"The majority of the player base hated the AH"

General Discussion
I keep seeing this, why?

The reason you see so many downvotes on the AH threads are because the majority of players who liked trading and the AH quit...as in they don't check the forums anymore.

In fact before the release of 2.0 there were many threads about not taking out Trading/AH.

I distinctly remember one straw poll with around 2,200 votes. These were the results.
1. 9% - Keep game as it is with RMAH, GAH and trading
2. 11% - Keep trading, remove both AH
3. 36% - Remove trading altogether
4. 44% - Keep GAH and trading, remove RMAH

When people say "the majority of the player base was in favor of BoA" I really want to know where they got this information from.

I never used the RMAH but I would rather it have stayed in the game so that Blizzard could earn more of a profit off Diablo. Because games that make money are updated much more than games that don't.
Not to mention that trading was a huge part of Diablo 2.
A lot of people liked the idea of the auction house.

Most people didn't like how the game was balanced in a way that resulted in farming for weeks for a single legendary drop that likely wasn't for your class and being forced to sell it in order to buy something you could actually use.

It was quite clear the game was designed in a way that made the auction house mandatory.

Good riddance.
They very well could have done Bind on Equip to keep the AH and economy fresh. Or you can equip any item you find, but any item you buy or trade, is Bind on Equip.

Also, could have had RMAH and GAH for Non-seasons, and in seasons had ONLY GAH... Or NO AH for seasons (so noone cried about cheating from people who bought 3rd party gold.. or they could have just aggressively banned people who did that, with more staff/security they could hire from having a consistent revenue from the non-season RMAH.. etc..)

Thats my thoughts.. I miss it. I didn't mind it.
Also, frogg626... The people who liked it were busy playing the game (or the AH's lol) and not on the forums complaining. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.
General consensus was what dropped in game was directly tied to what was in the AH. If it was buyable it didn't drop, plus no one played the game, they just bought stuff on the AH and then flipped it onto the RMAH for cash
Personally I would love to go back pre-reaper-of-souls with the auction houses. But thats mainly because items were actually rare back then, and they didn't give a character *4 damage output. So they werent a requirement, but your character did benefit from them.

06/27/2017 02:43 AMPosted by MakDog
They very well could have done Bind on Equip to keep the AH and economy fresh. Or you can equip any item you find, but any item you buy or trade, is Bind on Equip.

How about binding to account after +/- 3 hours or so? You can only trade within the first 3 hours after finding. That will definately keep the AH fresh.
The ah itself wasnt the problem; the extremly low legendary droprates connected to it were the problem. That really forced people to use the ah wether they liked or not for there was no other way to establish functional competitive builds.
06/27/2017 02:57 AMPosted by NINEGRAVES
The ah itself wasnt the problem; the extremly low legendary droprates connected to it were the problem.

That, and the flipping.

And the gold farmers - sellers.

And the resulting inflation that hamstrung everyone who wanted to wear something other than poorly rolled rares but couldn't afford it with the gold he earned through legit gameplay.

Thing is, the way the game works now, there's no reason to buy anything from anyone. And it's good.

The AH flipping could be stopped by limiting the number of times an item can change owners. Binds to you as soon as you won the auction.
But all the flippers would make up the most heart-rending stories and cry to undo this safety feature, and we'd be back to square one:

Someone who doesn't need to farm for gold gets access to infinite gold, starts controlling the market, inflation, real players screwed.

And if anything, the past years proved that while botters DO get banned time and time again, their presence cannot be eliminated. Infinite gold, inflation, same story.

Simply put, the concept of trading does not work with Diablo 3. Because of you, dear botters, and AH flippers. And flipper bots. And the more vocal is someone about wanting that system back, the more certain I am that he is one of them.
Legendary Items were irrelevant anyways back in the days. It was the stats attached to the items that matters: How does a Legendary XBOW with INT and VIT appeal to a DH?

AH was a way for people to pick the proper gears instead of loot hunt.

