Memory Leak/VERY high RAM usage.

Technical Support
I had been playing for around 10 minutes, and have noticed SOME problems with latency, and speed retrieving info from the database for character list, and inventory (A few seconds, to around 30 seconds). This is not a problem with my internet connection, I have already ruled that out (experienced tech professional, qualified). Diablo 3 also crashed (Windows error), due to RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY. I checked the useage, and Diablo 3 was using 5.5 gigabytes RAM for the primary executable (Diablo 3 retail). I was playing a public game, with 2-3 other Necros, in a rift, in a bounty room, and we had just closed the rift; I brought up the map, and started to TP to Leorics Manner Courtyard to search for XP pool, and the system crashed out before bringing up the level.

My system is-
Intel 2500K, slight overclock, power saving options off
Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance RAM 8gb, XMS profile
Gigabyte Z77 board with latest OEM BIOS (UEFI)
Samsung 850EVO SSD - Stock Drivers & firmware, no OEM software loaded
Gigabyte 970 WF3 GPU (no overclock or "tweaks")
Sound Blaster X-Fi - Basic Drivers (was using HDMI sound to monitor in THIS instance, but Processor still active with drivers running)
Logitech mouse drivers WITHOUT the "control software" installed, just basic drivers
no "bling" (rgb, or "gaming" accessories / software)
Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit, SP1 with latest updates as of mid-may this year
Firefox with YouTube running in background
Nothing remarkable in Windows error log besides the O.O.M. Error
No other "non-essential" processes running
No Anti-Virus loaded

Hope this helps you narrow down the problems that seemed to pop up with latest patch, at least a little. If you need more info, please let me know.
Howdy!

This may be due to the game caching data such as different maps you're loading while playing so it loads faster the next time around. You can see this in Adventure mode when switching between quests and acts, the longer you play in one game. With the system only having 8GB of ram it sounds like you are really running out of memory. The question is if this is a bug or not. We do not have any outstanding memory leaks active. Our goal would be to reduce the game's memory though troubleshooting so you can get back to playing! Then we will cover bug reporting this.

Step 1) We want to ensure the Blizzard app isn't adding to this issue. Clear your Blizzard App's cache and files following the steps Here. Note: When you get to step 6, delete both the Blizzard Entertainment and Battle.net folders. Don't run the game yet.

Step 2) Goto your Documents Folder -> Delete the Diablo III folder at this location. This will reset your client back to default settings.

Run the Blizzard app -> You may need to locate the game again, the default location is C:\Program files(x86)\. Goto the Blizzard logo at the top left -> Drop down to: Settings -> General -> WHEN I LAUNCH A GAME -> Change the drop down to: Exit the Blizzard app completely. Done.

Now retest the game. If the issue continues to occur try the following troubleshooting steps:

Step 3) Run the system in Selective Startup this is to clear up your system resources. Retest while in Selective Startup and all background programs closed down. If the issue occurs again move to step 4.

Step 4) Run the 32bit client to limit the amount of ram the game will utilize. See if the error continues.

Let us know if the issue continues!

I do not see 5.5GB as a direct bug and with 8GB's of system ram it really is possible you are running out of ram. I would still recommend to let our QA and Developers figure this out as they would know the true goal of what they want to keep the game's total usage around. If the steps above do help you resolve this issue, it's still worth posting on our Bug Report forums. I'd recommend to add the following:

- How long does it take to reach 5.5gbs?
- Does it occur if you have a large number of Necromancer's in your party only? What about other characters or no Necromancers at all?

Thank you!
Considering 8gb is twice the recommended amount, and four times minimum, do you not consider that a problem if it is too little? The 5.5 GB was relevant, due to the fact the game normally only runs between 2.8 and 3.5 GB while playing. I also don't need a lesson on "what causes a game to use memory" (notice the "qualified" part of the post). A memory leak, is when a program doesn't clear memory it doesn't need anymore correctly, in order to free "space" for its future needs. This is what CAUSES a system to run out of memory, which YES, is what is happening here, and has only been an issue since the patch (have a look at how much I play this game, and hundreds of hours over the last weeks I have to compare the before/after to. I also stated it was about ten minutes into the game.
Howdy Gerff!

