Additional Information for Patch 2.6.0 Exploits

Blizzard Archive
1 2 3 41 Next
Hey all,

We wanted to provide an additional update in light of the community feedback we’ve received. It’s clear that more transparency is needed in this situation, so we want to provide some additional details and the philosophy behind the steps we’re taking to combat this and future exploitive behavior.

In approaching this situation, we wanted to make sure any actions we took ensured the following key points:

Not punishing legitimate players, including those who may have participated unwittingly, such as other members of a 4-man party where only the Necromancer and Demon Hunter were exploiting.
Punishing the worst offenders. To do so, we will be issuing temporary suspensions over the upcoming Bonus XP weekend to those who are found to be the most egregious abusers, with a focus on those who continued abusing this exploit after we originally issued a public warning.

This may seem lenient, and that brings us to a philosophy we’re working on: improving our communication. This includes both currently and in the future. Diablo III is a game designed to encourage players to find powerful combinations of skills and items. While the effect of this particular combination was unintended, nothing in the game explicitly indicated that was the case. It is our responsibility to clarify intent, and we simply weren’t quick enough with our communications.

One more point we want to emphasize: We are not okay with exploits. We made mistakes in our communication and the speed of our actions, and for that, the community has our utmost apologies. Our intent is to continue to fix exploits and communicate clarity behind them as quickly as we can in the future.
You should just not punish anyone, and give all the folks that didn't exploit 32 stacks of that raise the gem upgrade chance to 100%!

edit: I am sad that this was downvoted more than the post above it. >_>
Good job blue! i approved!
Highly Rated
temporay suspensions is problery not good enough... can't you just rollback them back before the exploits happen? like pre patch...
Highly Rated
Temporary suspensions for 4 days are... nothing.
This action is not enough, since you have already identify them
Highly Rated
07/14/2017 11:08 AMPosted by Tyvalir
Punishing the worst offenders. To do so, we will be issuing temporary suspensions over the upcoming Bonus XP weekend to those who are found to be the most egregious abusers, with a focus on those who continued abusing this exploit after we originally issued a public warning.

well, Thank you for start listening, but what about gems? paragon? its best to just roll back to June 27th. suspension won't solve the issue of level 131+ gems and paragon levels exploiters got to keep.
Highly Rated
If you are willing and technically able to identify the worst exploiters, why do you only suspend them from the Bonus XP weekend? This is no punishment at all...

At least roll their gems back to a timepoint before the exploit - or you even have the balls and roll their whole accounts back.

Communication does not only consist of (empty) words that need to be improved, but also actions!
Highly Rated
Roll them back. Gems and XP. Delete any recovery data you have so they can't then roll their own accounts back to the day before they get nerfed.

Either that, or https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20757587180#post-1 something like this. It would let us narrow the gap the exploit put in place.

Given a choice between the two, I would roll back the offenders. But this "please don't do it again, but for this time - OOPS!" attitude is horrible. The NS leaderboards are ruined permanently.
Highly Rated
Hey all,

We wanted to provide an additional update in light of the community feedback we’ve received. It’s clear that more transparency is needed in this situation, so we want to provide some additional details and the philosophy behind the steps we’re taking to combat this and future exploitive behavior.

In approaching this situation, we wanted to make sure any actions we took ensured the following key points:

Not punishing legitimate players, including those who may have participated unwittingly, such as other members of a 4-man party where only the Necromancer and Demon Hunter were exploiting.

This may seem lenient, and that brings us to a philosophy we’re working on: improving our communication. This includes both currently and in the future. Diablo III is a game designed to encourage players to find powerful combinations of skills and items. While the effect of this particular combination was unintended, nothing in the game explicitly indicated that was the case. It is our responsibility to clarify intent, and we simply weren’t quick enough with our communications.

One more point we want to emphasize: We are not okay with exploits. We made mistakes in our communication and the speed of our actions, and for that, the community has our utmost apologies. Our intent is to continue to fix exploits and communicate clarity behind them as quickly as we can in the future.

Thank you for carification of your intentions. I'm exhausted, so I will not write everything I should, I will summarize my take on your actions in this paragraph:

Godspeed fellow legit players, I'm out of here. PoE it is.
Highly Rated
Well this is an egregious mistake by Blizzard. I guess any and all future exploits that people can abuse and claim ignorance over will be abused to the fullest extent by a large portion of the playerbase.

Do you not realize just how happy all those exploiters with a full set of 132 gems are right now?
Highly Rated
07/14/2017 11:32 AMPosted by Spagetto
Well this is an egregious mistake by Blizzard. I guess any and all future exploits that people can abuse and claim ignorance over will be abused to the fullest extent by a large portion of the playerbase.

Do you not realize just how happy all those exploiters with a full set of 132 gems are right now?

They don't have a clue what they doing. Calling 2 players in SPECIFIC meta setup exploiters while other two innocent is slap in a face for every player who touched any meta group.
Highly Rated
haha? do not let exploiters get your xp bonus?
they do not need it, cause they allready have all what they need... omg.
we, legit players, do not need your xp bonus too.
we need - rollback disaster and fix other problems, or game over.

Why you just cant say "we cant do nothing with cheaters/exploiters/abusers/bugers/boters/etc,
play this broken game as it is or go to hell out of here"?!
Highly Rated
Pardon me dear people, but you already promised improved communication over a year ago if I'm not mistaken. Followed by months of awkward silence. At one point words start sounding hollow, and in the case of Diablo III we're well past this point.

Get your stuff together! You are being paid for this!
Highly Rated
The rank 132 gems remain a problem because they function as a serious reward for exploiters.

It has taken some non-season players literally a YEAR and THOUSANDS of Greater Rifts to get gems to 125-130 via 1%.

There remains a strong feeling of unfairness regarding the decision to cap gems at 132 (which apparently did hit a few legitimately obtained rank 133 gems).

You can do better. Legitimate players deserve better.

As a start, those receiving suspensions (already on a list somewhere as 'egregious abusers') should have their gems looked at and rolled back as appropriate to eliminate their reward for cheating.
Highly Rated
Way to say eff you to the legit community.

Really hoped you would have grown a pair as Blizzard.

Edit: As someone pointed out, you have promised improvement in communication in the past. Your words mean absolutely nothing at this point. I paid to get royally screwed over. Shows who you value as a company.
Diablo III is a game designed to encourage players to find powerful combinations of skills and items. While the effect of this particular combination was unintended, nothing in the game explicitly indicated that was the case. It is our responsibility to clarify intent, and we simply weren’t quick enough with our communications.

While the whole thing reeks of corporate damage control, this is the part that sticks out the most. How is it not obvious to anyone competent enough to go through the log-in process that it is not intended to be able to 1 shot a rift guardian?

I suppose you need to add to every tooltip:

"while this skill may be powerful in certain combinations, high level enemies are not designed to die instantly. Be cautious Nephalem!"
Highly Rated
Temporary suspension for a few days, but they keep the gems? What's the point then? I hope Blizzard opens up a bank someday so that I can rob it and get to keep the money, but I won't be allowed to go out the following weekend to spend it.
Not good enough. Again. Either rollback all exploiters or give clean players x amount of free ups. I suspect this thread is just another place for us to complain.

Btw just lol @ "accidental" exploiters.