thorn necro build?

General Discussion
do thorns apply with your minions if you have hack?
is spear if jaito viable?

Heart of iron?
Sanguinarin Bracers?

is there any good 70+ builds for this?
So far my tests say no hack does not work. I know the bracers work. I don't think hack works even with the gem to taunt. The build I have is just crap past T4. The skeletons do get the 200% thorns but they always die in 20 or so hits anyway.
I think Inarius could do 70+ with thorns, though from the limited testing I've done, it isn't the thorns doing most of your damage.

That said, your minions do not proc the thorns damage from Hack (I tested this day one and was quite disappointed given the minion thorns passive). I've never tested Spear of Jairo, so I can't say for certain, but I think it'll probably be overshadowed by more consistent damage increases from Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang and Reilena's Shadowhook.

Heart of Iron works for Necro yes. Exactly how valuable it is will depend on how much thorns damage you have without it and what your other armor slot options for the cube are. My testing used it, although I think for meaningful progression you might be better off with Aquila's or something that procs Krysbin's full damage increase.
07/15/2017 07:23 PMPosted by JaredB
I think Inarius could do 70+ with thorns, though from the limited testing I've done, it isn't the thorns doing most of your damage.

That said, your minions do not proc the thorns damage from Hack (I tested this day one and was quite disappointed given the minion thorns passive). I've never tested Spear of Jairo, so I can't say for certain, but I think it'll probably be overshadowed by more consistent damage increases from Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang and Reilena's Shadowhook.

Heart of Iron works for Necro yes. Exactly how valuable it is will depend on how much thorns damage you have without it and what your other armor slot options for the cube are. My testing used it, although I think for meaningful progression you might be better off with Aquila's or something that procs Krysbin's full damage increase.

I don't know if thorn is doing damage from corpse explosion.Not getting anything from hack to the skeletons. With Boyarsky's the taunt is not effect probably because the skeletons taunt? I really don't know.
The thorns applied is effect on the bracers if mobs hit the player and the 200% is being applied to pets BUT the damage right now is crap without a set on.
The Boyarsky's taunt will not count for attacks made by your skeletons or other minions; it's only effective for attacks made by you, and then only for the first target hit. It should be augmenting your Corpse Explosion damage; you may need to turn on your white damage numbers to see it since I think by default only criticals get floating number text and thorns damage can't crit.

Like I said, you'll probably need the Inarius effect to really make thorns damage shine. You can check my necro here https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaredB-1399/hero/90350492; I've cleared up to 56 or something with that in about 5:30. It can obviously go higher, but it did start slowing down after 53, so it'll be good at least up to T13. As near as I can tell my thorns base damage is about 1.2 Billion, I've seen it get up to 6.56 Billion during Physical CoE boosts.
07/15/2017 07:48 PMPosted by JaredB
The Boyarsky's taunt will not count for attacks made by your skeletons or other minions; it's only effective for attacks made by you, and then only for the first target hit. It should be augmenting your Corpse Explosion damage; you may need to turn on your white damage numbers to see it since I think by default only criticals get floating number text and thorns damage can't crit.

Like I said, you'll probably need the Inarius effect to really make thorns damage shine. You can check my necro here https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaredB-1399/hero/90350492; I've cleared up to 56 or something with that in about 5:30. It can obviously go higher, but it did start slowing down after 53, so it'll be good at least up to T13. As near as I can tell my thorns base damage is about 1.2 Billion, I've seen it get up to 6.56 Billion during Physical CoE boosts.

Yeah, LOL okay you have 972 paragon which my necro has 475.

Here is the thing with thorns. I have SC monk with inna's set and blackthorns set with boyarsky's, mirniae and wreath of lightening, uses heart of iron, hack and sanguinary. Her DPS is 490K, has 40 mil toughness and 3 mil recovery and she clears level 38 GR in under 8 minutes without dying and most of time one shots trash mobs.
The necromancer right now does not have a set on. Has 470K DPS, 11 mil toughness and under 1 mil recovery . I have pieces in stash of several sets but don't see why I should use them since the gear she is wearing has higher DPS. Been running T4 normal riffs and just barely able to survive.
By comparison to the monk it is like necromancer clears T2 about at the same rate but is just squishy as heck.
So to me it seems that thorns is probably not a good selection until maybe later.
here is another question.is there a viable follower build? i mean using the ashearas set ofcourse.
Wow Silentsword I was interested and curious about thorns necro but that testing is just depressing. I think I will stick to Invoker sader for thorns craving and run t13 rifts in 90 seconds thanks.
07/15/2017 08:18 PMPosted by Beau
Wow Silentsword I was interested and curious about thorns necro but that testing is just depressing. I think I will stick to Invoker sader for thorns craving and run t13 rifts in 90 seconds thanks.

