro, not everyone is meant to have Primals.
05/05/2017 02:17 PMPosted by Thorgor
Assuming your 2000 drops were all after you completed a GR70, yes, approximatively 2% of the playerbase should have the same bad luck or worse. That's probably thousands of players.

It took me a while to find the first one aswel. Could have been 2000 aswel but i havent been counting. But even then, if regular ancients already have a 10% drop rate and 1% of those can be primal then thats an effective 0.1% drop chance (dont know if this is the actual number but it just sounds like a possible rate). And with those chances it can take a while before you get one:
At 1000 chances: 1-(0.999^1000=0.3676)=0.6324 = 63% chance to find at least 1
At 2000 chances: 1-(0.999^2000=0.1351)=0.8649 = 86% chance to find at least 1
At 5000 chances: 1-(0.999^5000=0.0067)=0.9933 = 99% chance to find at least 1
Its a bad drop rate in this case. But it can explain why it takes that long
non season 70gr triggers drops for seasons too? not really, does it?
I've seen about 6 or 7 thus far at P760ish playing solo most of the time. All garbage, but they're dropping.
I just wanted to chime in that I've been having terribad luck too. Granted I'm only 936 NS and 581 Seasonal, but I've still NEVER seen a single primal drop. Ever. Not even a bad one. =/

08/20/2017 11:29 AMPosted by Adhonaj
non season 70gr triggers drops for seasons too? not really, does it?
No. Non season GR 70 solo unlocks primals for non season characters only. Must do it again on season to unlock it for seasonal characters. Hardcore is separate from all that too.
I've only had two drop this season so far.

Rakoff's and Natalya pants.
I've only had one PA drop, a useless amulet with max rolls of bad stats. It wasn't even good for a stat stick.

No CHC/CHD/Socket. That's just trolling. Bad Blizzard, bad.
Personally, I'd like to see a change in the drop rate for Primals and Ancients (I haven't seen ANY Primals since before I bought the necro pack)...

It boils down to TWO Primal/Ancient drop rates...PADB (Primal/Ancient Difficulty-Based) and PMPA (Personal Max Primal/Ancient).

PADB is based on the difficulty of the game, or your current G-rift and goes like this:

Normal-->Master: 0% Primal Chance, 0% Ancient Chance (minimize your time here)
Torment 1: (primals unlocked)--0.1% Primal Chance, 0.4% Ancient, 99.5% normal
Torment 1: (Primals Not Unlocked)--0.5% Ancient chance, 99.5% normal

Add 0.2% Primal chance and 0.8% Ancient chance for every Torment level increase if Primals are unlocked, or 1% Ancient chance/Torment level increase if they aren't unlocked...

*Torment 13 (PU): 2.5% Primal Chance, 10% Ancient Chance, 87.5% normal
Torment 13 (PNU): 12.5% Ancient chance, 87.5% normal

*This is currently the general peak rate for normal gameplay, at the highest selectable difficulty--and definitely a BUFF compared to the current primal droprate.

For every 5 GR ranks over 60, add 0.2% P, 0.8% A (PU), or 1% Ancient chance (PNU) **Note, G-74 would have the same chance as G-70, G-75 is where the rate increases (0's and 5's only).

PADB applies to ALL of the following actions:
1. Monster kills (bounties, yellow rifts, campaigns--uses game difficulty rate)
2. Chests/corpses/other lootable objects (game difficulty)
3. Caches (difficulty where bounty cache was obtained)
4. Rift Guardian kills *(based on G-rift difficulty)

The other Primal/Ancient rate (PMPA), progresses at the same rate as PADB and is based on your solo personal best G-rift completed. It is always applied to the following actions REGARDLESS of difficulty...

1. Gambling with Kadala
2. Reforging a legendary with the cube
3. Upgrading a rare to legendary with the cube
4. Crafting a legendary/set item at the Blacksmith
5. Crafting a Hellfire Ring or Amulet at the Jeweler

As such, PMPA can be higher than PADB even if you are playing T 13 if you beat a G-65 or higher. Still, yellow rifts and bounties give more drops than a single RG (G-rift), so it might be better to do those instead if you're looking for Primals. The REAL benefit to PMPA would be the increased efficiency you gain in crafting, gambling, or reforging--if someone can solo a G-125, they would have TWICE the max PADB rate (or 5.1% chance) for getting a Primal with their PMPA rate and a 20.4% chance for an Ancient--a nice bonus :)

^^The BAD news? You can't get Ancients to drop in ANY difficulty if you haven't at least done a T 1 rift solo (or equivalent G-rift), and you still need to beat a G-70 to unlock Primals. Other players can't drop them for you either if you haven't unlocked them. Group rifts won't unlock either grade of upper legendary either--so getting carried is out--you have to earn the unlocks. (T 1 isn't that hard, but you will want to advance to higher difficulties for the better PADB rates.)

Thoughts?

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum