Rhykker First Comparison of Poe to D3

Games & Technology
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
^^ Pretty obvious if you listen to him he prefers D3 and the only reason he plays PoE is that he gets more views streaming that turd of a game.
Grim Dawn > PoE
05/21/2017 10:16 PMPosted by AshyLarry
3. The bosses in PoE can actually be a real challenge where you have to know the skills the bosses use, and know the best way to defeat them. Again you just saying "all it is, is kiting" is just more you proving to any PoE player that you don't play the game, you haven't gotten past lvl 5, but yet you still talk about the game like you have any idea what you're talking about. You don't have the brain power for PoE kid.

No real reason to respond to that guy. He dismissed the idea PoE was more hardcore based on graphics and one sentence later he is criticizing the difficultly of the monsters because Rhykker was having to kite. I think D3 is the game for him so lets not risk changing his mind.

Also, it wasn't even a boss... it was a tormented 2xEssence rare Rhykker tried to take on in normal using SRS lol.
05/21/2017 10:06 PMPosted by Flameboy
No doubt PoE offers great character customization and player progression, but it eventually crumbles upon reaching the end game, as you would inevitably realize it bears all the flaws which have been plaguing the genre since D2. One shot mechanics necessitating a strict gear check, arbitrary number requirements and/or unadulterated RNG to extend the grind, spamming a single skill ad nauseam etc. The end game (maps) is only very slightly, more interesting than GRs, but nothing mind-blowing that would make me drop all other games.

This is personally why I have taken a strong liking to Grim Dawn when I am bored with D3.

It focuses on some of the finer moments in an ARPG, which is character building and a sound balance between offense and defense. If you want to clear some of the end game content, you will need a good balance of resistances, defensive and offensive ability, and damage.

PoE in my opinion has always been a bad clone of D2. It honestly does not feel like it is the true "sequel" when I play it, instead, it feels like those 4-5 mirror games that come out around the time another great game comes out, catering to those that dislike the main top selling game. Nothing wrong with that at all, and the model clearly works for them with a steady playerbase of around 35,000-50,000 players at league start. Couple that with the fact that most of those 35,000-50,000 players support the game buy paying for heavily priced microstransactions, and it makes sense that people are getting more relevant changes to the game to keep it fresh, as money allows them to keep retooling the system.
I wonder if hardcore should be more about game methodologies and depth rather than if you die you can't be resurrected (perhaps a thought for D4 should it come about). it might be more beneficial to game health if you had a game mode for both the casual and the hardcore player. The hardcore mode could have a more complex building methodology while the normal mode would just develop the character for the player in a set method. To me it makes sense to have content for both the casual and the hardcore players as they both exist. It seems negligent for either game to reside in only one of those forums as they both potentially produce large revenue buckets. PoE actually has less to gain from the casual gamer though than Diablo series has to gain from the hardcore gamer as a casual gamer is less inclined to spend as you go in order to do smaller things.

I would consider myself a casual gamer with a desire to have more control over my character. PoE was interesting for me for a while, but I lost interest. I have not been there in a very long time. I might jump back over there sometime, but I have been hammering out a season since I came back to the gaming environments. I like depth in my games though, I just may not have time to do the content as quickly as many others. Nor do I have the desire to play with others. Perhaps I am rare, but I don't think so. I am an introvert, I don't want to deal with people. I spend my entire day explaining things to people. I don't want to interact with people any more once my work day and my familial interactions are done. I do want to be entertained and I want smooth animations. I would like more depth than D3 provides sometimes, but the battle is smooth and much more enjoyable than PoE for me.

For me, I have spent so much more time gaming this season than I have at any point. It hasn't been all good, but it has had way more good points than bad points. PoE seemed clunky at times, but I would need to get back into it to really give it a true chance.
I played both, and i have to say the major problem with PoE:

RnG is too harsh...

Mf in PoE is the same arcaic concept that keep people playing non stop for 2-3 years without drop a single Shavs (example), and then some newbie come and drop it with some random mob. This isnt a rewarding system...

There are too much currencys in the game, and the economy become a nightmare. You need to keep checking websites, to see the currency/ratio, if not you will get raped... Trades require tons of times in many cases.

You also have to deal with sucks drops, like low lvl items, droping in high dificult.

When you finally find a good item, with good stats, you will need to deal with another rng: sockets... Sometimes get 6 socks (with the right colors) in a armor or weapon take ages...

