If Blizz really believed in the slogan "Play your way"

General Discussion
Three things plague this game IMO: damage multiplier stacking, damage reduction stacking and long cooldown skills.

Every meta build must have multiplier and damage reduction stacking, or else is bad. I don't like having to use a item with ONLY damage reduction in the cube as a defensive mechanic, specially when we already have resists and armor in the game. Why not just buff those and remove damage reduction and open space to more interesting builds. Long cooldowns are so stupid that a lot of powerful skills with high cooldowns are bipassed with set bonuses... really...

This game need more items that change skill mechanics, not damage. But whatever, we are way past this point now, there is no return.
07/24/2017 02:08 AMPosted by Steve
Downvote all you want, doesn't change the fact that OP wasn't a thing until leaderboards and the chasers want to wear junk instead of the best, to get to the top of the leaderboard

it's junk because the other stuff is OP lol
OP wasn't a prior to leaderboards, because there was no +xxxx% damage on sets and the stuff was actually quite balanced.
07/24/2017 03:02 AMPosted by Alukat
OP wasn't a prior to leaderboards, because there was no +xxxx% damage on sets and the stuff was actually quite balanced.

Sure there was, the only difference is the leaderboard, take that away and no one will be saying OP doing T13 because all sets are OP for T13, but because there is no ranking it doesn't matter, the quicker the opposition is dead the better
Once you get ranking some people want to be on the top of the rankings and then and only then do people care about balance and all whites have to have the same chance as best set here, and everything inbetween
They would not have created leaderboards!
If they bring all legendary items affix combo n build by players. Btw sets items need to removed totally. Or.Make them to collections . Otherwise this game is no futures. We r force to play. Not play our way. Maybe they force us play their way. Lol
07/23/2017 09:22 PMPosted by Cayenne
07/23/2017 09:11 PMPosted by Shurgosa

uh, yes Gump....I know that........

Yep, I'm agreeing with you.

Oh my apologies, I read your post several times, and I thought you were explaining the reason why it was the way that it was in hopes of justifying it to a certain degree.

Sorry im jaded because so many people have replied to the requests to make the bottom 4 tiers of items more interesting in some random new way, with the explanation that those items are currently the source of crafting materials.

It's spoken as matter of fact, and really rubs me the wrong way :S
07/24/2017 03:16 AMPosted by Steve
07/24/2017 03:02 AMPosted by Alukat

Sure there was, the only difference is the leaderboard, take that away and no one will be saying OP doing T13 because all sets are OP for T13, but because there is no ranking it doesn't matter, the quicker the opposition is dead the better
Once you get ranking some people want to be on the top of the rankings and then and only then do people care about balance and all whites have to have the same chance as best set here, and everything inbetween

During vanilla there was no leaderboards, there was no ranking yet class balance was an issue.
07/23/2017 01:58 PMPosted by DoomBringer
You know, the game is fun when you are pre-70. Once you hit 70, itemization falls flat.

I think we need to be honest here.

For the first 500-1,000 hours D3 is truly an amazing game that captivates most players.

But I agree, once you become bored with the lack of progression, it is unfortunately time to move on.....which is sad because adding things like charms, runewords, skill trees, and changing sets and legendary items to function for an arrays of skills rather than specific skills, and D3 would by far be the best ARPG that nearly everyone plays!
07/24/2017 06:11 PMPosted by Demonmonger
07/23/2017 01:58 PMPosted by DoomBringer
You know, the game is fun when you are pre-70. Once you hit 70, itemization falls flat.

I think we need to be honest here.

For the first 500-1,000 hours D3 is truly an amazing game that captivates most players.

But I agree, once you become bored with the lack of progression, it is unfortunately time to move on.....which is sad because adding things like charms, runewords, skill trees, and changing sets and legendary items to function for an arrays of skills rather than specific skills, and D3 would by far be the best ARPG that nearly everyone plays!

For the first 100 hours -- I wondered when the game would become great.
Then I gave up.

Don't mistake a Skinner Box with an amazing game.
07/26/2017 08:51 AMPosted by Frostraven
For the first 100 hours -- I wondered when the game would become great.
Then I gave up.

Are you being serious?

You have nearly 5,000 posts over 4 years in a game forum for a game you barely even played.

Are you alright?
07/23/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Rale
They would make all legendary items powerful enough to swap into at least one set each and have it work just as well as the cookie cutter builds on the ladders.

Even something simple like Fire Walkers, instead of dealing 400% a second have it deal like 4000% a second. Make all the legendary items good enough to make us consider using them or swapping into our builds!

