Critical Mass. I want you back

Wizard
Since CM was removed from the game there has been significant changes to the game. In particular, permanent freeze is not possible. Seems like bringing it back would not be OP. Reinstating it could bring back some fun mechanics for the wizard class. Thoughts?
Ive suggested this before, and couldnt find a way around this counterargument: What would CM do? We dont have the ApS to fuel crits, and dont have anywhere near enough APOC to fuel the APS even if we did.

Even with In geom active and 60%+ CDR, most of our cooldown skills arent worth spamming.
The passive of the century.

It really was op though, even in todays meta it would invalidate cooldown on gear and all sorts of things. If they neft the skill so that it doesnt proc like it used to then it would just become a useless passive in our skills list.

As much as we all loved it i think it was a smart move to remove it because to balance out its power so many other skills were nerfed to the ground.
I think we still havnt even seen those nerfed skills braught back to power since the cm days and thats a shame too.
Mmmm. Some valid points. I do believe the proc coefficients are still quite low.

I really thought that it would be an amazing passive in that it could replace the OrotZ. Ring slots are very valuable. Being able to have a passive that could be used to help with CDR for a build would be awesome. Perhaps too much so.

As to what it would provide? Perhaps it only works on primary skills? This would allow your primary skills to shine a bit more. I'm of the opinion that this is very much needed for the wizard class. By having it linked to your primary skills, it does not step on OrotZ's role. It would also prevent us from using it with Vyrs and getting no CD archon builds. Just a thought.

I imagine firing off some SB or MM attacks and using that to really fire up my explosive blasts! or molten impacts! Wouldn't have to have in-geom to generate all that mighty power. It would also provide the needed resource through the SoD belt.

thoughts?

Edit: might even find a wizard build with Shi Mizu's Haori
There's a ring that kinda does what cm does already - the obsidian ring. For wizards it would just be swapping out a ring slot for something while loosing a passive slot.
Im wondering if anyone has a legacy hellfire amulate with the cm passive ability on it. I wonder if it still does anything or has basically just become flavour text
Didn't hellfire amulets come out in RoS? I remember making the old rings.
RoS is legacy lol ;)
06/13/2017 10:04 PMPosted by aloc
Didn't hellfire amulets come out in RoS? I remember making the old rings.
Well, if my memory doesn't fool me:

Critical Mass was removed with Patch 2.01
Hellfire Amulets were added in Patch 2.1
I don't believe it would have the effect that we remember now. There aren't skills with proc coefficients high enough, and tied to APS, that would make it worth it.

Unless that's your argument - that in its neutered form, it couldn't do enough damage to the game to be a threat.

Which would then beg the question, "Why bring it back at all?"
I could see CM generating competitive Explosive Blast specs at around GR 100.

Since there is no item support or substantial damage from Diamond Shards and Shocking Aspect, it really comes down to Explosive Blast only IMO.

It would also be great for mobility in non-aether walker specs.

That's about it...
Actually I could see it with current Lightning Archon. Free up ring slot to CoE and AT SD could be pretty handy with high APS from Archon stacks for fast Archon reset. Remember - cooldown on Archon starts the moment you go into Archon, so CM will start shaving off cooldown even when you are in Archon form (0 cooldown Archon without In-geom?).
06/14/2017 10:00 AMPosted by Vox
I could see CM generating competitive Explosive Blast specs at around GR 100.

Since there is no item support or substantial damage from Diamond Shards and Shocking Aspect, it really comes down to Explosive Blast only IMO.

It would also be great for mobility in non-aether walker specs.

That's about it...

And without more than what, 12 APoC, how will we pay for EB? I vaguely remember using the CM eDPS calculator and seeing numbers like 102 AP spent per second. And if we're not gonna utilize DS...we've gotta fill the skill bar with something, and if said skills cost AP...
06/14/2017 11:14 AMPosted by Melkor
And without more than what, 12 APoC, how will we pay for EB? I vaguely remember using the CM eDPS calculator and seeing numbers like 102 AP spent per second. And if we're not gonna utilize DS...we've gotta fill the skill bar with something, and if said skills cost AP...