The build diversity was great till the Atlas xpack, then everyone else figured out how some builds are incredible more efficient than others.

This is my personal opnion though, but there are many topics in their forum about this.

The best thing in the game is the char devolupment, passive skill tree, specialization with ascendancy, etc, its amazing (plus summoners there are real summoners if you like this kind of char).
dbl post delete option not working..
I am glad he gives POE a chance, but the review of the game of POE wasn't exactly 100% fair. He was not near the end game content to see what its fully like. Yes you can gauge it from a decent stand point, but it just seemed really bias towards D3. I know what he said in the video that he has been a blizzard fan since diablo2 starcraft ( maybe earlier if i recall ). But i have been playing blizzard games since the first warcraft hell even the lost vikings, but i started with diablo 1 spent about a good 4-5 years on that game. Then came Diablo 2 i spent nearly 11 or more years playing it. Diablo 3 has been out for 5 years now or close, and i probably spent total time maybe a year or 2 on the game leaving and coming back to check out whats new.

He made a good point. Yes the new seasons brings the waves of players back then after a few weeks a good majority are gone. The Necro will bring back a good wave again bigger than seasons, but will slowly die out.

Shame to see D3 enter Maintenance mode but they'd have make some major improvements to bring the people back because a good majority lost hope already.
05/22/2017 12:08 PMPosted by Reginato
RnG is too harsh...

You aren't guaranteed to find the most rare items. The whole point is to have a carrot on a stick. D3 doesn't have that, they have a carrot early on that morphs in to what mirrors the effects of what time and exposure to the elements has on a turd. Yes, the loot hunt at the end of this stick turns into a crusty, stale turd very quickly. While in POE that rare item......could be just around the corner from early game to late game. Plus, you are constantly accumulating currency, things of value and use which you can choose to focus toward purchasing a specific item.

Mf in PoE is the same arcaic concept that keep people playing non stop for 2-3 years without drop a single Shavs (example), and then some newbie come and drop it with some random mob. This isnt a rewarding system...

MF works in POE. But again you aren't guaranteed to find a shavs because you have 300 MF and 150 quantity. What you are doing is getting more drops you can sell for currency, or use for other builds or for your current build. You may or may not get lucky. It is what it is. I prefer faster clearing builds over MF builds. That's but one choice of many a player can make in wraeclast.

There are too much currencys in the game, and the economy become a nightmare. You need to keep checking websites, to see the currency/ratio, if not you will get raped... Trades require tons of times in many cases.

There are a lot currencies, but they are there to help alleviate RNG drops and not getting a rare item, as you pointed out Shavs. If you play and focus, you can buy one and many other rare items, they aren't that expensive but you will need to learn quite a lot about the game. Otherwise you may waste currency or get ripped off by another player.

The trade market can be harsh, I'll give you that. but there is an indexer website that makes things a lot easier. But trading is still not something I particularly enjoy in POE. However, I do love finding loot that have value to other players. It's part of what makes the loot hunt fun.

I've been playing poe for a long time and barely trade. I only sell high value rares/items and stay away from the nickel/dime (1-5chaos/alch) sales. There are only 2 items that are usually out of reach for me in a 3 mo temp league, Skyforths and Headhunter. If I really wanted to focus my currency and game play, they would be attainable even if I wasn't lucky enough to get a single drop of even 1/20 of their value or less.

Also, your experience is going to vary if you play SSF option or not. Things are much harder to attain in SSF but it comes with the territory. SSF or not, you will consistently be finding items with value and use, but you may or may not find that extremely rare item.

You also have to deal with sucks drops, like low lvl items, droping in high dificult.

You can also find high value currency as soon as you start on the beach at level one. No complaints there though right? Hell there are many items that are low level that are outstanding much later in the game. I don't have a problem with having a range of items drop since there's more to the loot hunt than just the ilvl or lower tier items dropping in high tier maps.

Although your statement has truth to it, the experience is not anywhere near the same as we had in D3 Vanilla.

When you finally find a good item, with good stats, you will need to deal with another rng: sockets... Sometimes get 6 socks (with the right colors) in a armor or weapon take ages...

6 sockets does not take ages, its actually easy to attain 6 sockets. You accumulate jewelers like candy once you hit merciless and even late cruel. The right colors however is going to depend on the stat requirements on the item itself. Don't expect to get 5/6 off colors (red/green) on a Vaal Regalia INT based chest that is heavily weighted to roll blue sockets.

