Elitist Hardcore players.

General Discussion
What is with elitist hardcore players belittling softcore players?? I see this again and again. Explain to me what is so difficult about making a hardcore character and only playing on difficulties well below your character so that there is virtually no risk of dying? Come on, there's nothing "hardcore" about that-- anyone can do it.

Some hardcore players do push themselves and push high grifts-- and I respect them. Those players are certainly braver than me (I'm sorry, I'm not willing to risk losing something I've dumped many hours into) But I see way too many hardcore players trying to act like elitist when they sit in torment(s) 1-3 with a full set and ancient weapon. Like, really...? What a joke. I just got told to "stay softcore" by some guy sitting in Torment 2. It's so silly.
You haven't been around humans much I take it. Of course they think whatever it is they are doing is special and if you don't then you are obviously weak. General advice: ignore 90+% of what you see in chat and you'll be a lot happier.
Think of the jocks and nerds in high school. This spectrum will always be present.

Casuals are losers.

This coming from a casual D3 player. But I get it.
Game crashing, constant disconnections, lag, stuttering. There's a lot of things that make players avoid HC mode other than just being scared of dying.
It is a social thing -- friends, clans, communities. There is no difference between those playing softcore and hardcore other than perhaps the social connection. Yes, hardcore can be challenging at times. To me, it is whatever my friends at playing. I have friends on both hardcore and softcore; so I play both. Suggest to use voice chat.
I play a lot of HC now. The only time I think I've seen any 'belittling' of SC occur is when a regular SC player has a character die because they try out HC and then they come to the forums and demand to have their character restored.

The belittling usually comes in the form of "You pushed the BIG MASSIVE SPLASH PAGE that says "WILL NOT RESTORE FOR ANY REASON" and if that isn't good enough for you you should go back to playing SC."

It really isn't belittling SC, more taking jabs at people who just can't seem to grasp the concept of "WILL NOT RESTORE FOR ANY REASON".

And sadly it happens. A lot. Way too much, frankly.
The trick is to make a set of gear with no level requirement. You can then level a character back to 70 in T6 in around 30 minutes.

That being said, when you're main dies, you lose all of your best gear.

This char was level in 30 minutes using the gear it wears:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Herbapou-1703/hero/70843349
People have always belittled others because their preferences different since the dawn of Humanity.

All I do is ignore them and do my thing. Odds are they'll be someone you never see or hear from again so their opinions really have no impact on what you want to do. Why let their petty noise bother you?
Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.
05/10/2017 10:28 AMPosted by Darkdiety
I just got told to "stay softcore" by some guy sitting in Torment 2. It's so silly.

You did however not explain what happend that made him saying that ?
Explain to me what is so difficult about making a hardcore character and only playing on difficulties well below your character so that there is virtually no risk of dying?

There isnt, but then again, if you play that way, you are not playing hardcore.

I havnt made a HC this season, but when i had my crusader i was sitting in TX (when TX was the highest difficulty). I also had my DH running the highest difficulty available.

Playing below your cap isnt hardcore.
Most HC players are actually pretty friendly. Don't judge them just because a few loud idiots gave you a hard time. Everyone knows what those low-torment pseudo-HC posers represent, so I honestly wouldn't waste any energy even acknowledging them. treat them as you would white noise :).
A lot of it comes from the people who whine about dying in the HC forums. If you press the 'Accept' button that says you'll die to any reason, don't turn around and complain on the forums when you die to any reason.
When I completed 100% achievement points for HC, I stopped playing HC. SC all the way....
I play HC and only HC. I like to push limits too, sometimes knowing I can be 1shot if I move the wrong way, Lost one recently to the game locking up and happened to be something running in the background on my pc that caused it. Meh, reroll and die another day. Tis all part of HC. But those that have this elitist attitude, you just have to ignore.
The only issue I have with others are those that do complain that I died because of this and that... bla bla bla... I dont care, you checked the box, reroll and have fun.
This is one thing I am glad Blizzard has been firm on, not restoring HC characters.

Anyone willing to try and play HC though, Hit me up.
What is with elitist hardcore players belittling softcore players?? I see this again and again. Explain to me what is so difficult about making a hardcore character and only playing on difficulties well below your character so that there is virtually no risk of dying? Come on, there's nothing "hardcore" about that-- anyone can do it.

Some hardcore players do push themselves and push high grifts-- and I respect them. Those players are certainly braver than me (I'm sorry, I'm not willing to risk losing something I've dumped many hours into) But I see way too many hardcore players trying to act like elitist when they sit in torment(s) 1-3 with a full set and ancient weapon. Like, really...? What a joke. I just got told to "stay softcore" by some guy sitting in Torment 2. It's so silly.

