To everyone closing a rift early try this

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
If you want to argue that closing a rift is better than clearing the entire thing, and you want to say clearing 3 rifts at 2 floors each is the same as clearing 6 floors on a rift then here is what I want you to do.

The next 4 rifts you do,

The first 3 only pick up the keys, and DO NOT PICK UP ANY ITEMS OR MATS, then close it, on the 4th rift, clear out the entire thing and pick up all the items and mats from every floor.

According to people you will make up for all the items in one rift than you didn't pick up in the first 3 rifts.

Now continue repeating this every 4 rifts. If you're willing to skip the last 3-4 levels in every rift, then you should be willing to do the revers and not pick up any items or mats in the first 3 rifts you do.

That situation is exactly what you are doing when you close a rift early you leave all the items and mats behind on all the floors you skip. So After you do that, then come back here and try to say you aren't LOSING mats and items.
Highly Rated
OP is assuming that items and mats are why a player does a rift. A lot of players do the regular rift just for the key. The items and mats have zero value for them. Therefore, closing the rift and opening a new one is the only way to get the one thing they did the rift for. The extra floors are just a waste of time.

Now look at it this way: let's say you did 6 floors of a rift to complete or did 3 rifts of 2 floors closing at RG. You still did 6 floors in both instances. However, you've gotten 3X bonus XP for closing the rift not to mention 3X rift guardian items and mats. Plus 3 keys versus one for basically the same time investment. Seems to me as if closing is better.
You're logic is flawed.

What you really should be doing is items per minute calculations. Record the uptake in yellow blue white mats, as well as souls and leg ( add together), and greens you do in 20 mins of play ( which is actually very short. 1hr for a better test) with closing the rift immediately every time. And do the same for the same length of time going to the end of each rift. And compare. This will automatically take on consideration the 30 sec cooldown between rifts.

Let me know those results, cause I'm very interested to know, but not willing to run the test myself anytime soon.
Monsters are not pre-filled loot pinatas. The loot spawns after you kill it.

You do not "own" the monster at the time you generate it. You get the reward from the monster after you spend the time to kill it.

Killing monsters takes time. Killing = Time
Killing monsters gives loot. Killing = Loot
Taking the time to kill monsters gives you loot. Time = Loot

The *only* variable on how much loot you get at any given difficulty level is how many monsters you kill. The only efficiency is killing more in the same amount of time. It does not matter if the monsters you are killing are on rift level 4 or rift level 1. You *do* get a small reward for killing a RG in the form of bloodshards, which give you bonus loot from Kadala. Therefore it is slightly more efficient to start a new rift, the blood shards give you more loot chances than is lost in the 30 second downtime.

But, but, but ... none of this actually matters. There is randomness and inefficiency built in, you have to periodically clear out your inventory and each kill is only a chance at loot, not a guarantee.

Therefore, kill whatever is fun and keep killing those things in order to "win" at Diablo 3.
Yep. If my main goal is to get the most rift keys in the shortest amount of time possible, then I'm closing it ASAP.
Closing a rift right away and opening a new one is the only intelligent option. The likelihood you run into goblins and rares in the next floor or the next rift is exactly the same. Grab your key and move onto the next rift!!!!!!

Do anti rift closers get OCD every time they open a brand new game? Just imagine if people went all crazy every time they opened a brand new game! GUYS WE MUST CLEAR ALL THE ZONES/MAPS Acts 1-5 because if we don't we might miss something! We are losing out if we don't clear it guys!!!!!!!! It's totally wasted if we don't clear it!

It's like people who spam I HAVE NEMESIS, I HAVE NEMESIS! Okay so get to the shrine faster because I can move 3-5 seconds any direction and find what your nemesis provides. I'm not going to wait 30+ seconds for you to arrive at the shrine.......

Mobs/monster are infinite it's just up to RNG what they will be.....

Always close and open a new rift!
One thing that does piss me off is when someone closes a rift and leaves the game right afterward. Thanks for caring only about yourself and your bonus XP, douchebag. The rest of us were planning to clear the rift.
Why is this still an issue?

