Controller support for PC

Technical Support
Ok, so I'll start this saying I know there are many who may find this unnecessary, but just as you are entitled to your thoughts and opinions, so are others. You can skip the next part if needed, it just gives some backstory, I talk too much, it's a thing, I admit it.

I bought D3 back when it was new, but my PC sucked and I can't stand playing M&K for very long. It's just not comfortable for me, never has been. Well, I never played it after like, a couple weeks of trying. Then came D3 on PS4 and it was glorious. I played so much of that, and so did my friends, and it was so much fun. Well, a year and a half ago, I got a great gaming PC, and just last night, some friends and I were talking and wanna get into D3 again! So I got RoS for PC, fired it up today and... no controller support. Yes, I know I should have checked first, but idk why I didn't, the thought just hadn't crossed my mind. Too excited for some D3 I guess lol Now my friends will likely not even buy it without support added.

Yes, I came from console, I've only been a PC gamer for the past year and a half. I'm used to controller, it's comfortable. M&K has never been very comfortable for me, or my friends to use, plus, most of us use our TV's as PC monitors, so there are range issues for M&K, if we were even willing to try using it.

Controller support is something I've seen asked for before, it's something plenty of players want, even if not a majority. No one is asking you to drastically change the game, or anything, just to add an option to change to the controller set-up that consoles have. Due to disabilities, range issues, or other things, a lot of people don't like to, or can't use M&K. Please, just add the support so that those who want it, can use it, and those that don't, can ignore it. What does it hurt to add the support?

Please don't bash me, or people who want to use controller. Not everyone fits into the, "PC MasterRace, git gud with M&K noob, console sucks", type category. A gamer is a gamer no matter how they want to play, whether console or PC, M&K or controller, etc... Heck, Steam released their own controller due to how many people play games with one. All I ask is a little love for us who hate using M&K for gaming...
They have covered this before.

The PC will not get a controller support.
The PC and Console versions are different games. They look the same, but the code of how skills works with directions and movement are completely different.

You can use your own 3rd-party software to setup a controller, but it will just not work the right way on the PC version.
EDIT:
This had nothing about "git gud" or pc master race, it just simply cant be done to the version of D3 that the PC uses.
While you are certainly free to ask again, Blizzard has repeatedly said they have no plans to add controller support to the PC.
05/31/2017 10:45 AMPosted by Thphlstr
They have covered this before.

The PC will not get a controller support.
The PC and Console versions are different games. They look the same, but the code of how skills works with directions and movement are completely different.

You can use your own 3rd-party software to setup a controller, but it will just not work the right way on the PC version.
EDIT:
This had nothing about "git gud" or pc master race, it just simply cant be done to the version of D3 that the PC uses.

I mean, I understand the case that has been made about things being different, and movement being different, but here is what I think, again, just my opinion obviously. I think they could add it still, the exact controller scheme, and then controller players will figure out themselves how to adjust to the movement differences, and number of attacking enemies, and such. If gamers are good at ANYTHING, it's figuring out how to work around a problem, find loopholes, find strategies, etc... I am currently looking at controller programs online, but it seems due to the way movement is handled with the mouse on PC, it's way more difficult to emulate on a controller.

Gamers are resourceful. I'm fine with things being a bit harder if I can be comfortable using the controller. As long as it isn't impossible. I mean, I've seen people on these forums claim that they have done great, and in some cases, as good or better than a lot of M&K users, with a controller setup on PC D3.

I get it, I do, and if they don't add it, I can understand why, it's just disappointing because there are a lot of people I wanna play with that have sold their consoles, or play a different console version, that it seems due to this, I may never be able to play with. Maybe today I can try and solve the issue of getting my M&K in range and try using that again...
Last year when I broke my mouse hand I used Xpadder to play D3 with a gamepad. Worked really well. Not saying I don't like mouse and keyboard better, but it worked.
05/31/2017 03:13 PMPosted by Lycanthro
Last year when I broke my mouse hand I used Xpadder to play D3 with a gamepad. Worked really well. Not saying I don't like mouse and keyboard better, but it worked.

I unfortunately just spent the last of my, "free money", on RoS for D3, so I can't afford XPadder yet. I am looking at D3gamepad, and looking for the best key binding set up that works for comfortable use on a 360 controller. Any link to a really good controller scheme/setup?
05/31/2017 03:20 PMPosted by Carnage
I unfortunately just spent the last of my, "free money", on RoS for D3, so I can't afford XPadder yet.

Ha!

Should have spent your "free money" on the console version of the game instead. You've been given alternatives by a very helpful community and you just find reasons to reject them.

-JJ
05/31/2017 05:14 PMPosted by JimmyJames
05/31/2017 03:20 PMPosted by Carnage
I unfortunately just spent the last of my, "free money", on RoS for D3, so I can't afford XPadder yet.

Ha!

Should have spent your "free money" on the console version of the game instead. You've been given alternatives by a very helpful community and you just find reasons to reject them.