You will be better off doing so.
Oh, I am also working on a thorns crusader as a comparison test.
07/15/2017 08:07 PMPosted by SilentSword

The necromancer right now does not have a set on.

Well there's your problem right there. Sheet DPS is meaningless. The Inarius 6-set gives you 2750% increased damage, thorns included. You should also be aware that since thorns can't crit, a lot of the stat increases on your usual gear are meaningless. The usual trifecta gives way to Attack Speed and Area Damage. I promise, a thorns necro can do at least GR 60, and probably even 70. Exactly how high will just depend your skill as a player and how well you optimize your gear.
07/15/2017 08:32 PMPosted by JaredB

Well there's your problem right there. Sheet DPS is meaningless. The Inarius 6-set gives you 2750% increased damage, thorns included. You should also be aware that since thorns can't crit, a lot of the stat increases on your usual gear are meaningless. The usual trifecta gives way to Attack Speed and Area Damage. I promise, a thorns necro can do at least GR 60, and probably even 70. Exactly how high will just depend your skill as a player and how well you optimize your gear.

I will put the set on and check it out.
From an older thread:

Guy named Vincent got to 95 with bone armor set and a thorns build in beta, there is a spear that buffs thorns 15% for every cursed monster. His build takes a lot of patience, wide open maps for higher grifts, and lots of herding.
Got to pull groups together for mass curses then the bracer pops off a ton o damage.

Cube the spear, use the hack and sanguine bracer.

I tried it, it's a fast t13 farmer regardless of map roll, but higher grifts take patience and open maps. Got a 12 min 80, could go higher with more fishing, but him hitting 95 with it took some great effort.

It's also kind of a hybrid, because you can still apply damage
from corpse lance and other skills, it's not a pure zero CC/CHD thorn build.

The necro thorn passive needs to be fixed, his build doesn't even use it because
thorns and pet synergy is so bad, I hope they rethink the thorns passive for necro.
07/15/2017 11:11 PMPosted by BraveSirRobn

The necro thorn passive needs to be fixed, his build doesn't even use it because
thorns and pet synergy is so bad, I hope they rethink the thorns passive for necro.

I think the best thing would be allowing pets to proc your on-hit effects at a reduced rate. Maybe 50% of your normal or some such thing.
Otherwise, you could have the thorns passive function similarly to the Crusader or Barbarian passives.
07/15/2017 08:32 PMPosted by JaredB

I got the set through the blood shards and tried it out. At first I was like wth level 22 griff was kicking me around pretty good then I used the bone armor and it was a whole different story.

Anyway, thanks! I will do some testing now.
07/15/2017 11:51 PMPosted by SilentSword

No problem, glad I could help. Feel free to let me know if you need help in-game. I'll be glad to give a hand there even if I'm still mad at Blizz and on quasi-strike from the game right now.

@BraveSirRobin, I don't suppose you could find a link to the guy's profile do you? I'd love to see his setup if he's still running it.
07/16/2017 12:00 AMPosted by JaredB
07/15/2017 11:51 PMPosted by SilentSword

No problem, glad I could help. Feel free to let me know if you need help in-game. I'll be glad to give a hand there even if I'm still mad at Blizz and on quasi-strike from the game right now.

@BraveSirRobin, I don't suppose you could find a link to the guy's profile do you? I'd love to see his setup if he's still running it.

Can't remember his exact name was Vincent then something else with a V, they shut down the beta forum and I can't access any of my old posts that he was chatting in. Haven't tried to recreate it since I had it in the beta.

I may fool around with it again and see if I can recreate it.
Haven't seen Vincent around since the beta though, thought
he might reappear in the 90s with it again.
They should just let Hack work with minions too and be done with it.
Finished gr 105 with thorns build
My paragon is 1570.
It works incredible, better than Rathma if you know how to play it.
You can find my videos about gears settings and plays in Youtube
07/15/2017 07:11 PMPosted by SynGreis
do thorns apply with your minions if you have hack?
is spear if jaito viable?

Heart of iron?
Sanguinarin Bracers?

is there any good 70+ builds for this?

If you've played D3 for any length of time, you should know by now that over 50% of the legendaries in game have no purpose at max level. Some of the Necro gear is no different.

Just more goofy items from a goofy dev team.