Challenge Rift 08/28/2017

General Discussion
It's not a high clear (51) but it's quite easy to die. All the people complaining about how easy previous rifts were should give it a shot.
the barbarian is a clear failure. if you cant get off a shot before dying, then theres no point. my toughness is four times higher than that without even trying.
Is this the spagetto that's always numero uno in challenge rift leader boards? If it is, well done sir.
"Easy to die" is an understatement. You get can get one-shotted by the first blazing ghoul you encounter. There are glass cannon and tank builds. This one is spit-ball shooter build.
Tried a few different strats and all fail. The damage feels so low for your fragility and the timer goes way faster than you can kill as a result. I see quite a few people were able to beat the timer but I cannot figure out how.

WW into group, knocking them up/back
Rend once very quickly
Keep WWing, refreshing 1/4 when buffs expire, 2 when barbarian allies die (or at start of elite fight), and 3 whenever it's off cooldown (Zodiac Ring / In-geom help keep CD low).

I've tried skipping elites, skipping non-elites, clearing everything, rushing to the power conduit on first floor and then trying to kill enemies that way, etc. Not enjoying this challenge rift build at all.
08/28/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Mapex
Tried a few different strats and all fail. The damage feels so low for your fragility and the timer goes way faster than you can kill as a result. I see quite a few people were able to beat the timer but I cannot figure out how.

WW into group, knocking them up/back
Rend once very quickly
Keep WWing, refreshing 1/4 when buffs expire, 2 when barbarian allies die (or at start of elite fight), and 3 whenever it's off cooldown (Zodiac Ring / In-geom help keep CD low).

I've tried skipping elites, skipping non-elites, clearing everything, rushing to the power conduit on first floor and then trying to kill enemies that way, etc. Not enjoying this challenge rift build at all.

Stopping to Rend can get you killed in an instant, just ignore using the skill if you're having issues surviving as it doesn't provide a meaningful damage boost.
08/28/2017 02:26 PMPosted by Spagetto
It's not a high clear (51) but it's quite easy to die. All the people complaining about how easy previous rifts were should give it a shot.

Not terribly difficult if you've played WW. If you are unfamiliar with WW you will likely have a rough go of it.

2nd attempt got my reward...won't run it again. I do enjoy the free mats but maybe you could just mail them to me every week and I can just bypass the CRs altogether.
Done in under the time. Not my favorite but not the worst (looking at the monk from a couple weeks ago).

Skipped the majority of the first few elite packs and concentrated mostly on trash. The right timing in using your skills is very important so you don't get stuck in the middle of packs. Hardly used rend except for on the last 2 packs and the boss.

The life and toughness are so low it feels like a well placed breeze could kill me. Definitely a WiP toon for someone.
This week Challenge Rift is a great example in hazard evaluation versus risk/reward. Wastes is one of my preferred play styles for Barbarian, so I have a tiny bit of an upper hand there. ;)

I'm excited to see this week's leaderboard competition. I think there's a lot to be gained from the benefits of Challenge Rifts here; memorizing layout, packs, elite affixes, pylon locations, and getting your timing down all seem like integral tactics to achieving the best time here.

Thanks for starting this week's discussion, Spagetto! We'll see if I can give you a run for your money this week.

(Not really. You're a pro. D:)

Good.

08/28/2017 04:31 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Thanks for starting this week's discussion, Spagetto! We'll see if I can give you a run for your money this week.

The guy is a monster.
lol all these people complaining it's impossible. Clearly it's not, since y'know, it's based on an actual clear. Apparently somewhere out there is a true D3 god!!!

lol Just forget about the elite at the bottom of the first stairs.

Was not too bad, first clear got top 75.

This challenge rift is a lesson on:

A) Just how bad of a spot Barbs are in compared to other classes (THIS IS BEING FIXED!!!)

B) When you have a weak character and low resistance, PUT SOME BLOODY DIAMONDS IN YOUR EQUIPMENT HAHA
So we may have to run it several times and remember map layouts and mob placements? I only do it for the mats and this sounds like a lot more work than a split bounty for less reward. If you want others like me to try these rifts, up the reward a wee bit.
08/28/2017 04:31 PMPosted by Nevalistis
This week Challenge Rift is a great example in hazard evaluation versus risk/reward. Wastes is one of my preferred play styles for Barbarian, so I have a tiny bit of an upper hand there. ;)

I'm excited to see this week's leaderboard competition. I think there's a lot to be gained from the benefits of Challenge Rifts here; memorizing layout, packs, elite affixes, pylon locations, and getting your timing down all seem like integral tactics to achieving the best time here.

