Diablo 4 should be rated R18+

General Discussion
Even though this is unlikely, I think Diablo 4 (if it gets made) should be rated R. Why? Because you can do so much more with a higher rating, plus the game is set in a world where events should be far more brutal than they were in D3. I was very disappointed when Leah morphed into the big dude (big girl?), as all that happened was her dropping out of the shot and then moments later, oh look, Diablo. Even though the cut scene from D2 where the dark wanderer changed into Diablo looks outdated compared to today, it was far more memorable than what we got in D3, and way more badass. Oh and lets not bring up cain's death shall we? That was memorable for different reasons...

Deadpool was the highest grossing R rated film ever, they thought it would be a bad idea Making a superhero movie R rated, but mister Reynolds pushed for it and look what happened. Following that, this year we got Logan, a movie that really captures the viciousness of Wolverine. I can see many more R rated hero movies emerging in the future, why not do something to shake up the ARPG genre? I think Diablo 4 would be perfect for a R18+ tag...
Am I the only one who feels that people are mistaking bad graphics for a dark setting?

*I agree with you, the game should be dark, very dark, but D3 has bodies hanging from trees, monsters feasting on bodies, a body chained up to a sacrificial stone and gushing blood, etc.... I think the game is a lot darker than people realize, maybe you should just drop your gamma a bit haha :)
05/22/2017 11:53 AMPosted by Demonmonger
Am I the only one who feels that people are mistaking bad graphics for a dark setting?

*I agree with you, the game should be dark, very dark, but D3 has bodies hanging from trees, monsters feasting on bodies, a body chained up to a sacrificial stone and gushing blood, etc.... I think the game is a lot darker than people realize, maybe you should just drop your gamma a bit haha :)

Isn't Diablo 3 rated M anyway?
But none of those things are remotely creepy in Diablo 3. The cartoony graphics make sure that any sense of locked-in atmosphere that Diablo 2 had just gets destroyed

Perhaps, However music, Sound effects and settings Play a much bigger part in it than your giving credit as well as many people have already said
making 2D eviroments really ruined the atmosphere. this game needed dynamic lighting. thanks to 2d that will never happen.

Lol, I wish it was that easy. There definitely is a lot of dead and decay like effects around the game but it still didn't feel "horrific", it looked pleasant to look at it, even the dead bodies around the place just seemed cliche and expected. !@#$, maybe they can just add light radius to the game lol
05/22/2017 11:58 AMPosted by MarioDragon

Correct:
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=31460&Title=Diablo+III

Yes, D3 has dark elements, but it's not dark. At all. Because it's not a horror game.
And it's not a horror game mainly because of its protagonist.
The nephalem is not a tough mortal that puts honor before reason and fights evil in spite of the (very real) risks for their physical and mental well-being. The nephalem is an übermensch demi-god that fears nothing and eats demons for breakfast.

The Lord of Lies is trying to trick me? Easy, it's this guy, I saw it coming miles away.
The Lord of Sin is laying siege to our stronghold? Easy, I'll just destroy his army and outsmart him.
Hope is litteraly lost? Easy, I'll just litteraly free her.
Everybody in the 'verse has to obey destiny, even angels and demons? Screw destiny! I'm the freaking nephalem and nobody tells me what to do!
The Lord of Terror? I'm not even afraid of him!

To make the game dark, you need to give the player some sense of helplessness. If the player character is dashing through ennemies and make them explode on contact, the game can't truly be dark, no matter how gory you make said explosions look.

And, of course, the cartoony graphics don't help either.
D4 - if made - would be really easy to make it "R" rating just do to the lore of any Diablo game. Just look at the names we have in D3. Zombie Dogs, Soul Harvest, Consecration, Impale... The list goes on and on.
Female diablo with Boobs and High heels. Thats pretty freaking dark. with that Beyonce walk YO
05/22/2017 01:22 PMPosted by gooddaytodie
D4 - if made - would be really easy to make it "R" rating just do to the lore of any Diablo game. Just look at the names we have in D3. Zombie Dogs, Soul Harvest, Consecration, Impale... The list goes on and on.

Its very easy to do yes, that's why they should do it!
05/22/2017 01:24 PMPosted by FroZen
Female diablo with Boobs and High heels. Thats pretty freaking dark. with that Beyonce walk YO

Cringe worthy moment. Sexy Diablo, really blizzard, really?
Nudity and swearing won't make D3 problems go away.
Absolutely not. You can make D4 a great horror game without resorting to an AO rating.

