I 100% don't like the top neco build

Necromancer
07/13/2017 08:44 AMPosted by Zombeaver
I don't like the Trag's build either - it's why I decided to make something else. I don't enjoy the playstyle of only running from elite to elite and twiddling my thumbs between long cooldowns at all. That's not saying it's not strong, just that it's incredibly unfun to play (for me at least). Even if it remains the absolute "best" build available for leaderboard pushing, I'm not going to play it because it just feels awful.

I made an Inarius build that uses Trag's Fang + Iron Rose (Shadowhook cubed) and Corpse Lance and no Land of the Dead. It's not turbo-mega-godmode or anything, but it's clearing GR 80 in 6ish minutes and, most importantly, it's fun to play.

If you're curious:

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpSVBfLkyU0

Guide: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/92362-inarius-novalancer-post-hotfix

With Borrowed Time and close to 60% CDR, there's not a whole lot of time between cooldowns and the actual killing phase is the only time when you can sort of exhale. It's definitely the least stressful.

Once you get a ton of CDR, it's a SERIOUS race against the clock to get setup for your next LotD burst phase so you're ready to go as soon as it comes off CD. While you might not be killing stuff between cooldowns, in no way, shape or form are you "twiddling your thumbs". You're racing around as fast as you possibly can, cursing everything in sight, trying to avoid danger, trying to find a good target which in itself can be a challenge. Just determining affixes can be a pain when you're trying to move as fast as possible. If you're fortunate enough to find a target early in that process, then you're scouting ahead to plan your next attack, open the map so you know where you're going, or to find a mob to try to kite for a double kill.

There's very, very little downtime in this build. You're constantly going. Constantly thinking. That type of play style is not for everyone though. A lot of people just want to hack stuff up without having a hectic playstyle which I get.

You might not be killing stuff between cooldowns, but in no way, shape or form are you twiddling your thumbs between CDs with the Trag build. The time between cooldowns is BY FAR the most hectic of the build as you're racing around, cursing everything in sight, trying to avoid danger, trying to figure out what kind of mobs a blue/yellow pack are when you find them, scouting ahead if you find one quickly, and then getting into position to pop on a potential target all the while trying to do it so you're ready the moment LotD comes off CD.

The actual killing phase is the only time when you can sort of exhale. The rest of the time is a serious race against the clock.

My mistake - I should've said "running for my life and not killing anything". Super enjoyable gameplay that.
07/13/2017 10:00 AMPosted by Zombeaver

You might not be killing stuff between cooldowns, but in no way, shape or form are you twiddling your thumbs between CDs with the Trag build. The time between cooldowns is BY FAR the most hectic of the build as you're racing around, cursing everything in sight, trying to avoid danger, trying to figure out what kind of mobs a blue/yellow pack are when you find them, scouting ahead if you find one quickly, and then getting into position to pop on a potential target all the while trying to do it so you're ready the moment LotD comes off CD.

The actual killing phase is the only time when you can sort of exhale. The rest of the time is a serious race against the clock.

My mistake - I should've said "running for my life and not killing anything". Super enjoyable gameplay that.

Haha, well played.

That said, despite "running for my life", I die LESS with this build when pushing than any other build/class that I've ever played. Whether I finish the rift in time or not, it's not uncommon for me to have no deaths or maybe 1 in a run. Once you figure out how to move and curse, death is not an issue despite it's squishy design. Go figure.
07/13/2017 10:16 AMPosted by Tampa

Haha, well played.

That said, despite "running for my life", I die LESS with this build when pushing than any other build/class that I've ever played. Whether I finish the rift in time or not, it's not uncommon for me to have no deaths or maybe 1 in a run. Once you figure out how to move and curse, death is not an issue despite it's squishy design. Go figure.

Hey, if you enjoy the gameplay - more power to ya! Everybody has their own personal preferences, and it's not my place to tell anybody what they should or shouldn't enjoy; I can only say what I do or don't enjoy, and it just comes down to the idea that gameplay revolving around extended periods of "simply survive while not killing anything, then have short bursts of a ton of damage" isn't for me at all; even if it's, as I've already admitted, strong for the purposes of pushing.

The build I've come up with honestly plays a lot like a Monk generator build haha. Monk has basically always been my "main" class (though I play them all) and the style is just infinitely more appealing to me.
Trag'oul build for pushing is tedious, and boring at best.
07/13/2017 12:57 AMPosted by powerdkoa
$15 for 2 weeks of fun this is what you paid for
That's actually a good deal compared to other entertainment industries!
I'm not ready to give up on the Necromancer but I don't like what they have done with it.

Top builds rely on corpses... which requires to you to kill something or wait for a big cool down to come up. Not fun.

The Minions build could be fun, but I feel like I'm always fighting to keep Mages up, really feel they could use a buff to how long they last. Also, Command Skeletons.. they die to easy.. they should be tougher.

Would love to see a buff to corpse explosion, would be a great skill to use in the Minions build if it did more damage. You create all these corpses would be nice to use them.
07/13/2017 08:42 AMPosted by Tampa
07/13/2017 03:46 AMPosted by Jazz
The Necro pack wasn't supposed to be released until much later this year. Somehow Blizzard lost interest in it's development and released a poorly tested beta.... buuuut with a casual friendly build that could sell huge numbers...

It wasn't poorly tested.

They just didn't listen to the tester feedback.

So true. The word "poorly" was also directed at the developers, not the beta testers.
You know why bonemancer build was so fun for so many.

It let the casual player play on level they never got to play on.
and it was fun, why in the holy hell did they Nerf it so bad you can't play it no more like you did be for. I CAN SEE LIKE 1 OR 2 GR LEVEL BUT 5--10 LEVEL WTF
Who cares what other people are doing just play what you think is fun and make your own build. I never follow builds in any of these games.
07/13/2017 12:57 AMPosted by powerdkoa
$15 for 2 weeks of fun this is what you paid for

Yeah :( I want my Inarius build back.

Well, i suppose on the bright side, $15 for 2 weeks beats the spiderman movie (which is great) but it is $15 for a little more than 2 hours.
I tried to make a Blood Nova build using Trag'oul but after spending a whole day trying to optimize it, the damage is still ridiculous low.

I believe it depends on playstyle. You like to kill everything, I never liked to kill everything. Long time ago I used a monk build focused on killing elites, then I played with the Bubble + Arcane Orbit wizard build because it was focused on elites too. I hate having to kill everything, that's just my playstyle.

But I believe there's just one rule to D3: You might not like or adapt to a meta build at a given time. I love wizards and I managed to get a rank 300 on the leaderboards back in January 2016 using the orb build, but I can't get to the leaderboards (even rank 1,000) using archon builds, it's just not suited for my playstyle. Like the static charge monk as well, I didn't adapt to it. And like old Raekor's build (I hated it).

So, if you can't play with or if you don't like the meta build, just roll another class or try another build.
It's impossible to make everyone happy, I'm sure a lot of people didn't like the orb build I liked.

I like the Trag Corpse Lance build and Inarius too, but if you want to be on the top you need to adapt to what is in the top. Archon builds are on the top right now, I can't play that build because it pisses me off, so I'm playing with the necromancer. There's no way all sets for a given class will perform equally, there will always be one that will surpass the others and that set might not be fun for you to play at all. I really HATE Furious Charge, it's boring as hell for me. I think you got the idea of what I'm saying.