Casuals have more fun

General Discussion
07/26/2017 07:37 AMPosted by S4v4G3
True casuals
Fake casuals
You're stating your subjective understanding as objective definition. My subjective understanding of "casual" is "not competitive".
Free sets in season, crafting, reforging, expedited gearing
Even in a vacuum (with no other players) a casual gamer can still enjoy wearing a 6-piece or finding a specific legendary item with an effect they like. Remember this genre isn't just about killing monsters. The loot hunt is just as fun for someone looking for their first Garwulf as it is for someone hunting primal Yang's (maybe even more fun :p ).
hates everybody
stupid nerfs
Sad reality is
You're mad.
I don't consider myself casual at all, but Diablo 3 isn't a competitive game that's designed for serious players.

It has fantastic gameplay, bad customization, bad replay value, bad depth, bad RPG elements etc.

So I hop in do the season journey stuff and than leave.

If I want a competitive experience I wouldn't be playing Diablo 3 at all.
Fake casuals are folks who ruined this game, starting from loot hunt.

Nope, it's the leets that ruined the game, not fake casuals.

No loot hunt, because a casual might find a great piece before a leet did, and be able to push higher. So we have overwhelmingly bland itemisation and lame Ancient Primals that add 1 or 2 % over a standard ancient piece.

Leets didn't like having to hunt for Keywardens, because it was 'inefficient' , so Blizz gave them arrows. Same for bounty quests. You think casuals cared if it was taking them two minutes instead of one?

07/26/2017 05:27 PMPosted by Fenix
yea your ancient convention is shiny, but i have 8 different conventions for different classes, including one with crit crit cooldown, and one with crit crit area damage. i still get to make the fun decision on which to wear and then test the results etc etc... and they aren't quite 6/50 crit on the rings either. how are you having more fun than me? i have a full character roster with a full armory on every character with different builds. how could you possibly be having more fun than me when i play my farming jade build? or when i'm pushing with jade? you have no idea why i've played that build for 11 straight seasons.

Is doing a GR90 more fun than a GR45? If someone who knew nothing about the game watched one player pushing a 90 and another pushing a 45 side by side, would they notice any difference at all? Would they be able to tell which one was harder?

07/26/2017 05:27 PMPosted by Fenix
i still get to make the fun decision on which to wear and then test the results etc etc

Wait, so you decide which ring to equip based on 'fun'? Doesn't sound like you choose on 'fun'. Fun would be equipping something like Stalgard's Decimator, just cause it's affix sounds awesome and looks cool, even though it's - gasp! - inefficient!
07/25/2017 11:32 PMPosted by IAM
Casuals don't have to worry about Leaderboards, nerfs, min-maxing, pushing Grifts, bots, exploits, itemization or anything that is constantly whined about on these forums. We are worry free! We log in, kill some monsters and have fun.

So next time that CoE ring or 4 man meta has you down, just play for fun.
You should try it some time!

Exploiters have the most fun and get to brag about it.

Casual exploiters, that's who this game is perfect for.
As an addendum to my last post....

I actually just completed Guardian for the second time in all my time playing seasons.

Went into public games for the 4 min. TXIII rift and 2 min. TX rift. And I got the usual power-level from a clanmate.

All the rest of it was solo with Rathma's build built around Gift of Death Mages over Singularity (see I told you I do things a bit differently lol) so I could forego a generator.

Felt awesome to do it again. Paragon 620-ish and still playing the way I want as much as the devs will let me.

Devoted Casual, like I said.
never gave 2 !@#$s about leaderboard for a simple reason, there is no incentive to be #1.

If they would add more rewards for achievements in general, like portraits/pets/wings/banners/, people would play way more.
Leaderboard is extremely stupid because is based off some randomness/time spent/bots.

Im a pretty competitive player on all games, but i think diablo is the first and only game where i dont give a damn about leaderboards, i find it quite stupid lol.
07/27/2017 01:51 AMPosted by Idolis
Devoted Casual

''Devoted Casual''. I like that. I'm proud to say that all my Paragons and gear are 100% from solo play.
07/27/2017 03:28 AMPosted by IAM
''Devoted Casual''. I like that. I'm proud to say that all my Paragons and gear are 100% from solo play.

I grew up without internet and played D1 with my mom solo (we made turns on my dad's PC...) D2, same story. No internet. So I just continued playing solo in D3, and I enjoy myself insanely.

I would also like to rephrase myself: I am a Devoted Casual! And a soloist!
"Hardcore Casual" is the term I often penned for myself back in the past. I still like to figure out how things work and all that jazz, but I also have my limits when it comes to grinding and the rates of return. It's the primary reason behind my paragon being "so low" alongside my general disdain for multiplayer meta play.

Midcore is a term I've seen since, which is probably more accurate in indicating there are shades of gray to be had between the camps. Either way, you can still have some pretty smart and talented players who just don't play that much, be it by choice or circumstance.