The #1 reason they shouldn't go AO is because twitch doesn't allow games with AO rating to be streamed.

And on top of that there are tons of retailers refuse to sell AO games. It's just not a smart business decision.

They just need to go away from the action/adventure style that's been successful in WoW, and move more toward a creepy atmosphere. Have more dynamic lighting that makes areas creepy. Add sounds that add to a scary ambiance.
05/22/2017 01:08 PMPosted by Thorgor
Yes, D3 has dark elements, but it's not dark. At all. Because it's not a horror game.

It's a racing game.
Never happen. D3 is a console game, D4 (if ever) will be a console game or an app. They will lose money from a R or NC17 rating.

I think it goes way beyond graphics. The overall mood in D3 feels more like a fantasy land with an epic conflict than a land ravaged by despair and corruption. This ties directly to the storytelling style used for the game. NPCs just can't help but praise you wherever they see you, and cackling villains just can't stop muhahahaha-ing all the time. It's pretty comical, in fact, and completely kills the overall tone of the game, even if there's tons of gore everywhere.

Gore alone won't successfully communicate the right mood. Think about the way NPCs behaved in both D1 and D2. Many seemed to have lost their minds after experiencing the horrors of hell, as one would expect. Farnham the drunk is a particularly iconic character in this regard. The guy can barely put a coherent sentence together, yet happens to pop a joke or two as best he can to salvage what little sanity is left in his mind.

Compare this character to any of the unmemorable characters you see in D3. Practically none of them can hold a candle in terms of character to Farnham, because they all seem to have been designed within a whymsical fairytale book, rather than a horror context. Very few characters in D3 are loaded with any mystery or ambiguity, and are as one-dimensional and boring as it gets, like written by an amateur teenage writer hoping to put together his first novel. The only exception is perhaps Covetous Shen. This guy is literally the only memorable character I can think about that could actually fit within a proper Diablo narrative. I like how they make his story deliberately ambiguous, and his dialogue can be somewhat creepy and unsettling at times, despite his seemingly whimsical personality.

Compare that to Tyrone. A guy who's completely predictable and whose struggle to put out cheeky remarks are borderline cringe-worthy. He certainly matches the ridiculously over-exposed villains in the game.

So yeah, visual aesthetics alone aren't going to set the mood. You can have a Dark Souls-like visual style, but if the narrative doesn't follow that style in a cohesive way, it will end conflicting with itself just like D3 did. Contrast this to PoE's rather modest graphics, yet absolutely spot-on visual tone to flesh out a dark and unforgiving world. NPCs are pretty hostile to you, because you're just another of many disposable exiles within this crazy land you've been sent to. The game oozes ambiance, and it doesn't need highly polished graphics to do so, although it's evident it could benefit from a bit more polish. The more impressionable players may find the relatively low graphic fidelity discouraging, but I don't assume everyone to be able to identify these nuances without getting distracted by graphical polish.

Just compare the way gear looks in both games. In D3, all these sets are literally ported over from WoW fantasy land, whereas in PoE they successfully blend with the struggle for survival the game throws you into from the very beginning. You're wearing scraps of armor and rags, rusty salvaged equipment, random objects re-purposed as fighting equipment, and even the high end pieces look to be more function-oriented than they seem flashy ornaments, despite cosmetic stuff being undeniably flashy. D3 unfortunately inherited WoW's "massive pauldrons" syndrome, and many armors seem completely impractical, not to mention they're as generic as it gets, just like they are in WoW.

Those are the sort of details that batter D3's visual identity. It simply can't set itself apart from WoW, and it's very unfortunate because lore-wise, it's got all the material to be it's own thing. I'm aware Blizzard has developed it's own style, but I simply believe that style just isn't compatible with Diablo.
05/22/2017 04:26 PMPosted by ShogunRob
Never happen. D3 is a console game, D4 (if ever) will be a console game or an app. They will lose money from a R or NC17 rating.
Tell that to Deadpool Movie. Some things NEED to be rated R to 'do good'. Example: Can you imagine Saving Private Ryan as a rated PG movie... ~not as good~
D4? NO THANKS

But none of those things are remotely creepy in Diablo 3. The cartoony graphics make sure that any sense of locked-in atmosphere that Diablo 2 had just gets destroyed

SO I am right then, choppy really bad claymation is what makes people think it is dark and creepy.....whatever.....
05/22/2017 08:07 PMPosted by Demonmonger

SO I am right then, choppy really bad claymation is what makes people think it is dark and creepy.....whatever.....

No this conversation is just beyond you and you're too dumb to understand.