But guess what, these kind of things open up more options for different builds that all have different pros and cons. One being the cost to chrome something into the right colors. Socketing and getting the right colors on gear is not difficult unless you are fighting against the mechanics/weights of coloring sockets.

The build diversity was great till the Atlas xpack, then everyone else figured out how some builds are incredible more efficient than others.

I hate to break it to you chief, but there have always been a variety of efficient builds to different degrees in POE. It isn't just exclusive to Atlas. There are some that are stupid speed wise like vaal fireball that will be going the way of the dodo soon I hope. Some of these efficient builds cant do some of the harder bosses either, like shaper, or uber atziri, some can. Most builds excel at some things and aren't that great at others.

Bottom line is build diversity is still good. There are plenty of ways to build all classes that are perfectly capable of clearing all content. Many of which can be build on a budget. But It just depends on how you want to play. Whats more important than looking at efficient builds is finding one that you find is fun and is efficient enough for you to enjoy. Otherwise, even max efficiency gets boring if you aren't having fun with the playstyle.

This is my personal opnion though, but there are many topics in their forum about this.

Now, all your points I understand where you are coming from and I'm not saying you are wrong at all. I also totally understand why a lot of people get turned off by POE during the early stages of the game. There are a lot of things POE does well and a lot of things not so much. It's far from perfect. Same goes for D3 and even our beloved D1 & D2.

Personally I think D3 and POE are way too different to even compare. Poe being a more traditional ARPG and D3 leans more arcade action-ish. But as much as I want to play D3, there just isn't enough substance to it to keep me entertained for very long. I want more from D3 not less. I expect more from a Diablo game and blizzard.

See you in the Fall of the Oriath!
I really believe that Rhyker did a disservice to himself by creating this video at level 49 in Path of Exile.

Most builds really gain their flavor between 65-90 where you actually unlock the ability to use all uniques in the game. (some are level locked past 67).

He is 100% right that Diablo 3 is way more user-friendly and holds hands. That's probably why I prefer PoE. PoE allows the players to make mistakes or create miracles. It gives you an awesome feeling of "boom or bust" where you are 100% in charge of your gear and combination of skills that allows you to kill monsters.

If Diablo 3 would improve their LoN set and the bonuses it gives, I think D3 would be much more interesting for it. I don't want a pre-programmed set that gives 3000% more damage. This is where PoE excels imo.

Pretty good video overall. He isn't really stating anything that that ins't already known.
I played both, and i have to say the major problem with PoE:

RnG is too harsh...

Shavs is a tier 1 unique that has no equal for low life builds. Finding one is basically the end of the loot hunt for that slot. That's why it is extremely rare as a drop. On the other hand it is relatively easy to acquire one through generating wealth and/or targeted farming divination cards. I farmed one easily in the SSF league. Got several 6L from div cards as well. Spent most of the early weeks chancing fiend daggers till I got a Consuming Dark.

The RNG is only harsh if you got in mindlessly and blindly waiting for the game to just give you what you need. With knowledge and strategy you can actually get everything in a reasonable amount of time without even trading. With trading it is even faster. Knowledge is power in PoE.
I made it about 6.5 minutes in. He's alright and all but I don't have a need to sit through and see what it's all about. POE looks cool, but it trashed me last time (2nd time) I played it. I got lost in that first act so easily. Nothing stood out as a way to find the next area or cave or whatever I had to fine, and that wouldn't be so bad except that I tried ridiculously hard to find my way around. it shouldn't have felt so lengthy.

You know what happened after I wondered through some catacomb forever, with this one section where you had to access different points and objectives, after being lost forever ...

THE GAME RESET ON ME! Literally all the minimaps for entire areas I had been meandering through were deleted and started from scratch! I had to refind my way around all over again.

I utterly lost all interest in the game at that point. I felt utterly defeated after wondering around what felt like half an hour or more without success on just doing the quest I was on. There was nothing to fight for anymore when the map reset on me.

I could have almost lived with the GIGANTIC DIABLO 2 LEVEL SIZED weapons. I could live with not getting every loot item back to town to get currency for. I could have even lived with the ridiculous yet interesting currency system. The talent tree looked super fascinating and I wanted to get into so badly. I wanted to like the game BUT YOU RESET THE MINIMAP..

utterly uncalled for

and to think the background gameplay almost tempted me to go back. neh. no can do slick.
05/20/2017 02:27 PMPosted by Esm
I dont think hes in a position to judge PoE or even compare them. Hes in Cruel difficulty. Nowhere near endgame maps, bosses, or getting decent gear. Its like judging D3 without touching rifts grifts bounties.