Relative to seasons, while I'm still not a fan of the mode and the neglect to non-season it infers, I usually pick one class/build and work on it until I get it in mostly decent ancients. If I happen to enjoy the process, then I'll shoot for around GR80. If I don't, I'd just do whatever for journey and cut my losses. If it's really bad, then I'll just redo a build I know I liked. That's more or less how I felt about the lightning wizard build last season, even though people seemed to be all over it for progress. The non-archon phase just wasn't fun, which is more or less parallel to CoE rotations.
07/26/2017 12:11 AMPosted by starcraft111
IDK, you plateau pretty quickly if you don't worry about that stuff. And I'm casual af

Never using CoE, though. That !@#$ gives me a headache.

Edit: just realized my profile reveals that I'm using CoE on my sorceress right now, but that was just an experiment for speed-farming build, and I just spam my skills randomly anyways. My real sorceress build is with the Firebird set

you dont know what it means to be casual much less super casual..
100% agree OP. I have been playing for years but still consider myself casual. There are days where I can spend 3 to 4 hours, but most days wife/job/life will come first.

Probably the best clue I'm casual is because I don't need to be in the "meta" to keep enjoying the game and very proud to say that my hard earned 100lvl gems come from solo play with my old good non-meta sader :)
Casuals don't have to worry about Leaderboards, nerfs, min-maxing, pushing Grifts, bots, exploits, itemization or anything that is constantly whined about on these forums. We are worry free! We log in, kill some monsters and have fun.

no one has to worry about any of this. they worry because they choose to
07/26/2017 05:53 PMPosted by Razorphilia
True casuals
Fake casuals
You're stating your subjective understanding as objective definition. My subjective understanding of "casual" is "not competitive".
Free sets in season, crafting, reforging, expedited gearing
Even in a vacuum (with no other players) a casual gamer can still enjoy wearing a 6-piece or finding a specific legendary item with an effect they like. Remember this genre isn't just about killing monsters. The loot hunt is just as fun for someone looking for their first Garwulf as it is for someone hunting primal Yang's (maybe even more fun :p ).
hates everybody
stupid nerfs
Sad reality is
You're mad.

Read once again. There is no loot hunt. Because most of those who "enjoy wearing set pieces" did not enjoy looking for them.

Your understanding - subjective - of casual being "non competitive" isn't anyhow wrong. But read my original post once again. Look around. How many folks are non competitive because they CHOOSE to be non competitive, and how many folks are non competitive because they CANNOT BE COMPETITIVE.

The last group, non competitive because they cannot be competitive is this cancer on forums and in game. This is that vocal part that does everything I've listed.

So, long story short, you barking off wrong tree dude. Yes, I may be mad, because I was a solo casual that wanted to compete, and in order to do that, I've learn how to play efficiently, learned game mechanics, studied maps and mobs for hundreds and thousands of hours and GR runs. But I never, once, thru this time period complained, asked for any handicap measures, paragon caps, nerfs or any way to simplify my own progression. I farmed paragon, gear, mats, gem levels for thousands of hours, so I could be competitive, I've enjoyed every bit of it. So, call me mad all you want bruh, but seeing this same process over and over drives me nuts.

By process I mean:

Feature introduction - global "fake casual" complain - feature change/remove/nerf.
My only real goal is to hit grift 70, then I'm done for the season.

And I will never under any circumstance use CoE.

Meanwhile there are threads about casuals complaining about leader boards.
I'm extremely casual these days and DIII can barely keep my attention.
I had fun killing things the first few years.

Now there's absolutely no incentive to keep playing.

In fact, I leveled to 4 and quit this season immediately.
Fun is subjective. I'd be bored out of my mind if all I did was kill a few monsters here and there. For me pushing myself is fun. So I have plenty fun pushing myself on the leaderboards. Feels awesome climbing higher.
07/26/2017 10:00 AMPosted by Dav
Hey guys, what's CoE mean?

CoE is the abbreviation of
https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/item/convention-of-elements

noun
enjoyment, amusement, or light-hearted pleasure.
"the children were having fun in the play area"
synonyms: pleasure, entertainment, enjoyment, amusement, excitement, gratification; More
adjectiveinformal
amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable.
"it was a fun evening"
synonyms: enjoyable, amusing, diverting, pleasurable, pleasing, agreeable, interesting More

Fun has the same meaning to everyone, yet everyone doesn't find the same things fun!
07/28/2017 04:14 AMPosted by Celulas
Fun has the same meaning to everyone, yet everyone doesn't find the same things fun!

Compare that to...
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/grinding

Grind
verb (used with object), ground or (Rare) grinded; grinding
    to oppress, torment, or crush
    Slang. to annoy; irritate; irk
    Digital Technology. (in a video game) to perform a monotonous task repeatedly in order to advance a character to a higher level or rank
    laborious, usually uninteresting work

Pretty much the opposite of fun, right? Unsurprising that some people in search of fun don't enjoy the grinding aspect of Diablo III.