Thorns Revives GR105+ Build

Necromancer
1 2 3 7 Next
Hello everyone!
Here is the build:
------------
http://www.diablofans.com/builds/92714-thorns-revives-gr105
http://www.angryroleplayer.com/diablo-3-builds/necromancer-builds/thorns-revives-gr105/
-------------
My GR90 Demo here: https://youtu.be/97UwNnTJgkw
-------------
I've been experimenting with Thorns for about a week now, but mostly with Inarius and Rathma, this Tragoul setup, however, was primarly tested by the Korean player, so all credit goes to him. I just want to bring the build to larger audience and explain how it works.
Why i like this build?
1) It's the ONLY Pet Thorns build in the game
2) It's actually viable and easy to gear for
3) It's not an exploit, lol
4) It's an awesome S11 starter (and later pusher as well) and now i am actually considering playing S11 with it.
It is also suprisingly powerful and i cleared GR90 with ZERO thorns on any tragoul pieces. The Korean player cleared GR106 with pretty crappy gear and p1600, so it's very safe to say that GR105 is realistic enough once you actually get used to the build.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a couple of specific things that you need to know about this build which were hard to fit in the video:

It is very Elite and RG dependent build and after around GR100 it's very fishy. The type of Elite attacks and affixes greatly affect the "chance" to proc reflected damage off your minions. You need rifts full of FROZEN, ARCANES, FROZEN PULSES, JAILER and such. Huge AOE attacks, massive AOE slams.. This way your minions have higher chance to get hit and reflect damage back. Dumb physical brutes with no AOE attacks will take too long to kill, next to impossible sometimes. Illusionists with no extra affixes take FOREVER, so just skip them completely. Juggernaut Frozens can be killed. Same for RGs: RGs with massive AOE attacks can be killed in seconds, while passive dumb ones like Stonesinger can take infinite time.
Thanks for posting the build. I had a look at the video but couldn't decipher the runes/gear and such. I'm getting sick of the Rathma mage playstyle so I might give this a shot.
07/16/2017 11:43 AMPosted by Thunndarr
Thanks for posting the build. I had a look at the video but couldn't decipher the runes/gear and such. I'm getting sick of the Rathma mage playstyle so I might give this a shot.

I deciphered all the runes there.
The only thing that is weird: he was using simulacrum in gr100 but switched back to frailty in gr103. I believe this is because Simulacrum is too dangerous and too clunky to use than a simply curse.
Might give it a go. Not keen on rathmas.
Just two things about wording in that diablofans guide, because it might confuse players that are not that experienced with mechanics:

1) It is not reflected dmg, it is thorns dmg (reflect kinda implies that your dmg would be based off the dmg you/your minions take)

2) "Pray for Elites to actually perform some strong attack" thats really misleading. If you actually want to pray something it is that the elites perform a fast hitting and/or aoe attack, a strong one doesnt benefit you in any way.
Earlier today I tried a Thorns build (not this variant) in GR80. It was pretty impressive..until I got to the Rift Guardian. I got Bone Warlock and it took 5 min for him to die cause he wasn't doing !@#$.

Pray for stuff that does AoE dmg.
Reminds me of running the Ivory Tower-based build for Crusader. Effective in Grifts, but you play the fool in a rift trying to kill treasure goblins.
Wow, this video beat out my upload by like 6 hours lol rip.
I think the version I arrived at is at least comparable though. 6-7 Revives out consistently instead of complete LotD cooldown reliance.
07/16/2017 12:22 PMPosted by Goldarm
Just two things about wording in that diablofans guide, because it might confuse players that are not that experienced with mechanics:

1) It is not reflected dmg, it is thorns dmg (reflect kinda implies that your dmg would be based off the dmg you/your minions take)

2) "Pray for Elites to actually perform some strong attack" thats really misleading. If you actually want to pray something it is that the elites perform a fast hitting and/or aoe attack, a strong one doesnt benefit you in any way.

1) The wording can be better here indeed. I need to rephrase. Reflected damage is always 100% of thorns pool multiplied by generic multipliers. It is like a thorns skill which does 100% of thorns pool. "Thorns dmg" in general, however, can be different since it can be multiplied by thorns skills, like Bombardment for Crusader.
2) Agreed. Changed the wording as well.
Now for the important question, how do you open doors with this build?

On first inspection the dfans comment is right, I don't see how you can open the things that have to be damaged to get past. WD is annoying in this respect but Pirahnnado will open it after the cd comes up again.

Is this spec really a ripped GR on the tilesets that have breakables in the way?
07/16/2017 02:12 PMPosted by Cuddlebear
Now for the important question, how do you open doors with this build?

With Blood Rush or quit :)
Eu record is 13.50/gr105 solo ( qwerti#11399, only 1600 paragon & average gear with low amount of thorns ).

It's very impressive, but... the closed doors I'm worried about. Restart?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe the dmg is just way too situational. Tried it first on a 90 no problem. Did a 104 and dmg is umm hopeful. I pop LotD and cast revive where the yellow is at and seems to take like 3 or 4 rotations to kill.

Anyone care to elaborate more on skill rotations? Or that's just it? We wait till Elites attack the revived minions and pray?
I must admit, I'm a big fan of thorns builds, and have moved to trying this out (over corpse lance). Just trying to get the hang of the rotation in GR71; nothing astounding here.

I have a slightly different set up in using the Spear of Jairo https://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/spear-of-jairo. Great for large groups, but I imagine it pales in comparison to Shadowhook https://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/reilenas-shadowhook for some sustained output on the RG.

Here's another link to the same/similar build, that I saw yesterday, that talks about skill rotation. http://www.diablofans.com/builds/92161-bloody-thorns-gr100

Edit for questions/comments:

"Increases Revive Damage by 10-15%" is that a viable stat on gear?

"Chance to Deal x-y% Area Damage on Hit" stat greatly helped my Invoker Thrones Crusader. Perhaps it'll help here as well?

Also, the CoE is a staple in the Invoker Thorns build as well.
Reilena's and not the Necro spear with gives minions 200% thorns in cube?

So I gather Reilena's buffs thorns damage. If so getting more essence on weapon and off-hand is also important?
I wonder if you could squeeze this in the singularity mage build? You have Skeletons and Mages for the numbers. You often have huge max essence values already. All you need is the legendary gem, passive and secondary thorns rolls on gear.

I wonder does Singularity damage bonus affect thorn damage? Does Jesseth affect the pets thorn damage?
07/17/2017 12:30 AMPosted by Maxzero
I wonder if you could squeeze this in the singularity mage build? You have Skeletons and Mages for the numbers. You often have huge max essence values already. All you need is the legendary gem, passive and secondary thorns rolls on gear.

I wonder does Singularity damage bonus affect thorn damage? Does Jesseth affect the pets thorn damage?

You can't cause for Mages to do damage you need crit stats. You can't effectively mix crit stats and non-crit stats.
Also Mages are 100% ranged and mobs never even hit them.
07/16/2017 07:52 PMPosted by jtcdgroup
Reilena's and not the Necro spear with gives minions 200% thorns in cube?

So I gather Reilena's buffs thorns damage. If so getting more essence on weapon and off-hand is also important?

Reilena buffs all damage.
And Spear buff thorns damage per cursed mob. So, potentially Spear can give 300% more thorns through the rift, but will suck greatly against a single elite or RG. While Reilena will give stable 150% across the rift and RG
There are only two revive setup's I found that make Revive's useful, and this is one of them. Go figure it requires LoTD to take down the RG.

"Land of the Dead: your one-stop shop to all things Necro in Diablo 3."