Well soon there will not be different difficulties. For the main campaign that is.
05/21/2017 08:45 PMPosted by LocknLoad
PoE is more hardcore?
If you mean they have dated, crappy graphics, clunky
uninspired combat, and a ridiculously complex
skill system, then ya.
In the video he is running in circles from the boss for a few
minutes, i guess some people like that kiting type of combat.
Doesn't matter how many acts they add, the game physics, your avatar,
and the polish, is way sub-par.
But keep telling yourself that you are hardcore, most of you
don't even play hardcore in D3.

1. You mean they don't have unlimited resources like D3? I'm sure if they had a 100 million dollar budget (or whatever this game had) they'd have better combat/graphics. Unfortunately being a indie studio doesn't afford you the best animator's in the world like Blizzard has.

2. LOL! This is the retarded Blizzard crowd that hasn't actually played the game. You probably saw a picture of the passive skill tree and decided "it's complex". Well sure it's more complex then not picking anything like D3, but 60% of the nodes you choose are going to be for life. People still refer to the game jokingly as path of life nodes for that reason. The size of the tree is really a facade. It's not nearly as complex as it looks. If you played it past level 5 you'd know that. And not to mention there are tons of builds, and many of them that are noob friendly that you can start with. Then once you're experienced enough you can make your own builds... Yes you can make your own unique builds that are viable for end game content.

3. The bosses in PoE can actually be a real challenge where you have to know the skills the bosses use, and know the best way to defeat them. Again you just saying "all it is, is kiting" is just more you proving to any PoE player that you don't play the game, you haven't gotten past lvl 5, but yet you still talk about the game like you have any idea what you're talking about. You don't have the brain power for PoE kid.

I'm so glad you left this post. It's just more of what I called out in another thread. Dumbasses that talk !@#$ about PoE without really knowing anything about the game beyond what google images tells them. It proves how insecure you are about the state of D3.

So go to the POE forums and ride tha d there?
05/22/2017 03:49 PMPosted by Choppywee

1. You mean they don't have unlimited resources like D3? I'm sure if they had a 100 million dollar budget (or whatever this game had) they'd have better combat/graphics. Unfortunately being a indie studio doesn't afford you the best animator's in the world like Blizzard has.

2. LOL! This is the retarded Blizzard crowd that hasn't actually played the game. You probably saw a picture of the passive skill tree and decided "it's complex". Well sure it's more complex then not picking anything like D3, but 60% of the nodes you choose are going to be for life. People still refer to the game jokingly as path of life nodes for that reason. The size of the tree is really a facade. It's not nearly as complex as it looks. If you played it past level 5 you'd know that. And not to mention there are tons of builds, and many of them that are noob friendly that you can start with. Then once you're experienced enough you can make your own builds... Yes you can make your own unique builds that are viable for end game content.

I'm so glad you left this post. It's just more of what I called out in another thread. Dumbasses that talk !@#$ about PoE without really knowing anything about the game beyond what google images tells them. It proves how insecure you are about the state of D3.

So go to the POE forums and ride tha d there?

Did I hurt your feelings?
I have never played PoE, but having watched videos of it, my concern is that it goes in the complete opposite direction of Diablo 3 - where Diablo 3 is very simplified, PoE is OVERLY and unnecessarily complex. Neither is optimal imho.

I actually like the look of Grim Dawn an awful lot, it's a pity it'll never come to console :(
Poes combat is garbage, literally primitive, 2002 style.

Poes itemization is better, but having garbage combat counters that so +1 -1 = 0

Also, just because someone streams dose not make them correct.
05/20/2017 01:48 PMPosted by tomwi65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDiT8WNMLI&t

Rhykker giving for the first time an honest Comparison between both games. love this guy vids.

I like the guy too but a little too late on this !@#$. Don't care.
D3>POE>Grim Dawn>Torchlight 2. All are good games. D3 is probably the best ARPG ever made. However it could have been so much better. The shortcomings of D3 are discussed hourly. While POE is sometimes hyped as a better game, and it is a great game, it actually has many of the same problems as D3. Once you get into the 90's in POE not only must you have the perfect build, but the perfect skill tree, with the perfect equipment which seems to be completely controlled by about 20 traders charging outrageous prices. I guess no game will be fun forever. It's just to bad that D3 could have kept the momentum going by improving the game and instead decided to milk the game for the last dollar they could get.