I personally spent half the time playing the game then after earning half a million gold, buy an upgrade at AH. rinse repeat. I find that rewarding. To each his own.
Very true, OP. Good post!

Also, some good points here. I think limiting competition, ultimately removes the flippers/web-resellers ability to dominate the AH. Once an item goes up for sale/trade, the owner can't remove or change the sale for 24hrs. This severely disables competition, as changing demand/availability is what truly sets pricing.
06/27/2017 02:40 AMPosted by DeadlyGrouse

Most people didn't like how the game was balanced in a way that resulted in farming for weeks for a single legendary drop that likely wasn't for your class and being forced to sell it in order to buy something you could actually use.

It was quite clear the game was designed in a way that made the auction house mandatory.

Good riddance.

Well said
06/27/2017 04:17 AMPosted by lv426

Good riddance.

Well said

Yeah, but its also what the OP said, just differently. I took a long hiatus from D3 and only came back when RoS landed with this acct. I left because Blizz made it clear they wanted to work on various issues and removed the AH as part of that. I was firmly in the camp of, "fix the AH first". Those that just displayed an extreme intolerance toward the AH, never bothered me. Its not like I can pick'em up by the ankles and slap'em against a wall, is it! ~ j/k :D
I would like to have AH back. Will be very cool to be able to buy level 90 gems and not spending my whole life upgrading them to enforce armors.
but the problem is the economy, there are players with 100000000000000000... gold.
The economy shall be reset before vringing back AH.

Good riddance.

All this being said (and very true) the game would not make the AH mandatory now.

So why not bring it back or have it in a future version of the game?
06/27/2017 02:57 AMPosted by NINEGRAVES
The ah itself wasnt the problem; the extremly low legendary droprates connected to it were the problem. That really forced people to use the ah wether they liked or not for there was no other way to establish functional competitive builds.

No, it was the extremely low drop rates coupled with the horrible RNG of loot rolls.

When a Barb got an Int 2 hand, it was crap, and you just spent hours, got excited, only to find a useless item for you.

It was stated above that the game was built to use the AH, thats the problem.

An AH should be added as an extra feature, not THEE feature when getting proper gear. Many of us would rather farm for our loot than trade for it, and this was not an option in Vanilla D3.

With low drop rates and SMART loot, I feel the AH would be quite a bit better. But with the insane drop rates now and the AH, I think it would be in a good spot. Many items would not sell, but when you are a Witch Doctor in season and you get that Ancient Manald Heal ring, or even Primal, being able to sell it to a player who can actually use it would feel very fulfilling to me personally, and I think to many of you as well!
Ah was removed bcuz third party websites started making lots of money over bliz, im sure some financial officer considered what to do and weighed best possibilities. im glad its gone. im glad it wont come back. ...I know most players who you say "liked the ah" havent comeback for the reason that they bought into a system which stole their money. &its gone bc blizzard werent the ppl gaining money from this.

Back then Gold was a B**** to farm...And when mats were hard to get... one of the most expensive digital items bought for real money was sold in thousands (2k on ebay).. to sum shmuck who prob wants his money back by now or stopped playing diablo... basically that item now is a common legn "Bloodbrother" i beleive was item...

Anyways, Games has changed.. times has changed... new players, my self (i consider my self a veteran).. still have fun, and id argue they have more fun NOW because a p2w system isnt blocking their path. only hundreds of paragons.

The game is at a good place with legendary item drop rates ie from khadala or boss, and I shouldnt have to mention the GOOD crafting rng that makes the exceedingly rare items attainable after a material collection followed by depletion currently...

here is my rhetorical question to you, why bring a p2w system back now, after new rng and crafting system had more then effectively replaced that old one for all players?