It's very simple: if you want to do full clears, then find three like-minded players and make a private game.

But if you're just going into public games, all bets are off. Get over it.
You all argue with me about this profusely and how I'm wrong...so No no... people you all cannot spin this backwards.. What you all argued with me about works both ways

So stop trolling and arguing and making excuses and put your money where your mouth is...

If you are all so sure that you don't lose items and mats do what I just laid out as a test. But now it seems when I apply what you said to yourselves no one wants to do it but yet will keep closing rifts early because you're a bunch trolling hypocrites who will argue, but will never go ahead and actually apply what you said.
OR...... you get 3 other friends that dont want to close and you go make a party and play with yourselves..

You know... use the party options in the game.
It has been proven on more than one occasion that kill the RG then closing and starting a new rift actually is more rewarding than full clears, here's why:

1: Rift contents are not fully determined at rift open, but as you go through the rift. It is spawning contents, containers and monsters as you go through it. You can see this effect if you get disconnected while in mid rift and follow the rift through, you eventually hit a point where it just... ends. That is how far the rift had generated before you got disconnected. So thinking the rifts are pre-determined and you are missing things is completely not true.

2: The % amount of legendaries vs time does not change. If you play for a long enough period of time, you will find that there is a certain amount of legendaries per hour. This holds true whether you complete a rift to its end, or just do rifts and kill the RG and start over. While it may feel at times its rewarding, over a long enough time, it is the same.

3: Same goes for goblin spawn chances. They do not increase once the RG is dead. You have the same chance for a single or a pack or a shrine for goblins to appear the same whether you fully clear or run to the RG close and repeat.

4: You will collect bloodshards and rift keys way faster playing rifts to the RG then close and repeat. MUCH faster.

5: Since the RG also drops things like souls, rift keys, experience, (and closing the rift also gives you experience) you actually gain ALL these things FASTER if you aren't doing full clears.

Over all of that, doing full clears is actually slowing you down and wasting your time. It may not be what you want to hear, and it sure may not feel that way, but its true.

If you would like to see these results for yourself, you can. Run full clears for a full hour, record how much EXP you gained, how many leg items you got, blood shards, rift keys, death breaths, goblins encountered etc. Give it a honest run. Then spend an hour running rifts, killing the RG close then start a new rift. run the rifts using whatever killing methods for both. If you do that, you will be surprised I think at the results.

Game on.
Billy and Sammy both have to take the train to get home.

Billy is smart, he looks up the fastest route and is doing homework while riding the train, so that when he gets home he can do whatever he wants with the time gained.

Sammy insists on taking the slow train home so he can play his game boy longer. Little does he know he's going to get home much later and still have to sit through his homework.

There, understand it now ? You lose diddly squat by closing the rift after the guardian dies. By restarting a rift you gain more rift keys, which you won't have to farm later. If you are that upset about the 30 sec close timer you can close and return to the rift.

Absolutely the only reason I'll keep going after killing the guardian is if it's raining elites and légendaires, and I'm having fun. Well, and if I'm PL-in someone that's now at 68, I will keep at it to get him to 70 and move up the difficulty.
08/02/2017 02:05 PMPosted by tx3000
If you want to argue that closing a rift is better than clearing the entire thing, and you want to say clearing 3 rifts at 2 floors each is the same as clearing 6 floors on a rift then here is what I want you to do.

The next 4 rifts you do,

The first 3 only pick up the keys, and DO NOT PICK UP ANY ITEMS OR MATS, then close it, on the 4th rift, clear out the entire thing and pick up all the items and mats from every floor.

According to people you will make up for all the items in one rift than you didn't pick up in the first 3 rifts.

Now continue repeating this every 4 rifts. If you're willing to skip the last 3-4 levels in every rift, then you should be willing to do the revers and not pick up any items or mats in the first 3 rifts you do.

That situation is exactly what you are doing when you close a rift early you leave all the items and mats behind on all the floors you skip. So After you do that, then come back here and try to say you aren't LOSING mats and items.

