Rathma Push Tank Guide (GR 100+)

Necromancer
1 2 3 5 Next
I've been on the hunt for a build that I really enjoyed for a while now. I was having fun with Inarius until the Miranae change (thanks...) and after clearing through GR 99 with Trag'Ouls I decided to ditch it...it's just too boring. I only use it to level gems these days. With Pestilence being weaker than a wet piece of paper that left me with Rathma.

I've tried every combination and set up I found online and could think of myself. Including SotC, Jesseth, Shadowhook, Reapers/Nems, Speed/Push, and all sorts of other setups. Some are really great for farming lower GR and T13 but they are all so squishy past GR 80. This build here is the one I've settled on and I think has the most potential for pushing high rifts due to it's combination of DPS and Survivability. Keep in mind survivability basically only refers to not being 1 shot by just about everything...you aren't a "tank" but you'll be much more rugged than full CD glass cannon Rathma builds.

Build: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/94201-rathma-push-tank-gr-91

GR 90 and 91 Clear: https://youtu.be/iTf0nqIwFVk
GR 98 Clear: https://youtu.be/EoCOZD8Ge28
GR 100 Clear: Wasn't recording like a dummy. See leaderboard position.

The current known max this build has cleared is 104 by HunterKiller.

I couldn't possibly thank and give credit to everyone who helped me find this build. It's a combination of numerous guides, profiles, videos, and my own testing. If this build/guide is already out there I apologize, I haven't seen it, I hope the explanations of my choices can provide additional information to those who seek it. Thanks to all the D3 contributors out there for putting in the time to make the content we all enjoy!

I'm happy to answer questions.

Kev
If you are looking for a tankier spec, perhaps drop Shadow hook for Scythe of the Cycle, and sim reservoir for bone armor.

Your build has a wasted slot. Your toon is wearing the mage ring AND you have it cubed. I assume you want compass rose in there.

You could also drop travelers for bone armor amulet and COE. Or the sim amulet.

Just spit balling. And leaving a comment so I can look back later. Cheers OP.
Well, that's exactly my build and I've cleared GR103 in season. No need for paragon 2K+. :)
08/09/2017 11:11 AMPosted by Gbrav13
If you are looking for a tankier spec, perhaps drop Shadow hook for Scythe of the Cycle, and sim reservoir for bone armor.

Your build has a wasted slot. Your toon is wearing the mage ring AND you have it cubed. I assume you want compass rose in there.

You could also drop travelers for bone armor amulet and COE. Or the sim amulet.

Just spit balling. And leaving a comment so I can look back later. Cheers OP.

What slot is wasted? I think there must be lag or you're looking at the wrong profile. I'm wearing EW and Krysbin's with Circle cubed.

I prefer using Daynte's Binding/Decrepify to SotC/Bone armor. I just think it's more reliable and safer. I think the weapon choices are SotC/OH vs Jesseth. You need to have Shadowhook in the cube if you're running Simulacrum.

I go over the EW vs Haunted Visions/CoE debate in the guide. It's personal preference. I happen to think EW is stronger for the added toughness until you hit your DPS cap where you'll need to swap to HV/CoE for the DPS.

08/09/2017 11:18 AMPosted by HunterKiller
Well, that's exactly my build and I've cleared GR103 in season. No need for paragon 2K+. :)

Oh really? Awesome. There's the proof! I figured I wasn't the only one using this exact build but I thought it was worth sharing with everyone. I need to get a few more pieces optimized and throw some lvl 95 gems on everything then I think I'll be around there. Right now I'm short a few ancient pieces and have mostly 80 gems on it...my 90+ augs are on my Tra'Gouls. I at least have the perfect weapon and that's the hardest part though ;-)
Always look forward to your builds Kev :)

I'm done with my season journey now so all I've got is pushing higher GRs. If I can make 90 I think I'll be happy. This might be my build to do that.

Have you tried Unity + Haunted Visions? Might be a good compromise between the two given options. In my limited experience with Rathma, the Endless Walk bonus tends much more towards the defensive side. So it's two slots for a 50% mitigation that sometimes drops if you happen to stand still too long. Unity gives you that without the hassle and Haunted Visions is probably more damage than you'll get from the offensive side of Endless Walk in a build that moves around so much.
I haven't tried a Unity but it's mainly because I haven't found a decent ancient one yet. My Compass Rose is really nice w/ the bonus CDR along with a halfway decent Travelers that's the main reason I'm using it. HV/CoE will be the top DPS performer for sure. Maybe Unity is worth a look...but honestly I think more DPS is probably the answer.
What slot is wasted? I think there must be lag or you're looking at the wrong profile. I'm wearing EW and Krysbin's with Circle cubed.

The diablo fans profile you linked. It has the toon wearing Circle and cubed. My bad, wasnt specific enough.
Oh, I see what you're saying. Thanks for the catch. That's just the ordering I did when making the build...I updated it :).

I'm currently testing a Phys/CC/CHC 10 generic amulet I have vs. an IAS/CC/CHC haunted visions. I'm leaning towards the physical actually...the HV is nice but you rarely need Simulacrum for a full 30 secs and the life drain actually sucks big time. I think the 15 sec burst might be enough while the 20% phys bonus effects everything all the time.

We shall see.
95 down. Need more augments!

So happy I don't have to play trags anymore to level gems in the mid 90s.
So, this is the same Rathma build that everyone is running except Sim vs. LoD?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/necromancer-skeletal-mages-build-with-rathma-and-jesseth-sets-patch-2-6-season-11
Thanks for the post again Kevin. Just gave it a quick run-through and I like it. You really are a boon to this community......
08/10/2017 07:19 AMPosted by ZannX
So, this is the same Rathma build that everyone is running except Sim vs. LoD?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/necromancer-skeletal-mages-build-with-rathma-and-jesseth-sets-patch-2-6-season-11

Yup that looks pretty similar. I did say in my post that theres probably something similar out there so I dont really understand the need to point it out again. But...if you want to be like that go for it, all you.

