Critical Mass. I want you back

Wizard
I can already feel my wrist getting sore just thinking about it.
06/15/2017 03:11 PMPosted by KillerElite

CM get you that excited??? ;)
06/16/2017 06:10 AMPosted by aloc
06/15/2017 03:11 PMPosted by KillerElite

Oh yeah! It's right up there with a root canal ;)
lol, it's fun to think about it but i still doubt it's worth without unbalancing the game. If it's all about proc coefs we will go down the same path as before and if procs get nerfed the game feels week.
I'm guessing if you changed it to only proc off of primaries it might be ok.
06/18/2017 03:19 PMPosted by aloc
I'm guessing if you changed it to only proc off of primaries it might be ok.
I remember when Living Lightning was a thing.
I quit playing the day after this patch came out, been trying to work around it.

Honestly the game isn't fun anymore. Thank you blizzard all my gear is now acc bound and useless. 100hours of my time wasted.
06/16/2017 08:13 AMPosted by KillerElite
06/16/2017 06:10 AMPosted by aloc

Oh yeah! It's right up there with a root canal ;)
I was thinking right up there with eating Taco Bell before a long drive without access to Pepto.
06/13/2017 02:28 PMPosted by Gbrav13
Ive suggested this before, and couldnt find a way around this counterargument: What would CM do? We dont have the ApS to fuel crits, and dont have anywhere near enough APOC to fuel the APS even if we did.

Even with In geom active and 60%+ CDR, most of our cooldown skills arent worth spamming.

You!
This is pure speculation, but I think the reason Critical Mass was removed was not necessarily because it was considered "Over Powered". I think it was more of the fact of how it made you play.

You either had to:
A - Spam your keyboard non-stop or,
B - And this is probably the main reason, use macros or AutoHotKey to automate that spamming process, which I know Blizzard really doesn't like people using.

I used Critical Mass build and my fingers got so tired for hitting 1,2,3,4 constantly, that I installed AutoHotKey to do that work for me.

I just don't think Blizzard likes this kind of spammy, macro-style gameplay. When people have to start making macros, I think it makes them antsy and nervous.

Just my thought though. Otherwise it was a fun build.
10/22/2018 11:16 AMPosted by TardarSauce

I used Critical Mass build and my fingers got so tired for hitting 1,2,3,4 constantly, that I installed AutoHotKey to do that work for me.

I just don't think Blizzard likes this kind of spammy, macro-style gameplay. When people have to start making macros, I think it makes them antsy and nervous.

I might buy that if it weren't for the fact that every build that Blizzard themselves tries to promote with their set mechanics is spamming something constantly to maintain a buff.

-------------

CM coming back would be interesting.

-dolynick
Critical Mass coming back would rather nice (although I'm sure it'll be a nerfed version instead of the original).
10/22/2018 11:16 AMPosted by TardarSauce
This is pure speculation, but I think the reason Critical Mass was removed was not necessarily because it was considered "Over Powered". I think it was more of the fact of how it made you play.

You either had to:
A - Spam your keyboard non-stop or,
B - And this is probably the main reason, use macros or AutoHotKey to automate that spamming process, which I know Blizzard really doesn't like people using.

Just my thought though. Otherwise it was a fun build.

Nope.

It was taken out of the game because it offered perma CC, which invalidated the game’s structure. It would be like playing Tetris with infinite time to make decisions...you’d never lose.

I was a part of that conversation with Blizzard, primarily with Wyett and he told me that the problem was with the perma CC aspect of Critical Mass. He stated that his choices were to either completely nerf all proc rates or remove the passive.

It’s ironic that they ultimately did both.

@dolynick - Even CM being brought back wouldn’t bring you back to this game and you know it.

They killed this game for us long ago.
Vizjerei is long gone. Long live Vizjerei!

11/29/2018 10:46 AMPosted by Melkor
@dolynick - Even CM being brought back wouldn’t bring you back to this game and you know it.

Auction house feelings ? Or just that the math of the game became "meh" ?

How is the retirement on that island working for you, my friend ? :)

@Melkor
If it did come back, I would not be expecting the return of SNS or anything like that. The game has changed in a bunch of fundamental ways that likely wouldn't result in CM being as arguably game breaking as it was.

I see it more as a utility thing. Stuff like possible freedom from AW and Illusionist. Molten Impact maybe finally being somewhat useful. Diamond Skin evolving into a viable source of defence for wizards. Etc, etc.

Would it bring me back (in a significant way)? Probably not... maybe a bit. And yeah, the reasons I wandered away aren't really about CM and it's return or not. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't possibly open up some potentially interesting things though.

-dolynick
Critical Mass was an elegant weapon for a more civilized age

It was a different, more precise, and MUCH slower game back when frost nova was op/imba and critical mass was breaking fingaz. (shout out to Melkor, I still remember)

There was so much more spreadsheet work back then and so many more mysteries we had to use math, trial and error, speculation and experimentation to unlock.

They took a calculus proof and turned it into a balance sheet. More damage, more mit, reduce cooldowns by X for perma whatever. The game is less elegant now for sure, but also a bit less punishing.

Modern D3 just plain isn't slow enough for CC to matter anymore, at least not like it did. MAYBE for rift guardians CC would be OP, but how would a SNS wiz even make it to the guardian? We would be fishing for density worse than any other class.
12/05/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Shaggy
It was a different, more precise, and MUCH slower game back when frost nova was op/imba and critical mass was breaking fingaz. (shout out to Melkor, I still remember)

Some remember. Some still have the videos.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csLXkpkeiP4&list=PLz9cSZXqqeD-GveJ2h8366TRmOt4icNjJ&index=3

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFUwgttsQ4&index=4&list=PLz9cSZXqqeD-GveJ2h8366TRmOt4icNjJ

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6hjUCBVFKU&index=5&list=PLz9cSZXqqeD-GveJ2h8366TRmOt4icNjJ

Part 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY1zyPDKeDY&index=6&list=PLz9cSZXqqeD-GveJ2h8366TRmOt4icNjJ

Enjoy.