-JJ

#1: Re-read my post, I OWN the console version, but my friends sold their consoles and play PC games now and so do I, and they're not gonna buy PS4's and D3 JUST for that one game.

#2: What alternatives were suggested, and which were rejected? Because the only alternative given was a 3rd party program for controllers, which I clearly stated I was looking into. Which is kind of the OPPOSITE of rejecting it. You clearly just wanted to be hostile and antagonistic, and didn't care about the details
Look at this as an oppotunity to learn something new. Mastering a mouse and keyboard for gaming and work applications is an art, and as such can be quite enjoyable. It's never to early to start.
Welcome to the Diablo 3 forums, where you're not allowed to have an opinion without people spam downvoting you. It's even worse than reddit.
05/31/2017 09:50 PMPosted by Carnage

#1: Re-read my post, I OWN the console version, but my friends sold their consoles and play PC games now and so do I, and they're not gonna buy PS4's and D3 JUST for that one game.

My bad. I play a ton of console games, including D3, but I don't own a console. I go to my friends house. While you said you played D3 on the console you never actually stated that you owned it.

However, RedCell has a point about getting used to playing with a keyboard and mouse.

-JJ
What is M&K?

Also, how would you pick up items using a controller on a PC?
06/01/2017 08:24 AMPosted by KillerElite
What is M&K?

Also, how would you pick up items using a controller on a PC?

M&K means "Mouse and Keyboard"

As for the items, that is one of the many issues there are with adapting a controller onto the PC version.
05/31/2017 10:32 AMPosted by Carnage
Please don't bash me, or people who want to use controller. Not everyone fits into the, "PC MasterRace, git gud with M&K noob, console sucks", type category.

The issue isn't so much the platform itself as it is the primary input devices used on the platform and the amount of work it would take to support other devices. The support you're asking for is a lot of work for very little gain when you consider how much was done to make Diablo work with a controller.

The UI changes on console make using a controller nicer (I suppose), but the standard UI could be pretty easily navigated with a D-Pad. The bigger issue is that the actual gameplay for PC is designed to be done with a mouse and keyboard, and doesn't work at all with a controller. In order to support it, they would have to do a lot of work to allow the controller to emulate mouse movements (so you could use one of the analogue sticks to scroll the pointer, for example), or do work to change the gameplay to support use of a controller (which is exactly what D3 console is).

When you consider that supporting this would be a non-zero amount of work and that the benefit is probably very small, it should make sense as to why the support isn't there. However, unless Blizzard has come out and said that use of a controller is specifically forbidden, you can probably find and use third party software to allow you to use a controller as a generic input device. Just be sure the software is legit and doesn't automate anything for you.
06/01/2017 09:27 AMPosted by Thphlstr
As for the items, that is one of the many issues there are with adapting a controller onto the PC version.

This was also a problem on Console. The button to pick up items is the same as the primary attack button (X on PS), and generally resulted in melee classes getting all the loot.

With the RoS expansion, they figured out way to emulate instancing the loot (like PC) even though the screen was shared. Now, loot is assigned when it drops and goes to that character no matter who picks the item up. That way when melee is spamming X to attack, they're also giving everyone their loot rather than stealing it all.
95% of the people I've talked to, played with, and read comments from agree the console version feels how Diablo SHOULD be, and that the console controls are smooth, and great, and it's the better version. This was coming from Diablo series veterans too. I'm not saying one version is better than the other, but from trying both, the console/controller version is definitely way smoother and easier to succeed on, in my personal opinion.

TY all for your comments, and I understand why it would be extremely difficult to implement. SInce D3 was their first venture into console for Diablo, and the Dev's have stated they loved it and many of the Dev team agree it's an amazing version, maybe one day, when they do D4, they'll be able to implement some of the ideas from the console version and find a way to make it all work.
06/05/2017 12:59 PMPosted by Carnage
SInce D3 was their first venture into console for Diablo

Diablo 1 was released on PC and Playstaion....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(video_game)

D3 was not the first time with a console.
D3 has been tortured enough by console syndrome. Adding controller support for PC would be...perhaps a natural fit...
I've been playing D3 since the beginning with a controller, I've got bad hand issues as well. ;) Also, FYI, the console versions of Diablo were always done by a different team and that team created the controller mapping, not Blizzard.

I use a combination of Xpadder (for skill button and keyboard assignments) and an Auto-IT script for 360 degree movement of the character and inventory management. It takes a little tinkering to set it up right, but after practice its very easy to use on my PS4 controller. DS4Windows application for making the controller work like an Xbox gamepad, and you can use the touchpad like a mouse trackpad.

I can provide you the scripts if you are interested, but be forewarned, they are not very user friendly if you aren't familiar with coding.

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend my way unless you want to figure it out, there are many other methods to play D3 with a controller.
You could have said, "Blizzard should add controller support. That is my opinion don't judge me for it."
I have always used a keyboard and mouse. But if people want to use a controller on PC? Why not? As baffeling as that is to me they should be able to.