Bullcrap! This was just a really bad build for a Whirlwind Barb plain and simple. My Whirlwind Barb had more toughness than this and didn't have such a crappy build. This requires a lot more work than for those trying to do the weekly challenge rift for the cache of resources you get. This was one of the worst builds you could pick for the challenge rift.

I was able to do this on my 5th try but it was definitely annoying as hell as it was too easy to die even from trash mobs.

I really doubt anyone would actually use this build in normal play. If you want people to do challenge rifts more often then up the reward to make us want to do these on a regular basis as it just makes it seem like it's just easier in the long run to just avoid challenge rifts entirely and just do bounties instead.
08/28/2017 06:49 PMPosted by Demonmonger

A) Just how bad of a spot Barbs are in compared to other classes (THIS IS BEING FIXED!!!)

B) When you have a weak character and low resistance, PUT SOME BLOODY DIAMONDS IN YOUR EQUIPMENT HAHA

Damage is getting a boost, but if you are worried about toughness on the WW barb, no changes there (other than the change to keep the toughness for 3 seconds after WW so can rend...but rend in its current state not usable so no one should be using it).
Yea, I hadn't even looked at the CR yet and after reading this thread, why would I try it when I can get. T13 split bounty completed in about 12-15 mins depending on level of players in the bounty game.

If the rewards were higher I would give a go, but for only 8 of each mat, nah.
08/28/2017 04:44 PMPosted by Ignatius
lol all these people complaining it's impossible. Clearly it's not, since y'know, it's based on an actual clear. Apparently somewhere out there is a true D3 god!!!

lol Just forget about the elite at the bottom of the first stairs.

I'm sure you have noticed that people around here love to complain.
08/28/2017 03:55 PMPosted by Shark
Not terribly difficult if you've played WW. If you are unfamiliar with WW you will likely have a rough go of it.

I cleared it third try - mostly because the RG one-shotted me a few times while trying to get my army back up.
It's definitely a challenge this week - many of the mobs are rough for WW barb - jailer, waller, molten, shielding but pop WotB at the elites and you'll be OK. The WW barb normally shines at gathering large groups but the low toughness, bad enemies and low density don't provide any advantage in this rift - too bad. The lack of density SUCKS - <sarcasm>can't wait for a CR on Shrouded Moors or Temple of the Firstborn</sarcasm>

08/28/2017 07:36 PMPosted by OrmusTR
other than the change to keep the toughness for 3 seconds after WW so can rend...but rend in its current state not usable so no one should be using it

I think the developers need to play these CRs and post their times - maybe they'll understand the flaws with some characters. The 3 second DR after WW is going to be great - if you stop to pick up something or get frozen/jailed you don't immediately get ganked.
I've never really played the class thoroughly, but even in past iterations it never felt so awfully squishy. I assume it's a problem with the build or something, although at first glance I wouldn't be able to pinpoint the problem. Tried spamming rend inbetween WW in a kind of stutter stepping fashion, which just led to death after death. The build just feels so absurdly weak for a full set. Even while unoptimized, I don't think I've ever felt that weak with any of the DH sets. I truly hope this isn't representative of the current barb situation. If it is, they really need a massive boost. I mean, it's just so counter intuitive. You gotta get in there face first, but you have the toughness of a wet paper towel. I can understand the "hazard evaluation" in builds supposed to apply hit and run tactics, but a WW barb? It's such a mess if this is how they have to play...
08/28/2017 07:36 PMPosted by OrmusTR
08/28/2017 06:49 PMPosted by Demonmonger

Damage is getting a boost, but if you are worried about toughness on the WW barb, no changes there (other than the change to keep the toughness for 3 seconds after WW so can rend...but rend in its current state not usable so no one should be using it).

If you look at the gear selection and the skill selection you could easily see things that could improve survivability quite a bit.