why playing seasons?

General Discussion
just asking. I played season10 and stopped after.

what is the purpose of seasons?

I already have most of my cube stuff, my sets, some socket consumeables, gems, stuff... and paragon levels. Why start the same thing over again?

i am currently deciding whether to play season11 or not.

why are you playing seasons?
I like starting over with nothing. No power levels, no gear, no starting paragon levels. Sure its short lived but I still enjoy it.
The purpose of Seasons is to start over and over again with no real purpose beyond the cosmetics that take a week to earn for most people.
For many players the fun is starting fresh and going through the leveling and gear progression, for some it's the competition of placing on the ladder and maintaining a position. For some it's the collection of transmogs or the season cosmetic rewards. For some it's solely for the extra stash tab.

Personally the few times I played seasons was simply to use a character class I haven't tried yet or don't use much and working my way up from there with no temptation to twink it up with gems and paragon.
I play seasons for the stash tabs, cosmetics, to try out character I haven't played before or to get a set that I don't have yet for one of my characters. I have all the stash tabs now, so it's mostly for cosmetics and the occasional set while trying something new to me.
For me, it's the rush from start when everyone begins at 0. Get to 70 asap and start gearing with friends. Climb normaly in grifts and still see a progression in leaderboards without having to "fish" for the perfect rift. After about 1 month i start getting bored when i find myself doing the same grifts over and over just to level gems and get paragon and thats usually when i stop and start playing other games but as soon as the next season starts i'm back again.

Season is also i great thing for new players since they will never be able to catch up to everyone else in non-season since they are paragon 2000+.
07/17/2017 07:45 AMPosted by Sarah
The purpose of Seasons is to start over and over again with no real purpose beyond the cosmetics that take a week to earn for most people.

Yep there are a couple of my friends' who are only motivated by the cosmetic rewards.

For me starting over is painful, there is Nothing new to discover the missions have not changed much since Season 1. You rush for 2 weeks to get to Guardian then 70% of the players leave anyway so it's kind of a fake bump as far as number of players in the game.

You get all your powerful toons in Non-Season, the gear XP mats everything from Seasons is sent to your NS account and then what? Don't play your best toons?

I didn't play S10, I have max'd my stash tabs the DLC gave me 2 more the only conceivable way I will play S11 is if my friends' need a 4th to help out otherwise I'd happily log in for a couple hours a night and do serious runs with my NS friends.

Contrary to popular belief the NS playerbase is more consistent than Seasons, we never have problems getting a couple of full groups for pushing.
I played S10 after not having played since S2 or S3 and I'm asking myself the same question.

The point is to give everyone a fresh start, but the nolifers that play the game like it's their career are going to outpace everyone so that it's impossible to ever see your name on the leaderboards.

Not that it really matters anyway since there isn't really any progression in this game now that gear is so easy to get. Once you have some baseline of gear the only thing that scales is the numbers you see on the screen...
Seasons even things out for a short time so that the cheaters/exploiters and botters are on a level playing field with legit players for awhile.

It removes broken items and past sins of the devs (like the recent dh/necro exploit) and allows a fresh start.

It also helps to create a community of players who I prefer to game with at least for a short time.

At this point, I consider non-season dead and will never bother to play for anything but testing purposes outside of seasons.
(non-season was ruined a long time ago... the DH/necro thing is only the most recent)

If it is not your thing, then play non-season.
Me personally, I play for the Cosmetic rewards and the guaranteed set.
You play the Season if you like it, and you don't if not. It's that easy. Personally I play Seasons for the pets. Once I have the pet, I stop. If there are no pets in a Season, that means no Season for me.
If you havent played seasons before i would definitely give it a go.

In general many will do it for the rewards (Stash Tab, cosmetics, pets, etc).

I have played every season so far and will continue to play seasons because strangely i found that starting over and finding gear on a fresh character is really really fun. My NS char's will always be there and i feel that usually after the first month or two in seasons i'll stop once i've got all rewards i want. You can always play NS no matter where you are in seasons

I did not expect starting over to be so much fun but it is.
07/17/2017 07:35 AMPosted by HatoriHanzo
just asking. I played season10 and stopped after.

what is the purpose of seasons?

I already have most of my cube stuff, my sets, some socket consumeables, gems, stuff... and paragon levels. Why start the same thing over again?

i am currently deciding whether to play season11 or not.

why are you playing seasons?

You forgot the second t.

Just trying to reach the top again. It's like building all over again but tying to see how fast you can do it.
I have questions because seasons confuse me totally.
What is rebirth? I played s9 for the first time. that char I continue to play non-season (post s9).
What If I rebirth her for s11? What about the items she is wearing, what about items that dropped in season9 and non-seaon10?

I dont need/want a new char. All I need is to unlock stash tab in s11. After that I want to delete that char immediately but I dont want to lose the items in s11.
07/17/2017 08:26 AMPosted by Quarie
For me, it's the rush from start when everyone begins at 0. Get to 70 asap and start gearing with friends. Climb normaly in grifts and still see a progression in leaderboards without having to "fish" for the perfect rift. After about 1 month i start getting bored when i find myself doing the same grifts over and over just to level gems and get paragon and thats usually when i stop and start playing other games but as soon as the next season starts i'm back again.

Season is also i great thing for new players since they will never be able to catch up to everyone else in non-season since they are paragon 2000+.

This, Exactly
I think my last season was 7, but I am back for it this year in great part because of the Necro. Because it's been so long since I played it is all fresh. I played pretty intensely over the 2x weekend for paras but also just to check out my alts and builds. That got me excited to start fresh and go on the hunt for gear, but it will get old after a time.

I am a pretty casual player, still mostly just enjoying whacking stuff to let off a little steam or, conversely, stir the blood.
I haven't played the last 2 or 3 Seasons. I am just sick of restarting everything. Only if I really want the goodies will I play a Season. Nothing so far has caught my eye to make me want to restart fresh.
You can do this too on non season. Dont put anything like paragons, items, gems, etc. So, why bother doing it? For me, it only divides the community nothing more. And maybe a refresh from leaderboards? For what? To race to the top so that anyone can see your in game name? Lewls! So low man! No thanks!
07/17/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Deadric
I like starting over with nothing. No power levels, no gear, no starting paragon levels. Sure its short lived but I still enjoy it.

So do i my friend..
07/17/2017 10:21 AMPosted by Nero
I have questions because seasons confuse me totally.
What is rebirth? I played s9 for the first time. that char I continue to play non-season (post s9).
What If I rebirth her for s11? What about the items she is wearing, what about items that dropped in season9 and non-seaon10?

I dont need/want a new char. All I need is to unlock stash tab in s11. After that I want to delete that char immediately but I dont want to lose the items in s11.

Choosing to rebirth a character puts it into the current season w/o everything (including experience/paragon levels and achievements) except the number of hours you played in it. Everything it had will be mailed in game to your non season characters.

You need to have at least one non season character to be able to open the in game email and receive items or the email will be deleted 1 month after you receive it. All the rest (experience, paragon points, achievements, etc.) will be still be there in non season.

Basically Rebirth is a way to start seasons w/o having to make a new character for it and you also don't loose anything.

Edit: If you're planning to delete your seasonal character after you get the stash tab, then just create a new character for seasons instead of rebirthing so you can still play your non season character. Although I don't recommend deleting your character in seasons right away because that character might get/have a nice/cool item that you'd like to keep. Eventually all items you receive in a season transfer over to non season when the season ends. My suggestion for you is to create a new character in seasons, get the stash tab, after which continue playing in non season if you prefer, and just wait for the season to end so you can get the items you got during that season, then delete that character if you're still inclined to do so.