Greater Rift Keys

General Discussion
I'm a returning player after 2 years away.

so much has changed and i'm pretty hooked again on D3.

I've had tons of questions and i've been able to find my own answers for the most part... but i still have one.

Where do you find the greater rift keys now? When I go to the obelisk it says i only have 7 or 8... but in my stash i have many more. Did these change somehow?
The Greater Rift on the obelisk notifies the level of Greater Rift you have access based on the highest level of Greater Rift you have succeeded within the given time frame. For example, if one of your character managed to solo GR70, you have up to GR71 (or anything up to 5 levels higher than the level you managed to clear). Also, if you managed to complete a GR level way higher than your solo from a group game, all your character has access to that GR level, but again, the highest GR your character solo may not always tally.

Greater Rift keys drop off from Normal Rift's Rift Guardian.
The Greater Rift on the obelisk notifies the level of Greater Rift you have access based on the highest level of Greater Rift you have succeeded within the given time frame.

Greater Rift keys drop off from Normal Rift's Rift Guardian.

Ok, thank you!.... but next noob question.

How can i choose between greater and normal? Still at the obelisk?
I guess i've only seen the option to do the "greater" rifts.
The top is "Nephalem" rifts, which you don't need keys to open. The bottom is the Greater Rift button.
05/22/2017 11:08 AMPosted by Lag16Smoke
The top is "Nephalem" rifts, which you don't need keys to open. The bottom is the Greater Rift button.

ahhhh ok... thanks again! I just kept doing the G rifts below it then. Should have payed closer attention ;)
Related question...

What the H do i do with all my old keys from 2 years ago? Just scrap them? I can still see them in my stash inventory "greater rift key"
All you can do is sell them at the vendor. Or keep them as a small reminder of the purgatory that was the Realm of Trials.
You'd want to use them up by going into the Greater Rifts to level up your legendary gem, or excess legendary gems you may want to use to augment your gears, or to level up multiple Gem of Ease to remove level requirements from your equipment.
05/22/2017 11:26 AMPosted by Kevmeister
You'd want to use them up by going into the Greater Rifts to level up your legendary gem, or excess legendary gems you may want to use to augment your gears, or to level up multiple Gem of Ease to remove level requirements from your equipment.

That's the issue though... the rift obelisk doesn't even recognize that they exist.
So i guess i'll just vendor them if i'm able to do so.

Thanks again all!
05/22/2017 11:32 AMPosted by Yakob
That's the issue though... the rift obelisk doesn't even recognize that they exist.
So i guess i'll just vendor them if i'm able to do so.

Thanks again all!

I think what you have in hand are normal Rift Keys. I remember those, you'd usually get them from bounty caches (the yellow coloured ones).

It was a whole lot of loop to get to Greater Rifts back then;

Farm bounties > get rift keys > farm Nephalem Rifts > get Trial keys > enter Realm of Trials > access the Greater Rift