To everyone closing a rift early try this

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
If down time between rifts is comparable to the clear speed (say you clear under 2-3 minutes), then maybe it makes sense to clear the rift. But then again you will lose on blood shards and gr keys.

So unless it's pure joy to clear, there is no point to clear it.
08/02/2017 02:05 PMPosted by tx3000
If you want to argue that closing a rift is better than clearing the entire thing, and you want to say clearing 3 rifts at 2 floors each is the same as clearing 6 floors on a rift then here is what I want you to do.

The next 4 rifts you do,

The first 3 only pick up the keys, and DO NOT PICK UP ANY ITEMS OR MATS, then close it, on the 4th rift, clear out the entire thing and pick up all the items and mats from every floor.

According to people you will make up for all the items in one rift than you didn't pick up in the first 3 rifts.

Now continue repeating this every 4 rifts. If you're willing to skip the last 3-4 levels in every rift, then you should be willing to do the revers and not pick up any items or mats in the first 3 rifts you do.

That situation is exactly what you are doing when you close a rift early you leave all the items and mats behind on all the floors you skip. So After you do that, then come back here and try to say you aren't LOSING mats and items.

Look, I'm all for clearing a rift when myself or the group is up to it, but your logic seems flawed. The argument for not clearing rifts is that the time you're spending to clear the rift beyond the guardian could have been used to work towards the next guardian and you'd get, on average, the same number of mats and legendaries as you would for clearing beyond the RG.

It's a logical argument and makes a lot of sense, particularly for people that are more focused on acquiring keys and bloodshards than they are blowing up monsters.

The way you wrote it is somehow if you don't pick up the items at all for 3 rifts, the fourth will magically drop as much as the previous three nonlooted rifts combined? That makes no sense at all.

Personally I like clearing rifts when I feel up for it, but only because I just enjoy blowing monsters and not always worrying that I'm optimizing the amount of junk I get.
This is a serious ( related) question.

I have in the past been doing rifts to farm DBs. If I kill a RG on some particular maps (eg, the field of Misery map) I will often clear three map as I "feel" I there are more elites and champs on those maps. Am I fooling myself, or am I getting the DB increase I believe I getting??

Note: once the map is clear, I close the rift and start a new rift.
08/02/2017 02:51 PMPosted by storytime42

I have in the past been doing rifts to farm DBs. If I kill a RG on some particular maps (eg, the field of Misery map) I will often clear three map as I "feel" I there are more elites and champs on those maps. Am I fooling myself, or am I getting the DB increase I believe I getting??

No there are levels that tend to have higher elite density. Players have already said that if you encounter this then many people will clear the level but they would not move on to the next level.

Edit: Just to be clear the no means no you are not fooling yourself.
08/02/2017 02:15 PMPosted by Blitzcano
GUYS WE MUST CLEAR ALL THE ZONES/MAPS Acts 1-5 because if we don't we might miss something!

This made me chuckle. Good description.

In a way you could be fooling yourself. You could end up with as many elites available for killing in the next rift. You never really know for sure as the floors are only generated once a player enters them. The thing is, if you're after shards or keys, you'd be better off starting the next rift as you can work on killing elites for DB's while gathering the orbs to generate the next RG for that burst of loot, shards and keys. Then close and repeat.

Or, you continue as you are and just blow up demons for the fun of it and not worry about efficiency and see what you get. It could be more than the next rift, or it could be less if you don't count the RG.

Do whichever way you find the most fun, neighbour. I tend to not worry about efficiency myself, but I am not the competitive type when it comes to games.

If you see an elite, kill it. Because Deaths Breaths, zomg need more.
If they only had an Exit Guardian that you have to kill before you could use the exit pylon......
Not closing rifts is a relic of when it was 5 bounty stones to open 1 rift and even then it wasn't worth finishing.

Now that they are free you'd have to be a driveling idiot to go past the RG.

When doing normals you are always picking up mats at the same pace. You get 1 hour of mats for 1 hour of play no matter what. Going past the RG only serves to net you less blood shards and keystones.

Again. Only a complete moron doesn't close.
If you want to argue that closing a rift is better than clearing the entire thing, and you want to say clearing 3 rifts at 2 floors each is the same as clearing 6 floors on a rift then here is what I want you to do.

The next 4 rifts you do,

The first 3 only pick up the keys, and DO NOT PICK UP ANY ITEMS OR MATS, then close it, on the 4th rift, clear out the entire thing and pick up all the items and mats from every floor.

According to people you will make up for all the items in one rift than you didn't pick up in the first 3 rifts.

You have really not understood a thing about this.
Not closing rifts is a relic of when it was 5 bounty stones to open 1 rift and even then it wasn't worth finishing.

Now that they are free you'd have to be a driveling idiot to go past the RG.
Again. Only a complete moron doesn't close.

Some people like to clear rifts simply because they don't care about micromanagement of loot acquired/time. There is nothing wrong with that as fun is subjective and can differ from individual to individual. You disagree with clearing rifts, which is fine. But it is narrow minded and childish to insult others over their play preference. Just because you don't like completing rifts doesn't make it wrong.
This topic is so 2 years ago...

It made sense to complain about early closes when normal rifts required rift stones that had to be painstakingly collected from bounties. But normal rifts don't cost anything now. OP's post and those like it make very little sense now to the point that responses talk about such minutiae as items per minute. Unbelievable...

I think I'd rather complain about twist off beer caps vs non-twist off beer caps.
That situation is exactly what you are doing when you close a rift early you leave all the items and mats behind on all the floors you skip. So After you do that, then come back here and try to say you aren't LOSING mats and items.

Then you better remember to kill every single mob on every single floor, break every single breakable, open every single chest, because the one you miss will guaranteed be the perfect primal you are looking for. Missing one potential drop means you have missed that primal FOREVER!!!.
08/02/2017 03:28 PMPosted by nslay
I think I'd rather complain about twist off beer caps vs non-twist off beer caps.

But...what is there to complain about besides the fact both caps get in the way of the golden barley goodness?

08/02/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Alexismad
Then you better remember to kill every single mob on every single floor, break every single breakable, open every single chest, because the one you miss will guaranteed be the perfect primal you are looking for. Missing one potential drop means you have missed that primal FOREVER!!!.

I don't always clear rifts, but when I do I break enough pottery to make Link himself green with envy.
What the hell did I just read...

Closing after the RG gives:

3x the keys
3x the blood shards
Same amount of mats

Those 3x keys and 3x shards will lead to more gem upgrades and xp and more Kadala gambles though...

Why would anyone do a full clear?

The only time you might not close after the RG death is if you have a dense open floor rift. Then you might clear that level. But you wouldn't full clear the entire rift. That is just so inefficient and stupid...
"It is foolish to listen to one who will not listen to you. Do as you wish." ~ Seijuro Hiko
I used to do full clears. Then my followers unfriended me because they have pride and self respect.
I just made a rift without going to the end obelisk and didn't kill the rift guardian. I left the game.

Now what?
My friends and i tend to make a decision based on the current level of the rift when the RG dies, and i think this highlights a problem with the game.

If we kill the RG on a level that is packed with mobs/elites on an opens world map we tend to clear the level, check to see if the next level is good and then close.

If we kill the RG on one of the terrible maps that are almost deserted of mobs and full of narrow tunnels and dead ends, then we close the rift and hope for a better one next rift.

It may not be the most efficient or effective, but for us its the most fun, we play the game to kill endless mobs, not to navigate down empty narrow passages set out like a maze with hardly a mob in site, why is that even a thing?