My guess is maybe u need a timesaver? dont want to spend hrs of farming? so maybe u lack mats needed for crafting or attaining items the only way that makes sense to now... just to continue speculating i think ur "ideal ah" might sell mats rly cheaply (idea ill return to).. an abandoned idea dosent need to be recreated to give a slight time saver to most players/increase revenue. SO DONT SUGGEST IT.. community was already damaged once by ah, and heavily at that, to do it again, is F*****stupid...Also when i think of a diablo game, i thnk of a loot mode game, a REWARDING SLASHER maybe one with crafting but either way the items are attainable to avg players, and the strong ones are rare, but still realistically attainable. The AH concepts, and all its limitations, dosent fit the diablo world, because most ah items are impossible to get. and in the diablo world, items are possible to get.

Additionally, AH would require a currency or smth to be exchanged for item.. if gold isnt the currency thats broken now, then there needs to be a new one (one that built by bliz to profit). or items would be priced prob in billions (and bliz wont be gaining money)..Not to mention the ability to trade items regardless of boe is already in the game, just only for xhrs, and trading locked to those members in party at time of items drop but not before identification.

***>>>>Better idea, bliz why not just make timesaver packs (for crafting materials), or stimpacks like from heros of the storm concept to diablos 3 shop? Something in blizz client shop which VERY MARGINALLY effect rng, exp, loot find, etc and is bought for rather then recreate usless ah (idea which was already abandoned and impacted everyone in the community negatively). OR EVEN BETTER BETTER IDEA: share storage slots in guilds, to give each other crafting materials, and other crafting items. Two players farming=better than 1

my conclusion, now you can get gold in millions really quickly and because of crafting, or the value of 'other' materials, increases because thats what makes the item. Ah would be a NO LONGER NEEDED SYSTEM that likely breaks its only competitive leadder in the game at this point (leaderboards)... to the point where i think everyone would have full primal builds, bc its affordable, no gameplay experience, and my personal fav foreshadow here, of course players then wont understand how to get the item/ what POTENTIAL the items is suppose to REWARD you with and complain that 90grs are too easy for a paragon lvl100.... puzzel ring become inflated in price bc everyone needs billions of gold.

dear anyone who cares at blizzard.. Please never ever bring ah back to the game or its universe.. an abandoned/ retracted idea for a universe was abandoned for dam fine reasons. never bring it back.. only thing its good for is ruining community competition leaderboards, feeding third parties with REAL MONEY who yeild intelligent ai botting scripts, and weakening the value of the most sought for items (CRAFTING MATERIALS). ........ &Never even consider ah to be good for this game now.
06/27/2017 02:45 AMPosted by Steve
General consensus was what dropped in game was directly tied to what was in the AH.

The old tinfoil hat theory.
They didn't even need that kind of 'live monitoring'... drop rates and roll range/disparity just sucked and the rest was simply a consequence.
They thought they were in for the easy money but 3rd parties ate them alive. Justice, in some way.
06/27/2017 04:50 AMPosted by RDxKa0s
here is my rhetorical question to you, why bring a p2w system back now, after new rng and crafting system had more then effectively replaced that old one for all players?

ANSWER: Because it wouldn't BE a P2W system as the game stands now and yer an enormous cuck, if you fall for over-inflated prices. Most won't do.

Heres a better rhetorical question: "Why are so many people against the idea of trade, if its not your thing and theres plenty of options for you now"? ~ C'mown! I know what the answers gonna be, ready for it people! ;)
RMAH = i am out.

gold AH why? no one realy need gold anymore and it is easy to farm when u farm GR kys.

trading ? why? streamers have devoted fans that will ship all there goodies to them!! after 1 day u have a streamer in full primal or close to primal roll items!!

game is fine the way it is atm trading wise!!!!
When players were bragging with proof; were making 100k real money.
although it was easy come easy go, in every case.

But remember back then, the drop chance was much worse than it is today.
People were paying real money for yellows, that had strong usable stats.
Back then there was no set gear, and the gear that did drop; the stats had no
uniformity ... soo rare to get a usable legendary. Like you would need 1000 players
looking for your loot.