A word on Spirit Barrage (Phantasms)

Witch Doctor
Hey all,

There’s a lot of great discussion and a ton of build sharing going on around Legacy of Nightmares builds for the Witch Doctor that focus on the interaction between Spirit Barrage (Phantasms) and several pet-oriented Legendary powers. It’s wonderful to see such constructive conversation and information sharing as various community members explore the strengths and intricacies of this emergent gameplay.

There has also been some concern that this interaction will be nerfed. We wanted to share our thoughts on this today and reassure the Witch Doctor community that, at this time, we have no intentions to make changes to Spirit Barrage (Phantasms) or its currently existing interactions with items such as Mask of Jeram, Ring of Emptiness or The Barber.

While this is somewhat inconsistent philosophically from the changes that we’ve made in the past regarding this skill and rune combination, we looked at the situation objectively and asked ourselves a couple questions:

• Is it fun?
  • Is it balanced?

Ultimately, we’ve decided that the answer to both of these questions is yes, and there is much higher risk in adjusting the balance of this skill or the other items than there is to let the community continue to enjoy this fun and unique build. We will continue monitoring its performance, of course, and we’re prepared to make any changes if something extreme arises. In the meantime, please continue to theorycraft and Spirit Barrage to your heart’s content!

-The Diablo Dev Team
This build just proves how much better this game would be without AD. Remove it already and put something useful/fun and not lagging.
Now you can maybe focus on fixing the shield pylon and the game crashes it crates on high lvls gr with density. Kinda sucks keep loosing characters on HC to this. and Since this is a end game problem, you loose full augmented characters to this. such a silly problem top have for so long.
Happy little accidents :)
Howdy,

Thanks for being active in the community. As a player/consumer I appreciate the grassroots feedback. You're gonna get lots of trolls/negativity/toxic ect. Props to whichever intern deals with this. You're gonna make it, hard work pays off.

We need a blue post about GR cow sticks. People aren't sure what your stance is. Word on the street is that most people don't think its an exploit, but won't promote or showcase until you greenlight. Couldn't find a youtube or forum in 60 secs but I'm sure you know what I'm on. You open a cow area with the bovine, do a GR, have the wiz do 2 rounds of melee archon to RG to build stricken, have the wiz pop out and get archon stacks in cow, pop back in, one shot. The way you've set it up seems like good parenting. The kids are afraid to drive after curfew, but are the keys gonna get taken away because they drove a friend home? Post something to the effect of "this is what's on the menu." You don't have to take a stance yet, but tell us you know whats going on and when to expect an answer.

Idea: Create a system for cross promotion among influences. If your WoW people get fans to purchase diablo, or the Overwatch people get viewers into HOTS, make it worth their while to do free ads for you. Example: Use my streamer code, get $5 off purchase or DLC. Influences gets credits, leads to BETA keys or free DLC, so they can hype your new stuff. Big tent blizzard, lions, clowns, and popcorn.

I take a 5% commision on all consulting. I want my nickels when it blows up. Kappa.

Thanks again
Great news!
First time on the 4 player meta, that we can fully enjoy the gameplay without lock the game out.
Good to hear.
Good stuff! Love this build , a real Swiss army knife build been playing this solo and in 4 man's, it's cool to use smk again!
FB lags the crap out of this game. SB is much more "friendly".

It might be inconsistent, but you probably should change it eventually --- not by nerfing it, but by adding items to make it consistent.

We would get a WD mask that does: +100% to Spirit Skill (includes Haunt, SB, etc) and a handful of other items that boost Spirit Skills.

Once those items are added, you can freely "fix" the inconsistency. The end result would be that SB would perform as well, without the inconsistency.
Nice, good to hear, very fun build.

My wish...
Change Phantasms radius to 18yrds, increase bonus to 75%-100% on Gazing.

Easy fix, take us to the next level

:)
Only thing i don't like about this build is casting locus swarms and haunts....
Cool, I have been thinking about trying this build out. My only problem is I got rid of all my good gazing demises and other needed items in the great stash cleanout of a while ago. Honestly while I am excited about necromancer, I'm mostly excited about the stash tabs and character slots. #spaaaace
Good decision, great reasoning, thanks! :)
This is great for witch doctors but bad for the game in general, without additional changes to increase to the same level the capabilities of the builds of other classes.

Witch doctors have not only been locked in as the primary focus of the highest level GR group play for 4 straight seasons, but now have 2 more builds with that capability than any other class. Not even DH back in the early seasons or wizard with all its solo and previous group dps power even come close to such a distinction.

I have no desire to see any class nerfed, but something needs to change here. Four straight seasons of WD plus 3 de facto supports is more than enough.
05/19/2017 10:08 AMPosted by Nevalistis
Is it fun?
Is it balanced?

Great post Nev,

Definitely appreciate the open minded approach. Wish there were more viable Group DPS builds for other classes, but I definitely like Spirit Barrage.. a lot of people may think its a simple playstyle, it is very complex and mechanics of it moreso. Been trying to understand google translate on these Chinese forums for last two weeks lol ;P

05/19/2017 11:29 AMPosted by MadnessWalks
Thanks for being active in the community. As a player/consumer I appreciate the grassroots feedback. You're gonna get lots of trolls/negativity/toxic ect. Props to whichever intern deals with this. You're gonna make it, hard work pays off.

Lol, Nevalistis is primarily the "dont kill the messenger" role down @Blizzard and she's definitely not an intern. I don't think any of the CM's generally get phased by a little negativity on the forums, but Nevalistis has had to make the roughest announcements with a couple exceptions of the Devs (usually Wyatt) themselves.

Of course what is negative to one may be positive to another.

05/19/2017 11:29 AMPosted by MadnessWalks
We need a blue post about GR cow sticks. People aren't sure what your stance is. Word on the street is that most people don't think its an exploit, but won't promote or

This is nothing new you could do this back in Firebug days. While I would say it probably shouldn't work like that but I would also say it really isn't that big of a deal.. Wizards are not the main RG killer now. They had a better chance of being RG killer with Firebats, because there is less in the main additive column of damage (classic buffs, debuffs, [non pet related] skill %, strongarms etc..) with Spirit Barrage so DH giving buffs, debuffs matter more now- I know Wolf is Multi.

[Edit] May have spoke too soon. New Meta just dropped a 117 HC, his wiz dropped the rg within the power from 90~ to 0
Great post!

I feel a change in the wind, says I.

A warm, welcoming update indeed.
Very good news, thanks Brandy!
Really appreciate this communication!
Thats good to hear. I was holding off on augmenting any of my items for SB but now I will really start to focus on min maxing my SB gear and augmenting it.