Id also argue that LotD variants are more CDR dependent and less consistent than Simulacrum. Also if LotD is down good luck restarting vs a pack after a death. We also cover the Haunted Vision/CoE variant which is different.

08/10/2017 08:20 AMPosted by evok
Thanks for the post again Kevin. Just gave it a quick run-through and I like it. You really are a boon to this community......

Thanks! I enjoy the forums and helping out wherever I can. Sometimes it's just as much fun as the actual game. I'm always willing to talk here or in game.
Anyone else getting noticeable lag when casting (or trying to cast) mages and decrepify with this build? (I'm on eu server).
08/11/2017 01:52 PMPosted by Jazz
Anyone else getting noticeable lag when casting (or trying to cast) mages and decrepify with this build? (I'm on eu server).

I think it's a class problem. I get random "lag" when using abilities too, but I think it's the button press simply not registering rather than lag.
With extended Servitude only extended the base durration its not really worth using. Boneprision will give your more cc and proc krispen more often or Spreading malidiction if you clump mobs together.

Personally I run boneprison and just kill them from far with ghosts and stuff geting trapped in the prison.
Thanks for the good guide. Been doing similar myself in season, 2 things though.

1) Do you find you have potentially excessive amounts of CC? Between Sudden Impact, Dizzying Curse, Zei's, and Command Skele/Freezing Grasp that is a lot of different ways to trigger your CC. I've been having some good luck using Dark Mending on command, with TnT it is actually a lot of health return (more than offsets haunted visions) and I don't really notice the loss of the freeze. Especially sense 7 skeletons on a target tends to trigger dizzying curse near instantly.

2) You seem to have a mis-applied stat on your boots. Pretty sure 'blind %' should be skeletal mage damage. (in the Dfans profile)
So, everyone keeps saying eternal servitude is a must but it really is not. It does basically nothing. It is calculated off the base duration of the mages and does not include the ring bonus (1.25 seconds added). This is virtually worthless. If you are using a simulacrum build you are better off with Blood is Power, at least in my opinion.

As for using a neck with physical dmg bonus. Having 2 physical damage boosts do not stack up like other multipliers. IE two 20% is not 40%.

I am currently stuck at 95 myself but I use an odd variation that uses requiem.
(edited some wrong stuff)

As a side note, Blood is Power is not a flat 20% cool down reduction if you already have some cdr.
4 sec ring + extended servitude the expected lenght should be 12.5 seconds. (6+4)*1.25=12.5 but in reality its 4+(6*1.25)=11.5. So servitude is in reality +1.5 sec durraction. Quite big sacrifice when it comes to passives.
08/11/2017 04:24 PMPosted by Silben
Thanks for the good guide. Been doing similar myself in season, 2 things though.

1) Do you find you have potentially excessive amounts of CC? Between Sudden Impact, Dizzying Curse, Zei's, and Command Skele/Freezing Grasp that is a lot of different ways to trigger your CC. I've been having some good luck using Dark Mending on command, with TnT it is actually a lot of health return (more than offsets haunted visions) and I don't really notice the loss of the freeze. Especially sense 7 skeletons on a target tends to trigger dizzying curse near instantly.

2) You seem to have a mis-applied stat on your boots. Pretty sure 'blind %' should be skeletal mage damage. (in the Dfans profile)

1. It's something I've thought about but haven't tried...ill have to give it a whirl. My only concern is losing that "oh !@#$" button when something gets too close. That stun can save you.

2. Good catch, ty. Will update in the am when dfans hopefully decides to work properly for me.

08/11/2017 04:34 PMPosted by Kolmar
So, everyone keeps saying eternal servitude is a must but it really is not. It does basically nothing. It is calculated off the base duration of the mages and does not include the ring bonus (1.25 seconds added). This is virtually worthless. If you are using a simulacrum build you are better off with Blood is Power, at least in my opinion.

As for using a neck with physical dmg bonus. Having 2 physical damage boosts do not stack up like other multipliers. IE two 20% is not 40%.

I am currently stuck at 95 myself but I use an odd variation that uses requiem.

1. Pretty sure its a 1.5 second buff (4 + (6 x 1.25) = 11.5 (vs 10 secs with ring), which is a 15% increase in duration, is more valuable than an inconsistent bump in Simulacrum CDR. The idea is to not get hit period and we already have some cdr so Blood is Power would be so blah.
That and the fact it would effect none of my other skills too, seems kind of like a waste. I'm not saying you're wrong, I haven't tried it, but in theory more mage duration sounds better to me. I think the only other real competitor there is Spreading Malediction....but with a plodding build like this I don't want a huge screen full of mobs at once so I mean towards more mage time again.

2. Still testing a 20 phys/10/100 ammy vs a 750 int/10/100 HV. Haven't played enough yet to comment. HV is going to win out significantly when there is adequate density but that's not always the case.

I'm not sure I understand your point about physical damage. Elemental damage affixes are an additive independent multiplier. IE having two 20% rolls will give you a 1.4x multiplier on all damage of that element. There are no diminishing returns like with CDR or Armor.

08/11/2017 05:39 PMPosted by Rizso
4 sec ring + extended servitude the expected lenght should be 12.5 seconds. (6+4)*1.25=12.5 but in reality its 4+(6*1.25)=11.5. So servitude is in reality +1.5 sec durraction. Quite big sacrifice when it comes to passives.

1.5 seconds is a long time in Diablo. That's easily enough time to buy a much more powerful mage on the next cast IMO. I'll have to experiment with swapping it by my gut tells me I'll be disappointed.