This is the Technical Support forum. It's important to note we troubleshoot and gather data here which is what we are doing. We don't handle bugs nor am I seeing a large flex of reports of this issue. If you believe you found a bug my troubleshooting should help resolve the issue or help avoid the game crashing while you report this on our Bug Report forums.

Thanks!
I apologize for the "outburst", I was getting frustrated. This problem, could be the same one, and a bit closer to what the actual problem is underneath it all. Bad memory management will cause EVERY problem I am seeing in these forums right now. I have cleared all the temp files and cache, and I am going to try to run the game again here in a few minutes. I will let you know how it goes. If you would like crash logs if it doesn't, let me know.
Didn't help.
I am having the same issue. Doing the things they suggested as well.
same issue and I'm running 16gb of ram, never had a problem until season 10 ended
Same issue - though I'm running 12GB of ram so it didn't start to be noticeable until about 1.5 hours into game play and by 3 hours my machine was giving me warnings (which I ignored to see what would happen) and at 3.5 hours I was staring at my desktop and had to restart the computer to restore operation. No point in denying there's a problem. Start running the tests yourselves....
Having this same issue myself and this just started once the new season kicked off. I've played this game for years on windows 8.1 and 10 without issue. I've got 16GB of ram and this game used nearly all of it after an hour or so playing. this has happened 4 times now.
I've also started seeing this problem lately. Usually while adventuring with a couple other Necros. I have 16Gb of ram and never had a problem before but lately it's been almost every game ~10-20 minutes in that it comes up. Usually the game continues and I just have to tell Windows to ignore it but sometimes the game outright crashes. I'll try these fixes when I get home.
Ive posted many times lately about my pc crashing after 10 or so minutes of playing diablo trying to find similarities between my issues and others... How do I check the amount of ram usage?
Just a thought, it should be asked if affected players are running "legit" / activated windows 7, 8, or 10. Some may have disabled required windows services or are using windows "lite" versions.
It's not a problem of "legit" windows users or windows lite. It's a Battle.net problem because I'm having problems logging into D3. I'm currently sitting at position 137 in the queue but my number isn't going down.

Blizzard needs to make a function in the game to kick anyone that's idle for 15 minutes that CANNOT be turned off by the user. This includes WoW.

I was playing fine last night for about 6 hours with no memory issues. I'm running a custom gaming laptop that automatically updates itself...I call it Skynet.

Anyways, Blizz has an issue with the authentication server and should be checking on it 30 minutes ago.
its the same old story always assume its the customers fault not the providers. very lame non customer oriented way to do things and will cost them in the long run.
I stand corrected. I was able to log in finally after waiting 30 minutes.
I have a 5th Gen i5 and 8GB RAM. I have been running diablo 3 for years now and the only time I have ever had a game consume all my RAM resulting in a windows popup warning is patch 2.6.0. I am running the x64 client, but again this has been fine until patch 2.6.0. I work with a development team and I am telling you now, its a memory leak. Diablo 3 x64 does not need a system with more than 8GB ram to run in an optimal way. Come on DEVs, lets clean that code.

LOL - clean code, thats such a 90's thing... Or even 80's... Damn I'm old :)

Also, the Blizz post to the link for clearing the App cache is dead.
07/27/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Raptor
Blizzard needs to make a function in the game to kick anyone that's idle for 15 minutes that CANNOT be turned off by the user

Agree. Heroes of the Storm kicks if idle.
im getting the same issue. game stutters lots. started with necro patch and has gotten worse with s11. tried all the common fixes and it has gotten worse. im now having issues connecting to game servers and crome was force closed with an error message saying out of memory. i have 16 gb and with d3 running and crome open i get no higher than 60% total usage.