4/8 apoc, MW conduit, shame of dels belt https://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-shame-of-delsere + a few AP passives + siphoning blade?

Seems like a lot for limited gain. I agree with Vox that it could be interesting for non Aether walker builds.

They could always make the changes they used to "fix" spirit walk and Ortoz, where the cooldown reduction only starts after the skill ends.

Edit: I could see archon giving us the AS needed to make EB/cm builds work. You pop archon with swami while gathering mobs and the extra AS from 4pc vyr + shame of dels would enough to fuel it.

Resource is largely meaningless for Wizard these days, and not just because Archon doesn't interact with it. Some RCR and APOC are typically present in all specs without much sacrifice, and MW:Conduit will sub in at first sign of resource stress. Rarely do we need our real powerhouse spender spam tools like Cindercoat, Pride Fall, Power of the Storm, and Prism.

A few CDR/Zodiac EB specs using spender + EB spam can run into issues, but CM + Prism would put all issues to bed very quickly, especially if using channeling. Prism is insane for channeling and EB.

Alternatively, just go resource gen with a generator, Prodigy, and Shame of Delsere (enabling Arcane Dynamo). Impossible to drain AP.
Critical Mass would benefit current lightning archon build much more than any other wiz build. Archon resets would be instant with its high attack speed.

We wouldn't need any CDR on gear (could replace it with avg damage on rings and amulet, elite damage on weapon and offhand, gogok gem with bane of the trapped), no Evocation passive (replaced with Crititical Mass passive).

More Swami overlap, more coe lightning cycles across whole rift.
The only issue i see with todays resource managment is that it relys on a primary or a support skill like conduit.

I think the idea (at least one that i always had) was to only use spenders with your ap being refilled by itself through rcr or by proc. I am of course thinking along the lines of running any main bomb like meteors, winds, eb or a channel spell along with another main like blizzard, bubble, meteor+winds, aorbit with eb and blizzard for example.

That is always my goal, never use/see a primary on my skillbar. Its tricky to play oldschool like that and maintain fluid ap. Etched sigis goea a long way in helping me play like that, bit its stuck to chabnrl builds.

Still, i think frozen storm might be worth revisiting.
06/14/2017 04:29 PMPosted by Vox

Resource is largely meaningless for Wizard these days, and not just because Archon doesn't interact with it. Some RCR and APOC are typically present in all specs without much sacrifice, and MW:Conduit will sub in at first sign of resource stress. Rarely do we need our real powerhouse spender spam tools like Cindercoat, Pride Fall, Power of the Storm, and Prism.

A few CDR/Zodiac EB specs using spender + EB spam can run into issues, but CM + Prism would put all issues to bed very quickly, especially if using channeling. Prism is insane for channeling and EB.

Alternatively, just go resource gen with a generator, Prodigy, and Shame of Delsere (enabling Arcane Dynamo). Impossible to drain AP.

No need for that - APoC+AT:SD+Hergbrasha's should refill you pretty quickly. On top of that if you use Sigil you can double spam EB.
Sleet storm, eb, sigil and maybe like wicked wind or blizzard or aorbit. Channel like you mean it with woh in cube, some ranslors and other supporting items for your spenders.

You can channel forever while eb and stuff gets spammed out and occasionally hardcast to support. Teleport to move with the tp wand and bobs your uncle.... In theory at least
Some pretty cool points being made. Even if it doesn't bring about a ton of game changes for the class, it's still better than many many of the other passives. So why not? I'd have a ton of fun trying to make builds with critical mass.

I'm pretty sure it might need to be tied to skill categories that exclude archon. Unless they address the swami/ facula imbalance.

Having critical mass back brings an avenue where we could build in new game play options. Something like: while diamond skin is active you deal 100% more dmg. Just an idea. Would have to make it so that archon doesn't work its' way in though...