I am one of those hardcore players that do think softcore is kinda trash and a start up point in learning diablo3 ( not much to be learn is more about reflexes ), I have also tried softcore. There is no difference between hardcore and softcore until you start pushing, especially solo. Sometimes you will need to make decisions that will give you the win or cost you hero.

Softcore doesn't punish you for dying meaning even low skill player can reach to if he fishes enough and has lots of paragons, in the mean time he gains experience playing. Hardcore punishes noobs. If a player isn't inclined to push leaderboards then there is NO difference between hardcore and softcore. Only pushing makes a difference.
05/10/2017 11:51 AMPosted by CaiusMartius
I play a lot of HC now. The only time I think I've seen any 'belittling' of SC occur is when a regular SC player has a character die because they try out HC and then they come to the forums and demand to have their character restored.

The belittling usually comes in the form of "You pushed the BIG MASSIVE SPLASH PAGE that says "WILL NOT RESTORE FOR ANY REASON" and if that isn't good enough for you you should go back to playing SC."

It really isn't belittling SC, more taking jabs at people who just can't seem to grasp the concept of "WILL NOT RESTORE FOR ANY REASON".

And sadly it happens. A lot. Way too much, frankly.

This guy has nailed it, couldn't have said it better.

I started playing HC about 6 months before reaper of souls came out because a few of my RL mates were playing it and suggested i give it a go.
As a few people have mentioned here, a lot of it is about the social aspect, you tend to gravitate to where your mates are.
What keeps me in HC though is the thrill, i'm only a casual player, but there's not many games/game modes than can compare to the rush of pushing content to the limit of your character or even to the edge of your skill level knowing that you could die and lose everything at any moment. Or the rush of facing that and surviving all the while screaming with your mates in dischord.... screaming manfully of course!
If you try hardcore, yes you will die, it might be to a dc or lag issue on the server end or your end, but i promise you, give it a while, survive that first nasty fight with a few elite packs where you run away with less than half health..... You'll love it!
Slightly off topic, (initially) do you like Anime? You know the fan base is split between watching it in dub form, or the "pure" Japanese version. I used to be a dub fan, but once i entered the sub world, I noticed just how bad it is, watching it in English, and not its native Japanese form. Before I knew it, I began to feel snub, and anytime someone said they watched anime in dub for i couldn't help but tell them that they reallllllllllllly should watch it in native Japanese. I didn't mean to come off as some elitist snub, but i am sure it came off that way, because I was once just like them, until I saw the light.

Now lets go back on topic, first, I used to be a only SC fan. I also held to the idea that "Why would I risk all my gear in HC? It makes no sense!" However once trying HC, I can tell you exactly why.

1) HC focuses the player to turn off the TV and actually play the game. I am not kidding, without the fear of losing anything by dying, you find that you really don't need to pay attention at all (especially while farming). Slap all dmg gems and jump 10 GR levels? Why not! Whats the worst case that happens? Nothing.

Some may say that "Oh but if you just stack defense in HC you never challenge the content etc." This is not true. As dying to the content isn't the only way. I have lost a bunch of characters due to discs, etc. Plus the majority of HC players do push, of course not as fast as someone in SC would, but they still do. The urge to get stronger is the same, regardless if its HC or SC.

To wrap up, its not so much we go in with having some Elitist attitude, but once you get a taste for HC, playing the game on SC seems so mind numbing boring and unchallenging you can't help but feel the urge to tell a SC player that they should just come on over to HC..

Now you can argue that you don't have the time, you don't want to lose all your work, you can't game like 10 hours a day so you can't afford to lose your stuff etc. Ever heard of the saying, the journey is better than the destination?

Obtaining your set pieces, finding those ancients, unlocking GR70, getting primals, upgrading your gems, Calde your gear. After you have accomplished all this, whats left? The dreaded paragon farming. Fishing.

The fun part of this game is getting the gear, finding those upgrades. Not paragon farming. I haven't met a single person who was like, "Lets go on D3 and paragon farm! It's fun!" Fishing is great!

Conclusion: HC prolongs the real enjoyment of the game. With the fear of dying, you keep backup gear, the journey to get all your gear etc is prolonged, and thus, whether or not you know it or don't, the enjoyment is actually longer as well.

So for those who are only playing SC I implore you to try HC, I am confident once you get a taste for it, not only will you never go back to SC, but you will see just what makes it great.
You used to have to level a hardcore character 1-70 for season journey. This was a joke as all you (softcore players) had to do was to get a hardcore power level with zero effort.
05/10/2017 02:22 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
A lot of it comes from the people who whine about dying in the HC forums. If you press the 'Accept' button that says you'll die to any reason, don't turn around and complain on the forums when you die to any reason.

Thank you BobWitchDR.

Dying is part of the game.