Wish I had the emoji that is hitting it's head against the wall to post.

No matter how you cut it

Rift 1: E + E + E + RG + E + E + E (clear) still equals
Rift 1: E + E + RG (new game) + E + E + E + E

It's all RNG, you can't predict what your drops would of been by closing early.

Unless you read the programing and can see that the % of drop's increase after the RG is killed then all your doing is assuming.

I will close after RG each and every time unless there is nice density or raining legs for that run.

Ever wonder why some runs you get 15 legs and some you get 1 or 2?
Maybe read your original post, and tell us who is the one spinning this backwards.
I would also like to add that you completely have the option to run full clears if you want. Play your way. But when playing in public games, the majority of the groups are going to play more efficiently, rather than doing full clears and wasting their time.
Nah, it's just you who refuse to grasp the concept of how the world and loot is generated. The next rift level isn't designed until you enter it. So your level next level in a rift after RG, is in theory the exact same level as the one you'd get from a new rift.

It all comes down to the main mechanic of the game, the RNG (Random Number Generator). And that little thing is going to randomize in the same order no matter what you do. Killing monster A or killing monster B will grant the same result because RNG will roll the same value no matter what in its sequence of random numbers.

The only thing that changes, is whether or not you are moving closer to a huge reward - that is RG.

Players running full clears will not encounter more goblin packs, more items nor better items or anything alike. They will only gain fewer GR keys and less mats and less bloodshards per invested hour, because they kill fewer guardians.

Full clears used to be a thing because you had to "pay" for entering, and so players wanted the full amount of loot from that payment, but even then it was proven that full clears had no real benefit. And with the new terrible random map generator it's actually a good thing to remake the rift, as otherwise you'll get stuck in bad maps - because that's what the game tend to do today.
You all argue with me about this profusely and how I'm wrong...so No no... people you all cannot spin this backwards..

You all seem to think you are not losing mats and items by closing the rifts early because you can just make up the difference in the next couple of rifts. You also refuse to accept that WHAT IS BEING LEFT BEHIND is what matters.

So I set it up to show you that everyone is incorrect on this. You cannot apply what you do one way but not the other. So I simply set this up to show you that you are losing items and mast by leaving everything behind you don't get.

But now it seems when I apply what you said to yourselves no one wants to do it but yet will keep closing rifts early...why is that

You have got to be the dumbest person on this forum. You have no clue what you are talking about. Your stupid suggestion is not even close to being relevant. Why would someone not pick up loot from things they kill? You already spent the time to kill something you may as well pick up the loot. What we are saying which you don't seem to be able to understand is no one wants to waste time killing extra stuff for possible loot when there is no other benefit such as progression to another rift guardian and more keys.

I am going to try to explain things in a guide for idiots kind of way to try to help you understand.

Our way:
Kill mobs on 3 levels while picking up loot then kill rift guardian for keys.
Kill mobs on 3 levels while picking up loot in new rift then kill rift guardian for keys.

Your way:
Kill mobs on 3 levels while picking up loot then kill rift guardian for keys.
Kill 3 more levels of mobs while picking up loot in same rift but no rift guardian.

About the same amount of time and effort in both. Our way gets extra keys. There is no missing out on loot from mobs you killed.

Or let me put it to you this way. If you think we are missing out on loot from things we did not kill then you are missing out on loot from things in the new rifts that we killed and you did not in the same amount of time. Is either of us missing out on more loot? We killed about the same amount of mobs from about 3 levels worth. By your reasoning you missed out on all the loot we were getting while you were in the old rift. See how that works?
I agree if you wanna do full clears do full clears. You are going to be hard pressed to find 3 other people willing to play so inefficiently though.
I have 1500 keys so I do whatever the group wants to do. Some players only care about themselves, speed runners close on others and leave the game, leaving the others saying "what the hell." It's much better to have a clan. You will always have that one guy who wants to do it his way and could care less about others. That is why so many play solo, so they do not have to deal with these dweebs.