A Maya/Aztec/Inca Based Class?

General Discussion
I honestly think the Witch Doctor embodies both the Vodou (of African descent) and South American native cultures. While the voodoo influence is heavily laced throughout their skills and aesthetics, there are trace amounts of South America in various skills and items. i.e. Fetishes and the Zunimassa set. The Zuni are a Native American Pueblo people who carved fetishes. Even the appearance of Jade Harvester has a Aztec/Mayan/Incan vibe. Many of the ceremonial daggers and mojos are thematically South American. (ex. beating hearts, vicious looking daggers designed to cut open chests). Piranha skill is one of the most obvious nod to South America.

Even in Diablo 2, the [fetish infested] jungles surrounding Kurast had ruins showing architectural elements of South American design.

IMO, we don't need a purely Aztec/Inca/Maya based class because we have it in the WD.
Aside from the obvious theme and visuals overlap with the witchdoctor, how will the gameplay work? If you remember shapeshifting in d2 would turn your character into a werewolf/bear identical to every other druid player. In D3 that would lead to several complications as to items carrying over to your different shapes, transmogs, animations, and if you could or not use all your skills while in different forms (d2 druid could not). If that was the case shapeshifting would actually restraint you from some of your abilities...

A shapeshifter is definitly the only type of class archtype d3 is missing from previous games (if they don't make a new one), but i'm not looking foward a new perma Archon/Wrath of the Berzerker class that doesn't let me see my character and makes me indistinguable from everyone else.
I first thought that the "Aztec" char would overlap with Witch Doctor, but there are some key differences:
- as people mentioned, WD is african, while the Aztec/Mayan/Inca would be Central America, and their design and culture, despite the tribal aspect, has a lot of visual, thematic differences.
- the WD is a sorcerer, not a warrior. Don't know if that's the OP's original vision, but I see the "Aztec" class as a figther with some magic features, like the Barbarian.
- The idea is to basically merge Amazon and Druid as an original new class, like the WD was some kind of necro + druid, the Monk as a paladin + assassin, etc. So, the concept is to actually have shapeshifting and spearmanship, not the focus on tribal theme as the WD.
- The design and concept would be "diablofied" (???), it would not be a literal Aztec warrior as we have in our minds. Like the Monk, who's archetype derives from Eastern culture (shaolin monk, martial artists) but has that strong Russian accent and much more agressiveness (Ytar seems to be a very angry god, comparing to Bhuda, hehehe).

07/29/2017 10:46 AMPosted by Rashiel
If they would keep them with a valkyrie as a basis for their design, then it would have the same feeling as from d2. Question is though if they want a class that is female or male only

They also could be inspered by Greek mythos. And being an alternative universe, they can change "female only" aspect to have male and female warriors in their clan / tribe / lineage.

07/29/2017 10:46 AMPosted by Rashiel
They still don't have a Arabian design class either even if they have places in the game with that theme. Possibly assassin as the most given class from that design.

Oh boy, more ideas! That would fit perfectly, especially because arabic theme is already present in Caldeum, would not be an alien concept. Assassin with genie / djin powers!

07/28/2017 06:29 PMPosted by nslay
Medieval European, Catholic theme/lore huh? OK, how about Alchemist as a class then (explosives class)? Or Barber Surgeon (the medieval surgeons that would bloodlet people to cure them)? Combat Engineer that uses steam and mechanical contraptions/skills to fight the armies of hell? I'm tempted to say, maybe Heretical Combat Physicist/Mathematician? They emit an aura of impossibility of all things unscientific, like the armies of hell.

I love the concepts, I just don't see them inside Diablo lore (maybe the alchemist could). Diablo classes are more tied to the concept of a fighter or a magic user. Now, your ideas seem a bit steampunkyish, it immediately came to mind as in some dark Victorian era London, where you would have this people with mundane professions, but adapted to combat. Can I add some Cursed Sailor to the mix? Someone that has traveled to unknown places (like in that Sunless Sea game) and survived, but carries a lovecraftian terror that torments but also make him/her powerfull.
07/29/2017 11:18 PMPosted by DarkSpell
If you remember shapeshifting in d2 would turn your character into a werewolf/bear identical to every other druid player. In D3 that would lead to several complications as to items carrying over to your different shapes, transmogs, animations, and if you could or not use all your skills while in different forms (d2 druid could not).

I would play the shapeshifting as in D2 archetype with no problem, but I see your point. Can only think of a couple of ways to prevent this from happening:
- not a complete shapeshift. The character would maybe buff it's size, have changes to it's skin or it's movement pattern and would not lose the visual cue of items. Would it be too weird?
- a complete shapeshift, but the animal form would carry over some cues from the gear, like it's colors and material, embbeding that properties into the char's skin.

For skills, it would probably happen as the same way Archons happen now, devs are not too keen on remaking something that already works, if they already have a built framework. A timed transformation (that can be extended with runes and items), with a different skillset. Unless the "not complete shapeshift" alternative is taken, then it would be easier to envision a werejaguar / werewolf holding an weapon (skills would have slightly modified outcomes form human and animal forms).