There is so much wasted potential on all these other legendary items that just get trashed cause compared to the meta they're just garbage or useless.

Ok so finding a 4000% Fire Walker is OP early game at low level. So make them scale with level. There IS a way to balance it.

Here is a easy way to fix this (and the only possible way), remove all yellow text (special) effects on legendaries, reduce bonuses gained from sets (all sets), Nerf Grift mob stats (and optional make legendaries MUCH rarer to find, like the good old days). Boom, done. Otherwise it requires way to much balancing or will break the system (creates Metas, never do this).

Also there is a mechanic that makes items do more damage the later you are in the game, its called your main attribute (Str, Dex, Int).
07/26/2017 09:34 AMPosted by Apathy

Are you being serious?

You have nearly 5,000 posts over 4 years in a game forum for a game you barely even played.

Diablo is one of my favorite game series of all times -- and the forum is the real endgame, anyway.

Player versus Player, Players versus Devs...
I believe that sets are OK, they give you bonus for finding all the parts and equip them, if there were no conditions for the +xxxx% damage, the gameplay would be static and boring.
I agree with most in 2 things:
-Edit the powers to make a purpose for those useless legendary items and gems and blackthorn.
-Edit the sets bonuses, not the damage but the amount of skills they affect.

There is a lot of hidden potential in unused skills and runes.
MAKE DIABLO GREAT AGAIN
07/23/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Rale
They would make all legendary items powerful enough to swap into at least one set each and have it work just as well as the cookie cutter builds on the ladders.

Even something simple like Fire Walkers, instead of dealing 400% a second have it deal like 4000% a second. Make all the legendary items good enough to make us consider using them or swapping into our builds!

There is so much wasted potential on all these other legendary items that just get trashed cause compared to the meta they're just garbage or useless.

Ok so finding a 4000% Fire Walker is OP early game at low level. So make them scale with level. There IS a way to balance it.

But then they would need to invest time balancing and dealing with bugs that arise from currently useless items that could become an issue once players use them.
They currently spend the minimum amount of time rotating and buffing solitary items they choose for us to play in each season.
It really is the best way for them to make it look like they are refreshing the game whilst doing not alot.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell they will reverse this trend.
07/24/2017 02:20 AMPosted by calavera
Three things plague this game IMO: damage multiplier stacking, damage reduction stacking and long cooldown skills.

Every meta build must have multiplier and damage reduction stacking, or else is bad. I don't like having to use a item with ONLY damage reduction in the cube as a defensive mechanic, specially when we already have resists and armor in the game. Why not just buff those and remove damage reduction and open space to more interesting builds. Long cooldowns are so stupid that a lot of powerful skills with high cooldowns are bipassed with set bonuses... really...

This game need more items that change skill mechanics, not damage. But whatever, we are way past this point now, there is no return.

This post is on the right track. Movement speed seems to be the only thing they capped (and later disregarded for the most part), what happens? We build around it.

If they put obtainable caps on certain stats/mechanics it opens up flexibility in gearing choices rather than stacking as much as possible of the best ones. This should include things like damage reduction, and mob damage should scale accordingly.

With a 50% dr cap you can choose whether you want to run unity or vengeance dark heart or aquilas. Not 'you must use all of these to survive'.
Lots of items are still kinda legacy, when the most part of the game was leveling up. I think all items when reaching lv 70 should be buffed enough to be useful at least at T13. Fire Walkers, Sash of Knives, and many others. A 10x multiplier would be a good start.
07/27/2017 01:14 AMPosted by gambler
Lots of items are still kinda legacy, when the most part of the game was leveling up. I think all items when reaching lv 70 should be buffed enough to be useful at least at T13. Fire Walkers, Sash of Knives, and many others. A 10x multiplier would be a good start.

While this idea might make them useful to some builds, it would make them an overpowering source of damage for others. Fire Walkers and Sash of Knives dealing 10x more damage would make them out do nearly every class ability in a non-skill specific set.

Pain Enhancer does a tremendous amount of damage with Inarius for example, making everything but corpse lance/explosion irrelevant. 10x stronger Fire walkers do roughly the same damage as a level 190 Pain Enhancer, or about 10 bloodnovas a second. For something like UE MS though, 10x Fire Walkers would do less than 1/6 of a multishot hit per second.

They do kinda relevant damage for some builds already, but even buffed to hell they would still suck for others.
07/24/2017 02:20 AMPosted by calavera

you need the DR stacking because GR scaling + insane multipliers on sets.
Season 1 & 2 there was not much DR gear around, people just stacked damage , pushed GR, died 100 times, complained that everything oneshots them...